Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 12:34:30 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  The Just-Declassified Lingo of the NSA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Just-Declassified Lingo of the NSA  (Read 741 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:04:41 PM »

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/02/cryppies-day-ladies-and-whiffling-the-just-declassified-lingo-of-the-nsa/252616/

Following is a selection of definitions you can find in the full document, which was cheekily compiled by David Hatch, chief of the Operational History Division of the Center for Cryptologic History. Though, to be honest, we already whiffled the list to find you the good stuff. […]

Cryppie: shortened form of “cryptanalyst”; used (and taken) by some as affectionate, by others as derogatory — listen carefully for the tone of voice and check to see if the speaker is smiling or not.
Desk Rats: that’s OK, you know who you are.
Diddy Bopping: copying manual Morse transmissions.
Flag Carriers: Agency senior executives, so named because the backdrop for their badge photographs includes an American flag.
Fort Fumble: a not altogether affectionate designation for Fort Meade and the NSA headquarters by those stationed elsewhere.
Ghost: to float among offices while awaiting a permanent position.
Hammered: describes text with a significant number of garbles, misprints, or omissions that render it unreadable or call into question its validity.
Knobbing: the act of searching for target communications by twisting a dial manually on intercent equipment.
Korling: acronym for “Korean lingust,” an occupational specialty. It would look less like a Scottish sport or Canadian beer if spelled with a hyphen.
Sigint City: a term that came into some currency at the end of the 1980s to refer to the complex of NSA buildings on Ft. Meade, a reflection of the number of facilities and the wide area over which they were spread. While catchy in itself, the term inappropriately slights other important aspects of the NSA mission, for example, information security.
U Street U: nickname for the Agency training school overflow building located on U Street in the District of Columbia during the 1950s. In itself, this is a diminutive for the slightly disparaging nickname “U Street University.”
Whiffle: to read rapidly through a stack of traffic to cull out usable items; this term is becoming obsolete as computerization reduces the amount of printed traffic routinely delivered to analysts.

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Don’t believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 04:52:24 AM »

YOINK!   Grin

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.