Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2014, 03:22:23 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  Spycraft CCG
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spycraft CCG  (Read 3772 times)
Koz
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2011, 02:14:36 PM »

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone knew if Crafty Games holds the license to the Spycraft CCG, or if AEG still does.  Does anyone know?  Thanks for any answers. 

Koz
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »

We hold the license for the CCG, and all other Spycraft products.

Dace
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:56:15 PM »

I miss the CCG. It was insanely fun.
agent oni
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:06:54 PM »

I played it a couple of times but it never grabbed me.  The artwork was the first obstacle and the gameplay was not really that much fun for me either.

If Crafty ever does something with SC outside of rpg, I hope it would be in the form of a non-collectible card game.  Due to Dominion, there has been an explosion of similar card games that have some elements of the ccg traits without the collectible aspect.  What I would not like is the FFG's way with their Living Card Game production.
klofft
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 05:12:33 PM »

I'm going to have to go with "insanely fun" also.  Loved the artwork lots.  Thought that if you put your "role-playing mind" on while playing the game, all the missions played out like awesome scenes.  Wish I could play it more often.
ahzad
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 06:31:15 PM »

I'm going to have to go with "insanely fun" also.  Loved the artwork lots.  Thought that if you put your "role-playing mind" on while playing the game, all the missions played out like awesome scenes.  Wish I could play it more often.

Me too! A buddy and me still play it once in a while, loved the game a lot we did.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 01:14:15 AM »

Me too! A buddy and me still play it once in a while, loved the game a lot we did.

I did not like the CCG at all, but it wasn't really the game's fault, it may have been all right.  But in my mind it had one major failing.  It was a CCG.

I never liked the "Collectible" part of CCGs, I just wanted to be able to play the damn card game.  Eventually everyone I played had multiple copies of rare, read overpowered, cards that they had spent way too much money to get and which I had no intention of matching.  What started off as a fun and interesting game became boring and largely not fun.  So eventually that disliking became loathing.

Unfortunately, that was about the time that Spycraft CCG came out.  If I could go a buy boxed version of the game that had all of the cards in it, not just a random array, but ALL of the cards in it, I might consider playing it again.

But then, I would much prefer that every CCG just became a CG, keeping the "Card Game" and dropping the "Collectible".

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 06:26:31 AM »

Exactly. I think it might have been better served as something more akin to Munchkin

klofft
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 06:41:28 AM »

The way we dealt with the "collectible" part is that only one person had cards: me.  I choked up the money for them, and then I built thematic decks for my group to use.  I have about 30 decks pre-constructed, some better than others, but none super-imbalanced because they came from the same pool of cards so the "rare wealth" got spread around.
toturi
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 11:42:30 PM »

I never liked the "Collectible" part of CCGs, I just wanted to be able to play the damn card game.  Eventually everyone I played had multiple copies of rare, read overpowered, cards that they had spent way too much money to get and which I had no intention of matching.  What started off as a fun and interesting game became boring and largely not fun.  So eventually that disliking became loathing.
I wasn't too bothered about the collectible part of the Spycraft CCG. Sure, there were rares. But most of those rares were more flavor than actually "you need this to be competitive". You could actually build competitive decks with fixed rares, uncommons(these are the real workhorses in Spycraft CCG, IMO) and commons.

God is on the side of the biggest cheaters. Some bring more money to the game, but I stack the deck, look at your hand and have an ace up my sleeve and a joker when you least expect me to.
Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 04:41:50 AM »

Yeah, I had to go there. Wink

Reapercussions
agent oni
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 03:47:15 PM »

I loved that card game!  It was actually my first ccg since I was more familiar with D&D than Magic.

I never really understood the hatred people felt for it.  I even liked the corny photo cards.  They were hilarious!
Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 10:40:08 AM »

I loved that card game!  It was actually my first ccg since I was more familiar with D&D than Magic.

I never really understood the hatred people felt for it.  I even liked the corny photo cards.  They were hilarious!

Back then it was either Magic or Spellfire, really, and the end result was of course a sharply divided "fanbase" (I hate the term). Along with the cancellation of the Dragonlance line, the axing of Spellfire was the other thing I'm never going to forgive Wizards.

Reapercussions
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 02:20:27 AM »

I played Decipher's Star Wars and Trek CCGs to national level. They got cancelled.

I played UFS to national level too. That also got cancelled.

I don't do CCGs anymore.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »

For us at the time, Magic was the serious/hobbyist game, Spellfire was a "couples" game that my gaming buddies and I would play when our wives were along.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: