Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 14, 2014, 12:19:39 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Mutants and MasterCraft AKA Spycraft Supers AKA HeroCraft [LONG]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mutants and MasterCraft AKA Spycraft Supers AKA HeroCraft [LONG]  (Read 3949 times)
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 11:44:18 PM »

I can't wait to dive into the stuff.

Creating superheroes with Crafty mechanics has been a love-hate relationship that has extended much further than I care to deal with.

I hope that I may have something to contribute.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 10:24:05 AM »

I can't wait to dive into the stuff.

Creating superheroes with Crafty mechanics has been a love-hate relationship that has extended much further than I care to deal with.

I hope that I may have something to contribute.

One of the big impacts I've noticed is play style.  I'm using Walking on Eggshells this campaign, and suddenly the player who was concerned about the unlimited pseudo-grenades his character has [kinetic control], has realised that there is very much a time and place for them.  Also my group has just hit level 5, and no big weirdness yet.  Mostly it their power selection has been pretty iconic - the Martial Artist with super strength and regen, the Pointman with Kinetic control, the faceman with sensory powers.

I know what you mean about the love-hate relationship.  Previously I was gonna run a game like this and gave the PC's 10 points to spend on mutants and masterminds powers [Lvl 10 characters].  One of them realised he could use those points to get 10 extra feats.  I'm sure you can guess where that led.
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 11:35:52 PM »

I like the feats and it's good to hear that your players are adapting to it the characters.

I had envisioned a specific Super class that is built much along the same lines as a Psion complete with Hero Points (or Power Points) instead of Spell Points.

The players would gain powers , but it was subject to a new Wealth mechanic named "adaptations." However, Adaptations could not be modified by the Charisma bonus and it regulated the amount of powers a player could possess. The Hero (or Power) points regulated the extent and the number of times such a power could be used in a scene.

These Adaptations and Hero Points would wax and wane dependent upon some criteria set by new Campaign Qualities. They look cool on paper, but I need to flesh them out a bit.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 02:09:45 PM »

I like the feats and it's good to hear that your players are adapting to it the characters.

I had envisioned a specific Super class that is built much along the same lines as a Psion complete with Hero Points (or Power Points) instead of Spell Points.

The players would gain powers , but it was subject to a new Wealth mechanic named "adaptations." However, Adaptations could not be modified by the Charisma bonus and it regulated the amount of powers a player could possess. The Hero (or Power) points regulated the extent and the number of times such a power could be used in a scene.

These Adaptations and Hero Points would wax and wane dependent upon some criteria set by new Campaign Qualities. They look cool on paper, but I need to flesh them out a bit.

I'd enjoy having a look see when your done.  I like the idea of a wealth mechanic, but I don't like how it favours the facemen / scientists / etc as supers.  No classic super-soldier or martial artist who is bulletproof and super strong through the power of his chi.  Unless you make it a static progression that can't be influenced [except maybe silver spoon esque feats that give you +2].
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 10:54:30 PM »

New Origin:
Post Human. Whether called a mutant, a meta or a nova, you represent the next stage of human evolution.
Constitution +1
Any Attribute +1
Near-Human: Attempts to treat you with base-line human medicine suffer a -1 penalty. You suffer a -2 penalty on attempts to disguise yourself as or blend in with humans.
You gain a new Wealth statistic Adaptations. This has an initial rating of 1 which increase by a further +1 at career levels 5, 10, 15 & 20.
You may purchase Post Human feats.

It follows a cost-benefit analysis. Those characters that have access to a high Wealth count will still have to choose if they want spend it on Adaptations or one of the others. It a weird sort of way... it could explain why so many scientists end up being superheroes. Or why some explorers may stumble across some mystic device or object that transform them into something else.

ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 11:23:26 PM »

Super
The Super is the icon often found within the pages of modern comic books and cinema. Tales of their exploits have reached far back into mythology. While fiction tends to embellish the abilities and weaknesses of Supers, their “powers” are relatively minor to their exploits and choices they make.
Attributes: While there are a number of different directions a Super can go, a solid Constitution is desired to be to withstand the type of damage they’re going to endure. A focus on different attributes generally indicates the type of Super the character becomes during her career.
Vitality: 1d12 + Con modifier per level.
Starting Weapon Proficiencies: 5

Class Skills
The Super’s class skills are Acrobatics, Athletics, Blend, Cultures, Drive, Impress, Intimidate, Resolve and Profession.
Skill Points at Level 1: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Core Ability
A Hair’s Breath Away: You constantly hurl yourself into the face of danger. Thus, whenever you spend an action die for a Fortitude, Reflex or Willpower save, you add the result of two dice.

Class Abilities
Trademark:
You are generally associated with a power, piece of equipment, or skill.
   Adaptation: Any adaptation could be chosen for the trademark with the following stipulations. If the adaptation has no stunt, the character chooses one aspect of it (range, duration, damage, etc.), and it’s is doubled. If the adaptation has stunts, then the character can choose one, in which the action die cost to execute the stunt is reduced by one.
   Equipment: The designated equipment gains one extra upgrade (even if it’s not normally allowed an upgrade.) Additionally, the item cannot be destroyed due to a critical failure (though it may still be destroyed by damage).
   Skill: Choose any skill, which then becomes a permanent class skill. When using an action die, you roll at the next highest die available. Additionally, the threat range is increased by one and the error range is decreased by one (to a minimum of 1).

Signature Attack: You choose single method of attack (an adaptation, single weapon, unarmed combat technique — chosen from a weapon proficiency forte or feat) and you gain a +1 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls. At Level 11, this attack’s morale bonus increases by one to +2, and the error range drops by one (minimum of 1). At Level 19, the morale bonus increases to +3, and the threat range increases by one.

Empowered:
At Levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 19, you gain 1 additional Post Human feat or a feat from another category (Unarmed Combat, Gear, Style, etc.). However, once that category is chosen, it cannot be changed again.

Evasion I: You’ve gotten better at rolling with the punches. At Level 4, whenever you aren’t flat-footed and may make a Reflex save to reduce the damage suffered from an attack or event (such as an explosion or successful grenade attack), you instead suffer no damage with a successful save.

Evasion II: At Level 12, whenever you aren’t flat-footed and may make a Reflex save to reduce the damage suffered from an attack or event (such as an explosion or successful grenade attack), you instead suffer ½ damage with a failed save (rounded down).

Evasion III: At Level 20, you may take 10 with any Reflex save.

Under the Hood: At Levels 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, you may choose 1 of the following abilities. Each of these abilities may be chosen only once.
   Audacity: The Super becomes larger than life. Once per scene, the Super may add his Charisma modifier to his Defense. This is not a dodge bonus, and thus is not lost when the Super is caught flat-footed.
   Bravado: Once per session, the Super makes a show of confidence to briefly inspire his friends and allies (up to a number of people equal to half your Super level + 1), who will receive a +1 bonus to skill checks and saving throws for a number of rounds equal to the Super’s Charisma modifier).
   Field Experience: You may select a cross-class skill and make it a class skill. Alternately, you can choose a new Culture focus. This can be taken more than once.
   Fame: Your name precedes you. You gain +2 Reputation points (in Faction campaigns) or +$100,000 Net Worth (in Freelance campaigns), or your choice (in case of a hybrid campaign).
   Favored Save: Choose Fortitude, Reflex or Willpower and gain a +3 bonus. Additionally, once per session, you can roll twice and keep the better of the two results. (This can only be chose once, regardless of which Save is chosen. However, these bonuses do stack with their corresponding feat.)
   Scholarly Pursuits: The Super may receive a one-time bonus of four (4) additional skill points.
   Skill Mastery: You can choose one class skill and you can take 10 with that skill, and the time required is not increased — even when under pressure.

Uncanny Dodge I:
You get tossed around quite a bit, and you have learned to stay out of the way. At level 8, you retain your Dexterity bonus to Defense (if any) even when flat-footed or being attacked by an invisible adversary (though you still lose you Dexterity bonus to Defense when held.)

Uncanny Dodge II: At Level 16, you never become flanked.

Collateral Damage: Whenever you get into fights, there tends to be a lot of destruction. At Level 10, once per combat, as a free action, you can make a Gear check to find an improvised weapon and you suffer no penalty in using it as a weapon during that combat scene. Additionally, once per combat all collusion damage is treated as subdual.
   At Level 20, this ability can be used twice per session (as in the improvised weapon) or twice per combat for collusion damage to be treated as subdual.

Between the Panels: As the combat scene progresses, there may be a moment that you can recover damage that has been dealt to you. Starting at Level 14, after losing at least half your vitality points, you can spend any number of action die to double the healing of vitality points (equal to the action die’s result) or 2 wound points without taking a Refresh action (not to exceed the original total). However, this is merely a stop-gap and thus the healed points disappear at the end of the combat (or Chase if one or the other flees).
   For example, Atlas has just 5 vitality points left while dealing with the Death Doctor. Atlas (Career Level 6, using all of his 4d6) rolls 14 total (for a total of 28). He defeats the Death Doctor and finishes the combat scene, his vitality drops back to the 5 vp. 

BAB: Medium
Fort/Ref/Will: Low (each)
Def: Medium
Init: Low
Weath: Medium
Gear: Medium
Power Points: High

Some items listed under “Under the Hood” were borrowed as part of the OGC from “Deeds Not Words” a d20 RPG published by Cryptosnark Games (2002), written by Scott Lynch.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 11:48:35 PM by ThunderMonkey » Logged

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 12:25:09 AM »

Nice.  Might wanna mention if Between the Panels can kill the character or not.
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 09:57:02 AM »

Nice.  Might wanna mention if Between the Panels can kill the character or not.

Oh, it could very well kill the character if immediate medical attention is brought to them. However, you're right, that should be rather explicit in the description of Between the Panels.

snake
Handler

Its all in the reflexes !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 07:55:32 AM »

Here's a few more thoughts.

I'd definitely keep and allow ALL the SC classes, not just have one generic Super class. I think this gives the PCs a broader and more interesting range of abilities and covers most hero types:

eg Nick Fury (Snoop), Tony Stark (Scientist), Doc Strange (Channeller) etc. Just add in Gadgets, Spells, Psi Powers on top as required.    

You could probably use the generic Super class for "professional" superheroes eg the Vision (created as an android), who don't have any other career. You might want to allow PCs to multi-class into the Super class as they gain more experience fighting crime.

Some systems only bolt on a few skills onto what are essentially combat monsters. I'm more in favor of Supers being People or characters first, with the addition of SuperPowers. Makes them more fun to roleplay.

It might be worth extending the Talents (Racial and otherwise) available to the PCs, esp if PCS born with powers. So maybe have Atlantean, Alien, Mutant, Psychic Talents as the basis for the PCs powers.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:00:42 AM by snake » Logged

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever !!!
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 08:04:42 AM »

Here's a few more thoughts.

I'd definitely keep and allow ALL the SC classes, not just have one generic Super class. I think this gives the PCs a broader and more interesting range of abilities and covers most hero types:

eg Nick Fury (Snoop), Tony Stark (Scientist), Doc Strange (Channeller) etc. Just add in Gadgets, Spells, Psi Powers on top as required.    

You could probably use the generic Super class for "professional" superheroes eg the Vision (created as an android), who don't have any other career. You might want to allow PCs to multi-class into the Super class as they gain more experience fighting crime.

Some systems only bolt on a few skills onto what are essentially combat monsters. I'm more in favor of Supers being People or characters first, then with the addition of SuperPowers. Makes them more fun to roleplay.

It might be worth extending the Talents (Racial and otherwise) available to the PCs, esp if PCS born with powers. So maybe have Atlantean, Alien, Mutant, Psychic Talents as the basic for the PCs powers.

Oh definitely. I never intended the Super class to be a stand-alone type of class. I designed so that it could merge with others.

Tony would be a Scientist, however he could also benefit with Super class to gain some of the bonuses (especially to his repulsor technology) that he would otherwise miss out.

Some early characters I toyed around with: Mr. Fantanistic (Scientist/Super), Human Torch (Wheelman/Super), Thing (Wheelman/Super), Captain America (Super/Soldier) get it?.

snake
Handler

Its all in the reflexes !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 08:06:28 AM »

Excellent. Sorry I doubted you, ThunderMonkey. I should have known better.  Smiley

Heres a few possiblities for Super Talents (with a bit of work maybe):

New Talent:  Psychic
You were born with strange powers of the mind.

+2 Int. (Cost 3)
     Send/Receive Telepathic Messages to similar minds etc. (1.5CP)
     Gain single Psionic Power or access to Psionic Skill and a single Focus Tag. (Cost 2.5)

New Talent: Mutant

You are a child of the atom, gifted (or cursed) with strange abilities.  

+2 Con, -2 Int  (1)
  Contagion Resistance 6 (1)
  You gain a +1 insight bonus with Fortitude saves. This bonus increases by an additional +1 at Career Levels 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20. (4)
  Reviled: The disposition of any character that does not share your native culture and is aware of your Origin is reduced by 1 grade. (-1)
  Bonus Feat: SuperPower Basics or Whatever (2)

Transgenic Human. Your genes are a mix of human and something else, designed to make you a better soldier.
   Requirement: Culture (Posthuman).
   Type: Medium biped near-human. Attempts to treat you with human medicine suffer a -1 penalty. You suffer a -2 penalty on all attempts to disguise yourself as or blend in with humans. Additionally, you only gain your specialty's bonus feat when it is Criminal, Genesoldier, Hunter, Operative, Serviceman or Special Ops.
  +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
  You gain the Unarmed weapon proficiency.
  You gain the fast healing and low-light vision qualities.
  You automatically succeed on all cooperative checks where you are the helper if you have at least 4 ranks in the skill being used and the leader shares your allegiance or is one of your team-mates.
  You gain a +1 bonus to your threat range with Blend checks. This bonus increases by a further +1 at career levels 5, 10, 15 & 20.
  The initial disposition of any character that does not share your native culture and is aware of your Talent is reduced by 1 grade.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:16:37 AM by snake » Logged

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever !!!
Seuss
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 09:45:42 PM »

Ran across the this when I was perusing the ole Crafty forum.  Has anyone playtested this?

Seuss
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 02:19:52 AM »

Just passing by and firing off a few thoughts which may be helpful.

Most superheroes tend to be very competent in terms of character options eg Attributes or Skill levels, as well as having superpowers. Many are described as "Olympic level athletes" in write-ups abouit them.

Even "Trained human" types like Batman and Captain America are at the peak of human physical prowess and skills. 

For this reason, I'd think about starting your Spycraft Supers at a high Career Level say Level 5 for Street Level or Teen Supers and Level 10 for more typical "Avengers" type heroes.

It would also let you multiclass to get the right combo of abilities. Eg if you were creating Batman say at Career Level 10, you could take Intruder 3 Scientist 3 Sleuth 4  and add in lots of gadgets.

Similarly, Cap America starts as Soldier 10 and gadget (shield), Mr Fantastic as Scientist 10 plus powers etc. 

I started them off at 3rd level, but it is before they know they have super powers [kinda like the first ep's of heroes], but with a reasonably quick level up rate early on.  As far as batman type heroes the fact that all spycraft agents have above average stats [with regular mooks having straight 10's], I've kinda left that as it is.

Or simply rule that everyone who is not a super is a Mook. ?

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 02:41:53 AM »

Once 10kB is out, it would be really nice to have a superhero basic guide to play Batman or Daredevil adventures (I'm not venturing as far as X-Men or even Superman).
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: