Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 07:16:49 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  First Impressions/First Character
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Impressions/First Character  (Read 2519 times)
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 07:17:04 PM »

What concepts would get messed up? I dont know as much about FC as you guys which is why I am asking these questions here, so they can be vetted by people who know the game. I would like to know so I can alter or change things to mitigate any ripple effects.

Any concept not served by an attribute array, talent, and allocation of stat increases to get a 18 in Wisdom by level 19. It's actually a central design goal of the Spellcasting (ie, Arcane Magic) system.

Case in point, my PC from a defunct game here on the boards.

Strong Fighter Mage
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 12

Tying max spell level to Wisdom instead of your level in Circle of Power reduces the flexibility of the system. For instance, take Lina Inverse from Slayers. Decently physical, ok with a sword, awesome spellcaster, and has access to the most powerful spells in her world... but absolute crap impulse control and common sense and a small list of spells.

In fact, tying max spell level to an attribute pretty much forces Spellcasting magic users into a ver small list of builds. Pretty much none of which deviate from the smart guy in robes stereotype.

The best way to approach FC is to completely forget everything you know about D&D.

And ya multiclassing with a divine class could be "problematic" unless the spell slots gained from a divine class has to be used on a divine spell. *hand wave*.

Case in point. There is no such thing as a Divine spell. Path magic users (aka Divine casters) use a completely different subsystem.

Why cant i change the Roberts screwdriver for a Phillips, and my hacksaw to a jigsaw, if I think it will build the experience I am looking for, which is different than the experience you are looking?

Because a Phillips bit won't drive a Roberts screw, and a hacksaw is a more versitle tool then a jigsaw with a metal blade.

FC is great, and its modular as hell, which is why I want to play it, and play with it. I want to change some bits to suit a different flavor (just like different campaign settings, that offers different play styles and themes), people here are very helpful, but some seem a little resistant to the idea of modifying or changing parts of FC, but thats why I like FC, because of all the modular little bits and pieces that can be altered to fit my game table. I just dont want to make a change that alters FCs delicate balance between foes and party, and between difference species and classes.

FC isn't finely balanced, but it is subtlely balanced. Playing with mechanics is great, adjusting things to suit your playstyle is awesome. Retuning things without understanding how they work in the first place is never a good idea.

At the core, you want to spread spell acquisition out from picking most of your spells at first level. OK.

Alacapocus! (Permanent):
Spells known do not have to be choose when they are gained. Instead, you may elect to choose them when leveling up or when you have a week or more of Downtime. You may not reassign already chosen spells, but may fill any and all unknown spots.

Yeah, silly name, but I like silly names and it's not as silly as Walla Walla Washington.

Addendum: What about changing the Spell Library from spells = Lifestyle to spells = preudence? I don't see how having a high panache would help expand your library, but prudence could be investing resources, time, money into your library.

Except that as Gentry points out, it render the feat way underpowered. If you want to do that though, tie it to Panache. Prudence is your ability to scrimp, save, and resist the siren call of ale and whores. Panache is your dress, living conditions, possessions, etc. Panache makes far more sense to cover your unenumerated possessions.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2011, 12:33:23 AM »

One of the things I liked from Dark Inheritence's take on magic was, as I recall, that you had a small chance of casting spells of any level, and what you got as you leveled up was the ability to cast spells safely, thereby avoiding the often catastrophic results of failure

Kaptn_Lath
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »

One of the things I liked from Dark Inheritence's take on magic was, as I recall, that you had a small chance of casting spells of any level, and what you got as you leveled up was the ability to cast spells safely, thereby avoiding the often catastrophic results of failure

Whats Dark Inheritance? sounds interesting.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2011, 01:49:44 AM »

Released in 2004 by Mythic Dreams Studios, Dark Inheritance (DI) was originally a d20 Modern campaign setting but converted across to the Powered by Spycraft banner using the Spycraft 1.0 rules. It describes an Earth that has been ravaged by ancient mystical powers, allowing Demons and other foul beasts access to this dimension. The setting book contains new rules that allow agents to play as Titans (powerful descendants of antediluvian demi-gods), worship the demonic forces and gain access to mystic powers (reprinted from the SFA world book).

spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2011, 02:33:13 PM »

Since if I ever get it together by next game will be with a bunch of AD&D players, I'm strongly considering, to say they start with 1/2 Wisdom spells (+ 4 0 level from Mage Core, +Spell Library etc), casters carry spellbooks in some form and you can learn others spells in game. The standard number of spell slots is a maximum.
I'm also tempted to do semi-random starting spells (or maybe 1/2 & 1/2) since that's they always do it.
Gentry