Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2014, 09:28:19 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  101 ways to explain loss of prizes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 101 ways to explain loss of prizes  (Read 2485 times)
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 02:32:06 AM »

X+1: The magical energy enhancing the prize has been expended and it will take time for it to recharge, perhaps involving taking the item to a location rich in magical energy.

X+2: While away on their latest adventure, monsters invade the character's holding and must be evicted.

X+3: Your Contact was severely injured during a recent attack on their village and will unavailable until they have healed. You also have the option of tracking down the villains behind the attack, if you wish.

(I've deliberately used a generic numbering system because I can just edit it later)

EDIT: What I tried doing with my suggestions (as have some other posters) is not just take prizes away on a whim, but either give the players a way of getting them back, or offering them plot hooks relating to the loss of the prizes. Personally, I think this makes for better roleplaying, and a better mood at the gaming table.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:14:05 AM by Wolverine » Logged

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 02:39:03 AM »

X+4: The Prince of Thieves (no, not the guy in parachute pants) decides that he wants a five finger discount.  Feel free to give chase.  Magic carpet optional.

X+5: The remnants of the holding are now found in what can only be described as a massive chamber in a formerly buried dungeon.

X+6: The contact is missing.  No one has heard of him.  Different people are living in his house and his wife claims to be single.  Occasional glimpses of shadowy figures seem to tail the PC when she asks questions.

jameswllorimer
Agent

"Alea iacta est" - The die is cast

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 05:54:17 AM »

X+7: The magic weapon you were using to defeat a monster became lodged in its thick hide, just before it ran away wounded.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 08:05:29 AM »

X+7: The magic weapon you were using to defeat a monster became lodged in its thick hide, just before it ran away wounded.

Ah, Krull. Also, KotOR

ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 09:18:52 AM »

X+8 ... The characters pay a visit to the local madam... only to wake up in the hold of ship without their gear, but dressed and outfitted to help fight in a war between two countries that they've never even heard of.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Nova
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »

X+9: Your apalling treatment of your relaxation aid caused a local fey to take pity on its state and grant it life. Now it wants revenge.

X+10: No one ever bothered asking them to make the flat roof tough enough for the drake to nest on. No, no one could really assume he'd want to use the roof. Seriously guys. You made it with frickin HAY.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 06:50:46 PM »

This is the one I am using for my current game.

X+Y:  Much like Keeps and Castles, Magic Items must be maintained, requiring expensive and hard to find magical materials and hard to perform incantations and rituals.  Items that are not properly maintained cease to function and the magic becomes dormant.  The more Renown a character has, the easier it is for the character to open and sustain the channels needed to acquire the necessary materials and rituals required.

Someone could accumulate several magic items but only be able to make certain items active for any given adventure.  This could also explain why the party may occasionally find magic items that their opponent's weren't using but appeared during a treasure roll.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »

31? Magical fields that surround items conflict with each other, causing them to cease functioning. Legendary heroes have their own magical fields that assists in overcoming this drawback.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 05:25:48 PM »

32ish:  The item is being examined by top men.  TOP men.
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 04:47:27 AM »

33 Your friendly, chatty, sentient item that's always been so helpful turns out to be a villain, and Must Be Destroyed.  Who'dathunk it?
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 04:53:40 AM »

32ish:  The item is being examined by top men.  TOP men.

I've used that one, to mixed response.

36 [Because I counted them]: The Prize turns out to be vampiric, powering itself by draining your life slowly.  Do you want to die young, or give up the prize?
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 06:06:23 AM »

37. "What miserable drones and traitors have I nourished and brought up in my household, who let their lord be treated with such shameful contempt by a low-born cleric?"

Fortinbras
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 06:40:19 PM »

38. "This thing? No, that's definitely not magical. Never has been, I've got an eye for these things. Perhaps you're just better than you thought, eh?"
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 07:53:59 PM »

39. "There comes a time, thief, when the jewels cease to sparkle, when the gold loses its luster, when the throne room becomes a prison, and all that is left is a father's love for his child."

40. "Where is the Eye of the Serpent? Rexor says that you gave to a girl, probably for a mere night's pleasure, hmm? What a loss. People have no grasp of what they do. You broke into my house, stole my property, murdered my servants, and my PETS! And that is what grieves me the most! You killed my snake. Thorgrim is beside himself with grief! He raised that snake from the time it was born."

Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 08:21:04 PM »

41 "He's left you Bag End along with all his possessions." 
Or I guess the other way around in this case.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: