Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 11:27:22 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Semi OT: 4th Ed Race Designs: Elves
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Semi OT: 4th Ed Race Designs: Elves  (Read 8787 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2007, 12:53:26 AM »

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drdd/20070905a&authentic=true

Most elves are wild, free forest-dwellers, guarding their lands with stealth and deadly arrows from high boughs. Though fey in origin, elves have lived so long in the world that they have become almost inured to its difficulties. Hardened by the unruly savagery of nature and seasoned by the hard lessons that orcs, humans, and other creatures of the world are only too happy to teach, elves have gone a different route than their cousins, the eladrin. Elves rely on hard-won intuition and senses tuned to an arrow’s point instead of reason, intellect, or debate as eladrin are more wont to do. However, like eladrins, they possess a pure hate for their shared distant drow relatives.

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 01:45:19 AM »

Great.
Imp. Crunch plz.

Feels to me like WotC's really taken a liking to the Eldar, not High Elves mind, though guess we'll see if these ancient forests bear fruit.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 02:16:43 AM »

Hmm, on a second brush my stance of blase rage is being smothered by an honestly positive impression. If it's first draft work, it's highly not bad even if they botch the crunch.

Interesting that the default Elf is the Wild One, but stripped of much of it's (imo) problematic stupidity (in the local LG region lots of certified Noble whoresons adventure. The only nearby Elf population is all Wild, and given their absolute proclivity to shoot first and leave the bodies for nature to savor it's strictly by traditionalist campaign staff fiat that they haven't been wiped out for reflex perforating a Prince or three already. Doubly so for the many noble families that covet all that long timber they squat on) in favor of peace-preferring and practicality.

Toccata
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 02:19:19 AM »

Maybe they perforate all the people who come to make trouble over that perforated noble, too.  Grin

Fnord.
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 02:59:58 AM »

Could be, but the problem was they were also highly splintered and (apparently) disorganized. Dozens of tribes with not one liking another, no allegiances apparent at all. Not a hard thing to overcome for a rich nation with a strong tradition of powerful arcane casters and weak infantry.
Not that the Middle East isn't full of compelling examples of apparently fractious tribes doing an awesome job of defying apparently invincible powers, which the Duchy isn't, but DnD and Real Life use completely different scales of time -and that's really the critical element for a battle involving so small a territory. The Wild Elf forest in question isn't all that big, though I can't cite any square X-age off hand, and is bordered by a different openly hostile state and a vast, deadly desert so there's no (again apparent) fall-back position besides a mass grave.

Toccata
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 03:24:36 AM »

Of course, I don't think nobles will be going into the elven territory without a large entourage, anyway.
Those sorts of places tend to be viewed with fear and superstition. Plus what good is it, land-wise? All it's got is lumber, and there's plenty of that around that's not guarded by the quick-to-anger immortal folk.

Fnord.
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 03:59:36 AM »

Not in this corner of Greyhawk apparently.
Said nobles have repeatedly demonstrated the willingness of their greed and assumed racial & cultural superiority to be manifest in any activity. There's a long-held Halfling depository called The Vale that was, in a move that FINALLY created a compelling controversial plotline, was annexed during an orc invasion and subsequently divided among noble appointees and sycophants. This move has the player base up in arms as well as dramatically polarized and I'm damn pleased it's so, but it's hideously greedy as well given the stunties haven't ever caused problems for the Duchy.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 04:41:11 AM »

elves have gone a different route than their cousins, the eladrin.

The Eladrin wizard.

Previously, Eladrin were a form of higher planar being. It now looks like that with tieflings (essentially plane-touched humans) becoming a core race, we're essentially picking up plane-touched elves as a balance. This would make the Eladrin into essentially the angelic elves of Tolkien's middle earth, while the normal elf correspond to those elves who went to the west then returned prior to the advent of Sauron

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 04:54:54 AM »

Hmm, ok. Cool, that's not half bad...though.....what gender is Varsuuvius there anyway? =]

Oh, and lol at Tieflings as core. Swing much from PCI/LA's nuts, Wot(C)?

And apologies for the random McNinja. Just seemed like fun. =]
http://drmcninja.com/issue9/9p16.png  (same)

Aragathor
Handler

The Black Mouse

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 06:48:51 AM »

Is it me, or is the Eladrin graphic veeery similar to a certain WoW race?
D&D 4ed, more plastic plz!

Proud member of the Crafty Freelancer Posse®.

True nobility can not be inherited, it must be achieved.

"Endure and thrive."
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 07:00:12 AM »

I think that's the key to the whole thing. I read a complete report (I guess it was complete...) over at ENWorld regarding the 4th Edition announcement and my take on it is that Wizards is trying to make D&D more like World of Warcraft. There were dropped hints of extending the rouge's ability into combat (I think "counterstrike" was the term used), healers won't be penalized for casting heals during combat, and the use of the word "tank" to describe fighters and paladins. There were a few others, but those were the ones that stuck out at me.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 08:26:42 AM »

I think that's the key to the whole thing. I read a complete report (I guess it was complete...) over at ENWorld regarding the 4th Edition announcement and my take on it is that Wizards is trying to make D&D more like World of Warcraft. There were dropped hints of extending the rouge's ability into combat (I think "counterstrike" was the term used), healers won't be penalized for casting heals during combat, and the use of the word "tank" to describe fighters and paladins. There were a few others, but those were the ones that stuck out at me.

Let's not forget the 30 levels. I remember browsing through a WoW RPG rulebook and noting that the classes had 30 levels. Now WOTC's choice makes more sense.

Gregory the Golden Dragon
-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
Aragathor
Handler

The Black Mouse

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 08:45:25 AM »

In short:
They. Are. Copying. WoW.

Now I'm sure I won't buy 4ed, no way in hell. The cash will be better spent on Masters of the Court for L5R.

Proud member of the Crafty Freelancer Posse®.

True nobility can not be inherited, it must be achieved.

"Endure and thrive."
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 09:00:34 AM »

Not an optimistic sign. The WoW D20 adoption was pretty weak mechanically; by my assessment better than core 3.5 but worse then Eberron.
So if Eladrin are good aligned Blood Elves, then the description very much fits for Night Elves. Not such a bad thing, perhaps. I rather like Night Elves as WoW proper presents them though their print edition was utter arse.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 09:22:32 AM »

To me it suggests that 4th ed will still be using the standard favoured class mechanics, are still in love with elves having wizard as that class but have listened to the metric truck load of players saying "have you lost your tiny little minds" so split them into elvces (ranger) and eladrin (wizards).

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: