Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 03:47:58 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Fiction and Story Hour
| | |-+  Five Adventurers Walk into a Bar
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Five Adventurers Walk into a Bar  (Read 3906 times)
ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2011, 07:41:49 PM »

... and the bartender says "Aw, crap!"

It's time for a new series of table antics and heroic hyjinks brought to you by the long time player, sometimes GM, Arawn Nox.
This week we introduce our cast of misfits young heroes for what will undoubtabley be a test of my patience fun time for all.

(The players still have yet to totally finish their characters, so this'll be mostly vague)

Bo: The resident plot-breaker will be playing a Goblin Musketeer (modified) Assassin. A serious monster-hunter who hides his true intentions behind a facade of abnoxious behavior and kleptomaniacle tendencies.

Shannon: My other roommate will be giving some of my custom world creations a spin, playing an Elf War-Caste Mage with aims for becoming a Rune Knight.

'Stache Ross: The man of the epic moustache will be playing an Unpredictable Human Wizard Mage. He'd like to be a "Portal Mage", but lacking any direct class to facilitate his desire, I've had him focus on a spell list that emphasizes the image he wants for the mage.

J.R.: This new person to the system has decided that the path for him is the way of the Wiley Human Archer Scout. His focus into the use of a bow has me scared for the poor groups of Standard NPCs he'll have no problem mowing down.

Trotsky: Yes, that is his real name. Desiring to make me live up to my assertions that FC can facilitate a wide range of character concepts, he has decided to play something between a cowboy and an anime knife thrower: A Grizzled Human Criminal Burglar.

Stay tuned for next week when we'll have actual names for these characters and we'll see if they can keep from angering the townsfolk long enough to actually follow the adventure hooks. Smiley

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.
"A great GM knows how to make sure everyone has fun, and great players know the same." --Patrick Kapera
Arawn's Art: http://arawnnox.deviantart.com
ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:18:46 PM »

Surprisingly, I didn't have to resort to them meeting a tavern.
One player was out with school responsibilities.
This week, we have...

Bo: Playing Trixus von Stealum, Goblin Assassin (or thief as he calls himself) and member of a monster hunting organization known as The Silent Hunters.

Shannon: Playing Lil'arran sa'ven Celonhael Spell Breaker (of note, "sa'ven" means "daughter of") she is an Elf War-Caste Mage on a personal quest to earn her deed-name.

J.R.: Playing Akir the Human Scout from far and away, earning a living by hunting and trapping in the city.

Ross (Now with no 'stache): Playing Van Masterson aspiring Human Mage, specializing in portal magic, who ended up somewhere he didn't plan on being.

As our story begins, the protagonists are either arriving in or are already in Evergreen. Once nothing more than a frontier expansion town, the discovery of gold in the hills and mountains surrounding the town led to a massive economic boom as serfs petitioned their lords to move to the town and earn a wage mining the precious metal. The town exploded overnight, businesses and hotels and brothels and all manner of industry flowed into the town.
The town's meager constabulary was unprepared for the influx of people and is overworked, trying to maintain order. The Constable has taken to offering rewards for freelancers to help keep the peace or investigate where he's unable to send his men.

Lil'arran happened across the town in her travels, it being the first one she's encountered since crossing into the human nation of Nalradia. Upon reaching the town, she took it upon herself to look in on the Constable and see if she may be of assistance. Meanwhile, the mage, Van Masterson, found himself transported to Evergreen through a portal he was testing. No stranger to such spell misfires, he headed to the constable to find out where he is. Akir was already living around Evergreen and headed to the Constable to check on available jobs. Trixus, who had been staying in Evergreen as well, found himself deposited outside the constabulary after having spent the night in the drunk tank, and also fined for public intoxication.

(GM's Note: I did not send any of them to the constable, only Bo started there, the rest headed there on their own)

Upset at the loss of what remained of the prior night's gambling winnings, Trixus marched back inside the constabulary and proceeded to angrily yell at the Constable about his money being "stolen". As the two bickered, Trixus attempted to lift the Constable's keys from his belt... and while he made an impressive attempt, the Constable noticed the goblin's shifty fingers and batted him away. Vowing that he hasn't heard the last from him, Trixus walked from the constabulary and into the two mages who were waiting on the doorstep.

Lil'arren stepped around the goblin and headed inside. Akir walked up and called out to the goblin, "Hey, short guy..." about to ask him a question.
"Did you call me "short"?" asked Trixus.
Another height pun was made at Trixus' expense by Van. (I forget what).
"Your comments are not above my head!" Trixus snipped at Van.
"No, but our mouths are." Van snarked.
Incensed, Trixus lifted Van's spell pouch from his belt and proceeded away from the pair of humans.

Once inside the constabulary, Lil'arran, now joined by Van and Akir, asked the constable if he needed any help. Just before he could refuse, another man entered.
"Dammit, Tomas, what the hell?" this new man said, "I've got two missing men and you still haven't sent anyone!"
"Sorry, Jones..." the Tomas, the Constable said, "But I don't have the available men...." his eyes fell to the three infront of him, "Say, could you three investigate?"
They were more than willing to help.
Jones explained to them that two nights ago, two of his men never returned from the logging site at sundown. He led the three adventurers to the Sawmill which was located outside of town to the west along the river.

Meanwhile Trixus (while in character, but also avoiding the plot) proceeded to the town's possible snake-oil merchant, Larethalan la'ven Vela'theron. This elf perported to be a seller of magic charms and elixers. Trixus attempted to sell the pouch of odd items to the elf, but, recognizing it for what it is, refused to buy, lest he incur the wrath of an angry mage. Annoyed, Trixus then added some nails and broken glass to the pouch to make it sound like a bag of coins. He got into a card game and one himself a nice nugget of gold by playing a major bluff and making the first hand "all in". While pulling off a bluff he didn't intend to succeed at, Trixus overheard some men talking about the disappearance of a couple of logging workers.
Trixus decided this required looking into.

At the Sawmill, the workers there couldn't provide much help. Heading further upstream to the logging site, the group interviewed the site manager. He explained that the workers were scouting for trees to chop down and pointed them in the direction they needed to go. Heading further northwest, Akir easily picked up the trail of the workers. Before too long they came across an area filled with wolf tracks and the signs of struggle. Akir poked around a bit more and discovered the tracks of a large humanoid... several large humanoids, his instincts telling him that they could be ogres.

They followed the trail left by the ogres and were soon set upon by a large pack of wolves, all wearing collars, their arrival accompanied by the bellow of a hunting horn. The wolves charged at the group, Akir felling several with his bow before they closed the distance. Lil'arran made a clever move and felled several wolves with a blast of Polar Ray. As battle was joined with the wolves, their master joined the fray soon after.

A large ogre charged the group, Van took two of his arrows and lept at the ogre, driving them into the ogre's exposed flesh. In retaliation, the ogre nearly flattened the mage, knocking over with a powerful blow from his two handed club. Things were starting to look grim as the remaining wolves flanked and harassed Lil'arran and Akir did battle with one stubborn animal that refused to go down.

Suddenly, a short, blue goblin joined the fray, taking the ogre by surprise and sinking a throwing dagger deep into the ogre's flesh. Roaring in anger, the Ogre turned his attention on Trixus and swatted him with his club, injuring the goblin. Akir finally killed the remaining wold and Lil'arran killed another, striking the ogre with a powerful blast of Polar Ray at the same time, fatiguing hm. Trixus gave himself some breathing room, backing up, then followed up his earlier attack by planting another dagger right in the ogre's skull.

The group claimed their prizes, but what intrigued Trixus was the presence of a scrap of cloth emblazoned with the emblem of the Night-Biter Tribe, a war-driven tribe of orcs that live in the region. Proper introductions were made and the group returned to Evergreen, warning the constable and claiming their reward. Trophies were sold and the money divvied up.

Session End

Not a bad start, the players had fun. The players are still learning the system. I wish I had a recorder or something, because the comments at the begining of the session were pretty priceless.

Barring unforeseen circumstances, tune in next week for a new installment!

"A great GM knows how to make sure everyone has fun, and great players know the same." --Patrick Kapera
ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:24:48 AM »

Short session this week. Bo was on the other side of town dealing with his SO's car troubles.
Things were a bit sloppy and I wasn't feeling so good, but the gang had fun.

This week it's

Shannon as Lil'arren
Ross as Van
J.R. as Akir
and
Trotsky as Castieal, former witch hunter now trying to hang up his daggers.

Session Begins.

The trio of ogre slayers began to hang around with each other, following their excursion into the woods. The goblin headed off all by his lonesome to deal with matters that only he knew of (something that will be expanded upon next week, barring cancellation). The trio, a couple of days later, found themselves walking past one of the more notable burlesque houses in Evergreen: The Golden Stones. Passing along the area as well was the grizzled human Castieal.

The group was collectively witness to a man named "Slick James" getting tossed from the Golden Stones by a purturbed female half-orc bouncer. The establishment's owner stepped out and told James he was no longer welcome, who threatened to get even with them. As insults were exchanged, Castieal walked up to James and punched him in the face. This caused the other three to stop and watch as Castieal gave James a stern talking to (which caused a lot of snikkering at the table).

James was run off while the group talked to the owner, asking if he could make due on his threats. In return for helping keep the place safe, she'll provide them with free lodgings (as the place also doubles as a hotel). The next evening, a small group of men from James' gang arrived and began causing a ruckus. They didn't get too far as Castieal socked one in the face with a tin mug and Akir struck another in the knee with his machete. Driven off with a firm scolding (Once again, from Castieal), the place seemed secure.

However, later in the evening, the sound of horses brought Castieal and Lil'arren out front to see James and his men, returned and with firebombs ready. Before the mages could begin to douse the flames with spells, the men on horseback took off around the building. Castieal charged a group of James' men who were on foot, but failed to knock over the one he was aimed at. Lil'arren moved into a good spot and fired off polar ray. Van, defying all conventional logic, leaped from a window onto one of the horses and began wrestling with the rider.

Akir took up a vantage point at a window and shot a rider from his horse, then took out another one, very easily. Castieal battled the ever surrounding group of men, while Lil'arren slashed away with her glaive. The real treat of combat, however, was Van tossing the rider from his horse, riding to another, then leaping from his horse and knocking it's rider to the ground (all with untrained checks, I might add.)

Shortly therafter, James and his group of bandits were defeated, the group having earned a place to stay, some fine loot, and some free horses.

Session End

Like I said, very short and I wasn't feeling all that great. Ross has really taken the "AD for crazy stuff" thing and run with it.
Tune in next week as we delve a bit more into the larger scope of events (as I need to do some better storytelling).

ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:35:52 PM »

Tonight was a lot of fun! Full group and lots of roleplaying.

Shannon as Lil'arren (or "Arren" as she's begun going by).
Ross as Van
J.R. as Akir
Trotsky as Castieal (Who's background I was misinformed on, he's an old soldier who's unfortunately been on the loosing side of several wars).
and
Bo as Trixus

The session begins with a large town meeting in the central square. Sir John Bordel, the Lord Mayor, is giving an address. He is a young man, with slicked back black hair. Recent years have not been kind to his physique, a significant paunch having formed on his belly. He addresses the growing crowd, laying to rest rumors of ogres in the woods, that the situation had been delt with. He also went on to commend the bravery of some unknown citizens who defended the Golden Stones brothel, but warned that ordinary citizens should not take the law into their own hands. Of course, there was some grumbling in the audience over the matter, as well as Constable Merryweather shaking his head. However, Sir John shocked the crowd by welcoming a delegation of orcs onto the stage, claiming they were there to have a peace talk and discuss trade.

Following accusations from the preacher that he'd gone mad, the lead orc, calling himself Dalrok, requested that the Lord Mayor recognize the heroes who defended the town. Sir John called out for them to come forward and be recognized. Lil'arren, Van, and Castieal stepped onto the stage, Akir having none of that idea, same with Trixus. As Sir John thanked the three, Dalrok stared each of them down in turn, then put on pleasant face and commended their bravery. A shout from a tavern owner that the trio would get free beer at his tavern prompted a cheer from the crowd, which drowned out Trixus' shouts that he was a hero, too.

The meeting over, the crowd went on their way. Lil'arren stopped Sir John to speak with him about her errantry and how she could help. He gave her a pleasant, "If I need anything, I'll be sure to let you know." and he headed off with his guards and the three orcs. She and the others decided to head to the tavern and indulge in their free beers. Akir, meanwhile, kept an eye on where the orcs and lord mayor were headed.

At "Cook's Pot" owned by Luke Cook, the three "heroes" sat down at the bar and had their beer. Luke engaged them in simple conversation, asking their names and where they were from. Before the conversation could get too deep, Trixus made his entrance... or at least made the others realize he was there, by pushing up a stool and hopping up on it. He began to pester the others about their antics, and how Dalrok seemed to be sizing each of them up for a fight. Trixus, well aware of who the orc really was (because of a good knowledge check and his predisposition to dealing with monsters) revealed who Dalrok really was: Galrok Bloodspiller, one of the most notorious raiders from the Night-Biter tribe.

((I honestly can't remember everything that followed here, there was a lot of IC banter, most of it hilarious. Van got his money purse stolen by Trixus for making fun of Trixus' height, again. He got it back in short order, but it was still a lot of hilarity.))

Deciding he'd had enough of the belligerant goblin, Castieal got up from the bar and joined Akir at a table, who had previously entered and deliberatly avoided Trixus. The two got to talking and decided to check in on the orcs and the lord mayor, and left the tavern.

They wandered down to the mayor's mansion and hung around outside, across the street. It wasn't long before the orcs exited the mansion, their weapons coated with blood. They proceeded, unperturbed, around the building. Akir and Castieal ran into the mayor's home to find Sir John and his two guards, totally slaughtered. They decided to sit there and wait for the constabulary to show up... instead one of the household servants showed up. She took one look at the two men and the bodies, dropped her tray of tea and ran from the house screaming.

Constable Merryweather and his men showed up not long after, swords drawn. Akir and Castieal attempted to defend themselves, verbally, that the orcs killed the mayor. None the less, there was witness testimony that placed them there at the scene, so Merryweather had them arrested, their hands were bound and they were sat down outside, while they waited for the investigation.

Meanwhile, a townsperson burst into Cook's Pot, crying out: "The mayor's been killed, one of the heroes done it!" So, Trixus, Arren and Van headed for the mansion. They found a large crowd already gathering. As Van and Arren attempted to find out what was going on, Trixus strode confidently into the house and spoke to Merryweather. He showed the man some papers, which declaired his authority. He got Castieal and Akir released. After some discussion, the whole group took off after the orcs.

They followed the orc's trail to an abandoned camp just inside the treeline near town. They found a standard with the Night-Biter symbol on it, which Trixus confirmed, having kept the cloth he found on the ogre. In fact, he elaborated that he found the rest of the ogres the group neglected to deal with, killed by orcish weapons, with similar peices of cloth on them. (This was what we agreed he'd been up to while he was gone). As they searched some more, Arren found a scrap of parchment inside the standard, a proclimation from Galrok. He declaired his intent to destroy Evergreen and that he would see them on the battlefield.

The group split up, Akir and Trixus following the rest of the trail, while the others headed back to town. Arren, Castiel, and Van contacted Merryweather, now the acting mayor, as he was sending a message to the nearest town, appraising them of the situation. He was shown the parchment they found and knew help would not reach them in time. So, with their help, people were gathered and warned. Refugees efforts were organized, people recruited for defense, and materials gathered.

Meanwhile, Akir and Trixus snuck to the edge of a ridgeline and peered down at a disturbingly large camp of orcs, less than a day's ride from Evergeen. Trixus disguised himself by making himself look more primative in dress, using scraps of material from the standard they had aquired earlier. He snuck into the camp and acted as if he was just another goblin servant. He overheard plans for the attack's timetable, then layed low until evening and snuck into Galrok's command tent and found a map with the plan of attack. Mission accomplished, he headed back to Akir and they rode back to Evergreen, covering their trail.

Thus this session ends.

No game next week, 3 of our members will be at PAX. But I will provide a treat from one of my players at that time. Smiley

ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:47:39 PM »

Pretty simple and short session tonight.
It was all planning for next session and not much else, so I'll just hit the cliff notes.

The group (minus Trotsky, who was out due to school work) sat down with the acting Mayor: Tomas Merryweather to hash out the defense plans for when the orcs finally attack.

They gathered as much tar and pitch from the gold foundry as they could, as well as lumber from the logging camp. Akir selected six of their available fighters (and that was all they could gather for bows and arrows) to give archery training to. The mages, Van and Lil'arren, used their simple Create Water spells to prepare emergency fire-fighting supplies as well as muddy up the fields outside town which were tilled up by heavy carts pulled by oxen. The buildings on the exterior were boarded up to prevent the orcs from cutting through the buildings on their way through town.

Then, at certain points along the main roads, tiger traps were dug: pits with wooden spikes. The inns and taverns were raided (figuratively speaking) for their alcohol for making molotovs and liquid courage. Having determined the route that the war leader, Galrok, would be taking, they dug a pit and filled it with tar, ready to be burned from above. In the event that they should still loose the town, the group rigged the bridge leading out of town to burn as they make their escape.

It was determined that the training of their motley group of defenders would be left to the Grizzled ex-soldier (Trotsky).

The final pre-battle moments would be taken up with Van giving an Encouraging Speech to the troops (I'm letting him use Encouragement on the townsfolk for dramatic effect) and Lil'arren casting Bless on the team (and allies).

Next week, the climatic battle with the Night-Biter Orcs.

ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:11:36 PM »

Holy Crap was tonight a long night of combat. To save me from typing, I'm going to copy and paste my narrative segments then hit on how the battles went.

Once again we are joined by:
Shannon as Lil'arren
Ross as Van
J.R. as Akir
Trotsky as Castieal
and
Bo as Trixus

Scene 1: The Dawn of Battle

For three days straight you prepare for the onslaught of the Orcs. The foundry is shut down, its tar and pitch gathered to create a large burning pit-trap and firebombs. As much lumber as possible was gathered and barricades were erected to funnel the Orcs' movements through the narrow alleyways and keep them from worming their way through buildings. A small team of archers is given training by Akir, their marksmanship improving by an impressive margin in the three short days, but time had to be sacrificed to they could fashion more arrows. The townsfolk that were recruited were also put through drills several times a day by Castiel, they aren't expert fighters by any stretch of the imagination, but they carry themselves with a more confident air. Lil'arren and Van fill dozens of barrels with water that are placed throughout the town to act as emergency fire fighting supplies, should any of the fire-traps get out of hand. Carts are loaded down with heavy burdens and marched around the fields outside town, pulled by oxen. This loosens up the ground enough to create a muddy ground the Orcs will need to cross, not as tilled up as it could have been if a plow was available, but food is imported to the town, not grown locally. Trixus lays an ambush for Karn's arrival, hoping the Orc lieutennant is too focused on the attack to notice. As a last resort, the bridge outside of town has been prepped with barrels of pitch to burn away the bridge, should the battle go poorly.

You've prepped all you can. The refugees have been sent away and you've gotten a rough night of sleep. On the morning of the fourth day, you hear the sounds of an approaching army. Metal on metal, feet stomping the ground, horses neighing. Before everyone takes their places, Lil'arren casts her blessing on you and the assembled townsfolk as Van gives an encouraging speech, lifting the townsfolks' wavering spirits. You then divide up and take your positions as the Orcs form up into their attack groups. It seems each leiutennant has about 25 warriors while Galrock keeps the bulk of the army with him.
   After a long, tense hour of waiting, the sun now well into the sky, several horns sound, which are answered by several more. A war cry that is heard clear across the plain is heard and the three divisions of orcs charge the town.

The mudfields do little to stop the mounted orcs, which reach the town first, but it does slow down the orcs on foot, especially the ones in heavier armor. Once the orcs reach the town they find themselves forced to weave through the narrow streets, many of the mounted orcs getting off their horses in frustration. As they move, they stumble into the tiger traps, killing several of them and tripping up those behind them. This allows small teams of townsfolk to leap in and slaughter the orcs before they are prepared for a fight. The townsfolk fight valiantly, killing several of the orcs, either halting their advance due to the piles of corpses, or eventually being overrun.
   The sounds of battle fill the streets, the din is so loud it makes it tough to hear anything. Plumes of smoke start to rise from the streets as fire-traps are set off and burning liquor bottles are thrown on to unsusupecting groups of orcs. The sudden organized resistance and the presence of traps has sown confusion and discord amongst the ranks of the Orc Raiders. Your preperations have given you a fighting chance.

Scene 2a: Karn Greatcleaver

You are joined by three townsfolk in your ambush location. You wait with ever growing anxiety, wondering if maybe the orcs have managed to bypass your location. Just as it seems like the trap may have been for nothing, a group of orcs emerge from an alley, successfully funneled into the open street. The orcs march down the street, unaware of you all. You are forced to pull back one of the townsfolk who is getting over eager to attack.
   You bide your time. Soon, a smaller group of orcs follows the first, and trailing just behind them is your target: Karn Greatcleaver. The huge orc strides confidently alone, his sword already coated with blood, having bested some of the townsfolk, earlier. You wait until he passes your location. Then you attack.

Battle Results
Karn's health was torn through pretty effectively by Trixus, while Van had trouble bringing his spells to bear. A critical failure had him cast Jump on himself instead of Shield, which he at least made use of by leaping to the top of one of the buildings that Trixus was sniping from. The townsfolk were killed when they engaged Karn and his orcs, but, through sheer tenacity, the pair brought the big orc down and sent his troops fleeing.

Scene 2b: Gorash Trueshot

You and the six archers lay in wait ontop of single story buildings lining the street. A large group of orcs, made up of a mix of archers and footmen charge into the open area. You give the signal and leap from cover, raining arrows down upon the unsuspecting heads of the orcs.

Battle Results
Akir and his team of archers made pin cushions out of the sixteen orcs down in the street. Gorash flanked them, appearing ontop of the same building in the second round and picking off one of the archers. Akir's new eagle inflicted a bleeding wound on Gorash that helped whittle down his health until a volley from the other archers finally brought him down.

Scene 2c: Galrok Bloodspiller

You are joined by a pair of deputies as you stand your ground behind a line of lumber pikes. A group of mounted orcs charges you, their hooves thundering over the ground. They draw near and you all lift the pikes together, spearing the horses and knocking the horsemen to the ground. You quickly finish them off as a second charge of footmen bear down on you. Before they reach you, the townsfolk on the roofs spring into action.
   Firebombs and molotovs are hurled onto the orcs and into the hidden tar-pit. The orcs are immolated, leaving only a handful of burned survivors, a large group of orcs fall into the pit, getting stuck and burning as the flames engulf them and the lines of orcs behind them. You don't have long to celebrate before a distinctive, large orc leaps through the flames, his armor singed and looking pissed off.
   Galrok roars at you, galvanizing the few survivors of your fire-trap in to action. You must now contend with the leader of the orcs and his followers.

Battle Results
Lil'arren began the battle by taking out several of the orcs with a Polar Ray blast and Castiael, in a bold move, disarmed Galrok and claimed the orc leader's scimitar as his own. As the fires intensified around them, Galrok now no where near as dangerous, got into a slug fest with Castieal, with Lil'arren providing magic support that was momentarily crippled by loosing her spell points from a critical failure. The battle was going slowly until an activated critical failure stunned the big orc and the deputies (the helpers I had the PCs direct) grabbed the orc and pushed him into the fire that had intensified to over 27 points of damage, stripping what was left of his vitality. Then Castiael and Lil'arren jammed their weapons into the thrashing orc, finishing him off.

Scene 3a: Victory

The remaining orcs flee into the forest, their leaders slain and their moral broken. Before you can celebrate, you have to finish off the wounded orcs, see to the surviving townsfolk, and put out the fires, which takes the better part of the rest of the day. You're sore, aching, and your wounds need tending to. Even then, as night falls, you still don't get to rest, as you maintain vigilance for a counter attack.
   Two days pass, during that time minor repairs are made, traps are cleared. Mounds of orc corpses are burned outside of town, claimed banners are burned, heads are put on spears as warning and constant watch is kept.
   On the third day, Akir and Trixus (or the best surviving scout) go back into the forest to scout out the orc's location. Two days of following tracks leads you to an orc settlement. Inspection reveales the wooden fort to be abandoned, the loss of their main raider force has forced the tribe to leave, their tracks leading further north.
   You return to Evergreen to share the news. The survivors celebrate, drinking up what liquor is left and messages are sent to the refugees, who return to the town another day later. You are lauded as the town's heroes, praise and gifts are bestowed upon you. The new Lord Mayor, a man in his 30s named Baron Edward de Clavell. He bestows the title of “Defender of Evergreen” on each of you and grants you each a boon of your choice that is within his power to give.

Post Script
The players decided to hang on to their favor.
Now, her deed name gained, Lil'arren would need to return to her home city of Rey'lian, her companions would come with her to vouch for her story.

Next Week: The Journey Begins.

ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 09:11:32 PM »

Just got a message from 3 of my players who are going to be busy and unable to attend tomorrow, so game is canceled this week.

While I'm here, however, I want to know from those who have been reading, what do they think of things, so far?

vardeman
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 07:18:01 AM »

I'm enjoying the read.  Good Stuff!

V
ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 09:08:14 PM »

Nothing to talk about this week.

Gang was a bit late and the whole of the session was spent on helping the players spend their reputation points and accumulated rewards on gear and equipment.

Though they bought an upgrades stagecoach and named it "Cerberus". >.>

ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 04:23:32 PM »

Sadly, no game this week. Players sick/busy/out of town.

ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 09:31:24 PM »

At long last, another update.
Came back from a funeral the week before, then was sick last week. So, finally, this week we got around to gaming.

Full party, you should know them by now.

So, the group traveled along the Northern Highway heading through several of Nalradia's cities, picking up equipment as they traveled. As they neared the city of Trifalis, they were ambushed by a group of orcs, led by Toke-Rah, an orc from the Night-Biters, seeking revenge. His allies were easily swept aside by the party and he was forced to flee.

That dealt with, the group continued on to Trifalis, a city located ontop of a cliff overlooking a large fjord, with a massive stone bridge connecting the sides of the fjord. They were stopped at the city gates and questioned by the guard. Once Trixus showed his papers, the group was let in. Before they could really question him, Trixus had the group accompany him to the guild house of the Silent Hunters. The Order is a monster-hunting organization dedicated to defending the commoners (how Trixus became a member is a story that has not yet been told.).

Sentinel Karras Katan, the head of the branch in Trifalis greeted Trixus and the group and inquired about the events of Evergreen. Once he got their side of the story, Karas spoke to Trixus alone and asked about his companions. After some conversation, the rest of the group was let back in and Karas invited Akir and Castieal to join the Order. Their test was to aid in slaying a beast that had attacked a merchant vessel traveling down the river.

After some research and a lot of debate (with plans ranging from poisoning bait animals to hiring vessels loaded with people as bait to covering the forest in blood as bait) the party finally settled on setting an ambush outside it's lair with Castiel acting as a decoy.

The monster, revealed to be a Behir (large, dozen-legged serpent), charged out at Castiel, determined to chase them from its territory. As it engaged the grizzled man, the group sprung their ambush. Surrounded, the beast was dealt very painful blows from Trixus' poisoned throwing knife, as well as a barrage of Magic Missiles from Lil'arren. During the battle, the Behir sunk it's teeth deep into Castiel's flesh and swallowed the man whole (crit+upgraded bite+massive athletics bonus). However, Lil'arren's glave cut deep into the Behir, spilling it's guts and depositing Castiel onto the ground.

The beast slain, the group headed for town.

(end session)

ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 12:44:33 PM »

No game this week, players unavailable and I was deprived my weekend planning day with helping film a documentary for a local band. Next week will be dicey as to player availability, so we'll see.

ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 08:58:15 PM »

Game is canceled for now. I'm getting burnt out on GMing and Ross has offered to run Rogue Trader, which will be a lot of fun. Smiley

Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »

Then will we see a thread: Five Adventurers Walk onto the Bridge of a Starship?

Gregory the Golden Dragon
-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »

Then will we see a thread: Five Adventurers Walk onto the Bridge of a Starship?

And are then all condemned as mutants and heretics and xeno-lovers and burned alive by the Inquisition. Wink

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: