Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2014, 06:08:37 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Sha'ir (Base Class) (Al-Qadim)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sha'ir (Base Class) (Al-Qadim)  (Read 3113 times)
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2011, 01:11:30 AM »

Ok... scraping the idea of a Sha'ir specialty and replacing it with a class. Honestly, their "I don't know spells but I can get a genie to snag them for me." casting really required a class to work right. Eveything that the AD&D kit tacked on to the mage class is here:

At 1st level, a sha段r can summon a small elemental familiar, which will provide spells, including magics that other 1st-level wizards cannot cast.  Ok... Fantasy Craft has balance. I dropped the "grab higher level spells".

At 3rd level, a sha段r gains the ability to recognize the works of geniekind, including their magics and the items they致e created. Done. Comes in at 4th level.

At 5th level, a sha段r can call upon the jann for aid. Moved it to 2nd level, and it summons a 25 rep contact who is a generic jann.

At 7th level, a sha段r gains additional protection against elemental attacks. Made this a 8/12/16 increasing bonus, but otherwise stayed the same as the source.

At 9th level, a sha段r can call upon one of the more powerful genies for aid.  Moved it to 11 and the generic genie is a 35 point contact (split the difference of a 30/30 rep paitr of contacts.).

At 11th level, a sha段r can bind one of the true genies (dao, marid, djinn, or efreet) as a personal servant. Moved to level 10 and made this an upgrade for the PL. It increases again at level 20.

At 13th level, a sha段r can create a prison to entrap a genie. Made this the gamebreaker. It's a fairly powerful item since it completely negates a genie...and  forces him to perform a task upon release.

At 15th level, a sha段r can enter the elemental planes at will. Kicked this up to 20th level, and limited it's use. Though, at 20 rep for a one way trip, it may not need a limit...

At 17th level, a sha段r can receive an audience with a great ruler of the genies. Made this the third part of the "Call for Aid" ability chain at 19th level.

Sha段r (Base)[/b]
Sha段r are the legendary few who boast the power to communicate with the desert痴 awesome spirits, the genies. They are also spellcasters, but not in the most conventional sense; for they are spellcasters that can learn no spells! Why the genies so readily serve them or why their minds cannot hold the knowledge of the spells that have the ability to cast in not known. But their rapport with geniekind allows for a solution to the problem. Each sha段r has a gen bound to him, and this gen can fetch the desired spell and channel it into the sha段r痴 mind as he casts it. As the sha段r grows in power, his connection to geniekind grows also. Truly, Fate has bound the sha段r and the gen together, forever.
Depending on your campaign, a Sha段r could be...

A witty charlatan that plays the game of archmagery while his invisible assistant does all the real work.
   A former street rat, freed from a life of poverty by a chance encounter with his new lifelong partner in mischief.
   A magical researcher, sussing out the mysteries of enchanted items with an array of instruments including the ultimate living magical tool.
   A cunning vizier, ruling the court with a well-placed word and a powerful aide.
   A tag team of magical powerhouses that ensure adventuring parties that employ him gets twice the bang for their buck.

Party Role: Wildcard/Backer. Your role is determined by your spells, but an extra set of helping hands means that you are able to back your teammates fairly reliably.

Class Features
Requirements: Sorcery campaign quality, Miracles campaign quality, Caster Level 0.
Favored Attributes: Intelligence, Charisma, Wisdom
Caster: Each Level in this class increases your Casting Level by 1.
Class Skills: Bluff, Crafting, Impress, Intimidate, Investigate, Notice, Prestidigitation, Resolve, Search, Sense Motive
Skill Points: 6 + Int mod per Level
Vitality: 9 + Con mod per Level
Starting Proficiencies: 3

Base Attack: Low
Fortitude: Mid
Reflex: Mid
Will: Mid
Defense: Mid
Initiative: Mid
Lifestyle: Mid
Legend: Mid
Spell Points: Mid

Core Ability
Ambassador to the Gen: The fine art of flattery is paramount when dealing with such capricious and powerful creatures as genies. Your Legend rises by 1 and you gain the Language Jannti (Genie-speak) interest. Also, at Level 1 and for each Class Level thereafter, you gain 1 additional skill point that must be spent on Impress or Sense Motive.

Class Abilities

Companion Gen: At Level 1, you gain the Personal Lieutenant feat (see Fantasy Craft, page 108). This personal lieutenant must be a gen (See page XX) of whatever subtype you desire. Your Spellcasting feats count as Style feats when determining your lieutenant痴 XP value.
You may purchase ranks in the Spellcasting skill, and learn spells from any School.
As long as your companion gen is adjacent to you and not Enraged, Held, Helpless, Paralyzed, Pinned, or Stunned, you may cast Level 0 spells you know.
In addition, you may never gain the Circle of Power ability. Should you gain Circle of Power from a class or other source, you instead gain an additional Spellcasting feat.
If you already have this ability, you gain an additional Spellcasting feat instead.

Call for Aid (Jann): At Level 2, you gain a contact with a Reputation value of 25 or less which must be a jann (see page XX), which does not count against the number of prizes you may keep. This contact is not any particular jann, but represents a random jann that may answer your call. You may summon this jann from up to 10 miles distance with a shout.

Spell Fetching I: At Level 3, as long as your companion gen is adjacent to you and not Enraged, Held, Helpless, Paralyzed, Pinned, or Stunned, you may cast Level 1 spells you know.

Spell Fetching II: At Level 5, as long as your companion gen is adjacent to you and not Enraged, Held, Helpless, Paralyzed, Pinned, or Stunned, you may cast Level 2 and lower spells you know.

Spell Fetching III: At Level 7, as long as your companion gen is adjacent to you and not Enraged, Held, Helpless, Paralyzed, Pinned, or Stunned, you may cast Level 3 and lower spells you know.

Spell Fetching IV: At Level 9, as long as your companion gen is adjacent to you and not Enraged, Held, Helpless, Paralyzed, Pinned, or Stunned, you may cast Level 4 and lower spells you know.

Spell Fetching V: At Level 11, as long as your companion gen is adjacent to you and not Enraged, Held, Helpless, Paralyzed, Pinned, or Stunned, you may cast Level 5 and lower spells you know.

Spell Fetching VI: At Level 13, as long as your companion gen is adjacent to you and not Enraged, Held, Helpless, Paralyzed, Pinned, or Stunned, you may cast Level 6 and lower spells you know.

Spell Fetching VII: At Level 15, as long as your companion gen is adjacent to you and not Enraged, Held, Helpless, Paralyzed, Pinned, or Stunned, you may cast Level 7 and lower spells you know.

Spell Fetching VIII: At Level 17, as long as your companion gen is adjacent to you and not Enraged, Held, Helpless, Paralyzed, Pinned, or Stunned, you may cast Level 8 and lower spells you know.

Spell Fetching IX: At Level 19, as long as your companion gen is adjacent to you and not Enraged, Held, Helpless, Paralyzed, Pinned, or Stunned, you may cast Level 9 and lower spells you know.

Recognize the Signs: At Level 4, you gain a +5 bonus to perception, notice or knowledge checks to recognize the works of geniekind (including their magics and the items they致e created) or to recognize disguised genies for what they are.

Bonus Feat: At Levels 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18, you gain an additional Gear or Spellcasting feat.

Elemental Shielding: At Level 8, as long as your companion gen is adjacent to you and not Enraged, Held, Helpless, Paralyzed, Pinned, or Stunned, you gain Resistance 2 to Fire, Subdual, Stress, and Explosive damage. If your companion gen痴 elemental type and the associated damage type match (efreeti = Fire, dao = Subdual, marid = Stress, or djinni = Explosive), double the Resistance value.
At Level 12 this Resistance rises to 4.
At Level 16 this Resistance rises to 6.

Bind Genie: At Level 10, you may dismiss your gen (with no reputation penalty), and replace it with a true genie (see page XX) of whatever subtype you desire as your new personal lieutenant. This genie counts as your gen for abilities that require your gen (Spell Fetching, etc). Your genie痴 maximum XP value increases by 10. Also, gear that your genie is assigned may have a Complexity of up to 20.
At Level 20, your genie痴 XP value increases by 20 more (total bonus of 30) and gear that your genie is assigned may have a Complexity of up to 30.

Call for Aid (Genie): At Level 11, you gain a contact with a Reputation value of 35 or less which must be a genie (see page XX), which does not count against the number of prizes you may keep. This contact is not any particular genie, but represents a random genie that may answer your call. You may summon this genie from up to 10 miles distance with a shout.

Genie Bottle: At Level 14, you may use the crafting skill to produce a genie bottle (see page XX), a secret that is guarded jealously by the sha段rs. You also gain a +5 bonus when using a genie bottle that use crafted to capture a genie.

Invitation to Court: At Level 19, once per adventure, as long as your companion gen is adjacent to you and not Enraged, Held, Helpless, Paralyzed, Pinned, or Stunned, you and your allies can immediately gain both the Safe Passage Favor (cost as Remote - from your current location to the audience chamber of one of the great rulers of the genies) and the Invitation Favor (cost as Elite it痴 with one of the great rulers of the genies). Each of these favors costs is reduced by your class level.
Why you are there and how you get home is your problem.

Elemental Travel: At Level 20, as long as your companion gen is adjacent to you and not Enraged, Held, Helpless, Paralyzed, Pinned, or Stunned, you and your allies can immediately gain both the Safe Passage Favor (cost as Remote - from your current location to any of the elemental planes (fire, air, water or earth) or back). You may use this ability a number of times per session equal to your starting action dice.
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 03:33:48 AM »

I'm not sure of the utility of this clause:

In addition, you may never gain the Circle of Power ability. Should you gain Circle of Power from a class or other source, you instead gain an additional Spellcasting feat.
If you already have this ability, you gain an additional Spellcasting feat instead.

Every way I can think of to get circle of power is going to delay spell acquisition anyway, and is there strictly a reason why a sha'ir can't multiclass as a Mage? I think I might rewrite spell fetching as, "At Level 3, as long as your companion gen is adjacent to you and not Enraged, Held, Helpless, Paralyzed, Pinned, or Stunned, you gain circle of power I (as a Mage)." I think the real problem, though, is that the gen is the source of the sha'irs spell knowledge, not his casting ability, but in FC, spell knowledge is based on Spellcasting ranks.

So how about this?  

You may purchase ranks in the Spellcasting skill, and learn spells from any School. You may replace your spells known during Downtime, at a rate of one day per level of spells exchanged.

Then for spell fetching, at each iteration, in addition to the limited circle of power, add, "One per adventure, you can spend ten minutes to learn one spell from your gen, which you retain until the end of the adventure." Each iteration adds one more use. Something like that.

I think to some extent that adding custom casting methods is a good oppotunity to quanitfy learning spells, which the FC book leaves vague.
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 06:52:30 PM »

I'm not sure of the utility of this clause:

Every way I can think of to get circle of power is going to delay spell acquisition anyway, and is there strictly a reason why a sha'ir can't multiclass as a Mage?

Well, yes. The source material. My interpretation of this is covered/explained/lampshaded in the opening blurb of the class:
 Why the genies so readily serve them or why their minds cannot hold the knowledge of the spells that they have the ability to cast in not known. But their rapport with geniekind allows for a solution to the problem.
All the fluff goes into depth that sha'irs have no spellcasting ability without the help of their gen.  So no circle of power for sha'irs in my interpretation, so as to best mirror the source material.

I think I might rewrite spell fetching as, "At Level 3, as long as your companion gen is adjacent to you and not Enraged, Held, Helpless, Paralyzed, Pinned, or Stunned, you gain circle of power I (as a Mage)." I think the real problem, though, is that the gen is the source of the sha'irs spell knowledge, not his casting ability, but in FC, spell knowledge is based on Spellcasting ranks.

Since it's situational (Your gen is adjacent), I don't know if the wording technically allows those Circles of Power to stack. Sure everybody will look at it and declare that they do, but I don't like to give rule lawyers wiggle room on things that can be easily locked up. The creation of a "fake circle of power" also allows for things that shut down circle of power or plays off it or boosts it, or.. whatever, doesn't affect my spell fetching and vice versa.

So how about this?  

You may purchase ranks in the Spellcasting skill, and learn spells from any School. You may replace your spells known during Downtime, at a rate of one day per level of spells exchanged.

Interesting. Where would you stick it? That first level ability is getting dangerously crowded. In fact, I think the "Your Spellcasting feats count as Style feats when determining your lieutenant痴 XP value." might make whole Companion Gen ability too beefy.

Then for spell fetching, at each iteration, in addition to the limited circle of power, add, "One per adventure, you can spend ten minutes to learn one spell from your gen, which you retain until the end of the adventure." Each iteration adds one more use. Something like that.

If it doesn't push the "fake circle of power" to far out of power level, I'm not against this. I think spending a AD might be a fair, balanced addition to help pay for learning an extra spell also.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »

To me the Gen is a plot device - it barely needs stats at all, much less a class ability to buff the holy heck out of those stats. Its gonna spend most of its time in an imaginary extradimensional pocket where it won't get shot to bits, nulifying 8/10ths of your class abilities...

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 07:24:32 PM »

Or it can sit on you shoulder and you're a mounted pair. My friend did tons of Per Lt / Animal Comp type stuff with his gen, and that was back in '95. Over 15 years later, with Fantasy Craft's PL rules, you can actually have a viable gen as a sidekick - which was the interpretation that my playing group had. Your group (or just you) had another, one that quite frankly, sounds rather boring. If you were to humor my interpretation for what the Sha'ir can be in FC, do you think you could help by giving it a once over to help me balance it (should you see things that are out of whack)?
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »

Eh, honestly I think you're making a fundamental and common mistake in this approach. Give them Circle of Power -- all that ability does is grant you access to spell levels, it has nothing to do with the actual ability to cast spells. Besides which, it saves verbage.

What you want to do is link the genie to the spell points required to power the spells or even the spellcasting skill itself. No genie, no magic.

The second approach is simplest as it seems clear to me that genies are really just mage pouches without which spellcasting checks are considered untrained regardless of how many ranks you have (see pg 111). That hard 15 cap rules out all level 1 and greater spells (1st level has a minimum DC of 16)

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 07:35:55 PM »

Not boring, so much as my NPC aren't stupid. They kill things like that if they are aware that that's how the world works, and Sha'ir always struck me as a pretty well understood part of the landscape.

"Ok, boys: We can all die in a fire next round, or we can take out the spell caster... I vote take out the spell caster." - many a bandit chieftan who got to that position by not being a fool.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »

Or it can sit on you shoulder and you're a mounted pair.

That's a better defense. At least you get the inevitable wave of arrows pointed back at your vitaltiy point total Wink.

If you were to humor my interpretation for what the Sha'ir can be in FC, do you think you could help by giving it a once over to help me balance it (should you see things that are out of whack)?

Sure. Your fetch vebage is crazy complicated. Fold all the condition stuff back into the basic statment abotu how this works and avoid repeating it every time. I'm gonna copy your class into a blank pages and poke it a little. It'll be a few minutes.

pawsplay