Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 06:34:04 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft Vs. D&D Magic?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Vs. D&D Magic?  (Read 6797 times)
Chimera
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 12:28:53 PM »

Thanks for clarifying.  Now I'm just waiting to hear back from DriveThru.

Join the SpyCraft Community to locate other SpyCraft GMs and Players near you! http://www.frappr.com/spycraft20community
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 12:48:44 PM »

It should not take them very long to send you the link.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Chimera
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 12:52:55 PM »

Nope, it didn't.  I've already gotten a response and they explained that there was a conflict between PayPal and their site.  The order was manually entered and I got the download.  Fast and Easy.  Just the way I like it.

Join the SpyCraft Community to locate other SpyCraft GMs and Players near you! http://www.frappr.com/spycraft20community
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 01:12:34 PM »

Ain't it grand? ... I love how the Channeler is a battlecaster with an emphasis on battle including the BAB.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 02:48:10 PM »

The Channeler *is* one seriously bad mofo.  I tell people "he's like a wizard, only with fighter attack progression" and they get all drooly.  Smiley 

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 12:19:44 AM »

From what I've heard, the magic system in FantasyCraft will follow the Spellbound PDFs. There's a short list of the differences between that and standard d20 on the Vol.1 Product page here.

True.

Same as Spellbound in the basic principles, however I believe they're going for more generalist casters than school-based, basically boiling down to an arcane and a divine class.

Also true.

I think I recall mention of an effects based system as well.

I'm tackling that for Crucible. It won't be in Fantasy Craft. You can expect to see it Halloween 2008.

That's the new system the guys are putting together for Crucible so won't be out until well after FC. Though knowing crafty it will probably be a nice and portable and easy to plug in to any game outside of Crucible, so may be an alternative casting system to fantasy games too.

It'll be portable, yes, and you could port it into FC, though it won't be compatible with the Spellbound/FC rules.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Darkmeer
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 08:45:24 PM »

The Channeler *is* one seriously bad mofo.  I tell people "he's like a wizard, only with fighter attack progression" and they get all drooly.  Smiley 

Y'know, I had that same reaction  Tongue

The gut response of any core 3.x player is that it would be unbalancing, and it's not at all.  That is the glory of spycraft. 

Oh, and Crafty_Pat:
Many thanks for the info on the arcane/divine axis.  I'll be waiting with money in my eager little palms.  As if I needed yet another reason to buy from you fine folks.

/d

Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 10:12:01 PM »

Well crap.  Cry

I guess I'll go back to working on shoehorning EoM:R/EoM:ME into Spycraft.

Speaking of which, I vaguely remember a set of guidelines for creating a balanced 1.0 class on the old boards or AEGs site (I don't recall which exactly).  Has anything like that been done for 2.0?

I already run my Spycraft in Fantasy Flavour, and I use EoM:ME as the spellcasting method of choice.
AuldGrump does soemthing similar and there was even a thread on it a bit back.

Share some of your thoughts and resurrect the thread, heck I might go hunt it down and update it with some of the bits and pieces I've been working on.
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 01:01:56 AM »

Well crap.  Cry

I guess I'll go back to working on shoehorning EoM:R/EoM:ME into Spycraft.
Heh, I have found that most of my own revisions to EoM:ME were not really needed. I have an old thread on the topic that I moved to these forums following the move.

Both of the mages in the team have cast themselves into unconsciousness on a few occasions, and the Classic Fey traditionalist has suffered a mishap that ended up with him trapped in Faerie for a time. On the other hand he went willingly rather than contesting wills with the fey, so no hard feelings were left toward him by the fey concerned.

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
axegrrl
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 11:34:04 PM »

I'm wondering what the magic power level will be like, in comparison with Spellbound. We were going to try to do Spycraft + magic, in a world with late-1800s tech, and we ran into two magic-related problems:

1. No magic items ... even trying to extrapolate from the gear list, it was just too much work.
2. Spellbound power levels were too low when compared to standard d20. (And most of the players were fresh from a Forgotten Realms campaign, which has an even higher magic level than standard d20).

(There were non-magic-related problems, also; for example, the difference in tech levels made some gear picks just not work.)

I understand that y'all are planning on some different gear lists. And hopefully there are some stock critters along with the critter construction kit.

But...is the power level of the spells going to be comparable to those in Spellbound? If it is, you'll have a tough time winning d20 players over. We did.
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 11:47:41 PM »

I don't think Spellbound power levels are particularly low, they start off a little lower, but through most of their career are only 1 level lower than the sorcerer (which they most resemble between Wiz/Sor).
Spellpoints (giving a bit more flexibility) and the actual presence of class abilities more than outweighs it (in my opinion) (Fork is very pretty damn cool - at it's worst it can increase your damage output, at it's best you suddenly become healer & controller as well as the massive damage guy).
Also we've got rid of having to rest between encounters, and yet kept the option for times when spell energy can run low (as the GC can adjust the scene, maybe the entire dungeon is 1 scene, maybe each encounter is...)
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 12:46:57 AM »

I'm wondering what the magic power level will be like, in comparison with Spellbound. We were going to try to do Spycraft + magic, in a world with late-1800s tech, and we ran into two magic-related problems:

1. No magic items ... even trying to extrapolate from the gear list, it was just too much work.

Late Victorian period with magic.  You just need to be creative. Start with the Historical (1900) quality. *poof* Now, according to Clarke's Third Law, anything introduced after 1900 is a magic item. Either that or the product of Science!. Magic swords can be done using the sword as a gadget housing and laying down lots of upgrades. In the case of firearms, well, if it's hard to figure out how to do it (or it's flatly impossible) with 1880-1900 technology, well, there you go, Magic! Armor is similar, anything other then the pre 1900 year stuff and the Hobbyist is magic and described however you choose. Then there's gadgets, which Spellbound I says are magic items. Signs and Portents 51 also shows examples of Excalibur (or pretty much any other mythological magic sword) and Morgana's Gift (the cloak that causes it's wearer to burst in to flame). PCs create, modify or repair magic items (of either Clarke's Law or Gadget based) using Science (Magecraft) per Spellbound I.

2. Spellbound power levels were too low when compared to standard d20. (And most of the players were fresh from a Forgotten Realms campaign, which has an even higher magic level than standard d20).

How so? Not enough power to sling around? Spells weren't dealing enough damage? Spells were to hard to cast reliably?

(There were non-magic-related problems, also; for example, the difference in tech levels made some gear picks just not work.)

See above, also, for alot of things that aren't item based, look at the effect, not the description. Then come up with a description that works. Remember to always distinguish between the mechanical effect and the appearance of something. The later is just a special effect.

I understand that y'all are planning on some different gear lists. And hopefully there are some stock critters along with the critter construction kit.

Animals, monsters, beasts, horrors man was not meant to know are all built with the NPC system. I don't see that changing. There's some more horrific (in the Call of Cthuhlhu sense) monsters and a number of useful NPC qualities in Fragile Minds.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Toccata
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 03:15:23 AM »

This talk of Channelers being low power must be a low-level thing. When I got Spellbound I, we whipped up a pair of level 11s and unleashed about a dozen ninjas on them.

Forked Dragon's Breath. Twice in one round.

Maybe it's the Inverse Ninja Law, but we concluded that Channelers are, among other things, for when Soldiers are too subtle and don't do enough collateral damage.

Fnord.
Gentry