Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 04, 2015, 07:58:27 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  New Expert Class: The Aegis (Henshin Hero)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Expert Class: The Aegis (Henshin Hero)  (Read 623 times)
TKDB
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 11:07:48 PM »

Looks like I went on got all verbose and wall-o'-text-y again, so I'm going to partition this into spoilered chunks in the hopes of making it a bit more easily digestible...

Essentially, what you need is something that (1) evokes the idea of a "transformation", (2) is roughly as appealing for constructs as gaining the construct type is for non-constructs, and (3) is defensive in nature (at least in part).

First and foremost:
(click to show/hide)

Secondly:
(click to show/hide)

Finally (and of least importance, though still something to strive for):
(click to show/hide)

My suggestion for a constructs' version that might hold up against the version for non-constructs would be something like this:
     Henshin (Stance): When you enter this stance, you gain two Species feats with the Unborn species or Construct type as prerequisites as temporary feats for the duration of the stance, ignoring "Level 1 only" prerequisites. If a feat has multiple options (eg, Special Construction), you may select it even if you already have that feat, provided you select a different option each time. Also, once per round when you defeat an adversary, you may gain 1 Edge. Finally, as a free action, you may spend any amount of Edge to gain a morale bonus to Defense or to all saving throws equal to twice the amount spent in this way for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier. You do not leave this stance if you become prone or sprawled, but you must leave it at the end of combat.

(click to show/hide)
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 04:25:02 AM »

Yet another alternative suggestion: have the version for someone who's already a construct transform them into a construct that's downright terrifying and nigh-indestructible; an unstoppable mechanical force.

In other words, have it grant the Horror type.  

(EDIT: I may have been channelling Neon Genesis Evangelion a little here).

Also, to balance out the fact you're handing out such powerful things, maybe slap some extra restriction on both versions of the stance, e.g. a time limit linked to Aegis class level on how many rounds you can stay in the stance per scene.  EDIT: or a fixed time limit which a later class ability strips away.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 05:01:32 AM by paddyfool » Logged
TKDB
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 08:55:33 PM »

So, I've been on a bit of a Symphogear kick these past couple weeks, and that's had me thinking about this class again. And the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that giving the full Construct type at level 1 is too much. It's just way too ridiculously dippable.

What would you say to changing It's Morphin' Time! to the following, splitting it across levels 1/5/9:

(click to show/hide)
The main thing that makes the Construct type so awesome is the complete immunity to subdual and stress damage. Splitting that immunity apart helps make the class less ridiculously good for a 1-level dip. At level 1, the stance still confers some very substantial benefits: Most of the condition immunities of the Construct type are there; I left grade I susceptible to bleeding, since it's a pretty minor condition for a PC and I think it makes a nice heroic visual; to enraged because it's not too uncommon to see transforming heroes of this archetype sometimes falling into violent frenzies, so it's thematically appropriate as something that takes a bit more effort to get immunity to; and to paralyzed because it's a fairly uncommon effect and provides a potential weakness for the beginning Aegis since it can make you helpless and therefore break the stance. It also confers substantial resilience against sneak attack, subdual, and stress...but not complete immunity just yet. You get damage defiance, and for subdual and stress you can effectively ignore them entirely while you're in the stance (since you're unaffected by fatigued and shaken even if you have the conditions), but it'll catch up with you after the fact. Thus, while you're still quite the juggernaut while transformed, there's a substantial risk of zonking right out once you leave the stance. (This also makes the fatigue upon leaving the stance more relevant, especially for those who might simply dip the class, since you can't simply nix combat as a source of fatigue entirely -- just ignore any fatigue you gain during a particular combat.)

The full benefits of the Construct type kick in at level 5, then at level 9 I figured giving ferocity would be a good next upgrade to provide given how nice it is for constructs (which all users of the class will be while in stance at that point). It's effectively 24 additional wounds worth of combat-capability while in stance...though if you let yourself go to -10 or lower you'll be in big trouble if your natural form isn't a construct!

For native constructs, I've also added in some resilience against crits, helping to shore up the "durability" aspect of the stance's theme.

This setup would of course mean bonus feats can only be given at level 3 and level 7. Also, since the first instance of Body of Iron will be gained before the stance actually grants non-constructs the Construct type, that ability will likely need a bit of a slight wording tweak to ensure proper compatibility:

Body of Iron: At Levels 4 and 8, you gain a bonus Species feat that applies only while you are in Henshin stance. These feats must have the Unborn species or Construct type as a prerequisite; however, you may ignore this prerequisite and any "Level 1 only" prerequisites. If a feat has multiple options (as in the case of Special Construction, for example), you may select it even if you already have that feat, provided you select a different option each time. Additionally, your Constitution increases by 1 at each of these levels.
Mutt
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 09:44:10 PM »

Wow! I just want to say, thank you so much for that separation! I've been wracking my brain over what to do and how to split the ability; I knew that it needed a 1/5/9 split like the Feral Heart does, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how exactly to split it. And then, like a bolt from the sky, you come in and get everything perfect. It's exactly how I envisioned the 'fixed' version should go.

My hero!  Grin
TKDB
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 10:35:18 PM »

Well, uh, that's a bit more ecstatic a response than I'd anticipated, but...you're welcome!

It took me quite awhile to hit on that approach myself. I knew awhile back that something like splitting the Construct benefits in half between level 1 and 5 with ferocity at level 9 would be a good way to go, but any way I tried to divvy up the Construct immunities was either too strong (ie, total immunity to subdual and stress at level 1) or didn't quite capture the theme (ie, no defenses against one of subdual or stress at level 1).

And then today I thought to myself, "If only it could be, like, half-immune... Wait. That's it!"

I guess good ideas for hot-blooded heroic classes just come easier when you've spent a good week or two listening mainly to hot-blooded heroic music  Grin
Curator
Agent

Leaves a lot unfini

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 07:21:11 AM »

So, I've been on a bit of a Symphogear kick these past couple weeks, and that's had me thinking about this class again. And the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that giving the full Construct type at level 1 is too much. It's just way too ridiculously dippable.

What would you say to changing It's Morphin' Time! to the following, splitting it across levels 1/5/9:

I'd say "This Kid's Da Best"
TKDB
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 04:32:54 PM »

I'd say "This Kid's Da Best"

Amusingly, that's pretty close to what my handle actually stands for.
TKDB
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 01:45:55 PM »

It occurred to me that a lot of characters in this vein have full-blown flight capabilities beyond what Floater is capable of, and given that full flight is already something relatively easily accessible through Species feats in general, I thought "why not have a follow-up feat to improve Floater to full-blown flight?"

Flyer
Your levitation capabilities are more advanced than most.
Prerequisites: Floater
Benefit: Your flight speed improves to 60 ft, you are no longer limited in how far you may rise above the ground.

Might technically have some hiccups in compatibility with Body of Iron, since the standard format for higher-tier feats is to not repeat prereqs of the feats it requires. So it doesn't have "Unborn" or "Construct" as a prereq, meaning that it can't be selected with Body of Iron as-written. On the other hand, the rules for restricted feats (p. 84 of the FC core book) mean that an Aegis with Floater as a Body of Iron feat could take Flyer with a regular feat slot, gaining its benefits only when transformed (and therefore benefiting from Floater), since Body of Iron is worded as a bonus feat with conditional application rather than a temporary feat. Could add "or requiring a feat with the Unborn species or Construct type as a prerequisite" to the wording on Body of Iron, but I don't know that it's really a significant enough detail to justify the extra verbiage.

(I also note that this temporary vs. restricted feat distinction is also important for Unborn Aegises interested in Special Construction: Living Metal, since it means that it functions differently if picked via the Henshin stance itself vs. if picked via Body of Iron. As a temporary feat from the stance, you can pick a different pair of proficiencies each time, making it a great option for tactical flexibility; as a restricted feat from Body of Iron, you aren't losing and regaining the feat, but rather taking it once permanently but only applying it when transformed, so you'd have to pick the proficiencies upon gaining the feat and then they're locked in.)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: