Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 10:29:18 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Mounted Combat Feats, et al
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mounted Combat Feats, et al  (Read 649 times)
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2011, 12:16:39 AM »

These are Melee Combat feats so Lancer can pick them up as bonus feats, though nothing about them specifically requires melee... (as an aside, I still think Lancer should have gotten Basic Combat instead of Melee, but that's a different issue).

Mounted Combat Basics
You are at home riding into combat atop a mighty steed.
Prerequisites: Ride (Riding Mounts, Flying Mounts, or Swimming Mounts focus).
Benefit: When mounted, you use the higher of you or your mount's Initiative modifiers instead of the lower. Also, you gain a stance:
Deadly Momentum (Stance): You may only assume this stance while mounted, and automatically lose it if you dismount. Attacks you make with weapons with the cavalry quality get a +2 insight bonus damage. In a round in which you move more than 10ft before attacking, this bonus increases to +4.

Mounted Combat Mastery
You've ridden into battle more often than walked.
Prerequisites: Mounted Combat Basics
Benefit: When mounted, you use the higher of you or your mount's Defense instead of the lower. Also, you gain a trick:
Wave of Destruction (Trample Trick): You gain a free attack against any one character in or adjacent to your path. You may use this trick a number of times per combat equal to the number of Ride skill focuses you have.

Mounted Combat Supremacy
You are one with your mount.
Prerequisites: Mounted Combat Mastery
Benefit: When mounted, you use the higher of you or your mount's Saving Throw modifiers instead of the lower. Also, you gain a Trick:
Rolling Thunder (Trample Trick): Each opponent after the first only receives +1 to defense instead of +2. Also, the DC to avoid becoming sprawled increases by 5.

These might be a little on the high power side, not sure. I don't see people on mounts very often in my group, my players seem to think it's more effective to dismount once you're in range and let your mount get a whole separate set of actions...

Anyhow, from the Q&A thread over in FC discussion:
Unseat (Polearm trick, forte): With a hit on a mounted character, the rider becomes sprawled in an unoccupied square adjacent to his mount (your choice). This attack only does half damage (round up).

Need to build a feat tree, think that'd be the trick of the second feat in the tree, the first giving a 'set to receive charge' type stance, though wording it in such a way so as to not be redundant with Polearm Mastery might be a bit tough. Important to note, as a polearm trick, anyone with Spear Mastery could use it with a spear.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:28:46 PM by Agent 333 » Logged

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 02:20:16 AM »

Huh huh, I was just devising "Ride Tricks" for extra Ride Foci a character may have (which happened in my 7 Seas game), and I find a few of the ideas I was writing down in these feats. I do like those, they're really cool. Wave of destruction is a little bit too potent in my opinion. Maybe you should limit it to 1 character per Trample, that would already be nice. Other than that, I like them all. I'm going to post my own tricks in this post, if you don't mind, since they are thematically similar.  Smiley
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 07:28:30 PM »

Right, I meant it to only target one, but reading it I can see it being ambiguous. Will fix it now...

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:32:13 AM »

Cavalry Tricks
Just like the best warriors, the greatest riders of today have their own tricks and specialties, as well as an uncanny link with their mount. Each Cavalry Trick is learnt by spending 1 Ride Focus, although they do not necessarily apply to Ride checks.

Sparring Charge (Prerequisites: Charging Basics I - Mounted Run Trick): Whenever you Charge and hit a mounted character while you are mounted yourself, he must succeed with a Fortitude save (DC equal to damage suffered before DR and Resistances) or end up sprawled (along or without his mount, your choice).

Saddle up! (Mount/Dismount Trick): You may Mount/Dismount a vehicle or mount with which you're familiar with a half action. You may become familiar with 1 mount or 1 type of vehicle with 1 hour of training.

Devastating Break (Mounted Bull Rush Trick): You leave a trail of blood behind. You may increase your error ranges by 2 for 1 full round. Each character you successfully Bull Rush is also targeted with the Trample attack of your mount. Alternativement, you may make 1 Standard Attack with a readied weapon.

Whistler (Initiative Action): You unleash a high-pitched whistle that human ears can barely hear. If a mount with which you're familiar is somewhere within 1 mile, she hears you calling and comes back to you to the best of her abilities. You may become familiar with 1 mount with 1 hour of training.

Duck and run! (Mounted Run Trick): Make a Ride (Wis) check. Until your next Initiative Count, your Defense against Ranged Attacks becomes equal to the check result if it exceeds your own (as a mounted character).

Knee Riding (Ride Trick): If the check takes at least 1 half action, you may take a Handle Item action with a free action. You may use this trick once per round.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:44:57 AM by aegis » Logged
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 09:23:27 AM »

Anyhow, from the Q&A thread over in FC discussion:
Unseat (Polearm trick, forte): With a hit on a mounted character, the rider becomes sprawled in an unoccupied square adjacent to his mount (your choice). This attack only does half damage (round up).

Thanks for bringing this to the proper forum!  I should never have hijacked the Q&A thread with homebrew speculation in the first place.  

I'm afraid I have two problems with this.  Firstly, I think it's overpowered - doing damage and sprawling someone automatically on a hit is very powerful.  The closest mechanic is a Massive weapon with the Overpowering strike trick, and although that trick is more versatile, it's considerably less powerful (because the opponent gets what's generally a fairly easy save against it).  Secondly, I wouldn't limit an unseat trick to polearms, because they aren't the only tools used to do this, at least not cinematically.  (As I suggested in the other thread, you've also got whips, lassoos, and unarmed trickery to consider).

How about these, instead?

Clean dismount (trip trick): The character is skilled in plucking riders from their saddles as neatly as if picking food from his plate.  When attempting a trip action against a mounted character, the target's size is treated as that of the rider, rather than the mount; however, on a success, only the rider, and not the mount, will be sprawled.

That's my horse now (mount trick): The character may attempt to assume control of a mount currently being ridden by an adjacent opponent as a full round action.  For success, he must beat not only the mount (treated as unwilling) in an opposed grapple check, but also the mount's current rider in a separate opposed check.  On a success on both checks, the original rider is moved to any unoccupied 5-ft. area adjacent to the mount (his choice) and becomes sprawled, and the mount becomes held as per the usual mount/dismount conditions.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:21:01 AM by paddyfool » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: