Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2014, 03:25:59 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Class creation guidelines.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Class creation guidelines.  (Read 344 times)
Nuaurpy
Operative

The Shadow knows.

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2013, 10:41:11 PM »

I was looking for Class creation guidelines, much like the origin creation guidelines, I could have sworn I remember seeing them in past but now I can't seem to track them down. Do they exist or am I misremembering?
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 01:17:39 AM »

http://www.crafty-games.com/content/class-creation-guidelines
Nuaurpy
Operative

The Shadow knows.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 01:25:52 AM »

Perfect! I had managed to figure out a lot of the numbers (8 points for your stats and low vit means high skills and vise versa), but this really helps for ability progression and lays my concerns about being incorrent to rest.
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 01:27:50 AM »

I tested out all of the FC Base/Expert classes. They do follow the progression, though they sometimes break up the levels. Like instead of 3/6/9/12/15/18, they'll have one at 3/9/15 and another at 6/12/18. Or something like that, I'd have to look through my old notes.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 07:44:49 AM »

That's a normal form - the resulting abilities are called Codd and Ceven. In a base class, D can also be divided into Dodd and Deven. That page is good but there are several discussions about class design that didn't get folded in yet. A big one that comes to mind is what sort of attribute bumps can be put in each slot and at what levels base class abilities can migrate into expert class slots. Relative potency of slot is also loosely defined, but is a bit more philosophical than hard templating Smiley.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Lifer4700
Operative

Professional Thread Necro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 03:34:40 PM »

I like the Class Creation Guidelines page, I think it's a fantastic guide even for simply modifying an existing class.

I do have some questions, however, about it.

Vitality & Skills
------------------
The table in this section seems to be incorrect.  The Base Vitality column shows Low-Med-High as 6, 9, 12, as I would expect.  However, the other two columns show the reverse order from what I would expect.  Also, the text below the table does not make sense to me.

Are there point values associated with each of these progressions, as there are with the Advancement section?  Otherwise, why not just pick High vitality progression, High class skills, and high skill points?

Advancement
-----------------
Love it!  Works well, and certainly helps lay things out.  8 points for 9 columns.

Starting Proficiencies
--------------------------
Well defined, nothing missing here.  More good stuff!

Class Abilities
-----------------
As you mentioned, there is more information that could go here to help determine what kinds of abilities should go in which kinds of slots, which ones are probably worth more than others, etc.

What's already here is a great foundation.  I've already used it to 'massage' an existing class into something slightly different by replacing one of the ability skeletons with another set.

I would love to see this fleshed out, but I understand that it would be a huge undertaking, and is mostly just guesswork anyway.  More of an art than a science.

Class Requirements
-------------------------
Again, well defined.  Great guidelines, good stuff!

Thank you, Morgenstern!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:37:09 PM by Lifer4700 » Logged
Morganti
Handler

Endless Eternity, Eternally Endless.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 03:55:04 PM »

The Vitality/Skills/Skill points are linked.

Low: 6 Vitality, You have 12 skills, and 8 base skill points per level
Medium: 9 Vitality, 10 Skills, 6 Skill points per level
High: 12 Vitality, 8 Skills, and 4 Skill points per level

The squishier you are, the more skills and skill points you get.

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
Lifer4700
Operative

Professional Thread Necro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 04:35:33 PM »

Ah, ok!  That makes sense.  It's the game's imposed balance between brains and brawn.

Then the only thing I question is the text below the table that says, "... very combat oriented classes ... use the first option, ... skill-based classes taking the later options"

That is backward.  The combat oriented classes would want the last option, named "High".  Whereas the skill classes would want the first, named "Low"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: