Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 01:36:58 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  How flexible is Spellbound ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How flexible is Spellbound ?  (Read 1731 times)
snake
Handler

Its all in the reflexes !!!!

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2011, 04:10:23 PM »

One of the things I disliked about the GURPS system was the way it produced Magic or Psionics books supposed to cover any genre but then gave little info on how to customise these topics for a particular game or genre. Sometimes it would cop out entirely in some genres (eg superhero) and revert to using superpowers to simulate Magic or Psi.

Call me crazy but I'd like to be able to use eg one Magic system for all genres eg from Conan-esque Sword and Sorcery magic via Pulp Horror dark corrupting magic to Doctor Strange high-powered magic.

With this in mind. I'm wondering how the forthcoming Spelbound book can fit my requirements. I'm quite happy to apply different campaigns qualities to each genre. etc.

But would Spellbound be able to scale from S+S to Superhero ? Can it adapt to differrent genres eg Fantasy, Horror and Superhero ?

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever !!!
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 04:26:08 PM »

Spellbound's system will be the system you see in Fantasy Craft - we're not inserting psi, or effects based magic (ala Mage or Ars Magica). That said, you'll see a few new subsystems that offer variations on the theme, and heaps of campaign qualities to let you tweak the system to match how you want magic to feel in your world. The core principle, however, will remain using a Spellcasting skill + spell points to cast set spells.

snake
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 01:52:13 PM »

Thanks for replying, Alex.

Spellbound's system will be the system you see in Fantasy Craft - we're not inserting psi, or effects based magic (ala Mage or Ars Magica).

Thats fine. I'm happy for it to cover magic only.

That said, you'll see a few new subsystems that offer variations on the theme, and heaps of campaign qualities to let you tweak the system to match how you want magic to feel in your world. The core principle, however, will remain using a Spellcasting skill + spell points to cast set spells.

That sounds spot on.

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 06:33:57 PM »

While I personally think that to be a totally flexible magic system - especially one covering all genres and power baselines - it needs to be effects based (Mage, Ars Magica, etc).  Your requirements may be different of course snake.

That said, I'm confident (judging from the chapter in the core book) that it will be among the best examples of its type of magic system, if not outright the best of its type.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 09:39:38 AM »

Is it worth mentioning that the use of spell points to power spells makes it ridiculously easy to reskin an arcane mage as a psionic master?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
snake
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 01:43:19 PM »

Is it worth mentioning that the use of spell points to power spells makes it ridiculously easy to reskin an arcane mage as a psionic master?

mmmm.

I must admit I've tended to go with the ex-SFA Psionics and Aegis conversion because they are good and easily accessible.

I take your point MilitiaJim. One system for Magic and Psi would be tempting. I must sit down, look a my requirements and give it a whirl.

Heres an even madder thought. Could Magic be re-skinned as Superpowers ?? Mages re-skinned as Supers Huh?  Smiley

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 04:09:14 PM »

mmmm.

I must admit I've tended to go with the ex-SFA Psionics and Aegis conversion because they are good and easily accessible.

I take your point MilitiaJim. One system for Magic and Psi would be tempting. I must sit down, look a my requirements and give it a whirl.

Heres an even madder thought. Could Magic be re-skinned as Superpowers ?? Mages re-skinned as Supers Huh?  Smiley

Don't see why not, though I'd make a new class to tweak it just right.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »

Hand out more points at character generation, and throw in the PC "buffing" campaign qualities, and you should be there, at least for the more mundane heroes.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Rhishisikk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 09:45:22 AM »

I must second MilitiaJim:  "Pulp" supers are easily modeled using the current magic system. 

Honestly, I'd go with a variant of SpyCraft rather than FC, have sorted powers, and allow "power slots" versus theme/level, maybe with Feat trees or interests to enable certain power sets.  Ever wonder why some SuperMan comics involve super-breath, and others SuperMan forgets he has those powers?  Check and check.

I'm not certain how to work the classes, but I'd include:  Agent/Spy, Augment, Brick/Brute, Blaster/Projector, Inventor/Scientist, Mastermind, Soldier/Athlete, plus some sort of "Pointman/Sage" class. 

But yes, very doable.  Before there was FC, we used Gestalt with one Btb, one SC and one D&D class, and limited magic items to what fit in the gadgetry slots.  None of us could have taken out Batman, but as the Charismatic/Advocate/Wizard I was able to stand my own in combat against some pretty hoss monsters.  I felt like a superhero, even if I never did get to cast fireball.

As with all superhero games, finding a "proper" balance is essential.

Rule #3:  I will never change into a giant snake, it never helps.
snake
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 01:42:17 PM »

Excellent, gents. There are some great ideas there.

Increasing points for supers is a logical step MilitaJim and I take you point about a new class, Catodon.

I'd like to develop the FC and SC classes like the ones you mentioned Rhishisikk and others. Eg take the FC Martial Artist and turn him into an costumed Iron Fist type wth superpowered punch.   

In the past, I've played similar but slightly different systems eg Conan RPG, Spycraft (for PA, Pulp, Space Opera) and Mutants and Masterminds for Supers.

I've now moved Conan to FC and my ideal would be to run all games with Mastercraft, building up to Supers, incorporating classes and rules as i go.

Eg I'm eagerly awaiting SC 3.0 and its Superscience rules to cover gadget inventing Supers eg Iron Man and Superspies like Nick Fury.

To follow the Mastercraft feel in a Supers game, I'd may be have Species for different super races eg Alien (covering the Superman or Silver Surfer type), Amphibian (Sub-mariner) , Unborn (the Vision) etc.

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 05:09:51 AM »

Eg I'm eagerly awaiting SC 3.0 and its Superscience rules to cover gadget inventing Supers eg Iron Man and Superspies like Nick Fury.

Iron Man can be done in Spycraft 2 (not to mention the absolute ease of Iron Man in FC, though probably flavoured as Steampunk for the sake of sanity), as can Nick Fury, so I'd be very surprised if the 3rd iteration can't handle it magic free too.  I also knocked together some stuff for supers for SC2, and my players said it worked pretty well (and had a blast).
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 12:23:18 AM »

The only problem with doing Iron Man in SC 2 is that the armor is (or rather, contains) most definitely Caliber V gear, meaning every time he dons the suit is the most important mission type.... which is fine if that's what you're going for. I actually did a build of Tony Stark at level 5 or 6 a long while back, alas I no longer have those files...

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 01:00:50 AM »

The only problem with doing Iron Man in SC 2 is that the armor is (or rather, contains) most definitely Caliber V gear, meaning every time he dons the suit is the most important mission type.... which is fine if that's what you're going for. I actually did a build of Tony Stark at level 5 or 6 a long while back, alas I no longer have those files...

My armour was entirely my Possessions picks.  Granted I had Possessions 10, but it can be done outside of Cal 5 missions only.  I actually used my missions picks to mod it into different styles of armour - Cal 5 missions and it became Warmachine armour, with miniaturised rockets and gatling gun.
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 01:02:55 PM »

My armour was entirely my Possessions picks.  Granted I had Possessions 10, but it can be done outside of Cal 5 missions only.  I actually used my missions picks to mod it into different styles of armour - Cal 5 missions and it became Warmachine armour, with miniaturised rockets and gatling gun.

If you don't have it fly or cheat the gadget rules to do something like put a gyro copter into riot gear, then yeah, you can do it with Possessions. But if you want actual flight... that's a bit tougher. Unfortunately SC 2 has a low availability of rocket packs...

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »

If you don't have it fly or cheat the gadget rules to do something like put a gyro copter into riot gear, then yeah, you can do it with Possessions. But if you want actual flight... that's a bit tougher. Unfortunately SC 2 has a low availability of rocket packs...

Went with a miniaturised UAV into the Riot Gear (UAV is large, and with Micro-Miniaturisation you can put it in a small item).  IMO it walks the ragged line between legal and "complete bullshit", but then again the GM allowed it because the flight gadget is a bit uncinematic (in terms of duration and speed).

In an ideal world I'd go with miniaturised Fighter, Jump Jet in Riot Gear (requires Micro Miniaturisation).  This gives you almost everything you need for mobility, and you can restyle it's 20mm as your repulsars.  Grab some vehicle upgrades for his fancier toys and you're set.  I'm pretty sure that's "legal" (RAW, what GM who isn't me would allow it though?) but requires a Cal 5 and a Cal 4.  So really just for those hardcore missions, unelss there's a way to get that as possessions that I'm unaware of.

I'm gonna admit we've strayed from the topic of Spellbound's versatility, but it seems we're certainly gonna prove the Mastercraft range has versatility in spades.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: