Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2014, 07:11:14 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Raiding FFG's "Way of the Sword" - Cloak Fighting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raiding FFG's "Way of the Sword" - Cloak Fighting  (Read 1952 times)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2011, 06:37:01 PM »

I recently discovered a used bookstore in my area with a delightfully well stocked RPG section. Two trips, $170, and a whole lot of chortling later and I've got a couple new books I'm prowling through. FFG's d20 stuff often tries to use the toolset creatively, and has a nice spirit of focusing on cool over raw power in most cases, making their stuff some of the better third party publisher matterial to draw inspiration from. Its rife with +X to Y, but it occasionally does something neat.

Cracking open Way of the Sword, You immediately wander into a cloud of prestige classes. Now, a Class of cloaked warriors who one day think their gonna mount an assault of the Drow is a little specific for my tastes, but mechanically it was pretty lively (a clear fighter-alternate with a shtick instead of feats). If I were playing D&D I'd be willing to play the class (which is high praise, tragically). So I thought I'd throw it in the boiler and see if I could make a nice class reduction sauce out of it. As a 10 level class the ability to shape shift into a cloaker was flavorful and even appropriate. As a 3 feat chain I'm focusing on the more martial aspects of the class. Perhaps as a master class for Fantasycraft...

I'll come back with weapon stats for the blade-cloak when I've gotten a little farther into the book.

MELEE COMBAT FEATS
Cloak-Brother Basics
The Brotherhood of the Cloak has taught you the use of their favorite weapon…
Benefit: While wearing a cloak you gain a +2 gear bonus to feint, hide, and stash checks. While wearing a blade-cloak or weighted cloak you also gain thick hide 2.

Cloak-Brother Mastery
Your practice with the bladed cloak has revealed its more elegant tricks.
Benefit: Your gear bonuses and thick hide from Cloak-Brother Basics increase to 3 each. While wearing a cloak, once per round as a free action you may attempt to disarm an adjacent opponent after they have missed you with an attack.

Cloak-Brother Supremacy
The Brotherhood has lofty goals, but you can find a more immediate use for their skills…
Benefit: Your gear bonuses and thick hide from Cloak-Brother Basics increase to 4 each. You also gain a trick.
Swirling Shadows (Cloak Anticipate Trick): Until your initiative count next round, if the target attacks you they must roll an additional die for each attack check and discard the highest result.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 07:47:59 AM by Morgenstern » Logged

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »

The numerical values of your Cloak-Brother Basics feat rise to [blah].

Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »

Looks interesting, and a fairly straightforward way to play The Cape too.

It is amusing how many 3/3.5 PrC's boil down to simple feat chains.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 07:03:51 PM »

I saw about the last 60% of the Cape's pilot episode. I was planing on giving the blade-cloak reach 1 in honor of some of the stunts in that show. I liked the class because it had a stealth component to what was otherwise a fighter-replacement. That brought the Cape to mind imediately Smiley.

If I follow up with a master class, I'll probably bump the reach up even further (*fwip!*). The class actually had some intersting bits left over after pulling out the stuff that when into the feat chain - like I said, an unussually creative 3.5 class. Hopefully the rest of the book will prove similarly rich.

I'm now thinking that the blade-cloak could be classified as a whip, which would let the whip feat chain address quite a few of the other tricks a Cape-inspired character would want.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:09:18 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 07:54:58 PM »

I'm now thinking that the blade-cloak could be classified as a whip, which would let the whip feat chain address quite a few of the other tricks a Cape-inspired character would want.

If not at the default you could work it into your feat chain.

The Cape actually had me pondering a new magic item - X also counts as Y for the purposes of character options [but more carefully worded].  You can't use any old cape as a whip, but you can use The Cape as a whip style of job.  Perhaps just a quasi-prize upgrade?  Just a shame I can't watch anything past the first 2 eps, because they were fantastic.
ahzad
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 08:41:06 PM »

The cloak fighter has been a dream of mine ever since reading the Shattered World by Michael Reaves as a kid. In the book there is a cloak-fighter name Kan Konar who just captured my imagination, who does some cool stuff with his cloak, including rolling himself up into a ball to avoid the breath of a basilisk. The Cape has pulled that back out of the recesses of my brain to start maybe fooling around with it again. Glad to see Morg giving it a crack  Grin

A short descriptive piece about the cloakfighters from the Shattered World by Michael Reaves.

"A cloakfighter," Tahrynyar murmured in admiration. "I once saw two fight in Quy. They are supreme among warriors; it is said that one can defeat five soldiers armed at all points."
Ardatha raised an eyebrow. "This I find hard to believe."
"Watch him. There - note the curl of wood shaved from the pole by the passage of his cloak? There are many sharp slivers of bone or ivory set in the hems. He can strike with the weighted corners, or use it like a whip. The material is woven from unicorns' manes, so they say, and treated with certain herbs; it is marvelously supple, and yet strong enough to turn a thrown dagger. In some cases the inner lining contains panels of phoenix feather, which can reflect the sun and blind an opponent. See those circular movements? Thus he shields himself, and confuses an opponent. The cloak can also be thrown like a net, or used to trip---"
Ardatha held up a her human hand. "I am convinced, marquis," she said dryly.
"And I haven't yet mentioned the uses of the clasp chain."
As though cued by this, the cloakfighter whipped the silver chain from about the high collar- which, Ardatha noticed, rose in curved spikes that protected the face- and, grasping the morese, snapped the linked silver about the post as though a neck. Then, his practice form evidently completed, he readjusted the deadly garment about his shoulders.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 08:51:16 PM »

Well, yes. That would describe a Prize blade-coak rather than a simple off the rack death-garment Wink.

The trick on the supremacy should deliver most of the defensive oomph people are looking for. The thick hide lets the cloak substitute for light armor (and remember, thick hide is valid for the armor B/M/S chain, so your cloak-fighter could be tough).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 08:54:09 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

ahzad
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »

it's what you aspire to eventually own  Grin and definitely the right thing to put in the book to ignite the imagination of a, let see how old was I then, 14 year old kid into D&D.

i like the thick hide to represent armor qualities of the cloak, and the whip chain really seems to fit nicely.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein
Black_Irish
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 04:31:45 AM »

This sent my mind to running a bit to create something a little more open for every setting and character.  Many of the ideas are based on actual descriptions of sword and cloak techniques with a bit of kung-fu movie flavor thrown in.  They are very much in draft form, but I may not have time to do much more work on them for a while so I thought I would post them here to see what everyone thought and give them up for edits and suggestions.

Covert Feats
Cloak and Dagger Basics
Benefit: While wearing a cloak the character receives a +2 gear bonus to conceal action, stash, and stealth checks as well as with feint actions and also gains the benefit of thick hide 1.

Cloak and Dagger Mastery
Prerequisites: Cloak and Dagger Basics
Benefit: The gear bonuses for wearing a cloak increase to +3.  Additionally the character may handle a cloak as if it were a garrote.

Cloak and Dagger Supremacy
Prerequisites: Cloak and Dagger Mastery
Benefit: The gear bonuses for wearing a cloak increase to +4 and the thick hide benefit increases to 2.

Unarmed Combat Feats
(Cloak Fighting) Basics
Prerequisites: Unarmed Forte
Benefit: The character may handle a cloak, sash or similar garment to gain the guard +1, lure, and trip qualities while unarmed as well as the ability to tire and trip within reach. The garment is considered to have the grip quality against disarm attempts.

(Cloak Fighting) Mastery
Prerequisites: (Cloak Fighting) Basics
Benefit: The character may perform whip and flail tricks while handling a cloak or similar garment as well as gaining the hook quality. (Additional ?)

(Cloak Fighting) Supremacy
Prerequisites: (Cloak Fighting) Mastery
Benefit: The handled garment gains the hurl quality. (Also gains a trick that blinds the opponent.)

Notes: the idea is that an "armed" cloak doesn't become a weapon proper, but an extension of an unarmed maneuver. The final idea of a blinding attack is basically from throwing the cloak over the opponent's eyes- which is an established and recorded technique.

Again, I know a lot needs to be done to them. That is why I am putting them up here now: to see what others might see. And let them possibly finish them off.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:34:06 AM by Black_Irish » Logged
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 07:43:22 AM »

I can probably shift the feat around to let some of the bonuses apply while wearing any cloak. Let me look over the prestidigitation checks- including one or the other of them might not tip the feat chain over into too good. I suspect I'll ahve to stat a weighted cloak and a blade-cloak seperately and tweek the feats to match. I expected the blade cloak to include guard 1 already, so it's not critical to have a feat that adds it. Lure and trip are certainly interesting. Will fiddle a bit more Smiley.

K, generalized the cloak bonuses, added stash checks, and set up the blade-cloak and weighted cloak as combat cloaks that grant thick hide.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 07:49:06 AM by Morgenstern » Logged

Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 11:27:45 PM »

Morgenstern, your feats would work well for representing non-goofy combat nets too.  I could see a pit fighter with a trident and a net making good use of these.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 12:09:48 PM »

Hmm. THe skill bonus stuff doesn't seem to line up that well (hide and stash), but I see where you're going onthe combat side. I'd probaby draw on some of Balck Irish's combat feat ideas to flesh out a net in n expert's hands, but I do like the idea of cloaks and nets sharing the same fightin' ideaspace... Looking over the stats for the net, there is certainly room to aply some love, starting with the ability to wield them one-handed!

Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 09:21:15 PM »

I know it's been a while, but did you ever work up the Blade-cloak and Weighted-cloak's stats? Or the net chain alluded to in the last few posts?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: