Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 12:41:29 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Bounties
| | |-+  Let's Talk Mechanics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's Talk Mechanics  (Read 10614 times)
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2011, 11:50:11 AM »

Clearing the decks day. While we're at it, what are your favorite *new* RPG mechanics and why? Keep it to the last 10 years, please.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 12:35:46 PM »

Actually, let's skew this a bit. What mechanics can you think of that *help* the story rather than get in the way of it, and how do you feel they accomplish that?

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

vardeman
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 01:03:39 PM »

I really like the Gumshoe System's clue-finding.  The emphasis is on interpreting the clues rather than finding them.  If you're in the right place, have the right ability and tell the game master that you're using the ability, you WILL find the clue.

V
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 01:19:42 PM »

One I liked, was from Traveller T20 (their D20 version), but I think it was in all of them was the Life Path ( I think that's what it was called).  Allowed for generating a character's history/background, with of course the chance of dying before he was ever played.

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 01:31:50 PM »

Both helpful. Thanks!

What else?

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »

RTal's Lifepath, like Travellers, helps generates a background for the character where the bad (losing points off stats) and the good (gaining both additional skill, skill points, and permanent Contacts are all possible from the beginning) have an impact on your character.

Living Spycraft Masterm
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 08:03:10 PM »

The 'within the last 10 years' rule cuts out most of my fav's.   Sad
I like the GuLLiVer fan addition to GURPs especially the way is handles the relationship detail str/wt/agility and general scaling. Also Generally GURPS 3rd has rules to build anything a must for hard science fiction but most of this is earlier than the 10 year limit.   Evil
I quite like FATE for some settings

BUT:
A) GURPS'  four attributes of 3-18 is a terrible foundation for a multi-genre game.
B) FATE's narative, fast and loose nature is also a major weakness esp. for settings unfamiliar to the players
C) I use each of these games (inc. FC) for very different projects and mixing what I like from one into another would ruin the game.

Now, mechanics that I hated from the last 10 years, well we'd be here all day... 

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »

I'll second Lifepaths, and since Mekton Zeta is early ninties, it just makes the cut off.

Speaking of Mekton, two elements of that. MTS, the construction system is everything I want in a 'gear system'. I can build anything from a knife to the Death Star in it without resorting to anything more then basic math and in a straightforward logical fashion. No cube roots or doing things in unintuitive orders like GURPS Vehicles.

The second is the differentiation between character types. A PC is either a Rookie, a Professional, or a Prodigy. Rookies have a limited number of skills and start play with low scores in them, but get double advancement points for their package skills. Professionals have many more starting skills and more points to spend on them, but advance more slowly. Prodigies have the same number of skills as a Rookie, but get triple advancement in one or two skills.

Let's see....

I'm not sure I'd call it a RPG, but the game bills itself as such, so Dread's jenga based task resolution is incredibly atmospheric.

Deadlands entire system was hokey with it's mix of dice and poker hands, but was really fitting to the setting.

L5R's dueling mechanics took me and my players a little to get our heads around, but once we did it really captured the tension of the act.

I've recently be digging Eclipse Phase's mechanic. It's a pretty straightforward percentile system, but I can run it straight off the GM screen and Moxy is a cool action point system. Similarly the reputation based gift economy is very well done.

Dramatic Conflicts in SC2.0.

Teenagers From Outerspace's Too Much is Too Much mechanic. Roll too well and you succeed, but things go awry as well. Very much in the style of the source material.

Paranoia's dramatic combat system. Entertain or die. Actually, pretty much the entirety of Paranoia's PC mechanics. And it's GM advice.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »

Mutant Chronicles was another one with a sort of Lifepath character generation, and I like it.  (Even if it can't kill your character off.)

Mutant Chronicles was also nice for mechanics wise allowing grizzled vets to party with fresh noobs.  The way you spent your xp meant that noobs then improved a Lot faster than the "grizzled" NPCs.

A downside to Lifepaths, is that they are rather setting specific, IMO.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 10:02:09 PM »

True, friends and I were looking at using Traveller T20 to do Firefly, so it was easy to come up with some history either Alliance side or Independents side.

All the classes were there, the Professional was rather nice that could be another mechanic, we could do Wash and Inra all with the same class.  So it was a nice layout to be some sort of professional, whether pilot, companion, sciencist, computer expert, etc...

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 10:11:16 PM »

I rather liked the magic system in the Wheel of Time RPG, despite being based on 3.0 D&D. The Affinities, overchanneling, and most importantly being able to change the powerlevel of the spells were quite fun and IMO fairly true to the books.

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 10:21:29 PM »

Not necessarily.

Mekton Z's one are fairly setting generic, although it is somewhat predisposed to melodrama.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 10:50:34 PM »

I've been finding myself feeling nostalgic for Fading Suns, lately (pretty sure it came out in the early 90s).
Though, most of my love for it came with the presentation: 90% of any given book was flavor and setting info and only 10% was any kind of mechanics, and it was usually material that built on estabilshed systems.

As to how this applies to the given topic, let me think about this for a minute. It system was a bit inelegant, a sort of psuedo-hybrid of d20 and Storyteller systems.

It's magic systems were very roleplay focused with opposed traits. Critically Fail a power activation roll or violate a social taboo and you gained levels of the opposed trait, which had all manner of world affecting consiquences (to the dregree that a priest with full Hubris risked killing a planet due to his pride). All of the powers the preists got really reinforced what each sect stood for and really built on the setting's mythology (the highest ranking powers involving summoning angels from the heavens for divine intervention). Psychic powers worked much the same way, only it's opposed trait involved creating a mental and then physical Dark Twin, which is a roleplaying gold mine.

Combat is a bit clunky, I'll admit that, but we eventually got a handle on it and it flowed very well. It was narratively driven, no use of tactical movement or exact distance measurements. This is something I personally prefer. I love that FC's combat moves so fast on the board, but having that visual reference on the table causes me to forget to describe the action, same thing for the players.

Large chunks of character creation are devoted to how your character fits into the world and what they may or may not have through its own subsystem of Benefices and Afflictions. You could be beautiful or ugly, a war hero or a coward, a high ranking noble or a landless freeman. It was in these systems that really helped define one's character that I haven't seen replicated to this degree anywhere. Not even the new World of Darkness series of books scratch the surface of this, in my opinion.

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.
"A great GM knows how to make sure everyone has fun, and great players know the same." --Patrick Kapera
Arawn's Art: http://arawnnox.deviantart.com
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 11:00:08 PM »

The Assets & Complications from the Cortex System is very solid in its design and balance.

Living Spycraft Masterm
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 02:53:30 AM »

Ahh GURPS Vehicles, love it or hate it.
I love it, how else am I supposed to figure out the performance* of my sports air-car built for uplifted ravens? Its the old flexibility vs complication issue. Most vehicle design systems cannot build the diversity of vehicles I need for my hard sf settings. However, that kind of complication would be very serious overkill in a fantasy game.

*miles per gallon, miles per hour, radio range, computing power etc.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: