Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2014, 10:45:52 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  "I can fly" feat and specialty
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "I can fly" feat and specialty  (Read 1227 times)
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2011, 07:52:42 AM »

Returning to an old idea here: spellcasters who come up with or whom are granted new powers on the fly are something of a staple of the genre.  How about a feat to represent that?

I can fly
When new powers come to you, they may be a surprise to everyone, yourself included
Prerequisites Player character only
Benefit: You don't have to choose spells learned immediately when you gain ranks in spellcasting. Instead, you may ‘reveal’ your spells at any time during play.  The first time you cast a spell which you have just revealed, however, your error rate increases by 2.  All unrevealed spells must be revealed before you gain your next level.

Savant (specialty)
You live and breathe magic.  Sometimes this means that people around you get burned.
Bonus feat: I can fly (1 point)
Attribute training: The lower of your Wisdom and Charisma increases by 1 (1 point)
Nothing up my Sleeve: You may make Spellcasting checks as if you have a mage's pouch. (1 point)
Practiced Resolve: If you spend an AD to boost a resolve check and still fail, you may get it back. (2 points)
Unbreakable: Each time you suffer attribute impairment, it decreases by 1 (min 0) (1 point)
More than luck: Your starting AD increases by 1 (3 points)

EDIT: Morgenstern's better version

I can Fly
You always have the perfect trick up your sleeve.
Prerequisites: Spellcasting 1+
Benefit: Once per adventure as a free action you may choose a spell. You are considered to know that spell until the end of the current adventure.
Special: This feat may not be taken as a temporary feat.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 02:28:15 AM by paddyfool » Logged
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:58:40 AM »

I can fly
When new powers come to you, they may be a surprise to everyone, yourself included
Prerequisites Player character only
Benefit: You don't have to choose spells learned immediately when you gain ranks in spellcasting. Instead, you may ‘reveal’ your spells at any time during play.  The first time you cast a spell which you have just revealed, however, your error rate increases by 2.  All unrevealed spells must be revealed before you gain your next level.

This sucks.

I'm just kidding. This is actually an incredibly cool idea. I like it!  Wink

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »

I can fly.
'love it!   Grin
Savant (specialty)
Ouch! I know it follows Origin creation rules, but it is abusively amazingly good. Yeah, powerful feat, bonus to one of two main Mage attributes, spellcasting without kit (which should definitely be defined as a 1.5-points-worth ability at least), impairement resistance, plus 1 additional SAD! Waaaay too cool a combination in my opinion. By that I mean, given the choice, I wouldn't even consider any other Specialty for a spellcaster.  Roll Eyes
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 11:29:38 AM »

I had been a bit worried that Savant might be too much, particularly with the Attribute training.  Perhaps if that and "Nothing up my sleeve" were swapped out for Practiced Resolve (to represent a very focused mind)...

As for "I can fly", I've since thought of one bit of slightly scary, if not quite problematic, synergy: what if someone took both that and "I can swim"?  It seems like you could end up with a Mage who'd practically never face a hurdle he'd be unequipped for.  This would be very fitting for various flavours of genius, however...
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:35:47 PM »

+1 SAD was 4 points, and I believe it still should be Smiley.

You may want to add come text to I can fly for what it does if you have no unspent spellslots, so it doesn't eventually become a dead feat.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »

Can you not nearly do it with I Can Swim anyway, spells known = Spellcasting ranks + Wisdom score, thereby if you hold back some skill points you can drop them into Spellcasting to learn new spells on the fly?
Of course that does leave you suboptimal until you use them, but the very nature of the feats in question does that anyway.
Gentry