Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 29, 2014, 03:40:33 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Advice for Running PbP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice for Running PbP  (Read 1892 times)
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 10:54:10 PM »

That all sounds fair, though you might want to start off with the Campaign Qualities in play, if any. In this case, mentioning that the campaign's Era is Primitive would be an easy way of explaining the lack of metal-related options.

Also, forcing people to take specific feats is very limiting, unless they're not starting at level 1 (or you give them the feat for free).

One other thing, would the players need to come up with their own Alignments, or are you supplying them based on the options listed?

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
MikeS
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 11:11:26 PM »

If you have people play amnesiacs, how far does the loss of memory extend? The last month (or a specific timeframe)? Anything about their previous lives? Just curious, because roleplaying would depend a lot on how much you remember.

For all that matters, I think in a special case like this it would be perfectly fine to make the characters and maybe even give out only partial information about what the characters know how to do. Each player can then select a handful of character traits he'd like to play to, so you basically just have a personality outline.

Sounds interesting!
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 12:49:07 AM »

Honestly, if they're all giants it might be simpler to let them play as humans and just down-scale everything else

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 03:19:56 PM »

Hi all,
A general question: what is the max number of players and why?

Regarding All giants, the options will open up a bit on adventure 2 so IF charactetrs are kept using human stats and simply scaling is not going to work.
Memory loss is total: they have a language and discover skills by use but that's it
I have tried to build customisation into my pregens.
Info pack for PCs will include campaign quals
Am considering the free feat. Starting level will be 1.
Alignments will be introduced in play and PCs given opportunities to declare alliegence.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 05:39:06 PM »

A general question: what is the max number of players and why?

There's no maximum number of players for a PbP game, other than the number you think you can handle in one game. Obviously, more players means longer combat and other highly player-dependent events.

Regarding All giants, the options will open up a bit on adventure 2 so IF charactetrs are kept using human stats and simply scaling is not going to work.

Giving the free Feat won't work then, either, unless all the race options are Large.

Memory loss is total: they have a language and discover skills by use but that's it

Okay, this makes more sense for somewhat pregenerated characters.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 09:41:49 PM »

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Taking the above onboard I think the best way to start is for me to post the first post of the first scene and then call for players. There will also be some info on genre, feel, camapign qualities etc. in the first post.

Players will then pick a pregen and fill it out with personality traits and a physical description.

I'll try to keep the first adventure short. After that players can make characters if anyone wants to continue. After each adventure the restrictions on PCs will become looser.

Anyway, all this is about 3 months away...

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: