Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 10:57:15 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Legacy Games
| |-+  Classic Spycraft
| | |-+  So what would be the security
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So what would be the security  (Read 2643 times)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2013, 08:40:06 AM »

...the court fine and legal fees were..
That is different and unrelated sort of bad.   Tongue

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2013, 08:40:27 AM »

...I am no longer applicable for Best Buy employment in my lifetime...
Is that actually bad?

...the court fine and legal fees were..

Now, that sounds a story that needs telling. Was there a gag order? Are you willing to tell the tale? Please feel free to say no. I won't be offended. When I worked for Best Buy, I almost got to the point of strangling some customers in the music aisles.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2013, 08:56:36 AM »

Well.. coming out of separation I was a big guy.  Still am.  6'4, close to 230 with a BFI of about 14%.  So I opted for inventory.  Me and the guys were all part timers.  Just there for some extra spending cash and a workout.  Now this would be back just before flat screens.  So we're one manning 27" Tubes all day long.  Great work out.  Well.. one of our co-workers was a really nice guy, worked in IT and did Best Buy two nights a week for his hobby money to keep his wife happy.  He was also black.  We hit it off.. became buddies.  Still are, actually.  We had a floor manager who was a bit of a young, self centered jackass.  One night, we had a double truck and we're just exhausted.  The rest of the store is standing around doing nothing, and its almost closing time.  This manager asks my friend to go get the carriages outside.  It's like.. 10F out.  We're hot, sweaty and exhausted.  And we still have stuff to upstock.  He points that out and the next words out of the managers mouth is where the problem begins.  "I should have expected that answer from one of you people."  Buddy instantly goes wide eyed.. and they start to squabble.  I try to get between them and pull him off before he gets fired.  Manager throws a right hook.  Misses him.  Hits me.  I'm not sure if it was Reflex or just general ill will for this guy, but I don't even think.  He catches the back of my elbow across his jaw, and I continue my spin to completely turn face and use my approaching arm to take him down to the ground as hard as I can.  Broke his jaw.  Concussion.  Bruised his ribs (I knelt on him once he was down).  And.. yeah.. I'm no longer allowed to work at Best Buy.
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2013, 09:06:24 AM »

Completely understandable as you were defending yourself against a jackass. Until I worked there, I did not realize how much money they made with the retail vs what they paid. It is an enormous amount.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Morganti
Handler

Endless Eternity, Eternally Endless.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »

not any more.  heh.  best buy is on a horrible downswing

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2013, 12:43:43 PM »

Completely understandable as you were defending yourself against a jackass. Until I worked there, I did not realize how much money they made with the retail vs what they paid. It is an enormous amount.

Well that's pretty much true of all national retail. Except maybe CostCo. Granted, they may still make tons compared to their pay, but from everything I hear their pay is excellent. Of course it's also debatable if they count as retail, but I think the point's still there.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2013, 12:49:36 PM »

I think Costco pays well.

It is Wal Mart that not only does not pay well but is moving as many people to part time hours as possible so they do not have to provide health insurance. They are not the only ones: Olive Garden, Applebees, Red Lobster and several other national businesses are chopping hours. Why you ask? ... Obamacare.

So instead of having 1 full time job with health benefits. You can have 2 part time jobs and try to fend for yourself.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2013, 01:11:35 PM »

So instead of having 1 full time job with health benefits. You can have 2 part time jobs and try to fend for yourself.

It's okay.. even if you have health benefits, with the mass amount of people about to have access to the US Health Care system and the systemic failure to address the doctor shortage problem.. everything will be fine.. just... fine...
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2013, 03:54:09 PM »

Heaven forbid the AMA gives up its med school accreditation monopoly and we got some more doctors trained for less money, or more folks saw nurses for minor problems.  You really don't need a doctor to look at your nose and tell if your sinus plague is viral or bacterial, or to take a strep throat culture.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »

Well.. coming out of separation I was a big guy.  Still am.  6'4, close to 230 with a BFI of about 14%.  So I opted for inventory.  Me and the guys were all part timers.  Just there for some extra spending cash and a workout.  Now this would be back just before flat screens.  So we're one manning 27" Tubes all day long.  Great work out.  Well.. one of our co-workers was a really nice guy, worked in IT and did Best Buy two nights a week for his hobby money to keep his wife happy.  He was also black.  We hit it off.. became buddies.  Still are, actually.  We had a floor manager who was a bit of a young, self centered jackass.  One night, we had a double truck and we're just exhausted.  The rest of the store is standing around doing nothing, and its almost closing time.  This manager asks my friend to go get the carriages outside.  It's like.. 10F out.  We're hot, sweaty and exhausted.  And we still have stuff to upstock.  He points that out and the next words out of the managers mouth is where the problem begins.  "I should have expected that answer from one of you people."  Buddy instantly goes wide eyed.. and they start to squabble.  I try to get between them and pull him off before he gets fired.  Manager throws a right hook.  Misses him.  Hits me.  I'm not sure if it was Reflex or just general ill will for this guy, but I don't even think.  He catches the back of my elbow across his jaw, and I continue my spin to completely turn face and use my approaching arm to take him down to the ground as hard as I can.  Broke his jaw.  Concussion.  Bruised his ribs (I knelt on him once he was down).  And.. yeah.. I'm no longer allowed to work at Best Buy.

[sniff][sniff] That...  Cry That was beautiful man.  Cry You... are a real American hero.

Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2013, 08:23:05 PM »

If there's two things I could get behind as mandatory U.S. Citizen experiences, they'd be 2 years in the military, and 1 year working some drastically crappy retail or service economy job.
I don't care much if suffering builds character; I think the real value is in cultivating empathy.

Would really be Freedom though, would it? Wink
Basic Training and a Christmas season, maybe two is enough.

I already have both of these. Just for the country above the USA.  Might not be a bad idea, if only to improve cross-class interactions.

Cha togar m' fhearg gun džoladh.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: