Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 27, 2014, 05:50:53 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Fantasy Craft] Schools of...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Fantasy Craft] Schools of...  (Read 1197 times)
royalfa
Agent

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2011, 11:03:44 AM »

I vaguely remember reed in a 3e d20 book some schools... School of combat, Disciplines of faith and Magical Traditions...

Finally I stomp with them again in the "Path" books of Legends & Lairs (Fantasy Flight Games)....

As an example I some fragment of one here...

Quote from: Discipline of faith
Black Wood Herbalists
Lesson 1: +2 bonus to Profession (Herbalist)
Lesson 2:  +4 wilderness lore for finding something to eat without risk
Lesson 3:  Once per day double the effects of an Augury spell
Lesson 4: Prereq: Profession(Herbalist) 5+ Ranks. +4 on Heal checks
Lesson 5: You can use your Heal skill to extract poison.

To gain access to this lessons you must, in addition to any requirement the lesson has, check this table:
Lesson
XP
Cost Time
Cost Level Cap
1 100 1 week 1
2 3001 day 2
3 600 2 days 4
4 1,000 3 days 6
5 1,500 4 days 8
6 2,100 1 week 10
7 2,800 1 week, 3 days 12
8 3,600 2 weeks 15
9 4,500 3 weeks 18
10 5,500 1 month20

Well then I think this can be "easily" transform to "RENOWN"....Instead of Exp cost a Reputation cost, and instead a "new ability" only a temporal one for the adventure or some time...

Other consideration is to have the access to a master (in the path books they are traveling scholars or masters) here You need to have the proper RENOWN to gain this access...

I think in two options:
First one
A renown title for each school...(maybe with 20 renown cost for each title instead of 30)

A basic one...

Rank Title
1Black Wood Herbalists Lesson 1
2Black Wood Herbalists Lesson 2
3 Black Wood Herbalists Lesson 3
4Black Wood Herbalists Lesson 4

Or

More specific

Black Wood Herbalists
1Plants Scholar
2 Plants Master
3Tea Reader
4 Herbal Healer
5 Poison Healer

In this case the "master" must know the discipline.

Second One

A "master" table that allows access to the lessons of each school spending more renown (40 each rank) and/or reputation

Disciplines of Faith
1Lesson 1
2 Lesson 2
3Lesson 3
4 Lesson 4
5 Lesson 5

In this case the "master" must know the lessons....

As you can see this is only an idea
What you think about it??
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 01:59:40 PM »

I think I see where you're going with this.

To be honest, the easiest way to deal with this sort of thing would be to include the Black Wood Herbalists, et al, as alternate Renown tracks. The Reputation spent to gain each rank would represent money and time spent learning each of the lessons, and other associated tasks.

You could also then come up with a selection of Favors that have ranks in the new Renown tracks as a requirement, as well as a Feat like the ones found in the AC (Hero of the...).

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
royalfa
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:20:43 PM »

Yes I like the idea to make anew track of renown for each school discipline or tradition...

The only thing I'm not sure is:
You thing a cost Renown 20 (10 less than actual) for each lesson is fine?? This sounds overpowering??

I think about have variable cost per lesson but don't want to complicate.

I think reputation is a valuable "coin" and there is no much gain of it. Almost every time a PC kills some one, makes a good critical (hit or skill) or a cinematic maneuver or break through in the history I reward Rep (1 to 3) for that...almost every time instead of AD...Only when I need AD I grant them lol.

Sometimes, if is a really impressive dead, grant both...

thanks

Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 05:47:22 AM »

I'd keep the rep cost the same as the three basic tracks. If you make it more expensive, your players are less likely to take it; if it's cheaper, they may take it and nothing else.

As for spending rep like coin, that's what the Favors are there for. You spend a fixed amount on getting the renown, then whatever else you like on the benefits that come with it.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
royalfa
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 12:54:48 PM »

What You think about these?

Name   
The Stormweavers tradition

RankLessonRequerimentsBenefits
1The Study of WeatherGain Study(Weather)
2Tricky Knee+2 bonus to Knowledge (predict weather) checks
3Weather DanceYou may cast Control Weather I once per scene
4Adjust the FlowSome wind. 1 Die Wind+2 bonus vs gas attacks and resistance heat 4
5Move WeaterYou may cast Control Weather II once per scene
6Storm FriendYou may design an elemental Ally up to 60XP that can conjure as per conjuer elemental spell  once per scene
7Lightning Strike"Your electrical damage are +2 and you learn a trick
Lightning Strike (melee attack trick): Your melee attacks do Electrical damage."
8Water Armor"Large amount of water.
 2 Die Rain."
"You can create an armor of water that surrond you granting DR 4.
Damage Immunity (Heat; Fire) Achilles heel (Electrical)"
9Book of WeatherChosse only one."You cast spells of the weather discipline at +1 caster level or you can cast Control Weather III once per scene"
10Greater Storm FriendYou may design an elemental Ally up to 100XP that can conjure as per conjure elemental spell  once per scene
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:57:20 PM by royalfa » Logged
royalfa
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 01:10:31 PM »

Nombre   
Black Wood Herbalists Discipline
RankLessonRequerimentsBenefits
1Herbs LoreGain Study(Herbs)
2Edibles and Poison+2 bonus to Knowledge (Plants) checks
3Tea Read   You gain the priest (Signs & Portents I) ability class
4Healing Salves"Herbalist Kit or Access to plants (Forage)"You gain +2 bonus to Medicine checks and Field Medicine
5Improvised Medical Supplies"Herbalist Kit or Access to plants (Forage)"You can make a medical supply with one use and without tools. Time: 1 minute.
6Master HealerOnce per scene you can make a Treatment check for a character as 1 full action and your error range with Medicine decreases in 1 (min 0)
7Potions"Herbalist Kit or Access to plants (Forage)"Choose 3 Elixirs and you can make them as per Alchemy basics without other tools. Time: 10 min
8One with NatureYou can cast Natural Attunement once per scene plus 1 hint about herbs
9Advanced PotionsHerbalist Kit or Access to plants (Forage)Choose 5 Elixirs and you can make them as per Alchemy Mastery (level 3 or less spell) without other tools. Time: 10 min
10Exotic HerbsMasterwork Herbalist Kit or Access to plants (Forage)Choose two Elixir Upgrades. Each Elixir you make have this upgrades without aditional cost/time.

Herbalist Kit: A colection of herbs, plants and mixtures in different pouches    
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:12:56 PM by royalfa » Logged
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 05:56:06 PM »

These are interesting, for my games, I don't like the side XP cost, but the actual progressions and their abilities are very nice and focused, they remind me a great deal of the feat paths from Iron Heroes, it might be worth glancing at if you haven't seen them before. If you're interested, since you mentioned it in the other thread, I could send you a PDF copy of my Renown and Infamy trees, just in case they could inspire some ideas for abilities or schools.

royalfa
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 01:17:40 AM »

Yes Deral sounds great.

my email is roydnd@gmail.com.

This tables are from L&L but I change a bit of things...
royalfa
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 03:44:38 PM »

Only for clarification:

The table with the lessons and the Xp cost is the "original" table in the L&L books.

Her this will translate in a "Reputation/Renown" cost.

Is the issue I was asking about: Have less Rep spend for each level, the same, more...

I was thinking in: 20 Rep if you study in an Academy, 35 rep if you find a private master and 50 rep if you are self researched.

royalfa
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »

I retake this idea and rebuild it.

This are new renown tracks. The reputation spend represents the contacts, studies, training that the character needs to  learn the lesson.

The next table have the amount of reputation needed per lesson and the minimun downtime to learn the lesson.
In the case of "great" downtime" I follow the rules of crafting.

Reputation Cost      
Academy
This is a well and recognized institution for training
If the training is interrupted by any circumstance the lesson is lost and new reputation need to be spend again except for rank 8+ lessons.

Rank 1 to 4 20 Rep
Rank 5 to 7 30 Rep
Rank 8 to 9 40 Rep + 10 for each interruption
Rank 10 50 Rep + 10 for training.

Minimum downtime
Rank 1 1 W
Rank 2 to 4 1 M
Rank 5 to 7 X M where X is the rank of the lesson
Rank 8 to 9 1 Y
Rank 10 continual training

Master  
Is an individual master that can teach the lesson of a particular school
Need 20 additional rep to find it and each time the training is interrupted to resume the training.
Rank 1 30 Rep + 10 for each Week reduction (see below)
Rank 2 to 4 30 Rep + 20 per interruption
Rank 5 to 7 40 Rep + 20 per interruption
Rank 8 to 9 50 Rep + 30 per interruption
Rank    10   60 Rep + 20 for training

Minimum downtime
Rank 1 1 M (Can spend additional Rep to reduce the time up to 1 M)
Rank 2 to 4 1 M
Rank 5 to 7 X M where X is the rank of the lesson
Rank 8 to 9 1 Y
Rank 10 continual training

Research
This represents the self study of the lessons, reputation is for acquire the needed knowledge of the lessons and for training to master each rank.
Rank 1 to 4 40 rep
Rank 5 to 7 50 rep
Rank 8 to 9 60 rep + 30 per interruption
Cant research rank 10 only special conditions apply (DM judgment)

Rank 1 2 M
Rank 2 to 4 2 M
Rank 5 to 7 2X M where X is the rank of the lesson
Rank 8 to 9 1 2Y

You can use the Investigate/research skill to try to reduce the amount of time for each lesson as per training with a master. With a critical success you reduce the time as per Academy. With a critical failure you don't reduce any time and can't research again for this lesson.

The "carcass" of the schools:

rank Grants
1  Study
2  Action I
3  Feat Basic
4  Advance Action I
5  Action II
6  Feat Mastery
7  Advance Action II
8  Basic Ability
9  Feat Supremacy
10 Exceptional Ability