Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 12:52:42 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  New Human Talent
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Human Talent  (Read 1950 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:34:55 AM »

Hulking.
You're big, fast and stubborn, but you're not exactly subtle.
  • Attribute Modifiers: +2 Strength, –2 Dexterity
  • Base Speed: 40 ft.
  • Large: Your size becomes Large (1x1, Reach 1). Your maximum wounds are equal your Constitution score × 1.5 (rounded up). You may not use Large scale weapons.
  • Hearty Appetite: You benefit from the first 2 food and 2 drink you consume each day.
  • Iron Will: You gain the Iron Will feat.
  • Restricted Actions: Conceal Item, Stash and Stealth checks made by you are considered untrained.
  • Toppling Swing: You gain the Toppling Swing trick.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 05:02:20 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »

Needs a requirement: medium size (unless you want some seriously big peck and goblins) Smiley

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Doublebond
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:24:13 AM »

But it's a talent. Why would pech and goblins be taking talents?

I also don't like how the restricted actions makes it feel too inhuman. I'm fine with it but for that one quality.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:10:31 AM »

The idea is that you're simply too big to be able to do that sort of thing easily -- you stick out like a sore thumb because humans just aren't meant to be as large as you are (giants and giant-blooded OTOH are the beneficiaries of evolutionary adaptation to their size and yes, you can have hulking half-giants)

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:14:54 AM »

But it's a talent. Why would pech and goblins be taking talents?

Missed that. Thought it was a Specialty Smiley.

I also don't like how the restricted actions makes it feel too inhuman. I'm fine with it but for that one quality.

I like it for repersenting psychology as much as physiology. Same as I'm happy to use Iconic classes in Talents to represent highly structured cultures.

...But I enjoy working within and overcoming penalties more than most gamers it appears Sad.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:18:12 AM »

The Iconic tools don't so much say highly structured to me, as retarded (in the sense of limited or stunted development). So I can see them, frex, far more easily with bestial species, than otherwise.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 11:23:34 AM »

*grin* You see role-playing as an opportunity to be an iconclast - to break every mold simply because it is a mold, where I see it as a chance to be something other than myself that largely FITS into the setting presented.

Fortunately, the game police think we're both only minor nut jobs and leave us to play (and design) as we like Smiley.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 11:25:57 AM »

*grin* You see role-playing as an opportunity to be an iconclast - to break every mold simply because it is a mold, where I see it as a chance to be something other than myself that largely FITS into the setting presented.

Fortunately, the game police think we're both only minor nut jobs and leave us to play (and design) as we like Smiley.

There is more than a modicum of truth in the above statement

Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 11:28:05 AM »

Funnily enough, I came up with a talent that was named the same thing a while back...
Note that I was using costs derived from the first printing, so it might be a little off now, haven't checked...

Hulking
You are larger than most people.
Type: Large (2x2) biped folk with a Reach of 1. Your maximum wounds equal your Constitution score x 1.5 (rounded down).

• Attributes: No modifiers
  • Base Speed: 40ft.
  • Crunch!: Your Strength-based damage rolls inflict 1 additional damage.
  • Fatal Falls: You suffer 1 additional damage per die from falling and the damage gains the keen (20) quality.
  • Hearty Appetite: You benefit from the first 2 food and 2 drink you consume in each day.
  • Lumbering: You suffer a –2 penalty with all Reflex saves and become flanked any time two opponents are adjacent to you.
  • Iron Gut: You gain an insight bonus equal to your Constitution modifier with saves against disease and poisons (minimum +1).
  • No Pain: You ignore the first fatigued or shaken condition you gain in each scene.
  • Sterner Stuff: The keen quality of each attack made against you decreases by 4.
  • Thick Hide 2: You’re considered to be wearing partial armor that provides Damage Reduction 2. This DR does not stack with other armor (only the best protection applies). If you gain thick hide from multiple sources, your hide offers the highest single DR value + 1 per additional hide benefit (e.g. thick hide 4, thick hide 3, and thick hide 1 offer DR 6).

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 11:33:08 AM »

I keep seeing hearty appetite in these (which is totally fitting/amusing) and keep hearing a voice in my head yelling "I'm NOT fat! I'm big-boned!"

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 11:39:27 AM »

2x2 strikes me as excessive for a human talent, and I'm not quite sure lumbering and a speed boost go together with any great synergy. Fatal Falls is amusing, however, and it's interesting how we both gravitated to hearty appetite and, effectively, no pain; I went with the feat because to me Iron Will gives a better sense of immovable object than Great Fortitude does (plus the bump to Large is already handing you a bunch of extra wounds) and it cuts down on the number of bullet points

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 11:40:08 AM »

I keep seeing hearty appetite in these (which is totally fitting/amusing) and keep hearing a voice in my head yelling "I'm NOT fat! I'm big-boned!"
Grin

pawsplay