Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 09:32:15 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Legacy Games
| |-+  Classic Spycraft
| | |-+  Creating alternate rules RE: signature gear
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Creating alternate rules RE: signature gear  (Read 1638 times)
Torque
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2011, 11:14:38 PM »

I've found that while I'm eager to GM a Spycraft game, the concept of a regular stop back at HQ and a whole 'this is a business' feel kinda cops out.  I mean, the CIA doesn't make you come back to Langley for every mission.  So... not always could you write in how agents get their gear.  Hence, the James Bond Rule (as I call it):

Every agent has a (very) limited budget for acquiring a key piece (or two) of gear - no matter what - that is ultimately theirs at all times.  Be it a trick watch, small gun, or even a pair of binoculars; just something they don't have to 'purchase' again, every time they load up for missions.

This makes me wonder if anyone has any pet-remedies on this.  I'm thinking of a sort of mechanic under which a slowly increasing number of budget/gadget points could be collocated to an agent.  Say, starting out with a Walther PPK would be nice, but later on, what if they want a Colt M1911?  At that point, the 'personal' item could be returned, and the points then be re-assigned.  A sort of 'permanent loan' arrangement, with an increasing budget mechanic.  I'd like that more than the 'here, have this' concept - since then, they'll feel cheated that the didn't get something nicer.  This would allow personalization.

Any ideas?
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:29:06 AM »

In 2.0 this is done with Possessions, it was an upgrade that was not part of 1.0. As for having a piece of standard gear that a character would always have. As the GM, you can set that limit and attempt to enjoy watching the players that item from the BP limit.

Living Spycraft Masterm
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 04:10:41 PM »

You're really gonna want to look at Third Edition, Torque.

That's all I'll say for now. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Torque
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 12:33:57 AM »

Thanks.  I'll have to look into it, but the budget at this time is pretty depleted.

Sidebar: is there a Player's Guide in the classic line?
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 12:42:32 AM »

Just the main silver book

Living Spycraft Masterm
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: