Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 09:59:14 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  A Cloak & Dagger campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Cloak & Dagger campaign  (Read 1307 times)
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2011, 02:37:56 AM »

Well, I'm starting to put in order some ideas for a Cloak & Dagger campaign. Since I'm absolutely incapable of writing clear scenarios, it will rather consist in a series of interconnected synopsizes, detailed descriptions of the main protagonists, and maybe a few un-programmed events. It will be a little bit more confuse than a full linearly-written campaign, but I'm really really bad at that. So it's basically going to be a little bit more "sandbox-like", even if there will be a clear story arc.

The main idea is this:
The characters are fulminarii at the service of the Emperor. Since the throne is currently vacant, they should be enjoying some rest. Well, instead, they are of course drawn in the middle of the political war the seven great nations are fighting. They will have to face enemy specerum, down right evil assassins, but also politicians with good intentions that are dangerous to the throne, cultists of the One, and anarchists who wish to install some sort of republic ...

I'm not going deeper into the intrigue right now, that could spoil some surprises and many ideas I have are still very much likely to evolve. So instead of talking further of the campaign arc, I'm going to shortly introduce the pre-generated characters I'm currently building. The point of these is to have an opportunity to write specific character subplots in order to enhance their involvement in the campaign.

So, the decuria* will include:
- a balataic gladiator, as bellator of the group; he will be specialized in ... close combat, mostly, with a specialty in quickly silencing enemies;
- a savvy slave (freed), as emissarius of the group; he will be specialized in stealth, espionage, investigation, and poisoning; he will also act as optione (second-in-command);
- a thesterian physician, as medicus of the group; he will be in charge of the wounded, but also a gifted philosopher, historian, and early scientist;
- an aesonian citizen, as orator of the group; he will handle a large part of the talking and deceiving, but also most of the assets of the decuria;
- a hykosian cultist of the aesonian pantheon, as vates of the group; he will be in charge of spiritual matters, as well as many aspects of teamwork;
- a stern fulminarius, as decurio; he will lead the group and take personally part in deception, wet-works, and close combat when necessary.

All members of the decuria will have some training in disguise, in order to ease group infiltrations. Some of them will also be good in stealth, while other will favor bluffing to progress further when necessary. The medicus and the vates will stick the group together thanks to their abilities. The idea is to really make each character different, unique, but still keep some sort of group unity.

Right now, I'm working on character subplots for each fulminarius of this decuria. I'll tell you more as soon as I've written some ideas down.

* Decuriae, unlike what their name would indicate, originally comprised 10 to 30 eques legionis (mounted soldiers). It is supposed that Augustus's elite praetorian guard was divided in decuriae made of 6 to 10 elite legionis - on which I'm basing the group.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 05:11:31 AM by aegis » Logged
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:52:58 AM »

I already love this thread. 2 thumbs up!

aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:37:03 AM »

Thanks Alex.

I'm advancing bits by bits. The stat-blocks and (short) descriptions of pre-generated characters are mostly done, with what I hope is a good adequateness between the mechanics and their background, which is purposefully not over-detailed (it is actually a short dossier like the one their boss would keep about each of them).

I'm also describing the main masterminds of the campaign, namely the House heads, the chief administrator of the Collegium, two cult leaders, and the fulminarii grand master -- for now. No mechanics for them (or most of them): it will be reserved for their lieutenants and other thugs, like balataic mercenaries, specerum, soldiers, etc. The masterminds are not likely to directly interact with PCs, that's the point. But as I'm writing their moral state and ambitions, I realize my campaign arc idea is already evolving, which is a good thing! There are so many possibilities with this kind of intrigue that I'm more and more certain the "sandbox" campaign is the way to go!

I'm also thinking of stealing a few ideas from the Fate system to suggest players and GMs to build Imperia together. The point is to add more details to a city that is going to be the core of a tumultuous campaign, with everyone getting involved. It must live! The players will among other things have the opportunity to design their main base, the neighborhood where they actually live, the place where their Contacts can be found, that sort of thing. This is going to be a tricky chapter, but I believe it can bring very interesting stuff to the table.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:40:16 AM by aegis » Logged
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 04:46:08 AM »

I look forward to hearing more.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 02:07:25 AM »

Thanks for your interest.

I've made a few progresses but first I'd like to have feedback on a Path I've came up with for Hestaria, goddess of prophecies. (Yes, I'm detailing the aesonian pantheon as an option for a stronger focus on the theological aspect of the campaign.)

Path of Prophecy
Prophecy I
: You gain an insight bonus to Readied actions equal to your Step in this Path and you may cast Orient Self at will.
Prophecy II : You may cast Insight twice per scene.
Prophecy III : You gain a +5 insight bonus to Initiative checks and may always act during surprise rounds.
Prophecy IV : Whenever you should get a hint, you may spend 2 action dice and fall unconscious* to get a clue instead. The GM may spend 2 action dice to counter this ability.
Prophecy V : You may cast Hindsight once per scene and never become flat-footed.

* The fact that prophets fall in a delirium coma when they get divine guidance is quite a well-known fact. So a PC that faints when using this ability is likely to be noticed and "caught in the act" if anyone's around.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:12:16 AM by aegis » Logged
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:12:59 PM »

I like everything except step IV. Auto K.O. is a bit steep, not to mention not all sources have a coma when they get divine guidance. Therefore it limits the ability as a tool-box item; comas are only a well-known fact in certain worlds/genres, for example.

Very few "future sight trances" that I've seen in movies/read in books would not make the prophet stand still and become flatfooted, though. In fact, I can't really think of any prophets that don't at least do the "stand rigid and have their eyes roll back in their head as they see the future" kind of thing and that's a pretty broad "tool-boxey" effect.

My suggestion:

Prophecy IV : Whenever you should get a hint, you may spend a full action and 2 action dice to to get a clue instead (Fantasy Craft page 335) and become flatfooted at the end of your current Initiative Count. The GM may spend 2 action dice to counter this ability or to cause you to fall unconscious immediately after you use this ability.

Step V's anti-flatfootedness might need to be adjusted with this version or maybe not. At step V you may just be good enough at trancing that you can staggeringly dodge stuff. What do ya think?  Huh?
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 01:01:01 AM »

Thanks for the comment. I read you and I agree with your idea, but mechanically speaking, I think I'm gonna go with shaken instead. Because seeing the future can be quite a shocking experience, especially when the future is not so bright. Stunned would be a solution as well, but I prefer shaken because it stacks with other effects of stress and can lead to the prophet going completely insane in some occasion - which is not unheard of. And at the same time, shaken is not leaving you completely defenseless. Good?

Edit: Now I'm hesitating. Baffled or shaken?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 08:41:34 AM by aegis » Logged
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 01:28:36 PM »

Umm... you need to write it out so we know what you mean. Baffled or shaken in place of unconscious? In place of flatfooted? In place of both? In place of neither, but as an additional effect?

See why I'm confused?
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 02:27:09 PM »

Sorry, I wasn't being clear.

Prophecy IV: Whenever you should get a hint, you may spend 2 action dice and suffer 1 grade of baffled/shaken to get a clue instead (see Fantasy Craft, page 335). The GM may spend 2 action dice to counter this ability.
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 06:11:05 AM »

I think I'm gonna stick with baffled, since it's generally associated with divine intervention. I'm not submitting it to the DB yet, though, since I expect it to change a liiiiittle bit with the new Foresight spells from Spellbound.

I've also devised a new Specialty for the setting, the Foreman. It's already on the DB:
http://www.fantasycraftdb.com/character-options/specialties/275-foreman
(The trick at the bottom is just a typo.)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:21:06 AM by aegis » Logged
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 06:38:55 AM »

To remove typo:
go to fcdb home page
go to submit an article
in the dropdown menu is an option "edit an existing..."

Veector is very prompt with fixing up your edits.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: