Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 06:32:36 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Against the Dragon Gods(OOC)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Against the Dragon Gods(OOC)  (Read 5182 times)
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 02:12:47 AM »

Let's say... a year or two, but not much of that spent in the city itself (mostly around its surrounding outposts etc.).

On the dilemma as to having the "unofficial language" of the steam kingdoms vs the "trade-speak" of the same as the party tongue: could we say that somebody speaking one can make themselves understood to someone speaking the other, but that you'll engender a small disposition penalty if you try using one where people would generally use the other?  (i.e. attracting opinions along the lines of "high-falutin' city folk talkin' down to us" vs "yokels with thick accents and coarse uneducated expressions").  Trading argots do usually base themselves primarily on the local majority language, after all.
Iprophet
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 03:25:37 AM »

Yeah, I had thought of the Trade speak more along the lines of a pidgin language between Steam-Talk and Hugelsprach, so one could theoretically make oneself understood by a speaker of either.  (Human farmers need to speak to dwarven and pech merchants anyhow)
jameswllorimer
Agent

"Alea iacta est" - The die is cast

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 03:36:28 AM »

Hey, I've tweaked my character with languages and interests in the original "idea for a game thread", not sure how to stick a picture in but I have one if someone could let me know. Sorry about being (relatively quiet) -I've had a busy end to the week!

Also @Iprophet, Elias will have been in Chataya for about a year. He knows the city well enough but is discovering new aspects of it all the time.
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 06:01:30 AM »

Firstly, I think The Box has been in the city about a year. Long enough for rumours of the odd unborn to spread, for the urban myth to be seen by more and more people, for the myth to become a nuisance, and eventually for enough of the public to complain (20 reputation) to the council. Being burried in a trunk is kinda a negative favour.

So...we are going with rust talk and steam talk being able to get a message across?
Reminds me of a anecdote in Jared Diamond's "Collapse" where Jared, an English speaker, apologises to a man for "push im your wife" poor Jared, the man was very angry.
Anyway, foundation to pidgin can cause terrible misunderstandings. Could be treated like Aloof? or Reviled?

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Iprophet
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 06:19:24 AM »

That does sound like a plan.
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 06:42:46 AM »

Giving skill checks across the Steam Talk: Rust Common or Hugelsprach: Rust Common divide the same penalties as Aloof would fit very nicely, imho.
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 07:22:53 AM »

or for added needless complexity
Hoity toity Steem talkers speakin' proper-like are seen as Aloof
while
Vulgar immegrants and uneducated commoners using the pidgin known as 'rust talk' are Reviled.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 07:27:02 AM »

Hey, I've tweaked my character with languages and interests in the original "idea for a game thread", not sure how to stick a picture in but I have one if someone could let me know. Sorry about being (relatively quiet) -I've had a busy end to the week!

Also @Iprophet, Elias will have been in Chataya for about a year. He knows the city well enough but is discovering new aspects of it all the time.

I'd like to know how to attach a pic too!
(not that I have one yet).

"I just do eyes"
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 08:08:29 AM »

Hit the quote button on the post with martika's sheet to see how I've done it

Also, swapped out Elf Ntions for Steam Talk. Now the only language she doesn't speak is Runt.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:12:41 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 09:52:36 AM »

I've been unsuccessful in a quick google hunt for a suitable image for Rollo - this is about the closest:

(click to show/hide)

Funny how not a lot of halflings tend to be toting around pistols, grenades etc. ...
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 10:09:02 AM »

How long do Saurians usually live?  (Crocodiles seem to average around 75 years with 115 being a record.  Or are they more Drake/Dragon-ish with some (lucky/skilled) individuals living for the better part of a millenia though most meet their demise through violence inside a couple of centuries.)

Mikhailovskoe Kravchinsky Kropotkinyvich hatched around 20 years ago, in [town name], a modest sized trading town not far off a trade route running southeast from it's pass in the [world name of Sierra Madre mountains] through the desert highlands towards the Elven lands to the south.

One of six in his creche group.  [More to follow, I'm off for the day.]

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »

Funny how not a lot of halflings tend to be toting around pistols, grenades etc. ...

paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 04:00:20 PM »

Good find, sir.  I think I might just have to go with that...
Iprophet
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 04:56:24 PM »

How long do Saurians usually live?
I'd say about a century on average.
Doublebond
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 05:02:52 PM »

Don't mean to intrude, but if any of you are having difficulty finding pictures you're welcome to make use of a collection of fantasy art I've been building for several months. It has almost 1000 pictures so presumably at least one of you ought to find something of use.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: