Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 06:05:13 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Raiding FFG's "Way of the Sword" - The Obligatory Dragon Class
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raiding FFG's "Way of the Sword" - The Obligatory Dragon Class  (Read 650 times)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2011, 08:46:21 PM »

Appearantly it's required to have some sort of "I wanna be a Dragon!" class in all fantasy rulesets derivied from Dungeons and Dragons. It just is. Even though Dragons have a long history of getting spanked by dragon-slayers weighing about an 80th as much as they do and weilding swords and lances instead of a proper bio-flamethrower. Still, there is something to be said for a steady supply of maidens being offered up and who doesn't like a bit of extremely rare beef or mutton plucked right off the pasture?

So, Way of the Sword took its turn at this ineveitable archetype with the third prestige class in the book. The reliance on spell casting made me want to barf, especially as it was almost entirely unrelated to what the class did (it was used in one fairly wank ability to extend your berserker rage by burning spellspell/spell slots). So, we're gonna pretend that didn't happen, and focus on what was cool about the class: tying dragon-ness to being in a rage. That's workable. Pull out the big pot, cause it's time to cook!

(Since I'm thinking about using the FCDB to populate an expanded version of the Sunchaser setting, Its worthwhile to find the new toys a home. The Goblins of the Black Peaks are practically begging for a set of advantages like this (eat a drake, gain his might!), and I can see the chain doing a fine job of enpowering the Orc equivalent of a paladin from the Kaia Jungles, though probably NOT favoring fire. More likely sonic for them, and the power gained by infernal pact rather than dragon blood.)

UNARMED COMBAT FEATS
Dragonrage Basics
Perhaps the blood of dragons flows in you veinsÖ or maybe just their rage!
Prerequisites: Rage Basics
Benefit: Chose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, electrical, fire, force, sonic, or stress. While in berserk stance, you gain thick hide 4 and Resistance to the chosen damage type equal to the number of unarmed Combat feats you have.

Dragonrage Mastery
Your ire bursts from within to consume your foes!
Prerequisites: Dragonrage Basics
Benefit: While in berserk stance, you gain a breath weapon: once per round as a full action you may exhale in a 20-ft.line, inflicting 2d6 + your Con modifier in the damage type chosen as part of your Dragonrage Basics feat. Make a single ranged attack against all characters and objects in the path; each character hit may make a Reflex save (DC 10 + the number of species feats you have + your Con modifier) to suffer only one-half damage (round down).
Special: You may ignore the Drake prerequisite of the Greater Breath feat. If you gain another breath weapon with the same damage type from any source, you may choose a new damage type for this attack from the list in Dragonrage Basics.

Dragonrage Supremacy
The fury of dragons transforms you into a rampaging beast!
Prerequisites: Dragonrage Mastery
Benefit: While in berserk stance you lose the Folk type if you have it and gain the Beast type if you do not have it already. You also gain a Claw I, Bite I, Slam I and Tail Slap I natural attack. If you already possess any of these natural attacks, the grade of the existing attack increases by 1 instead of gaining an additional copy of the attack (to a maximum of grade V).

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:05:18 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »

Isn't the language of the third feat a little superfluous, as natural attack grades already by default stack highest grade + 1 per additional, instead of simply accumulating next to each other?

Also why lose folk?

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 09:00:56 PM »

Isn't the language of the third feat a little superfluous, as natural attack grades already by default stack highest grade + 1 per additional, instead of simply accumulating next to each other?

Actually, where a transformation is concerned, no, it's not automatic that the grades would combine rather than multiple copies of attacks accumulate. While combining is the most common arrangement, better to state the intent explicitly.

Also why lose folk?

Because Beast and Folk are mutually exclusive.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »

"The NPC is a tool-using, civilized creature with linguistic skills. It often lives with others of its kind and frequently bonds with other folk species, valuing cultural identity above racial solidarity. A folk character ages and must eat, sleep, and breathe."

"The NPC resembles and is easily mistaken for an animal but may have any Intelligence score. It lacks hands or other fine manipulators and canít take actions requiring them. It can only use armor, handheld gear, and non-natural weapons specifically modified for its use. A beast ages and must eat, sleep, and breathe."

I'm not seeing a lot of mutual exclusivity. The very fact that beasts need things altered for their use says they are tool users. More importantly, it means that someone who didn't start out that way can stil be targetted with various mechanical effects even though they're now large and scaley.

Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 09:42:59 PM »

"It lacks hands or other fine manipulators and canít take actions requiring them."

That is the key difference between the two, and what I believe the rule is there to represent. When you're channeling your inner dragon in a bloody dance of holy hellfire you don't have the mental control to pause and pick a lock.

It's hard to be subtle when you have claws for hands

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »

Given you can be folk and undead, with undead trumping the whole need to breath thing, beast would clearly trump folk tool using mojo.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 12:03:21 AM »

The very fact that beasts need things altered for their use says they are tool users.

Actually the intent is completely the opposite - the option for OTHER species to strap something on them exists because other species have fine manipulators, but they themselves are not tool users. Its sort of the defining characteristic of the type. If they had hands (and Intelligence), they'd be folk.