Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 02:03:03 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Bounties
| | |-+  Let's Talk Mechanics
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's Talk Mechanics  (Read 10368 times)
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2011, 03:13:03 PM »

Wookie Soldier with the Unleashed feat, power attack and a vibroaxe.

Made the party Jedi look like an utter punk.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2011, 07:51:13 PM »

Yeah, I dunno where all this Jedi worship comes from. I play a modified protocol droid and routinely show up the other five players in our party (all Sith).

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2011, 08:49:53 PM »

Yeah, I dunno where all this Jedi worship comes from.
I got nuthin':  The Jedi are a bunch of holier than thou jerks, when then aren't being Republic enforcers, and Sith are a bunch of psychotic rectums.  Force powers are cool, but a good blaster is hard to beat.

(Except with semi and fully automatic shotguns.  Ooooh baby.)

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2011, 08:59:06 PM »

Yeah, I dunno where all this Jedi worship comes from.
I got nuthin':  The Jedi are a bunch of holier than thou jerks, when then aren't being Republic enforcers, and Sith are a bunch of psychotic rectums.  Force powers are cool, but a good blaster is hard to beat.

(Except with semi and fully automatic shotguns.  Ooooh baby.)

Which is part of why WEG's Star Wars is my preferred rule set.

Jedi haven't been tainted by the prequels, and since they buy their Force sensitivity and skills out the same pool as attributes and skills, it balances out.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2011, 01:47:12 AM »

Gotta disagree: give me the ability to leap tall structures, parachute drop without parachutes, hurl a wave of enemy troops to the ground and over steep precipes with the wave of a hand and dominate the weakwilled any day. I have enough of being mundane in my day-to-day.

And if a player isn't mechanically able pull off that sort of thing, you have hands down failed to deliver what the average person expects and wants from a Star Wars game.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 01:50:27 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2011, 03:51:37 AM »

Gotta disagree: give me the ability to leap tall structures, parachute drop without parachutes, hurl a wave of enemy troops to the ground and over steep precipes with the wave of a hand and dominate the weakwilled any day. I have enough of being mundane in my day-to-day.

And if a player isn't mechanically able pull off that sort of thing, you have hands down failed to deliver what the average person expects and wants from a Star Wars game.

*sigh*

Honestly, are you familiar with the system?

The first is the either the Concentration or Telekinesis power, the next two are the Telekinesis power, and the last is the Affect Mind power.

Frankly, I blame the video games to a large degree and the prequels only slightly. The game is from a simpler, more elegant time before Jedi became... whatever they are now.

In the movies Jedi show some super athletics, telekinesis, the jedi mind trick, some precog and farseeing, and the ability to focus on a task. Oh, and to use a lightsaber in combat without killing yourself.

d6 SW covers all of that.

And none of my non-force sensitive PCs ever felt second fiddle to the force users in the party.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
the331st
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2011, 09:36:51 AM »

*sigh*

Honestly, are you familiar with the system?

The first is the either the Concentration or Telekinesis power, the next two are the Telekinesis power, and the last is the Affect Mind power.

Frankly, I blame the video games to a large degree and the prequels only slightly. The game is from a simpler, more elegant time before Jedi became... whatever they are now.

In the movies Jedi show some super athletics, telekinesis, the jedi mind trick, some precog and farseeing, and the ability to focus on a task. Oh, and to use a lightsaber in combat without killing yourself.

d6 SW covers all of that.

And none of my non-force sensitive PCs ever felt second fiddle to the force users in the party.

To be fair, my DM at the time was going a bit crazy, so maybe that colored my view of things. A lot of the flak Jedi got from other players came from the fact that Sith were untouchable, and other Jedi couldn't even touch em, and that the Jedi powers recharged after 5 min. Most of this could have been rectified if our games had nothing to do with Sith but I guess its unavoidable even if you have one Jedi trainee in the party. blerg.

On a side note I like whom ever tweeked the system to make the Final Fantasy Saga RPG  http://bluwiki.com/go/Finalfantasysaga, I think the Ivalice Setting is the only one with work done in it but I like how this is what 4e could have looked like.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2011, 03:37:31 PM »

The classic movies had 2 old men, a cyborg cripple and an undertrained young punk. It's not exactly a surprise they didn't get up to a lot, but even Empire showed they had a physicality beyond the norm in addition to mind control, prescience, clairsentience & TK.

And that's nearly 2 generations ago: the prequels, the animated series and the games (not even including TFU) are what fans have grown to expect from the setting and what tabletop games have to emulate now.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »

The classic movies had 2 old men, a cyborg cripple and an undertrained young punk. It's not exactly a surprise they didn't get up to a lot, but even Empire showed they had a physicality beyond the norm in addition to mind control, prescience, clairsentience & TK.

And that's nearly 2 generations ago: the prequels, the animated series and the games (not even including TFU) are what fans have grown to expect from the setting and what tabletop games have to emulate now.
Episode II did have a badass normal going toe-to-toe with a Jedi Master and winning...

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2011, 06:08:05 PM »

Jango had the environment and a jet pack on his side. The bad-ass normal/jedi rematch on Geonosis played out according to script.

Getting into melee with a jedi typically doesn't go well for the non-jedi; ep III showed us that nomals need concentrated ranged attacks to reliably off them.

Speaking of which, I miss Tarkovsky's Clone Wars: yes, his jedi are pretty much gods striding the world (vis a vis Mace Windu on Dantooine) but his version of Grievous is pretty much the only one where the lightsaber wielding borg is a legitimate threat to (multiple!) jedi instead of a panto clown that can't even injure a barely pubescent padawan.

the331st
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 05:08:40 PM »

Spellbound Kingdoms is a great little game that has one mechanic I'm thinking of grafting to FC. Each region has a thing called "Doom"; where "Doom" is the DC for accomplishing tasks in a given region. ie the less friendly a region is to you, the higher the Doom (or DC). Trying to get in the good graces of a region potentially reduces the Doom of a region making it easier to accomplish checks there. Taming a Wild Area you know has a mcguffin could lower the Doom increasing likelihood of success for example.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2011, 12:48:42 AM »

An idea: Base error range is equal to the Menace of the adventure; all other character options either expand r contract that number

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2011, 04:59:36 AM »

On th etopic of Jedi and other walking avatars of overkill and other player characters, I was reminded of this~

http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=2002.0

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
SnowDog
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2011, 06:30:46 AM »

Since I have not run any games for a few years now, I have to resort to bit older systems or those that I have only read.

Silhouette (2nd edition) is a really nice system that fades to background pretty well. The bad thing is the granulity ot the system.

Interlock (like in Cyberpunk 2020) have given me a lot of fond memories as a general gaming system but I didn't like those strict "Roles".

Probably best game system that I have run so far is Praedor but unfortunately it is only in Finnish. Basically it is a roll under system where difficulty dictates how many dice you roll. Easiest rolls are 1 dice and most difficult are 5 dice. You count the total of the dice and if you roll under your skill, you succeed. There are some more details but that is nice system in it's simplicity.

It's true that Burning Wheel and Burning Empires use pretty cumbersome rules system and that's why I have shied away from it (although I have bought rule systems). Still, I like the way that life paths are presented in those games. Of course life paths have to reflect the kind of game setting they are designed for and that is definitely the case in Burning Empires that is based on Iron Empires graphic novels. One thing that sets the life path apart from other similar systems is that you have certain points to buy traits based on life path careers. Nothing unusual here but the catch here is that positive as well as negative traits cost points Smiley

I like FATE but it is kind of hard to run action games with it, IMHO. Then again I can really envision myself running more politically motivated games using that system.

"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."

- Full Metal GM
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2011, 03:16:48 PM »

I'd like to see 3rd Edition's skill mechanic radically overhauled, even if only by a campaign quality.

One of the things I like about Star Wars Saga Edition is that skills are trained or untrained; however, untrained simply meant that you were less good at it intead of being rubbish because you get a level-indexed bonus to skill checks as you level up. I don't have my book to hand, but I seem to recall it was half-level for untrained skills, level+5 for trained.

The idea being that being the cinematic sort of hero that people were, a 10th level character would essentially by osmosis be able to do skill-related things a 1st level character wouldn't even if they were both equally untrained. The "school of life" approach.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: