Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 01:00:25 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  [Recruiting] Rising Unrest
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Recruiting] Rising Unrest  (Read 2539 times)
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2011, 01:14:26 AM »

Platform: play by post here on the forums

The folk of the southlands enjoy life.  Times continue to change and mostly things seem to be moving in a positive direction.  The steam engine is making inroads into all kinds of places.  It brings with it wealth and increased production.  Decent quality good have reasonable prices.  Science seems to have answers around every corner and those responsible don't seem to hide in their towers and keep secrets to themselves the way wizards do.

Nevertheless, every engine means fewer people have work to do and those that work have fewer coins in their pockets.  While the goods are cheaper the purses are lighter.  Perhaps lighter than they were before ... in relative terms.  Nonetheless, life goes on.

Rumors from the west say the Dwarven War of Succession may soon come to an end.  The bards sing and travelers tell stories that House Stonefist seems poised to crush House Sunspear.  If they do, then House Jadeheart would be forced to yield.  Normally such things would have no bearing on the Union of Free Cities; however, Dalgar Stonefist has sworn that the Empire must be reborn - in fire and ashes if necessary.

To the east Andora sits restless in its large mountain valleys.  It would seem that a new power further east has them on edge.  Their wall prevents all but the wildest of rumors from coming this far.

Thankfully, the dwarves (and other free folk) of the Hills of the Emerald Dawn have offered their solidarity with the Union should the now shattered Dwarven Empire raise it's head once more.  That is to say, the bards still sing of the friendship between the folk of the Emerald Hills and the folk of the Union.  But will the Ruling Council keep their word in the face of the combined might of the Grey Mountains?

These are times of adventure!

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:14:43 AM »

Available resources:
FC main book
Adventure Companion - No Master Classes

Permanent Campaign Qualities:
Deadly Combat
Fragile Heroes
Hewn Limbs
Luck Abounds
Miracles
Sorcery

Available Races:
Dwarf
Giant
Human
Ogre
Orc
Pech
Saurian
Unborn

Banned Feats:
Elf-blooded
Goblin-blooded
Cute N' Cuddly
Nasty Little Git
Sky Clutch/Crest
Lava Born/Clan
Jewel Born/Clan

Useful Setting Information
The Dwarven Kingdoms are in the west beneath, on and in the Grey Mountains.  To their south lies the frozen waste.  The only thing of any apparent consequence on the ice is the Dome of the Anvil.  It is the holiest site on this plane for any dwarf.  Beneath the dome is an anvil shaped piece of iron where Hrothgar - the first dwarf (and their God) - came to rest.  It is also the anvil upon which his son, Hamar, began forging the souls of all dwarves.  The glaciers are also home to the Glacier Clan - many of whom become priests.  Those of the Mountain Clan claim right of rule over all dwarves and lesser folk.  The Empire once stretched across the Southern Sea but fell into war and self destruction some 700 years ago.

The giants of the Razor's Spine seem to get along well with everyone.  Some even are recognized as citizens of Andora.  Other giants ... are a mixed bag.  Some work well with others and some don't.  Most don't acknowledge the imaginary lines on maps that outline one nation or city's territory.

Most humans live in cities along the Southern Sea though they can be found among the Hills of the Emerald Dawn, Andora and on the islands of the sea.

The ogres have no home.  At least none that they know.  They are shunned by most as they are often grotesque.  Some are accepted into an orc tribe but this is rare.  Some find service in armies.  Others worship at the alter of brutality and become mercenaries.

The orc inhabit the plains to the north and east of the Grey Mountains.  They value bravery in battle and yearn for a glorious death that will be kept in song.  The longer their legend lives the longer they can stay in Paradise and need not be reborn to forge their legend anew.  Some have sought the cities of human and pech alike to try their fortunes.

The pech enjoy life among the rivers from the eastern portion of the plains to the Razor's Spine in the east.  The boundary between the Union and Andora.  Some farm, others ride the river and some walk the land with their goods.

Many saurians live in the Camata desert to the north.  In general they are Disciples of the Flame and seek to spread their belief in one supreme being to others.  However, not all that seem themselves as saurian follow this path.  The Effet - sometimes called Frogmen - live in the forested swamps found along the rivers.

The unborn are not a race so much as folk have no other name for them.  Whether they are the golems of the old songs made by magic for purposes unknown, or spirits of the land that invest the very rocks of the earth, or cadaverous flesh given a mockery of life by either magic most foul or science gone astray they are all unique.  Recently, however, there is a new breed: clockwork facsimiles of folk.  No one seems to know where they come from.  Even the unborn seem not to know where they were made or why.  None can say what gives such a clockwork creature the spark of life.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:59:07 AM by ludomastro » Logged

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:13:11 AM »

Ok, a few more things.

The party will spend a great deal of time based out of Riverton - a large trading city a few miles up-river of Goodharbor, the capital city (of sorts) of the Union of Free Cities.  Thus, prizes such as holdings are encouraged.

I'm allowing the following feat tree as gear feats.  It's still in testing so I reserve the right to modify as needed during play.

Since I strive for a play experience that relies as much on social as combat, I try to keep the party balanced.  Thus, I would like a thumbnail sketch of your character concept.  Following that line of logic, this will NOT be a first come - first play type of recruiting experience.  I'd like those interested to let me know by sometime Saturday the 20th.

I'm looking for 4 to 6 people who can post regularly.  Twice a week would be the minimum with more being appreciated.  If you need to be absent for work, travel, illness, and the like, please let someone know.  Yes, I understand what an emergency is; therefore, if you don't post, I'll post for you to keep the game moving.  However, please be aware that long term absenteeism will result in an opening in the party.

Finally, I look forward to serving as your GM.

PS> I'm sure I haven't listed everything but it's late and I have work tomorrow.  Feel free to post questions, comments etc.

Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 03:27:52 AM »

Sounds like a fun setting, consider me interested.

I'm thinking of a Human Burglar, a former farmhand who turned to crime after steam engines made his former occupation outdated. It needs a little more fleshing out, this is just the first concept that came to mind.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 04:46:02 AM »

Pech Artisan Keeper
Renaissance Gnome in the vein of DaVinci, Michelangelo and a little Newton. Scholar, painter, mathematician, sculptor and inventor. A competent, overconfident, tireless self-promoter. The existing crafting, comp, and upgrades rules provide lots of opportunities for an inventor; no special rules for ‘inventing’ are needed . I may dabble in alchemy and magic items too not sure yet. The gnome adventures to uncover fresh ideas and spread his innovations. Adventuring will also spread his fame and attract rich patrons. I hate tinker gnomes, this will be a gnome inventor done right.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:14:19 AM by Catodon » Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 04:53:43 AM »

I'm interested too.

I kinda want to try the Conjurer from the pre-order preview, but I totally understand if it isn't allowed until Spellbound proper is released. I've got several concepts rattling around in my brain, just gotta pick one and develop it properly. I'll let it simmer for a while...

Speaking of, if I pick a magic-using class, will you allow a re-train when Spellbound hits?

Edit: Also, could you expand a little on magic in the setting? Right now I'm waffling between some sort of magic-user and a mage-hunting Assassin...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:14:53 AM by Antilles » Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
lastknight1973
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 07:59:33 AM »

I'd like to put my name in the hat.  The background has me really interested to see where we go with it. 

Depending on party needs I have two characters knocking about in my head:

A saurian sorcerer priest (desert clutch and elemental heritage) - the idea being children born with such a link to fire are sent out in the world as prophets of the flame.

or

An unborn guardian soldier - a protector of the city's more influential or revered artisans.  A possible background link here to our gnomish keeper.

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 03:00:39 PM »

@ Catadon
I don't disagree with you.  The Improvise feat tree was originally built for my tabletop game.  I have a player who wanted his character to be McGuyver.  It's an option.

@ Antilles
Re Spellbound: I'll have to play it by ear.  I tend to pick up everything in FC, but not necessarily right away.  For now, I'll say no on the Conjurer.

Doh!  I knew I would forget something important in my sleep deprived state - namely, Magic.

Magic
Folk in general and dwarves in particular are wary of magic users.  Dwarves because they feel it is an affront to the strength and ingenuity their god gave them.  The rest are wary because of the dwarves.  The area that is now the Union was first influenced by and ultimately ruled by the old Dwarven Empire for close to 1000 years.  Negative attitudes kinda rub off on people.

Now that's not to say that every innkeep is going to run screaming if you light your pipe with a flick of your finger.  In OOC knowledge terms, most people feel that low level magic (level 0 and 1 spells) is fine.  Most practioners of such simple magic (wise women, the village elder, etc.) would simply argue that they *just know things* or that they were blessed by gods.  Some few proclaim themselves magi and try to learn more.

Up to about level 3 spells (depends on the jurisdiction), you won't have any trouble.  Between levels 4 and 6, there is the expectation (or requirement in some places) that you belong to a known magic school so as to better control your *dangerous* abilities.  Some towns even require registration with the City Watch (or equivalent) when you enter.  Level 7 through 9 spells virtually require membership in a known school.  Untrained use of powerful magics in public can be a crime in human/pech lands and IS a crime in dwarven lands.  Citizens of the Hills of the Emerald Dawn will lock you up.  The dwarves of the Grey Mountains will execute you.

Most spells are learned through study and practice.  Many arcane magic users have a spell book but it serves more as a meditation tool than anything else as, truthfully told, almost all magic is in your head.  Some ingredients are needed for truly large workings.

Sorcerers tend to see the slow plodding teaching methods of most schools as annoying at best, and harmful at worst.  They feel it lacks the creativity and free wheeling nature of their magic.

Thus those learning a school of magic tend to be bound into that school's spells.  They can always transfer to another school (for the appropriate fee or in lieu of money the appropriate quest) if they wish to learn other spells.  Most schools require direct learning - Cure I, Cure II, Cure III, etc. - rather than a more freefrom approach.

Sorcerers also have schools though they are often hidden because the authorities don't consider them adequate teaching grounds.  However, the instructors - often fellow students - will teach whatever they know.

Also, technology has a tendency to break when around a high level mage - determined by Circle of Power.  Mostly this is flavor but it might have a game effect in some cases.

---

Other
Arcane casters do not get access to any Wish spells.  They aren't lost, they are the province of the gods.
Arcane casters only get access to Resurrection I.  Resurrection has many repercussions to the established order so it is a highly regualted spell.  Higher levels of Resurrection are considered lost and universally considered illegal.

Hope that helps.

Reverandboo
Recruit

Mt dew, starbursts, chips, Mt dew

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 03:19:32 PM »

Count me in amigo. I'm thinking human mage. Ties to a military order of some sort. Sort of an Edward Elric feel but later and more mature. ish

Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.
-Albert Einstein
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 03:54:07 PM »

Nice. I'll definitely go for mage-hunting Assassin, then. Either a dwarf, or a different species trained by dwarves, unless there are other groups who can be the source of the Mage Hunter feat?

I'm thinking the reason he took up such a specialized trade was because he's the last son of a once-proud lineage, who've fallen into ruin ever since a powerful rogue mage cursed the family. I'll be starting with the Cursed subplot by then, some variation of the Yogo curse from L5R I think (destined to betray the one we love the most). I'm thinking the curse has been spent (my father's betrayal left my mother and me nearly destitute, my betrayal was leaving my mother just as she was coming down with an illness, which she later died of) but it's still active and would be passed on to any children I would father.

As for how I'd fit into the group... I'm thinking either a 'free agent' who is basically building a cover identity as an adventurer, in order to keep an eye on magic users in that part of the population, or if we have a mage in the party I could've been assigned to keep an eye on them. Or if I'm not actually aligned with any specific group, then I'm basically doing the adventurer gig to build up reputation and resources for when some mad-with-power magister shows up.

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Reverandboo
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 04:17:50 PM »

Ok. So if we have a mage hunter then my mage will go slightly more by the book. Maybe with a slight With Hunter Robin fight fire with fire kind of feel. Maybe sees other mages as blasphemers of the discipline of magic. just rough ideas ATM. Has a problem with sorcerers in particular, insolent children playing with powers beyond their control. His "spellbook" is a string of beads he constantly runs through his fingers and his badge of registration as a sanctioned mage would be a pocketwatch ( cheesy i know but Tongue)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:21:54 PM by Reverandboo » Logged

Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.
-Albert Einstein
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 12:28:12 AM »

@ Antilles
I've never gotten into L5R so I had to look up the Yogo curse.  (Isn't the internet a wonderful tool?)  I think that it would be fine.

Regarding organizations that could grant access to the requisite rituals for the Mage Hunter feat, I'll think of something.

@ Reverandboo
Perhaps an ornamental pocketwatch - given that mages and tech don't get along.  Or perhaps one that stops working when you graduate because you have gained enough magically ability to screw it up?

Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 02:33:05 AM »

Or perhaps one that stops working when you graduate because you have gained enough magically ability to screw it up?

I really like that aspect. Perhaps it also serves as a reminder of the date and time that the mage's graduated and started on their new career.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Reverandboo
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 06:08:20 AM »

fantastic idea. i love it

-Albert Einstein
Dhampire
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 06:27:09 AM »

I, too, am interested in playing, if there's room.

Right now, I'm trying to whittle down the half-dozen of vague character ideas I have into a couple really workable ones, and am trying to avoiding ones close to those already stated.

To that end, could you expound upon the various faiths (Alignments) available?

Also, I noticed that Goblin & Elf blood are out.  Are the blood feats of the playable species allowed?

I aim to misbehave.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: