Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 05:24:42 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft Vs. D&D Magic?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Vs. D&D Magic?  (Read 6527 times)
Chimera
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2007, 06:31:35 AM »

Hey Guys,

Will the FantasyCraft magics be the same as what is already used in D&D or will they be changed in any way?  If so, how exactly?

Will the spells allowed be based on level or will there be a collection of points to spend on each spell casts?

I am asking now because my campaign is about to shift into the realms of Sci-Fi and Fantasy, and I don't want the group to suffer any more system shock than necessary when FantasyCraft and Farthest Star are released on PDF.

Join the SpyCraft Community to locate other SpyCraft GMs and Players near you! http://www.frappr.com/spycraft20community
Gatac
Handler

The power of Stark compels you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 06:43:53 AM »

From what I've heard, the magic system in FantasyCraft will follow the Spellbound PDFs. There's a short list of the differences between that and standard d20 on the Vol.1 Product page here.

Gatac
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 06:49:50 AM »

Same as Spellbound in the basic principles, however I believe they're going for more generalist casters than school-based, basically boiling down to an arcane and a divine class.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 09:04:22 AM »

I think I recall mention of an effects based system as well.  I'm hoping they mean something Ars Magica/Mage/Elements of Magic (Revised or Mystic Earth) like.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 09:06:35 AM »

Scott is converting all the spells in the SRD but whether or not a spell is arcane or divine will depend on the caster not the spell. ... At least, other ehaling stuff from what I've seen inferred.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
meadicus
Operative

Frog King makes everything better

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 09:13:29 AM »

I think I recall mention of an effects based system as well.  I'm hoping they mean something Ars Magica/Mage/Elements of Magic (Revised or Mystic Earth) like.

That's the new system the guys are putting together for Crucible so won't be out until well after FC. Though knowing crafty it will probably be a nice and portable and easy to plug in to any game outside of Crucible, so may be an alternative casting system to fantasy games too.

This sentence does not contain the property it claims to.

Web NPC builder: http://www.meadicus.plus.com/craftygames/npc-builder/
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/author/martinowen
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 09:51:19 AM »

Well crap.  Cry

I guess I'll go back to working on shoehorning EoM:R/EoM:ME into Spycraft.

Speaking of which, I vaguely remember a set of guidelines for creating a balanced 1.0 class on the old boards or AEGs site (I don't recall which exactly).  Has anything like that been done for 2.0?

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 11:25:33 AM »

Hey Guys,

Will the FantasyCraft magics be the same as what is already used in D&D or will they be changed in any way?  If so, how exactly?

Your best bet, especially if you're trying to ease your players into things, is to pick up Spellbound Volume 1: The Channeler. That system is the basis of D&D style magic in Spycraft, converting the SRD spells over for use in our system.

Will the spells allowed be based on level or will there be a collection of points to spend on each spell casts?

Yes Smiley  A list of features is found here.

Chimera
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 12:02:26 PM »

All of that sounds good.  Thanks for the info and links guys!

I went to DriveThru.rpg and got a copy of Spellbound.  Are you planning on releasing a different volume for each of the 8 schools?

Join the SpyCraft Community to locate other SpyCraft GMs and Players near you! http://www.frappr.com/spycraft20community
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 12:04:58 PM »

Yep. Scott's going to dive on all the versions at once, as it's easier to keep a consistent thought across the whole project when they're being done concurrently Smiley

Chimera
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 12:14:48 PM »

There seems to be a problem with my order.  I used PayPal to make the payment and I got a confirmation from them stating that I made a payment to OneBookShelf.com but I never received the download link.  I went back to DriveThruRPG and checked my history, which came up empty.  Is there some kind of delay before I receive the download link?

Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 12:17:34 PM »

Hmm. Never had that happen to me. I recommend you email the guys at OneBookShelf about it.

Gatac
Maldroth
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 12:17:45 PM »

check your e-mail and make sure a junk filter didn't move it.

If you still don't see anything you may need to email the site directly
Chimera
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 12:19:09 PM »

Okay, I will do that.  Nothing in the spam folder.

And totally off the subject... What does "OT" mean in some of the thread titles?

Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 12:23:49 PM »

Off topic.

Gatac
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: