Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 02:41:18 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Fantasy Craft] Witch/Warlock class
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Fantasy Craft] Witch/Warlock class  (Read 2817 times)
Arovyn
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 08:10:18 AM »

Sorry for the long delay between responses. I work an overnight shift and I don't always get time to post when I like. I do like the Contractor specialty. I simply didn't stop to think of it in FC terms. I got stuck in a 3.5 mindset and completely forgot about Specialties altogether. Sad to say that I have only run a single FC game and it imploded due to a few players taking issue with the complexity of the system (the only other game they had played was 4th Ed D&D). They weren't quite ready for the transition.

What I will do is likely go with the Contractor. I may tweak it a bit, but we'll see. I still think a Familiar is a viable idea and I think you could make a Pact into a set of Spellcaster feats to go with it. I'll put some more thought in and see what I can come up with.

Thank you everyone for your time, input, and insight on this. Once I saw how the Specialty would work, everything started to click. When I finish the feat lines, I'll post those up for feedback. Thanks again for all of the help and insight.

Arovyn
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 03:56:39 PM »

Well, until Spellbound drops this is a servicable familiar mechanism.

Familiar (Spellcasting)
You have forged a bond with a magical creature of some sort.
Prerequisites: Player character only, Spellcasting 1+ ranks
Beneft: You control a non-animal NPC with an XP value no greater than 50 + 5 the permanent Spellcasting feats you have. You may choose your familiar from the Rogues Gallery or Bestiary (see pages 244 and 253) or build an original NPC with GM approval.
Your familiar may not possess temporary feats.
Your familiar is a special character with a Threat Level equal to your Career Level minus 4 (minimum 1). It gains no action dice but you may spend your action dice on his behalf.
Your familiar may not control additional characters.
If your familiar dies or is dismissed, you lose Reputation equal to your Career Level (its replaced in the following adventure).
Special: You may not gain this feat as a temporary feat.

Useful abilities to give the thing include Assistance, Blood Bound, and Watch Out!.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »

Arovyn,
Sorry, but I agree with the consensus here.  I can see how a D&D 3.5 player might currently struggle to convert their Warlock, but now I think a Contractor Channelor (perhaps with some specific feat line) should cover it nicely.

Yeah, it's nothing against what you've built, it's just that conversions don't work. I tried transferring the Champion of Gwynharwyf for a month and I couldn't make it work. But then Morg made the Golden Lion and it's perfect for the CoG and a dozen other DnD PrC classes.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 07:23:43 PM »

Arovyn,
Sorry, but I agree with the consensus here.  I can see how a D&D 3.5 player might currently struggle to convert their Warlock, but now I think a Contractor Channelor (perhaps with some specific feat line) should cover it nicely.
Yeah, it's nothing against what you've built, it's just that conversions don't work. I tried transferring the Champion of Gwynharwyf for a month and I couldn't make it work. But then Morg made the Golden Lion and it's perfect for the CoG and a dozen other DnD PrC classes.
That's because FantasyCraft and Morg are awesome.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 04:05:38 AM »

I think the area where there is some real potential for more D&D-to-base class conversion is with classes that get Circle of power in the 4/8/12/16/20 slots. "Full casters" are going to be well covered by Spellbound I suspect, but 'half casters' could branch out very effectively by having fewer class ability slots eaten up by their spellcasting. And without access to higher level spells, the can get by quite effectively with 1 spell point per level, which will give them a different spread on the class advancement table.

The trick will be to better standardize how the basic spellcasting is set up prior to gaining circle of power. A "path"-type introduciton at level 1 is an easily iterated format, but I'd like to get a solid 2/11/19 spellcasting stet up that can be reproduced. Something that leaves the level 1 slot open for establishing their non-casting shtick.

Alternatively a "half caster" could have their casting be introduced at level 3, with CoP coming at 7/11/15/19... That's actually a very useable arangment. Most D&D specialized casting classes only get up to spell level 4 anyway.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:17:10 AM by Morgenstern » Logged

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 04:20:17 AM »

I know not everyone follows Magic the Gathering mechanics with the glee that I do, but when I hear "Hex" as a game effect I can't help but think of this~

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=89059

"When killing five just isn't enough."

Which as a class ability works out to~

Hex: At level 14, once per session choose exactly 6 standard opponents you are able to see and hear. They die.

But I'm silly like that Smiley.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:24:38 AM by Morgenstern » Logged

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 04:26:32 AM »

Is the goal to create a Fantasycraft analog for the 3rd ed warlock? I want to make sure I'm looking at the right book. They were pretty clearly mimicing the World of Warcraft warlock - a lot more direct damage and a lot less variety of casting effects if I recall correctly.

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 05:26:13 AM »

Quote from: Morgenstern
Alternatively a "half caster" could have their casting be introduced at level 3, with CoP coming at 7/11/15/19... That's actually a very useable arangment. Most D&D specialized casting classes only get up to spell level 4 anyway.

I'd actually be tempted to put CoP as an E level ability, with B1 granting Spellcasting+starting schools+0-level spell use, and B2/B3 introducing additional schools+attribute bump. That way, you can have a full-length C ability or break it into Codd & Ceven as the class concept calls for. That would give you a 2/6/9/12/15/18 progression

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 05:51:23 AM »

My Hexblade addaptation uses a B1 set up and then CoP as the Ceven line. I don't like using E for it because it seems like too long of a gap between acquisition and advancement. Plus E has a bit wider range of choices as the ussual home of selectable abilites.

Arovyn
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 08:08:38 AM »

Is the goal to create a Fantasycraft analog for the 3rd ed warlock? I want to make sure I'm looking at the right book. They were pretty clearly mimicing the World of Warcraft warlock - a lot more direct damage and a lot less variety of casting effects if I recall correctly.

My original inspiration was the Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide Witch. Over time, it morphed a bit into the 4th Edition D&D Warlock concept. In the end it ended up being a strange mix of the Witch from the APG (Hexes), the 4E Warlock with 4E Familiar rules (it's just a construct, not a real beast or creature, hence why I have no intention of adapting Personal Lieutenant or Animal Partner). I wouldn't mind trying my hand at making a short caster (and I have one with only CoP I-V). The 3E Warlock was a pretty neat idea and they adapted it into two other flavors, if memory serves - a fae version and a celestial version. The default version was an infernal one. 4E then took the concept even farther with Dark, Fey, Infernal, Sorcerer-King, Star, and Vestige flavors. So when I started to change my ideas around, I began to think about maybe having my version of the witch something of a mix of Path and Spellcasting magics. I ultimately rejected the idea, but I can see ways to make it work.

I'm still working on flavorful and tasty Specialties, a Familiar line that isn't Personal Lieutenant in disguise (because I really don't like the idea), and maybe some form of Pact line or series of lines to imitate the different types of Powers-That-Be to bargain with. I'm thinking of using either Alignments or making a variant. There are plenty of generic ideas you can use.

Arovyn
Black_Irish
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 05:40:07 PM »

Spirit Vesssel
Bound within this container is the source of the magic user's power.
Item: Mage's Pouch, masterwork (2-handed item)
Charm: Lesser Spell Effect (Call From Beyond II 1 use per scene at Level 3)
Reputation Value: 3

Call From Beyond, in my mind, best represents a more classical and true vision of a familiar and by binding it to a mage's pouch one recreates a traditional spirit vessel. One can go further by binding an essence to it to imitate the effects of a 4E familiar. I would go so far as to consider making it an artifact that reveals further power as the magic user advances his/her craft...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: