Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 02:14:55 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Longshot!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Longshot!  (Read 1136 times)
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 15, 2011, 01:34:41 PM »

Lucky Star

Just toying with luck mechanics, with in mind characters like Longshot, of course, but also other (almost) supernaturally lucky guys like Mc Lane, dear Mr. Bond, Christopher Chance, etc.

Class Features

Conditions
: All In, Fortune Favors the Bold, Impress 6+ ranks
Class Skills: Acrobatics, Bluff, Impress, Notice, Prestidigitation, Ride, Sense Motive
Skill Points: 4 + Int modifier per Level
Vitality: 12 + Con modifier per Level

BAB medium
Fort slow
Ref high
Will slow
Def high
Init slow
LS medium
Leg high

Core Ability

Push Your Luck
: When in dire need of assistance, you can always count on your lucky star. The bonus granted by your Fortune Favors the Bold feat increases by 1/2 your class level (rounded up).

Class Abilities

Luck Loaded
: You just never fumble! At Levels 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9, you gain 1 additional Chance feat or you may take a Step along the Fortune Path.

Over The Edge I: At Level 2, once per check, you may re-roll any save, keeping the best result.
Over The Edge II: At Level 6, once per check, you may re-roll any save or skill check, keeping the best result.
Over The Edge III: At Level 10, once per check, you may re-roll any check, keeping the best result.

Taking Chances I: You can't be great without taking risks. At Level 4, you only need to spend 2 Edge to make use of your All In feat. Further, you gain 1 Edge when you score a natural 20 on an attack check against a special adversary.
Taking Chances II: At Level 8, you only need to spend 1 Edge to make use of your All In feat. Further, you gain 1 Edge when you succeed by 1 or less on an attack or skill check against a special adversary.

More Than Luck: At Level 4, your starting action dice increase by 1.

Triumphant: Your feats are such wonders that poets write anthems about them. At Level 7, once per session, when you achieve a result of 60 or better on any check, you score a triumph. Your Reputation increases by 2 and you recover vitality equal to your check result. Further, all witnesses but your allies are fascinated and baffled by you, and their Attitude towards you increases by 1 grade.

Proven Worth: You are a wellspring of good fortune for yourself and your allies. At Level 8, you and each teammate’s starting action dice increase by 1. No character’s starting action dice may increase by more than 3 as a result of this ability.

Thoughts?
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 01:57:43 PM »

No chance to read this properly, but I made a chance feat line which generally seemed on reflection to be more like class abilities than feat material - have a look and see if you might want to borrow anything.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 10:56:39 AM by paddyfool » Logged
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:50:28 AM »

Looking at this class properly, you're going to end up with a silly amount of action dice and rerolls, which would certainly be fun to have.  Throw in a level of Sage to your character build and suddenly your whole party will love you, which is something of a bonus.  I also particularly like what Taking Chances does with the All In feat, and the Triumphant ability.

The main quibble I'd have is that the Over the Edge line seems a bit much.  1/check means that you're rolling twice on all saves, which is really pretty powerful.  Maybe have Over the Edge I give the Veteran Adventurer feat, Over the Edge II stretch the reroll on that to 3/scene (but no more than 1/check), and Over the Edge III stretch that to skill checks as well.
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 05:18:06 AM »

Hum, you're indeed very right. I don't know why I didn't see it at first but Over The Edge is dramatically overpowered, even at grade I. I will avoid granting the Veteran Adventurer feat, since the class already allows for a bunch of feats to be taken -- I can make it a prerequisite, though -- but I'll try to come up with somthing like what you said.
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 12:24:09 PM »

It feels like there should be something in here regarding Petty Fates for Cheating Death, or some use of the old Pointman's Serendipity ability.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 11:35:26 PM »

The charcter Longshot was more than lucky - he was an acrobat, and acomplished knife fighter/thrower, and had psychometry abilites. He was also not particulary dominent in every arena or every possible skill use. This seems sort of one-dimensional and mostly driven by mechanical tinkering rather that how it will actually present in-setting. I think a lot of the new mechanics seen here could be broken into Chance feat chains, and the whole thing managed as an Explorer who is taking those new chains.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 03:32:19 AM »

I wasn't meaning to create longshot himself, just some mechanics behind his "lucky guy" concept and others like him. Yes, he was also a great acrobat and a hurled master, but there are skills and feats for that.

Considering the breaking of mechanics into feats, I agree. The class is very one-dimensional and was just an excuse to toy with luck mechanisms. Now if I look more closely, I only see two things worth of becoming feats of their own:
- Taking Chances, as an upgrade of All In;
- and Triumphant ... maybe as a campaign quality?
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 03:33:44 AM »

So it breaks down to a Chance feat ...

Taking Chances
How could you achieve greatness without taking great risks?
Prerequisites: All In
Benefit: You only need to spend 2 Edge to make use of your All In feat. Further, you gain 1 Edge when you score a natural 20 on an attack check against a special adversary.

... and a campaign quality ...

Legendary Deeds (Permanent)
Heroes sometimes accomplish such wonders that poets write anthems about them. Once per session, when a hero achieves a result of 60 or better on any check, he scores a triumph. His Reputation increases by 2 and he recovers an amount of vitality equal to the check result. Further, all witnesses but his allies are fascinated and baffled, and their Attitude increases by 1 grade.

Thoughts? I'll add that to the FCdb in a few days.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 12:50:44 PM »

We alreadfy have rules regarding Triumphs in the rule base, in SC2.0.

Using those as a base:

Legendary Heroes (Permanent)

When a character succeeds with a skill or attack check and scores a total result of 75 or higher, he scores a “Triumph.” This is a defining accomplishment on the order of an Olympic record or a history-making speech. Scoring a Triumph is the highest possible accolade in Fantasy Craft and reason for reverent celebration.

No Triumph should go by unnoticed; neither should one fade quickly. Triumphs are the stuff of legend and should find an honorable home in the GM’s setting — perhaps as a recurring NPC-driven story growing more and more outlandish over time, maybe as something for which high-ranking NPCs commend the team when they meet for the first time. The Game Master should always strive to pay tribute in his own way, using each Triumph as the gateway to greater role-playing potential. But Triumphs are not merely flavor. They also offer the entire team a number of significant benefits, as follows.

All Triumphs:
•  Once per adventure only, the character scoring the Triumph and each of his teammates gains an additional 100 base XP for the current adventure.

•  Once per adventure only, the character scoring the Triumph gains 3 reputation, all of his teammates present as the Triumph happens gain 2 reputation, and those teammates not present gain 1 Reputation.

Skill Check Triumphs:
•  Each time a Triumph occurs, the Disposition toward the skill user of each standard character who witnesses the Triumph as it happens — including each standard villain — increases by 15 until the end of the current adventure (see Disposition, page 373).

•  Once per session only, the disposition of each special character toward the skill user who witnesses the Triumph as it happens — not including villains — increases by 10 grade until the end of the current mission.

Attack Check Triumphs:
•  The attack is considered a 1 die critical hit. Additional dice may be spent to improve the critical result.

•  Each time a Triumph occurs, a standard opponent who witnesses the Triumph as it happens takes 2d10 stress damage.

•  Once per session only, a special opponent who witnesses the Triumph as it happens takes 1d10 stress damage.

•  A moral check with a DC of 25 is triggered for opponents who witnesses the Triumph as it happens.

Special Note: During an opposed check when both participants score results of 75 or greater, only the highest (winning) result may generate a Triumph.

Common Spectacle (Permanent):  Water cooler moments are all too common. A Triumph occurs with any skill check result of 60 or higher. However, the Triumph’s XP bonus is reduced to 50 XP.

Rare Spectacle (4 Action Dice): Few spikes dot the action. A Triumph only occurs with a skill check result of 90 or higher.

Bits of this are copy and paste with a few mondifications. Alex and Pat, let me know if you want more rewriting.

EDIT: Looking back, this may need the Rep reward (which is based off instant rewards here) boosted, and the stress damage to standards adjusted or swapped for something else since they used the same death spiral mechanic in SC2.0 as specials (which was different then what MC uses). I'll think on it this weekend.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:44:59 PM by Krensky » Logged

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 05:00:27 PM »

Have you looked at the Weaver class from spycraft 2.0?

aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 02:09:41 AM »

I know, I just wanted to make it simpler. But your suggestion is indeed more complete.
I have not, which surprises me quite a bit.  Tongue  What/where is it?
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 04:34:08 AM »

I know, I just wanted to make it simpler. But your suggestion is indeed more complete.

Simple is good, but this is something so rare it doesn't bother me to have to go look it up.

I tried to copy the achievement/trophy aspect over, and let some of the glory splash around. I also went with the disposition increases over the attitude ones since it feels more in line with the rest of the system.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 06:50:48 AM »

I have not, which surprises me quite a bit.  Tongue  What/where is it?

Its a psion probability-manipulation class. It's in The Shop.

aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 10:14:02 AM »

Oh, it's the classic spycraft version then? I thought for a moment there was a 2.0 conversion I missed. Tongue
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: