Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2014, 05:01:35 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  Spycraft 2.0 Back in Print (on Demand)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spycraft 2.0 Back in Print (on Demand)  (Read 5751 times)
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 06, 2011, 03:09:09 PM »

Espionage never goes out of print (or style)

Spycraft 2.0 is now available in hardcover and softcover POD at our DriveThruRPG store.

Pick it up with the PDF for an added discount!

This post will self-destruct in 3, 2, 1...

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 09:48:21 PM »

So help me, I want to order a softcover copy. Just to check out the binding.

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.

Looking for GMs for Ohio Valley conventions. Some danger involved.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 02:12:52 PM »

So help me, I want to order a softcover copy. Just to check out the binding.

Full Disclosure: These books are produced through DriveThruRPG's POD print partner, Lightning Source, a long-standing, well-respected digital and offset print provider. I have a copy of each version sitting on my desk here and while the bindings aren't as sexy and durable as what you see on our offset books (anything in the Fantasy Craft line) they're plenty strong enough to stand up to what I would consider common gaming use.

This is not the same company or process as last time. For one, the actual printing gear used is owned and operated by printing professionals (Mongoose bought and tried to operate its own gear). For another, These books are not printed in smaller chunks and bound together (another byproduct of limitations with the Mongoose equipment).

These books are not perfect. They are POD, and so you can't expect the same extremely high quality of them you'd see in an offset run. They will not be as sexy as the AEG or late Mongoose runs. They are, however, available now - and there will be no further offset runs for Spycraft 2.0.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 04:30:30 PM »

I was sold at Lightning Source.

I just rarely see a full-sized softcover that's much over 250 pages.

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 07:04:35 PM »

I was sold at Lightning Source.

Glad to hear it! Smiley

I just rarely see a full-sized softcover that's much over 250 pages.

I was surprised as well. Originally, we weren't going to go through this program, as LSI couldn't do 8.5 x 11 (or even proportionate) printing. Fortunately, they upgraded their gear and now the option's available.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 11:32:47 PM »

Are these POD books color or black & white?  I might buy a third copy of the book if it meant I could have the latest ruleset in color.

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 11:45:43 PM »

Are these POD books color or black & white?  I might buy a third copy of the book if it meant I could have the latest ruleset in color.

B&W in both hardcover and softcover. Color is prohibitively expensive with pretty much all versions of POD these days.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 02:40:53 AM »

I have bought from Lightning Source in the past - they are the folks that cover George Chesbro, among others. Much better than the bindings from Mongoose's attempt at PoD, but, yeah, not as good as offset printing.

I have not seen hardcovers from them, only perfect bound softcovers.

I am glad that I will have a direction to point folks who are looking for SC2.0. (I had a couple last week.)

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 10:14:07 PM »

So, my PayPal account had some money in it not really doing anything, and my curiosity often gets the best of me.

My copy arrived today, just in time for use at tonight's game. First impressions - the book's good quality. The cover artwork and logo are a little bit off vertical center, and smaller than on the offset print versions. No big deal. Lies flat, hooray! Print quality's really good, though there's no mistaking this for offset. The pages have a small unprinted border on one or two sides, but no text is cut off. Surprised to see the Mongoose logo on the back cover.

I'm pleased with this, for what it's worth. This is easily the largest printed-on-demand book I've purchased, and it'll look just fine on the shelf (and at the table) with its traditionally-printed brothers.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:21:42 PM by tracker7 » Logged

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 04:19:22 PM »

Following on the successful launch of Spycraft 2.0 in POD, we bring you...

World on Fire in POD

Available Now!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Moebius
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 03:06:15 PM »

Considering going for the print on demand. How does the print on demand book look in B&W? How does the paperback binding hold up after some use?
Quote from: DriveThru RPG
  • Updated skill system! The newly organized skill set and modified skill rules empower the players to become anything they want to be, and back it up at Level 1.
  • Streamlined gear system! Be ready to play every session in 10 minutes or less! Rules for Agency and freelance play! Quick and easy gear options for any modern genre!
  • Dueling System! Simplified, multi-utility head-to-head mechanics for any contested action, from chases to hacker duels to brainwashing.
  • The only d20 product you need for any modern genre. Espionage, military, near-future, horror, and more - all in one book.
  • Unlimited world and NPC options! Want a gritty world populated with unique villains, quirky henchmen, and minions with character? Look no further!
  • Easy-to-use customization rules allow you to build virtually any template and lay it over the standard Spycraft system, creating an all-new gaming experience.
Is this list what was different from Spycraft 1.0, or are these the differences from the original Spycraft 2.0 to this printing?

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 03:45:10 PM »

Hey Moebius - welcome to the boards.

The list above is what was different from Spycraft first ed. The second printing of 2.0 rearranged the gear tables from the first printing, folded in errata, and was tweaked for better B/W printing.

I have yet to see this particular POD (all of them have been delivered to our California offices), but reports are the book is solid. Tracker7 and Crafty_Pat can fill in the details there for you.

Hope that helps!

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 03:51:54 PM »

I have yet to see this particular POD (all of them have been delivered to our California offices), but reports are the book is solid. Tracker7 and Crafty_Pat can fill in the details there for you.

I cover my thoughts here. Did you have any other questions?

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

starwarsphil
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »

Pat,

Any chance you could post a picture or two to give us an idea of how the POD books look?

Phil

Moebius
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »

Hmmm... sorry to be so inquisitive, but this is my first go with POD...

The soft cover is $30 and the hard cover is $40 (at the time of this post). What should I expect to pay in shipping? The site says this:
Quote from: DriveThru RPG
We currently work with Lightning Source, a world leader in print-to-order book manufacturing. Lightning Source has facilities in both the USA and the UK (and soon in Australia) which lets us print your book closer to you to keep the freight cost and delivery time to a minimum.

The amount we charge in shipping is exactly what Lightning Source charges us for the shipment. The shipping total includes a charge by Lightning Source of US$1.50 per order for handling and shipping materials. This charge may make a single book order appear to have higher freight costs than you would expect.

Also, in a few cases, like USPS Media Mail and shipping options to Canada, we are working with Lightning Source to provide better shipping options.
So $1.50 + what generally speaking? I'd guess a different cost for either version- soft or hardcover.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: