Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 05:40:51 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  101 ways to explain loss of prizes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 101 ways to explain loss of prizes  (Read 2440 times)
Zetesofos
Recruit

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2011, 05:56:56 PM »

As a disclaimer, I don't consider myself a mean GM that plans on taking away every good reward given to my players.   I love the prizes system of fantasy craft, having always hated the christmas trees in 'that other game'.   

But, that being said, i imagine with my playinig style, that prizes may be swapping in and out alot during levels, and I was looking more in story reasons as to why certain prizes (particularly magic items) might be removed from the players, if only temporary.  Things to keep in mind I though of were taking away some prizes and not others, and limiting it to just loss of prize, and not an adventure or combat.

So, to the forums, just give a post with a plausible explination as to why a prize of any time would be removed from a player (either with or without their 'character consent', as well if it would be temporary or permanently.

1. Collectors from (Insert Organization Name) have targeted the player upon discover that they have an item that is too dangerous to be held by them
LHG
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 06:55:28 PM »

The 500xp troll that lives under the bridge that is the only way into or out of their holding demands a magical item in payment for each crossing of the group.
Doublebond
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 07:04:55 PM »

3. The player runs afoul of a deity in the setting who causes the magic item in question to explode in their face, inflicting 2d6 + [item level] explosive or divine damage.

4. The player mishandles the item in question and causes it to explode (see above) on his own. Idiot.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:07:53 PM by Doublebond » Logged
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:05:51 PM »

5.  The prize was temporary from the beginning - the local lord wanted a rampaging bandit's magical sword as proof you had killed him [perhaps the sword was stolen, perhaps the lord is just greedy].

6.  You "donate" the prize as a means of fostering good will with a local organisation [perhaps relics aid their memory].
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 07:57:06 PM »

7. The prize has finally accumulated enough X to become a god.  And it will not dain to be a tool of mortals.

8. The prize was actually a psychic manifestation your mind had come up with to aid you in the current crisis.  The crisis is now over, so you no longer need the item.

9.The prize has spontaneously turned into a very attractive member of the preferred sex. Wink
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 09:05:51 PM »

11. The Great Arseoli

Zdan
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 09:23:20 PM »

12. The prize was crafted for specific reason and for this reason only. Upon completing the quest at hand the prize loses it's magical nature becoming a normal item of it's sort.
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 09:24:07 PM »

13. The light of the harvest moon turned it to dust.

14. It's magic has slowly worn away, leaving traces of mystic energy on everything it has come in contact with over the last 70 years.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 09:26:04 PM »

15.  The prize gets hit with a rogue polymorph effect, and becomes a totally different (yet still useful) prize. 
Doublebond
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 09:53:06 PM »

10. The PCs learn that the weapon isn't waterproof. The hard way.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 10:25:16 PM »

17 (and I'm skipping a number because everyone else has been forgetting LHG's suggestion). Sure, you won a castle. But you just don't make the sort of money you need to support it, and there's a war on, and the Regent has been really pernickety about people paying their taxes this year.

Doublebond
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 10:40:28 PM »

(and I'm skipping a number because everyone else has been forgetting LHG's suggestion)

I don't follow. Zetesofos got the first one, LHG got the second, although he didn't mark it, and then I got the third and forth, and marked appropriately.

16. The owner the PCs got the item from was not in fact the original or legitimate owner of the item, and said original, rightful owner has finally caught up to the PCs, and wants the item back.
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 10:56:02 PM »

Heh, nice catch.

17. The item turns to liquid and is absorbed into the PC's body.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 01:54:26 AM »

18. They combine the two prizes into something else.

You know, like the hero combines the weird magic absorbing gold chain he had since second level with the powerful dagger he just found and the soul of his friend who was just killed to make a new much more powerful long knife.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:00:40 AM by Krensky » Logged

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 01:58:11 AM »

19. Your Holding isn't fireproof either.

20. The black plague strikes the kingdom and your Contact is among the victims.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: