Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 06:43:02 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  What kind of books would you like to see for 3.0?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What kind of books would you like to see for 3.0?  (Read 6731 times)
Dace
Recruit

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2011, 11:40:03 PM »

I was thinking about what I'd like to see for 3.0. With it's more general espionage appeal I think I would love to see a return to the Agency and Mastermind books. Both of them were very helpful GM tools in building spy agencies for my games. I think a 3.0 update of those two books would be grand.

Any others?
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:43:51 AM »

I'm a fan of the '60s book..  I'd like to see something like that, but I'd settle with just whatever the necessary agency stats would be.   As the '60s book from an information stand point is still usable as is.

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 03:11:41 AM »

I liked almost all the previous settings that were published under Spycraft Classic or 2.0. If there could be an equivalent to the Adventure Companion with quick setting conversions for ShadowForce Archer, World on Fire, and Dark Inheritance, that would be awesome. But I know that looking backward is not often a good thing. So I would be also thrilled to see an entirely new espionage setting, with adventures and an evolving campaign arc.  Cheesy

And yes, the Agency and Mastermind books, if not de facto contained in the core rulebook, would be really helpful.

I'm expecting these kind of supplements far more than additional base/expert classes or piles of gear, honestly. I've never been a fan of the Bag Full of Guns series.
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 10:56:18 AM »

. I've never been a fan of the Bag Full of Guns series.

For guns, I'd prefer a decent list in the main book, but rules for being able to generate most other guns.  In that I mean, common dmg stats for common ammo and enough weapon qualities to mimic just about anything out there.

I realize for some out there, every 9MM hang gun is different, yet for most and me, any 9MM will do.

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 11:33:26 AM »

. I've never been a fan of the Bag Full of Guns series.

For guns, I'd prefer a decent list in the main book, but rules for being able to generate most other guns.  In that I mean, common dmg stats for common ammo and enough weapon qualities to mimic just about anything out there.

I realize for some out there, every 9MM hang gun is different, yet for most and me, any 9MM will do.

Seconded.

Or is that thirded?

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
noiseconspiracy
Crafty n00b

like the Claw end of the Hammer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 11:45:23 AM »

I think, with a new edition, it might get boring to see too much re-hashing of old books. I prefer the idea that there are plug-and-play supplements, sort-of worldbooks that present a different idea.

For example. Maybe one whole supplement that was sort of a psychic agents? Nothing like superheroes in capes (that would be lame), but a government branch that specializes in those with extra traits. Imagine it.
  • Instead of sneaking in a wiretap or a bug, working to sneak in a telepath to pick up what the team needs.
  • Being pinned down, and able to use that psychokinesis to create a distraction or open a door you're pinned in front of.
And et cetera. In the last 2.0 game I ran, I was tying some of these abilities into my main villains, mostly just to give it that "larger than life" feeling. It was also because we all were big fans of Espionage such as Metal Gear Solid, and it added that air of mystery to the campaign to have those main baddies with unpredictable moves. It kept my PCs from planting in cover for entire battles, to say the least.
mathey
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 08:37:34 PM »

Its my understand that there will someday be a sourcebook for MasterCraft (the whole line) focused on gear in many types of settings, presumably including 20th-21st century weapons, so I don't think we'll need one specifically for SpyCraft. I also find that gunz iz gunz, but the more gearheaded types out there may find options in there to go crazy with the stats.

I liked how Adventure Companion linked to FantasyCraft. It provided some ideas for campaigns you can crib from or use in full, and it tacked on some crunchy options for any kind of fantasy game - sort of everything they couldn't fit into the core rules or came up with in the year or so afterward. The setting stuff was nice because it didn't seem too long or too short - just enough to get you going. Something like that might be good for SpyCraft.

I think I'd need to know more about 3.0's organization rules and what it'll include on genre subjects like tradecraft before I'd want more specifics on agency/mastermind organizations.
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »

<cynical>
Ones that come out on time. (Stiiiill waiting on Spellbound...)
</cynical>

An Adventurer Companion type book with some example settings and extra classes and feats would be nice. Failing that, a Shadowforce Archer type setting book. Something with a supernatural bent.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Pheonyx
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »

I think, with a new edition, it might get boring to see too much re-hashing of old books. I prefer the idea that there are plug-and-play supplements, sort-of worldbooks that present a different idea.

For example. Maybe one whole supplement that was sort of a psychic agents? Nothing like superheroes in capes (that would be lame), but a government branch that specializes in those with extra traits. Imagine it.
  • Instead of sneaking in a wiretap or a bug, working to sneak in a telepath to pick up what the team needs.
  • Being pinned down, and able to use that psychokinesis to create a distraction or open a door you're pinned in front of.
And et cetera. In the last 2.0 game I ran, I was tying some of these abilities into my main villains, mostly just to give it that "larger than life" feeling. It was also because we all were big fans of Espionage such as Metal Gear Solid, and it added that air of mystery to the campaign to have those main baddies with unpredictable moves. It kept my PCs from planting in cover for entire battles, to say the least.

What you're describing sounds like the SyFy upcoming series Alphas... kind of a Alias meets Heroes thing. Shadowforce Archer had the Psion Formula recipients; perhaps a more natural occurring phenomenon as opposed to chemically induced psionics? That does sound like it'd be a nice portion in an Adventure Companion type book or even a setting writeup in the core book.

Ashes to ashes,
Pheonyx

Official Spycraft Agent #001
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »

I think it would be very cool to see a 1930s-40s book with that perennial evil Nazis. Think of how much pulp fun you could have leading up to WWII!

They are briefly listed in the Stargate game in the main book as having had the Stargate briefly during WWII with the US liberating it. But Nazis are such a great villain and need to grow beyond their supposed hidden base in Brazil in modern times.

Living Spycraft Masterm
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »

The Great War.

RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 05:28:14 PM »

Considering that the one "common" sourcebook of the previous Spycrafts is a military themed rulebook, I'm expecting one for 3.0.  Could call it "Eon of War" or something, and leave links to adapt it to other books including FantasyCraft (roleplay the battle of Mordor!) and 10k Bullets (Counter-Terrorism/SWAT action!).

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
Sketchpad
Recruit

Taking on the Bad Guys Since 1980

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 08:41:57 PM »

I'd like to see modular sourcebooks to add elements to the game ... like a book on cyberware/near-future tech, or a book on psionics.  This would also suit well for new eras of play, like a book on the '60s or maybe a WWII  filter.  On top of that, small PDFs that explore the classes would be pretty cool as well ... like a Soldier PDF that offers new feats, archetypes, and gear.

DT Butchino | Writer, Illustrator, Designer | Sketchpad Studios
DeviantART Portfolio
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 08:44:09 PM »

Been waiting for the 1940s sourcebook since SC1.0 but I'm not upset just eager to pounce on Nazis and beat the shit out of them.

Living Spycraft Masterm
tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

Do it to Julia.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 09:49:13 PM »

There will be a guidebook focusing on a specific aspect of World War II. Details are still being hammered out.

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.

I'd tell an ebola joke here, BUT YOU WON'T GET IT.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: