Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 30, 2014, 07:28:52 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  Spycraft 2.0 Back in Print (on Demand)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spycraft 2.0 Back in Print (on Demand)  (Read 5781 times)
Moebius
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 04:55:28 PM »

Hey Moebius - welcome to the boards.

Thanks! I signed up long ago and have occasionally lurked. Now I find myself back on board with Spycraft (I had the 2.0 book but was overwhelmed! Now I'm kicking myself for selling it off, but I'm looking to get the POD and looking forward to 3rd Edition).

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 05:23:51 PM »

Pat,

Any chance you could post a picture or two to give us an idea of how the POD books look?

Phil

Sure, though I'll have to wait until I get hold of a digital picture-taking device, as (believe it or not) I have none anywhere near me.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 05:31:06 PM »

Hmmm... sorry to be so inquisitive, but this is my first go with POD...

The soft cover is $30 and the hard cover is $40 (at the time of this post). What should I expect to pay in shipping? The site says this:
Quote from: DriveThru RPG
We currently work with Lightning Source, a world leader in print-to-order book manufacturing. Lightning Source has facilities in both the USA and the UK (and soon in Australia) which lets us print your book closer to you to keep the freight cost and delivery time to a minimum.

The amount we charge in shipping is exactly what Lightning Source charges us for the shipment. The shipping total includes a charge by Lightning Source of US$1.50 per order for handling and shipping materials. This charge may make a single book order appear to have higher freight costs than you would expect.

Also, in a few cases, like USPS Media Mail and shipping options to Canada, we are working with Lightning Source to provide better shipping options.
So $1.50 + what generally speaking? I'd guess a different cost for either version- soft or hardcover.

Depends on where you are and how quickly you want the book. The cheapest option within the United States is Media Mail, which costs - for example - $4.93 to get 1 copy of the Spycraft 2.0 Rulebook to me here in California.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 08:19:39 PM »

Depends on where you are and how quickly you want the book. The cheapest option within the United States is Media Mail, which costs - for example - $4.93 to get 1 copy of the Spycraft 2.0 Rulebook to me here in California.

Same cost for me, and I believe the book was printed about three hours' driving time away from me.

Moebius, the book's very well put-together. My copy's seeing regular use at my writing desk, and it's stood up to no small amount of abuse in the four weeks since I received it.

Pat, how 'bout I get some photos to you? My picture-posting-fu is as weak as a kitten.

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.

Looking for GMs for Ohio Valley conventions. Some danger involved.
Moebius
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 09:53:18 PM »

Moebius, the book's very well put-together. My copy's seeing regular use at my writing desk, and it's stood up to no small amount of abuse in the four weeks since I received it.

Good to hear. Is that the soft cover?

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 10:32:44 PM »

Good to hear. Is that the soft cover?

It appears he ordered both...

(click to show/hide)

Thanks Tracker!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 06:21:18 AM »

It appears he ordered both...

Not quite - the one on the left in the shot of three copies is the AEG color printing.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 08:04:48 AM »

Is it dumb to ask if these print on demand folks can do a copy that is no bound, but has holes punched for a three ring binder?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 09:09:53 AM »

By way of explanation on the photos, from top to bottom:

Pic 1: Left to right, the books shown are the original AEG color Spycraft 2 rulebook, the second printing of the second printing (Mongoose, B&W, lie-flat binding), and softcover print-on-demand from DTRPG/Lightning Source.

Pic 2: Tried to show the difference in the artwork, but didn't quite come out. Some of the p-o-d art is noticeably brighter or darker than that in the offset-printed version.

Pic 3: Difference in the covers, again, offset on the left, p-o-d on the right. The back cover art and text box differences are like these.

Pic 4: Chapter intro pages. The artwork on the left page is significantly darker in the p-o-d version.

Pic 5: Yep, the binding allows the book to lie flat.

Pic 6: I think this is common among p-o-d books; a couple of my Pathfinder-licensed books show this, too. There's a thin white border along a couple sides of the page, no more than an eighth of an inch. Sometimes along the side and bottom, sometimes just the side. No text or artwork is lost (yay, borders).

Pic 7: Charts are clear and easy to read.

Moebius
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 01:14:35 PM »

Oh, I didn't realize the the Mongoose book was B&W. I ordered a print-on-demand in the hard cover version last night. I thought the middle book was this. Any example of how different the print-on-demand hard cover is to these hard covers?

(incidentally, I've read that DTRPG's customer service is excellent and I can add a +1 to that testimony. I accidentally had them ship the book to an old address, caught the mistake and emailed the correct one. Jeff Montgomery emailed me this morning to say that he updated the info and there should be no problem. excellent customer service)

tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 04:06:31 PM »

Oh, I didn't realize the the Mongoose book was B&W. I ordered a print-on-demand in the hard cover version last night. I thought the middle book was this. Any example of how different the print-on-demand hard cover is to these hard covers?

Can't answer that one, I'm afraid. I expect that they'll be page-to-page identical as far as content.

Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 06:11:49 PM »

There are minor differences in the printings, which I'm sure are covered in the errata section, but nearly all of the major stuff is the same book to book.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 07:06:38 PM »

Is it dumb to ask if these print on demand folks can do a copy that is no bound, but has holes punched for a three ring binder?

That's not presently an option. It's never occurred to me to ask whether it could be done, but it's not built into their system right now.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 07:07:27 PM »

(incidentally, I've read that DTRPG's customer service is excellent and I can add a +1 to that testimony. I accidentally had them ship the book to an old address, caught the mistake and emailed the correct one. Jeff Montgomery emailed me this morning to say that he updated the info and there should be no problem. excellent customer service)

Glad to hear that! Enjoy the book! Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 09:35:51 PM »

That's not presently an option. It's never occurred to me to ask whether it could be done, but it's not built into their system right now.
I just thought I would ask.  It won't be an issue until I find a group to game with again.   Embarrassed

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: