Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2014, 09:46:02 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  [Recruiting] Rising Unrest
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Recruiting] Rising Unrest  (Read 2604 times)
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 10:00:27 AM »

@Dhampire
On the way out the door for work, so I'll answer the easy question first.  Yes, you are welcome to take any blood feat not prohibited.

I'll grab my gear and see if I can't post some of the path/alignment/faith systems during my lunch break.

Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »

After some more looking through stuff, I'm actually thinking about dropping Assassin and take Martial Artist instead, if only so I can use Haze Basics and Mastery to the fullest. Plus, if I'm a dwarf/been trained by dwarves, it seems kinda fitting, relying only on my own two hands to stop errant mages...

Are Outsiders a thing in this setting? I was pondering maybe re-name and take the Harii Specialty, but I'm a bit worried that Demon Hunter will be an useless ability.

Finally, what level would we start at? I'd like to try and put some numbers down on paper, see how it shakes out...

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 02:22:37 PM »

I typically start my games at Level 3.

Re: Outsiders
"Demons?  No, my boy, there are no demons.  Our ancestors believed that there were ... and perahps some mages called up horrors from another place.  But now, with all that science offers us, we need never fear demons again."   Wink

The folk of the world is perfectly comforatble with unicorns and doxies and elementals.  Just part of life.  Drakes haven't been seen in over 50 years and their masters - the dragons - haven't been seen in even longer.  But only the oldest stories speak of demons/outsiders.  Doesn't mean they don't exist just that very few believe they were ever real to begin with.

Not much by way of an answer but you're touching on some metaplot issues.

Re: Paths/etc.
My lunch has mostly been spent on the phone with a guy traveling helping him with stuff.  I'll get that stuff loaded this evening.  (Or maybe later if I can get free.)

Antilles
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 02:41:42 PM »

So basically, a specialty that represents training in how to kill horrors and outsiders might not be the best fit? Oh well, Fist it is, then.

Edit: What are your feelings re: magic items?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:58:38 PM by Antilles » Logged

- Aesop
Reverandboo
Recruit

Mt dew, starbursts, chips, Mt dew

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 04:16:17 PM »

so level three huh. when did you want to get this thing kicked off? when do you want copies of our characters? i still have a few character issues to steam roll out but i think i have a good idea.

Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.
-Albert Einstein
jameswllorimer
Agent

"Alea iacta est" - The die is cast

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 06:20:19 PM »

If there's room for one more then I'd love to join (as life got in the way of the last forum game I tried to hop on board with).

I was thinking of a Saurian (Frogman) Scout, venturing into the ever-changing steam-world.
-or-
a Giant Courtier, a diplomat to the Union of Free Cities
-or-
a Dwarf Priest hailing from the brothers who tend the Dome of the Anvil.

Anyway, thanks if you've still got room.

J
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 11:53:45 PM »

@jameswllorimer
I'm basically taking applications at this point so feel free to drop yours in.

@Antilles
Well, we might be able to work something out if you are dead set on a demon hunter but he will stick out a bit.

RE: My Feelings on Magic Items
I think they are great.  I would love to have a Ring of Fat Repelling.  But I don't think you really wanted my personal thoughts.   Grin

I allow them: one charm / one essence max.  I tend to make them available on an as-needed basis for my players.  If you are jonesing for a magic item at the outset - well, we'll have to talk.  I don't normally hand out items at the start of the game.

In this setting, they are often viewed as dangerous items of power - and rightly so.  However, an artifact would be considered a loose nuke by pretty much anyone in power.

@All
REMINDER: I need your final character sketch by Saturday.  In case you are reaching for colored pencils, I'm speaking in terms of literature, not art.  Though, to be honest, I won't turn down that kind of sketch (drawing) either.  Remember, I'm looking at the collective cast to make sure there is some balance before I make final decisions about who is in.

As of today, here are the interested parties and some ideas:
Wolverine - human burglar
Catodon - Pech Artisan Keeper
Antilles - Some type of mage hunter with martial arts elements, maybe
lastknight1973 - saurian sorcerer priest OR unborn guardian soldier
Reverandboo - By the book mage inspired by Edward Elric and a touch of witch hunter robin
Dhampire - undeveloped ideas at present - waiting on me to post faiths/alignments
jameswllorimer - Saurian (Frogman) Scout OR Giant Courtier OR Dwarf Priest

jameswllorimer
Agent

"Alea iacta est" - The die is cast

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 02:35:10 AM »

Is there any chance you've got a bit more info on the religions of the world(both in terms of fluff and which Paths they use), particularly the dwarf ones so I could flesh out my last concept.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 03:58:43 AM »

Faiths/Alignments/and all that goes with them.

Alignment: Spirits
Skills: Investigate, Ride, Search, Survival
Paths: Nature, Protection, Spirits, Wilderness
Weapon: Great Club
Opposed Alignment: None per se.  However, any abilities that target an opposed alignment instead target those who despoil the environment.

Many, so called, primitive peoples worship the spirits - those of the ancestors and nature.  The priests - often called shamans - commune with the spirit world to ensure peace and tranquility as well as to ensure that balance between folk and nature is maintained.  Larger groups of ogres and some orcs follow this path; however, other folk have been known to follow this path.

---~~---

Alignment: Way of the Warrior
Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Ride, Tactics
Paths: Destruction, Heroism, Strength, War
Avatar: Warrior Spirit (Use stats for Guardian Angel but change strength to 15 and sword to Broad Axe)
Weapon: Broad Axe
Opposed Alignment: Way of Peace

More a life philosophy than a religion, the Way of the Warrior points its followers toward constant self improvement.  It requires one to sharpen his skills in battle if not outright war.  Because it may allow the individual a chance at some form of glory, many orcs follow this path to delay - if not prevent - their rebirth and the consequent loss of the paradise between lives.

---~~---

Alignment: Way of Peace
Skills: Blend, Investigate, Search, Sneak
Paths:  Knowledge, Life, Protection
Weapon: Unarmed/none
Opposed Alignment: Way of the Warrior

Those who follow the Way of Peace have forsaken violence and seek to better themselves through meditation and their world through action.  While they do not normally raise arms against others they may protect those weaker than themselves.  Though few orcs follow this path, there are some who feel that the best way to end the cycle of rebirth is to bring Paradise to the living world.

---~~---

Alignment: Dwarven Pantheon
Skills: Athletics, Haggle, Search and *
Paths:  Earth, Order and *
Avatar: Earth Elemental V or Water Elemental V (Idona only)
Weapon: *
Opposed Alignment: Kell Soul-breaker (See Dark King)

The Dwarven Pantheon represents the holy family.  Hrothgar is the patriarch of that family and was the first dwarf.  He is considered to be the All-Father.  He is the patron of priests and the nobility.  Freya, his wife, is the bearer of his children and the patron of both mothers and caregivers.  Hamar, his oldest son, forges dwarven souls on the Anvil of Life and is the patron of craftsmen.  His priests also serves as confessors and council those in need of repentance.  Dalgar, the second son, is a mighty warrior and hunter and is the patron of the same.  Idona, his daughter, is mistress of the seas.  She is patron of fishermen and sailors.  All dwarves are known to pray to her for safety when upon the water.

*The specific patron deity provides an additional skill, an additional path and the ritual weapon.

Hrothgar - Investigate - Knowledge - Throwing Spear
Freya - Survival - Protection - Quarter Staff
Hamar - Crafting - Metal - Mallet
Dalgar - Tactics - War - War Hammer
Idona - Ride# - Water - Harpoon

# The first focus of Ride MUST be water craft.

NOTE: only dwarves may take this alignment.  The priests teach that the other (lesser) folk have their own deities but that the holy family concern themselves only with dwarves.  A convert is only entertained if he/she has dwarven blood and undergoes a quest to prove his/her soul is truly dwarven.

---~~---

Alignment: Moon Godess / Green Man
Skills: Blend, Crafting, Ride and *
Paths:  Protection and *
Weapon: *
Opposed Alignment: Oblivion (see Dark King)

Though known by many names and faces the Moon Godess represents the feminine elements.  Her partner is the Green Man, both husband and child.  He represents the masculine elements.  They are partners by their priests / priestesses focus on different elements.  Many folk away from cities make offerings to these intertwined deities.  Even in the cities - if nature can be found, there are those who follow their path.

* Males and Females have different roles.  Therefore there are unique skills, paths and weapons.
Female - Prestidigitation - Life, Magic - Dagger
Male - Survival - Beasts, Wilderness - Quarter Staff

---~~---

Alignment: The Lord of the Purifying Flame
Skills: Acrobatics, Prestidigitation, Ride, Survival
Paths:  Fire, Nature, Order
Avatar: Angel of the Purifying Flame (Use stats for Fire Elemental V)
Weapon: Long Bow
Opposed Alignment: The Lord of Darkness (see Dark King)

Though most think of it as the religion of many saurians, this faith has adherents of all races.  The Lord of the Purifying Flame is believed by his faithful to be the only true god.  He is often referred to as "God" or "The One" - with the capital letters well understood by tone of voice.  The great temple in the Catama desert is surrounded by flowing water but a bright fire burns at its center.  All adherents to the faith keep a small shire with a flame constantly lit in their homes.  To them, it is not mere fire but a spiritual reminder that The One must purge them of all uncleanliness before they will be ready to join him in Heaven.  Smaller temples also maintain fires should a home-fire burn out.

---~~---

Alignment: Trickster
Skills: Bluff, Disguise, Prestidigitation, Sneak
Paths:  Chaos, Curses, Deceit
Weapon: Sling
Opposed Alignment: Varies*

The Trickster is worship in the small things in life.  The boy who eggs a noble, the women who tells her married lover that she is with child just to see the look on his face, and the noble who sets puzzles and pranks on all his guests have all - knowingly or not - worshiped at the altar of the Trickster.  Not surprisingly, priests of this deity are often practical jokers, clowns and jesters.  However, some veer into far more dangerous games ...

* He/she/it opposes everyone and no one as the situation requires.  Provided that tricks are played on others, the Trickster is happy.  If another moves to restrain this activity, then they have shown themselves to be in Opposition.

---~~---

Alignment: Seductress
Skills: Bluff, Disguise, Haggle, Prestidigitation
Paths:  Beauty, Deceit, Secrets
Weapon: Fan Blade
Opposed Alignment: None

The Seductress is often worshiped in the cities.  Every brothel has a shrine for those who work there.  She is even given the occasional offering by married folk (both men and women) who seek a little extra in their lovemaking.  She also is a favorite of spies as they often rely on wiles to seduce secrets from others.  Her priests and priestess are universally lovely (Comely feat strongly recommended), and excel at removing things from others - a bed and clothing are optional.

---~~---

Alignment: Sun God
Skills: Crafting, Investigate, Search, Tactics
Paths:  Good, Heroism, Life, Light
Weapon: Long Sword
Opposed Alignment: Dark King

The Sun God is known by many names, Helos, Onus, Ra, but the world over he is seen a benefactor and protector.  His priests teach that he smiles on believer and non-believer alike granting his protection to all.  His shield is the sun and he watches over the earth for signs of decay and corruption.  His houses of worship are open to all who need them and many come and worship on the first day of the week.

---~~---

Alignment: Dark King
Skills: Blend, Bluff, Disguise, Sneak
Paths:  Darkness, Death, Destruction, Evil
Weapon: Mace
Opposed Alignment: All (though not all see him as their opposite)

The Dark King is known by many names, Kell Soul-breaker, Oblivion, The Lord of Darkness.  If the Sun God gives the gifts of light, life and creation to the folk of the earth; if he protects them and offers them the chance to make something for themselves; then the Dark King seeks to bring darkness, death and destruction upon the folk of the earth; he seeks to tear down what they have built and enslave them to his will.  His followers blend into society, never showing their true faces.  One of his priests might be a beggar, another a blacksmith and still another a noble.  It is even whispered that some of his priests are brazen enough to pretend to the priestly mantle of another faith for a time.

Heroic characters should not take this alignment.

---~~---

In general most people are happily polytheistic.  They leave offerings when they feel something is important.  Translation: un-aligned.  However, there are devout followers of each faith - even the Dark King.

The average Joe on the street may leave an offering to the Sun God while on his way to a brothel so he can leave an offering to the Seductress before heading home to his wife who is leaving a saucer of milk out in honor of the tiniest spirits who bow to the Moon Goddess.  Neither of them are aligned.

Reverandboo
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 05:14:40 AM »

I'm really looking forward to seeing Catodon's character in action. Cheesy

Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.
-Albert Einstein
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 05:16:51 AM »

Shucks.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Reverandboo
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 05:20:27 AM »

Schucks? I had a vision today of a back up character idea if we end up being light on the muscle. a Dwarf Soldier and hardcore viking

-Albert Einstein
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 05:50:04 AM »

I dunno how prevalent the various summon spells are, but I was maybe thinking changing it from '+2 damage vs. standard horrors and outsiders' to '+2 damage vs. standard summoned creatures'. Or just pick a different benefit from the list in the wiki, whatever works.

As for magic items, the reason I'm asking is that if I take the Fist specialty, I'll have to choose between Master's Art and Haze Mastery, and both are very, very nice to have. If I pick Harii the problem's moot, but if I stick with Fist I was thinking of some doodad with the Haze Basics feat.

- Aesop
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 01:34:02 PM »

Schucks?

I think he means it in the "Aw, shucks.  It wasn't nothing." kind of way.

If you are seriously thinking viking, then consider the Cliff Born dwarves.  They were - in some ways - the founders of what became the Dwarven Empire but got kicked to the side by the nobles of the Mountain Clan.  They tend to fall into two camps: traders who sail the Southern Sea making a fortune and pirates who ... also sail the Southern Sea making a fortune; although, they often do it with more bloodshed.

---~~---

@Antilles
Depends on the mage and the school he attended.  Some don't summon, other pretty much just summon things.  To be honest, I'd advise against Harii at this point.

Now I better understand your question on magical items.  I will say no magic doodad for the beginning of the adventure but it would be a possibility with time.  

NOTE: I tend to go light on magic items so that the characters can shine.  It gets old when the barkeep says things like, "Oh, you're the guy with the magic carpet.  Can we see it?"  rather than, "Oh, you're the guy who defeated that rogue sorcerer.  First round's on the house."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:47:53 PM by ludomastro » Logged

Reverandboo
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 03:23:56 PM »

Dwarf viking just a sidebar in case we need more tanks. Still like to stick to the mage for myself.

-Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: