Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 02:40:32 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Legacy Games
| |-+  Classic Spycraft
| | |-+  Creating alternate rules RE: signature gear
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Creating alternate rules RE: signature gear  (Read 1570 times)
Torque
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2011, 11:14:38 PM »

I've found that while I'm eager to GM a Spycraft game, the concept of a regular stop back at HQ and a whole 'this is a business' feel kinda cops out.  I mean, the CIA doesn't make you come back to Langley for every mission.  So... not always could you write in how agents get their gear.  Hence, the James Bond Rule (as I call it):

Every agent has a (very) limited budget for acquiring a key piece (or two) of gear - no matter what - that is ultimately theirs at all times.  Be it a trick watch, small gun, or even a pair of binoculars; just something they don't have to 'purchase' again, every time they load up for missions.

This makes me wonder if anyone has any pet-remedies on this.  I'm thinking of a sort of mechanic under which a slowly increasing number of budget/gadget points could be collocated to an agent.  Say, starting out with a Walther PPK would be nice, but later on, what if they want a Colt M1911?  At that point, the 'personal' item could be returned, and the points then be re-assigned.  A sort of 'permanent loan' arrangement, with an increasing budget mechanic.  I'd like that more than the 'here, have this' concept - since then, they'll feel cheated that the didn't get something nicer.  This would allow personalization.

Any ideas?
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:29:06 AM »

In 2.0 this is done with Possessions, it was an upgrade that was not part of 1.0. As for having a piece of standard gear that a character would always have. As the GM, you can set that limit and attempt to enjoy watching the players that item from the BP limit.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 04:10:41 PM »

You're really gonna want to look at Third Edition, Torque.

That's all I'll say for now. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Torque
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 12:33:57 AM »

Thanks.  I'll have to look into it, but the budget at this time is pretty depleted.

Sidebar: is there a Player's Guide in the classic line?
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 12:42:32 AM »

Just the main silver book

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: