Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 06:50:50 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [mastercraft] The Superior (was: [class conversion] Avatar)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [mastercraft] The Superior (was: [class conversion] Avatar)  (Read 3572 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2011, 02:29:59 PM »

Superior [expert class]
    People have always sought to exceed their natural limits, both out of a sense of manifest destiny and to reach out to some concept of the divine. Superiors are one expression of this, physical powerhouses of striking appearance and capacity for violence. Depending on the campaign, a Superior can be...
    • A genetically engineered super-soldier
    • The next stage of evolution
    • Members of an elite warrior sect
    • A young hero granted the favour of the gods

Party Role: Combatant. Superiors develop their bodies to peak human performance (and perhaps beyond) and though that can compliment social and intellectual aspects of their character, they still find their greatest expression in physical conflict.

Class Features
         Requirements: Constitution 13+, Impress 4+ ranks, Resolve 4+ ranks, Guts
         Favoured Attributes: Strength, Charisma
         Vitality: 12 + Con modifier per level.
         Class Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Impress, Intimidate, Medicine, Notice, Resolve, Sense Motive
         Skill Points: 4 + Int modifier.
         Edge: You start each scene with an amount of Edge equal to half your class level, rounded down. This stacks other character options, such as the Lucky Break feat, that grant a starting Edge pool, though you may not exceed your Edge cap.

Core Ability
         Gorgo's Grace: You gain the This Is Sparta! feat. Further, instead of inflicting shaken you may choose to gain a number of narrative control dice equal to the number of characters targeted by this feat. You may use these dice to grant your party Perks or inflict Complications on the targets of your This Is Sparta! feat.  If not used, these dice are lost at the end of the scene.

Class Abilities
         Blockbuster: At Level 1, you are considered one size category larger for all bull rush, trip, and grappling attempts and your Strength is considered (5 + class level) higher for carrying capacity and Strength-based skill checks. Additionally, exactly once, when you level you may choose to reduce any single attribute by 2 in order to either gain Hearty Appetite or else increase your size by 1 category to a maximum of Large (1x1).
         Unearthly Splendour: Your body subtly shifts towards an ideal physical form. At levels 2 & 7, you gain the Unearthly Splendour feat.
         Agoge: At levels 3, 5, 7 & 9, you take one step along the Path of either Riddick, Travel or War. If you don't possess a ritual weapon, the benefits of War apply to your unarmed attacks. For any Path benefit that requires it, your caster level is considered equal to your class level.
         Bulwark I: Your presence is a shield. At level 4, as a full action you may spend 2 Edge to automatically cast Brawn I on yourself. Additionally, as a half action you may spend any amount of Edge to grant you and any team mates within your reach an amount of resistance against stress and subdual damage equal to twice the amount spent. This resistance lasts until the end of the scene or you are removed from battle.
         Bulwark II: At level 8, you may spend 4 Edge to automatically cast either Brawn II or Wits I on yourself; the effects of Brawn I and Brawn II granted by this ability do not stack. Additionally, you gain the following trick:
         Bulwark (Total Defence Trick): You may spend any amount of Edge to grant you and any team mates within your reach an equal amount of Damage Reduction. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to your
    Appearance modifier. Characters benefiting from this trick that move outside your reach lose the DR it grants, and the DR granted in this may never exceed the Edge cap.
         Drop Zone: At level 4, your falling increment becomes 5 ft x your class level, provided you aren't paralyzed, unconscious, or dying. You also gain superior jumper I.
         At level 8, when falling you only suffer subdual damage, and you gain an additional grade of superior jumper (for a total grade of II).
         You lose these abilities if you wear moderate or heavy armour.
         (Normally when falling, you incur 1d6 lethal damage for every 10 feet you travel. The benefit of the superior jumper quality ignores the effect of height.)
         Adamant: At Level 6, your three lowest attributes each rise by 1.
         Self-Perfection: At Level 10, your three lowest attributes each rise by 2, your other attributes each rise by 1.

Level
    BAB
    Fort
    Ref
    Will
    Def
    Init
    Lifestyle
    Legend
    Edge
    Class Abilities
    +0
    +2
    +1
    +0
    +1
    +1
    +0
    +1
    Blockbuster, unstoppable force
    +1
    +3
    +2
    +0
    +1
    +1
    +0
    +1
    Unearthly splendour
    +2
    +3
    +2
    +1
    +2
    +2
    +1
    +2
    Agoge
    +3
    +4
    +2
    +1
    +2
    +2
    +1
    +2
    Bulwark I, drop zone I
    +3
    +4
    +3
    +1
    +3
    +3
    +1
    +3
    Agoge
    +4
    +5
    +3
    +2
    +4
    +4
    +2
    +3
    Adamant
    +5
    +5
    +4
    +2
    +4
    +4
    +2
    +4
    Agoge, unearthly splendour
    +6
    +6
    +4
    +2
    +5
    +5
    +2
    +4
    Bulwark II, drop zone II
    +6
    +6
    +4
    +3
    +5
    +5
    +3
    +5
    Agoge
    +7
    +7
    +5
    +3
    +6
    +6
    +3
    +5
    Self perfection

New Style feat

This Is Sparta!
    There are consequences for imposing on you.
         Prerequisites: Intimidate 4+ ranks, Resolve 4+ ranks, Appearance 1+
         Benefit: When you are targeted by an unsuccessful Impress, Intimidate, Taunt or Threaten check, you gain 1 Edge. Once per scene as a full action you may target an individual who has generated this Edge and a number of their allies who can see and hear you up to your Appearance modifier, inflicting a grade of shaken at a cost of 1 Edge + 1 per person selected. Any characters normally immune to the condition may be affected at an additional cost of 1 action die each.

Since Val asked so nicely, here's my translation of it. I've stripped out somewhere between a third to a half of the original in favour of benefits using the new tools to hand that aim to achieve a similar flavour.

To whit, the abilities dealing with psionics are gone to make way for Agoge because that seemed the best suited to the idea of the class as a supersoldier, even though Superhuman was nice. I had considered Path of Strength, but Blockbuster renders most of that moot. The size boost of the original is now something you have to pay extra for instead of being a freebie

Take It has been transformed into Bulwark in order to give the class something to help it play better with others. I'm not terribly bothered by the idea of a mage/avatar abusing this because any spell points spent on Bulwark aren't being spent on any spells. The formerly high lifestyle was dropped to medium to pay for the SP progression

Given the Candidate feat doesn't exist at the moment, Bioefficiency was dropped partly because I like my superhumans with hearty appetites and partly so I could use the nearest equivalent to the feat it granted as an entry requirement (which also has the added advantage of allowing the class to play with non-humans: pech and half-orc avatars are cool).

While the the style feats of the original do have mastercraft counterparts, Unearthly Appearance just worked better for me as the expression of that aspect of the class, and by targeting the lower of two attributes gives a more rounded end product in line with Self Perfection

Wuxia ran into the problem that granting it as a D slot power potentially makes for "a dead level" for people entering late from or returning to martial artist, so moving Wuxia I to the 8th level slot and bringing in Dropzone at 4th at least solves that.

ETA: Tweaked Bulwark to take the possibility of someone picking up the Spell Power into account. In short, it's an option I like in much the same way that picking up Blessed is a sensible idea for classes such as this that offer only 4 steps of a Path

ETA: Replaced spell points with edge as the means of powering Bulwark

ETA: Reworked Bulwark to take into account the reduced pool of Edge that comes from halving the previous progression
    « Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:58:39 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Big_Jim
    Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 04:16:25 PM »

Is the free Refresh from the core ability using the value rolled on the action die boosting the attack/skill check or does it burn its own action die?
    Mister Andersen
    Control

View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:38:52 PM »

It wouldn't be free if you had to pay for it. Edited for clarity.

jameswllorimer
    Agent

"Alea iacta est" - The die is cast

View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:24:24 PM »

Surely the d12 per level vitality is a typo?
    Mister Andersen
    Control

View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 09:13:21 PM »

Yeah, it's still kinda my default thinking when it comes to identifying classes instead of fixed points.

Edit: Renamed This Is Sparta! to Agoge.
    « Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:21:10 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

jameswllorimer
    Agent

View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 09:25:30 PM »

Yeah, it's still kinda my default thinking when it comes to identifying classes instead of fixed points.

Edit: Renamed This Is Sparta! to Agoge.

Awwww any reference to 300 and I'm a happy man!
    Mister Andersen
    Control

View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 10:05:46 PM »

This Is Sparta! [style feat]
    There are consequences for imposing on you.
         Prerequisites: Will save bonus 3+
         Benefit: When you are targeted by an unsuccessful Influence or Intimidate check, including a Threat action, you gain 1 Edge. You may spend 2 Edge to target anyone who has made such a failed check against you during the current scene and inflict stress damage equal to your Appearance modifier (minimum 1).
    « Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:28:43 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

jameswllorimer
    Agent

View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 06:11:11 AM »

Nice!
    Valentina
    Control

View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 01:47:54 AM »

Hail!
    Sorry sorry, so sorry, for the very late reply. I am flattered, it is just darling, dahling.

I too want Superhuman back for both it's raw awesome and because of it breaking up the "big line of feat-likes" abilities. I can't really think of a good way to put this, but it's kind of like Crowd Control for the Counter-Terrorist. Something specific and shiny to the class that's more than just filling a potential dead level. Agoge is fine, I think, but....it's sort of like how a class should be more than Fight On for 5 levels of 10. if that makes sense. Also, it's good design to have flexibility of expression for varying interests, not every Avatar is an engine of destruction.

Also: I LOVE Bulwark. Like, I smile as I type this. I'm sure it's just my namesake, but I really like the idea of the Avatar being a Tank for her allies and friends. That term, Avatar, not just Super Human, but also Amazingly Human in so many good ways. Things that promote this are excellent in my eyes. =]

So yes, much love and respect, Mr. A. I am impressed, flattered, and pleased in equal proportions.  Cool

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
    Mister Andersen
    Control

View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 02:17:56 AM »

My main problem with superhuman was that when combined with Blockbuster things just got silly. However, I've just had a bit of a brainwave and have used the fact that Bulwark relies on Spell points in order to integrate the Brawn spells into the class. Admittedly it's only a +3 and and then a +5 boost, but I think it balances and scales better, and provides the character with what could be a very tough choice on how to deploy their abilities.

I'm sort of toying with the idea of offering Path of Beauty for Agoge but it feels a little too generous to do so.
    « Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:23:00 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Morgenstern
    Control

View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 04:47:19 AM »

I can't find my copy of The Shop at the moment for a more detailed comparison, but what you ahve there looks fairly flavorful.

I'd consider making the steps choice of Covert Feat or Step along the path (Covert covers a lot of mobility effects).

I've been planning a much needed nerf to Self-perfection - the scales for Attrbute bonuses are much more formalized now and +20 attribute points from a class is just too much. I'm also finding it better to split the game breaker off with a seperate anme alows you to have the first half appear in more than one class (future proofing). Otherwise it looks like the Legacy rules should give you the game breaker from taking the first half in two places and that way lies madness.

Suggest the following changes to ramp down the attribute buffs:

Adamant: At level 6, your three lowest attributes each rise by 1.

Self-Perfection: At level 10, your three lowest attributes each rise by 2, your other attributes each rise by 1.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
    How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
    Morgenstern
    Control

View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 04:57:12 AM »

Sizes are in "categories". Not grades Smiley.

I don't know if I'd invoke the refresh action rather than just awarding the vitality. Were you trying to make Lancers dramatically better at using this core ability?

Spellpoint progression is off. 1 per level.
    « Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:03:34 AM by Morgenstern » Logged

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
    How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
    Mister Andersen
    Control

View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 06:01:58 AM »

Sizes are in "categories". Not grades Smiley.

I don't know if I'd invoke the refresh action rather than just awarding the vitality. Were you trying to make Lancers dramatically better at using this core ability?

It seemed elegant to roll in a previous mechanic, and as you're not spending AD on a refresh action, the martial artist shouldn't be getting undue benefit (they only roll the 1 die to boost an attack) and the soldier would be getting increased vitality in any case but it could be interpreted as gaining 2 wounds per die spent. Specify a single refresh action perhaps?

glimmerrat
    Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 03:12:27 AM »

Its Remo Williams in a neat little package!

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    Valentina
    Control

View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 07:51:36 PM »

....waitasec.

Bulwark II: At level 8, you and your team mates also gain an amount of stress resistance equal to your subdual resistance.

So if an Avatar's got subdual resistance from a feat or item s/he also hands out an aura of "Be Cool, Yang"?

Like:
    "Hey, Shog-whatsit!" -*BKOOM*
    *scrEEEEEEEEeeeeeee*
    *spit* "Eat dirt, freak...I'm not afraid of anything I can't spell."

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
    Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
    « previous next »
    Jump to: