Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 29, 2014, 12:10:33 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Forget all you know, or think you know...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forget all you know, or think you know...  (Read 1457 times)
magustoad
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 08:15:20 PM »

This is a campaign setting our GM has been running in for 10+ years, so there is a flavor and feel to the world.  This is our first trip into it and its inaugural run on FC rules so I would imagine there will be some interesting goings-on. 

We're all looking forward to the ride.  It has been a long time since ad20 game system has actually interested me.  Class-based systems generally put me off, but FC has enough awesome built-in with the progression, feats, tricks, etc to break that predisposition.  We start tomorrow at 10am.   Grin
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:17:10 PM by magustoad » Logged

Hydrogen (H)
Stupidity (Su)
= The two most common elements in the Universe.
princekelwyn
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 05:07:42 PM »

A few things I've noticed:

Characters get a number of profs based on class, not set profs.  Thus mace and shield mages and greatsword burglars are possible.

The BMS feat chains give each weapon its own brand of cool. 

Skills rock and so do skill monkeys. 

Putting points in your "dump " stats makes your character more well rounded, not weaker. 

With origin skills, no real dump stats, and easy access to feat chains,  characters can easily diversify their portfolio without having to multiclass. 

Rhishisikk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 02:37:04 AM »

0)  Two words:  Hero Points!

1)  Humans are a cool race, able to hang with elves, dwarves, and saurians without looking like a gimp.

2)  All races customizable with Species feats.  For example, drow and frogman are two that I noticed.  Oh, and Unborn are nice.  Want to be the Scarecrow with Intimidate skills?  It's doable in Fantasy Craft.

3)  Being the same class doesn't mean that your character looks anything like the other guy's character.  I ran a group with four different Soldiers (using different weapons), ran like Five Venoms, not Clone Wars.

4)  Just because your character doesn't shine doesn't mean they're useless:  Courtiers and mages can fight; Soldiers can do diplomacy.

5)  I think someone pointed out that PCs are heroic from level 1: the Crafty introductory adventure, for example, involves saving the world against [menace], fighting against both hordes of minions and villainous foes. 

6)  Combat:  Easy to hit, but harder to wound.  Each weapon has its own coolness, which means that there is no "dinkus weapon", as long as you have the right feats.  Even your torch becomes nasty...

7)  Magic and magic items rarer; but not needed.  You're just that awesome.

Cool  Stereotypes from D&D just don't hold.  You meet the character singing in the tavern and playing an instrument masterfully.  Congratulations, you have no clue what class they are.  Prefers leather over metal armor, and carries a rapier?  Still doesn't mean they're a burglar.

9)  D&D fights that take all night and eighteen combat rounds take two or three rounds in Fantasy Craft.  This means more time for planning and role-playing.

10)  Performing an attack may not be your best option.  "Lame" stuff like trip, tire, threaten, feint - these actually WORK in Fantasy Craft, and are NASTY when they do.

Rule #3:  I will never change into a giant snake, it never helps.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: