Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 01, 2015, 09:50:31 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [New Pie] Backgrounds for a Post-Apocalypse (Origins field test)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [New Pie] Backgrounds for a Post-Apocalypse (Origins field test)  (Read 301 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 09:21:03 AM »

With field medicine swapped in Valkyrie looks very cool Smiley.

Going over wave 1:

Courier: While I agree flashy has a name that discourages it's use (I was a bit surprised safe house keyed to panache rather than prudence), celebrated still seems like a similarly odd choice by name. Paired skills should be Athletics and Intuition.

This. I mean, I sort of get where the idea is coming from because revealing you have a safehouse/weapons cache is typically presented as a moment of cool, but yeah, to me having the foresight to establish a safehouse screams  prudence. It might be wothwhile suggesting it to Pat & Alex for the next round of eratta they mentioned  little while back, or simply just rule zero it in the New Pie as working that way.

When I was building it, given my previously noted inspiration, the Legend boost seemed appropriate for the character operating solo or part of a team. But maybe Glory Bound would be a better fit.

Enforcer: This is one of those names to conjure with. Devotee raises some situational concerns, but lets roll with it for now.

I'll point again to my comments in the basic combat specialty thread; I see a generic muscle for hire as being named Goon or Thug, because part of the mystique of the title is that a true enforcer believes in the cause rather than the paycheck. Plus you get the fun of hitting them up with a loss of faith subplot before they eventually side with the rebels. So yeah, totally Equilibrium's fault (which appropriately is a post-apocalypse story, sort of like an anti-Appleseed).

Idealist: Mass encouragement is neat. I reserve the option to rename it later as similar iterations clarify the namespace.

Yeah, it's pretty much a placeholder. I was thinking St Crispin's Day, but thought that might have more cachet as a class ability. Hero's Duty maybe?

Messenger: Not what I was expecting, but the flavor text clears that right up. How are you liking the cleaned up text for multiple copies of beguiling?

Very nice. But yes, Messenger is a shot at the Street Preacher archetype with an eye to the Indoctrinated from Mass Effect.

Outrider: Would replace 'walk' with 'scout' in the flavor text. Lookin' good.

Went with 'roam'. I like the sense of openess the word conveys.

Road Warrior: That looks surprisingly bad ass. Like the use of extra proficiency for flexibility. Looking forward to resurrecting the Chase tree as part of the Transport tree and seeing that feat there reminds me why Smiley.

I do miss it some times, though you could argue a fair few feats could probably live in the Style tree if you needed to. I was extremely tempted to go with Charging Basics on the grounds of it being perfect for drive-bys and street jousting but ultimately went with the feat since I saw you had a Transport tree option in the benefits list.

Slaver: Rider makes me cock my head to one side. Not sure it's universally applicable to "slavers". Menacing threat is another example of my trying to tighten up the multiple copies text.

I was thinking about Animal Trainer as the field of choice to represent breaking in slaves, but the mention of livestock immediately made me think of both cattle mustering as well as the whole raid on the Cimmerian village at the start of Conan the Barbarian.

Survivalist: Love the flavor text. Explain free hint to me (good ability, just want to understand the context).

Call it a sort of spidersense idea, I guess. That nebulous something that lets them suss out a situation and choose  the right option to get through it rather than the most obvious one (or lack of one).

Trekker: Rename overland travel 'shortcut'. I think you could find something better than field medicine. Unless this is just totally Aragorn Wink.

It kinda is, but I'm not really wedded to it. Instinctive Focus fits the writeup.

Vagabond: Extra proficiency and odd jobs seems suitable and deliberately generic. I feel like Practiced athletics could be exchanges with something more flavorful.

Clean & Spotless for the irony value?

Visionary: Tentatively good on the naming for Well-heeled (mechanic is fine, of course). Another solid "complete character concept in a 7 point bag". It sets a high bar.

Nice work. Looking forward to seeing what other ideas the genre spawns Grin.

Thanks Cool.

[/quote]

Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 10:38:45 AM »

I'll point again to my comments in the basic combat specialty thread; I see a generic muscle for hire as being named Goon or Thug, because part of the mystique of the title is that a true enforcer believes in the cause rather than the paycheck. Plus you get the fun of hitting them up with a loss of faith subplot before they eventually side with the rebels. So yeah, totally Equilibrium's fault (which appropriately is a post-apocalypse story, sort of like an anti-Appleseed).

So if I've understood you correctly, then the Operative from Serenity could be an example Enforcer?

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 10:47:37 AM »

So if I've understood you correctly, then the Operative from Serenity could be an example Enforcer?

Oooo. I like it. Poster child for Allegiance (Alliance). He carries himself in a very cultured fashion, but when the fisticuffs start, he's kinda a badass. Seems to fit all the benefits offered in this version nicely.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 11:27:45 AM »

Exactly.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 09:26:17 AM »

Tthe first pass of the 2nd wave of backgrounds is done.

Of note I've changed the language of Field Medicine to specify checks using the Doctor field so I could then have the newly minted MacGuyver allow Profession checks as though in posession of a mechanic's kit as an engine is an engine. I also went [Fieldname]+ as a benefit name so I could give a specific field plus the (implicit) option to select a related field as a single bullet point.

See below for the home of any new feats that show up in the various backgrounds; Device Basics (used by the Trapper) swaps out Prestidigitation as an Origin skill in the mastercraft version for the Site Security field. On a related note, from wave 1 the Courier now gets Safehouse Basics, while the Vagabond now gets World Traveller Basics.

Chieftain -> Champion
Drifter -> Valkyrie
Ex-Mayor -> Retiree
Fur Trapper -> Trapper
Village Headman -> Scion
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:51:14 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Azure Gothic
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 01:07:25 AM »

• Archivist
  • Atomic Priest
  • Blacksmith
  • Brewer
  • Carpenter
  • Cook
  • Engineer
  • Gang Member
  • Midwife / Nurse
  • Translator Interpreter
  • Prostitute
  • Ranch Hand
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 03:08:44 PM »

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:25:49 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Mutt
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 03:56:20 PM »

Aah! Big text scares me, Andersen!

EDIT: Also, World Traveler BMS steps on the toes of both Depth of Study and Linguist. I would suggest pointing out that World Traveler replaces those, if you're going to keep them as they are.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:00:23 PM by Mutt » Logged
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 03:59:36 PM »

Gah, I've been closing out with [/url] all morning for some reason. Well guess that means folks are paying attention at least Wink.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 07:55:27 PM »

Aah! Big text scares me, Andersen!

EDIT: Also, World Traveler BMS steps on the toes of both Depth of Study and Linguist. I would suggest pointing out that World Traveler replaces those, if you're going to keep them as they are.

Not really. Well Travelled is as World Traveller BMS as Broad Learning is to Depth of Study and Linguist is to Polyglot.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: