Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 05:47:24 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  One on one play
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: One on one play  (Read 727 times)
Moebius
Agent

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2011, 10:03:27 PM »

I'm looking for a resource or advice for Spycraft 2.0 one on one play. Are there discussions about this or anyone have good/bad experience with this style of gaming?

tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 11:58:07 AM »

It works, but better with some classes than others. A Pointman on his own? Can't boost his team's abilities, so he's underutilized. A Sleuth or a Soldier or Intruder? Heck, yeah.

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.

Looking for GMs for Ohio Valley conventions. Some danger involved.
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 04:13:58 PM »

It requires adventures to be more tailored in my experience, but is doable, I'd push the player to one of the more generalist* classes, Explorer, Sleuth, Intruder, and would steer well clear of Scientist, Pointman, Soldier and Hacker.

One thing to bear in mind is that you need to make plenty of areas to shine. Starting above level 1 is usually a good idea, as Spycraft works on an opponent 'level' as being total party level/5, so most of the opponents should be weak enough to handle provided combat abilities aren't completely skimped on.

*by generalist I mean character that can adapt to evolving situations a bit better.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:34:01 PM »

I have also seen it work better for slightly higher level characters.  Spycraft set threat level equal to the sum of the party level / 5.  With a minimum threat level of 1, that means a single 1st level character will face challenges exactly equal to 5, 1st level characters.  However, at level 5, the single character is still facing TL 1 challenges while the group is facing TL 5 challenges.

Because of this, I'd recommend starting a 1-on-1 campaign with at least a level 3 character.0

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 04:39:13 PM »

The trick is going to be tailoring the mission to the skill set or force the player to rely on contacts quite a bit

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Trigger
Operative

Never Trust Your Contact!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 10:51:54 AM »

I created a mini-mission that is tailored for 1-2 players, Crack Shot.  It's a sniper mission where less Agents are advised.

I actually went and re-read this mission.  I forgot how fun this one was as I ran it twice even.    Smiley
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:11:07 AM by Trigger » Logged

"Identity confirmed...welcome agent"
Moebius
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:23:25 PM »

I created a mini-mission that is tailored for 1-2 players, Crack Shot.  It's a sniper mission where less Agents are advised.

I actually went and re-read this mission.  I forgot how fun this one was as I ran it twice even.    Smiley
Cool! Where can I find that (if it's available)?

Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 02:50:34 AM »

Cool! Where can I find that (if it's available)?
His website is on his profile, but I'll link it here for convenience: http://www.theagencystar.com/

Reapercussions
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »

One on One play is very well suited to very real world espionage missions.  You can defiantly make the world a lot more shadowy where the player doesn't know who to trust what information is good, is he going to get burned, and all that sort of stuff. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: