Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 06:35:24 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  A new Idea for a game
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A new Idea for a game  (Read 7845 times)
Iprophet
« on: February 20, 2011, 12:07:29 AM »

So, would anyone be interested in playing a game where steampunk and fantasy clash?
I have an idea for a setting where dragons rule much of the known world, enslaving most of the common races, while a large group of individuals has fled across the sea and are holding there own, barely, using the newfound power of black powder and steam?
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 07:58:32 AM »

Very tempting, for all that I'm overly time-committed.  A few questions:

1) What campaign qualities and/or house-rules will be in play?

2) Any restriction on species, gear era, etc.?

3) How serious or fun do you want to take it? (I'm tempted to go for a Goblin or Pech Monster Slayer, ready to take on anybody, partly for gits and shiggles).
Iprophet
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:38:41 AM »

1)Campaign Qualities: Flexible Magic Items Miracles (Fickle Universe, Indifferent Universe), Sorcery (Wild Magic, Corrupting Magic), Fear and Loathing, Legendary Monsters
House Rules:
The Dragon Kingdoms exist in the Feudal era, while the Steam Kingdoms have moved to Industrial.
The Alignments will be divided between the Dragon Kings and the New Gods, with every god having a rival on the opposing pantheon.

2)It will be near impossible to get Reason/Industrial gear in the Dragon Kingdoms, and Aetheric (Magic) Items are rarer on in the Steam Kingdoms.
As for race, Drakes and Saurians will get along better in the DKs, while the opposite is true in the SKs

3) I like a mix of seriousness and fun.  As an Example, one game I ran was able to be serious when it needed to be, regardless of the presence of a Mary Q. Contrary, Neutral Good Shadowcaster and devoted servant of Pelor.
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 12:11:31 PM »

Sounds good.  

If we're starting in the Dragon Kingdoms but not on their side, I'm most tempted by a foul-mouthed goblin ranger scout, going monster slayer.

If the Steam Kingdoms, a brash, arrogant, pistol-toting pech dragoon captain, going monster slayer.  With maybe a large unborn PL that includes a shoulder saddle.

If in the Dragon Kingdoms and on their side, a tyrannical lord captain drake with draconic heritage, a PL who is also a drake, and followers who are also drakes.  There wouldn't be any problem with that, right?  Wink
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 12:44:58 PM by paddyfool » Logged
Iprophet
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:09:31 PM »

I see beautiful, terrible things occurring if I allow that last choice.  The Player in me drools at the possibilities, while the GM in me trembles.  Well, I'll wait and see if I get any more interest before making a definite decision.
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 01:20:58 PM »

Sounds interesting, I'd be interested in playing this. I'd probably make a character who embraces technology, going for guns and bombs as the chosen tools of destruction.

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »

I see beautiful, terrible things occurring if I allow that last choice.  The Player in me drools at the possibilities, while the GM in me trembles.  Well, I'll wait and see if I get any more interest before making a definite decision.

Heh.  Don't worry, I wasn't seriously suggesting it.  It was just a fun concept idea I had awhile back to see just how much dragon you could have with a level one PC.
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 03:14:46 PM »

i am interested was thinking of some kinda dragon blooded elf, using him as some kind of agent. i know their are chances of mistrust on both sides, but i like a good chalenge.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 06:29:45 PM »

Sounds like an interesting setting.

Been mulling over a couple of character concepts recently, A Tiger Nation Elf Martial Artist or a pistol-wielding combat character of some stripe (maybe an urban Scout) aiming for Deadeye.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 06:49:58 PM »

Character level?

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 06:56:13 PM »

I'd like in if there is room.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Iprophet
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 07:27:59 PM »

Character level would be five.
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 12:34:22 AM »

change of plans, i am still looking at some kind of agent just looking for aproval for what i have now. raven nation elf acrobat. i have not decided on class yet, though something stealthy, like assasin or scout. also what out of the adventure companion is allowed?

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 04:31:37 AM »

I'd like to go for a Pech Vanguard Captain 3 / Soldier 1 / Monster Slayer 1, riding around on a large, four-legged iron golem (his PL), smoking fine cigars.  Mulling over the background, but I'm thinking something of a slightly eccentric guardian of civilisation here.

EDIT: And I'm open to listening to preferences from other players on which Basic Combat feats I take for sharing (I've room for two).  For sharing, I'm thinking of at least one out of Contempt, Charge Basics, Quick Draw and Lightning Reflexes; but then I'm also tempted by Aggro Basics or Giant Slayer Basics for this character.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:12:03 AM by paddyfool » Logged
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 09:58:30 AM »

Is there space for a Saurian Burglar of Draconic Heritage?  Mostly Burglar, maybe some Swashbuckler?  Something about wings, breath weapon, a brace of pistols, and a mouthful of wicked pointy teeth appeals to me.   Grin

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: