Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2014, 11:18:28 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Ruin Runner (Expert class)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ruin Runner (Expert class)  (Read 577 times)
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2013, 07:29:38 PM »

Ok, so a new campaign is starting, and exploration of the Gods-nuked Maelstrom Wastes is the focus. So a class was envisioned as the guy who wanders the wastes, looking for the ruined cities  that are now covered with the shifting sands of 100,000 square miles of former heartland - and loot them. In that vein, may I present the Ruin Runner.

Link goes to my PDF post (This is how I'm gonna do "final version PDFs" from now on. That way, users can always find the most up to date and finalized version of a class's PDF and not have dead links when I clean up my Google Drive.

http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6677.msg118698#msg118698

RUIN RUNNER (EXPERT)

The oldest profession in most kingdoms isn’t prostitution; it’s “killing monsters and taking their stuff”. However, dungeons aren’t found on every corner – no, you’ll have to hit the road and go elsewhere for your needs. Often times this also means traveling into truly hazardous terrain – vast deserts, the deepest jungles, frozen wastelands and the darkest depths of the underearth. And once you get there, it’s a ram-shackled, trap-riddled ruin that is just as likely to kill you as any denizens. Luckily, the Ruin Runner is right at home in this kind of situation. Terrain that would give the most hardened barbarian pause is a walk in the park, and dilapidated abandoned outposts or crumbling caverns are an open invitation to see what’s inside- and take it.
Depending on your campaign, a Ruin Runner could be...
•   A cunning native guide, living off the same land he knows like the back of his hand.
•   An intrepid explorer who finds hidden temples of the ancients and plunders them of their treasures.
•   A military scout, operating deep in enemy territory for extended periods of time.
•   A stalwart caravan master, traveling across inhospitable lands to deliver rare goods for a premium price.
•   An expatriate adventurer, who dreams of finding the fabled lost cities of gold – and surviving their dangers.

Party Role: Backer. The Ruin Runner is very good at getting the party from point A to point B, especially across hazardous terrain – and continues to be useful at the destination.

CLASS FEATURES
Requirements: Study (Archeology or Ruins), Dexterity 13+, Survival 4+, Pathfinder Basics feat
Favored Attributes: Dexterity, Wisdom, Constitution
Caster: Each level in this class increases your Casting Level by 1.
Class Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Blend, Haggle, Impress, Investigate, Notice, Prestidigitation, Resolve, Search, Sneak, Survival
Skill Points: 8 + Int mod per Level
Vitality: 6 + Con mod per Level

CORE ABILITY
Scrappin’ By: When you know the land, you can eat without even slowing down.  While in a terrain covered by one of your Pathfinder Basics feats, your Forage checks only require 2 hours and your DC is never modified by Push Limit benefits (Fantasy Craft, page 82).
Scrappin’ By: You can find food in the most barren of places. While in a terrain covered by your Pathfinder Basics feat(s), you may make a Forage check as a free action while Travelling (see Fantasy Craft, page 371) or reduce a normal Forage check's duration to 1 hour.
CLASS ABILITIES
Always Moving: At Levels 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9, you take a step on the Path of Travel. You caster level is equal to your career level for this ability.
Always Moving: You’ve learned some minor magics that are indispensable for someone like you. At Levels 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9, you take a step on the Path of Travel.
If you’ve already completed this Path, you gain a Terrain feat instead.
Man Of The Land I: At Level 2, you gain the Pathfinder Mastery feat. Also, your Strength is considered 3 higher for carrying capacity.
Man Of The Land II: At Level 7, you gain the Pathfinder Supremacy feat. Also, your Strength is considered 3 higher for carrying capacity. (total increase 6).
Keep Up! I: At Level 2, as a free action, you may spend an Action Die and choose a number of allies that can see or hear you up to the number of terrain feats you possess. You grant your travel speed to the chosen allies for the current period of travel. Also, your Strength is considered 3 higher for carrying capacity.
Keep Up! II: At Level 7, as a free action, you may spend an Action Die and choose a number of allies that can see or hear you up to the number of terrain feats you possess. You grant your base ground speed to the chosen allies for the duration of the scene. Also, your Strength is considered 3 higher for carrying capacity (total of 6).
Bonus Feat: At Levels 4 and 8, you gain 1 additional Covert or Terrain feat.
Bonus Feat: At Levels 4, 6, and 8, you gain 1 additional Covert or Terrain feat.
Survivalist: You excel at living a hard scrabble life in the field. At Level 4, each time you fail an Athletics or Survival check and don’t suffer an error, you still succeed as long as the check DC (or your opponent’s check result) is equal to or less than your Class Level + 20. If several grades of success are possible, you achieve only the lowest possible positive result.
If you gain this ability for either skill from two or more classes, add together your levels in all classes granting the ability when determining its effect.
There And Back Again: On your watch, everybody’s gonna make it back. At Level 6, you gain the The Extra Mile feat. Also, your error range with Survival skill checks decreases by 1 (minimum 0).
In Your Element: At level 8, while in a terrain covered by one of your Pathfinder Basics feats, when you roll an action die, the result increases by 2.
Spoils And Cunning: Time to break out a few of the toys you picked up along the way… and remember to warn everybody to "watch your step". At Level 10, your maximum Prizes increase by 2 and you gain 200 Reputation that must immediately be spent on magic items. Also, when making a REF saving throw, you and allies that can see or hear you may roll twice, keeping the result you prefer.
Dungeon Master: You've survived doing this for this long because of two things: A number of useful toys and a sixth sense for danger. At Level 10, once per scene, you may produce a magic item with a Reputation cost of up to 5 × the permanent Terrain feats you have using the I Have One of Those! perk. The action die cost is 1 per 5 Reputation of the item's cost (rounded up). Items gained this way cannot be traded or sold and leave play at the end of the scene. Your use of this perk does not count towards your party's limit of player perks. Also, when making a Reflex save, you and allies that can see or hear you may roll twice, keeping the result you (or they) prefer.

BAB Med
Fort Med
Ref High
Will Med
Def Med
Init Med
Lifestyle Low
Legend Med

Table X.X: Ruin Runner
Level   BAB   Fort   Ref   Will   Def   Init   Lifestyle   Legend   Abilities
1   +0   +1   +2   +1   +1   +1   +0   +1   Always moving (1 step), scrappin’ by
2   +1   +2   +3   +2   +1   +1   +0   +1   Keep Up! I Man of the land I (+3)
3   +2   +2   +3   +2   +2   +2   +1   +2   Always moving (1 step)
4   +3   +2   +4   +2   +2   +2   +1   +2   Bonus feat, survivalist,
5   +3   +3   +4   +3   +3   +3   +1   +3   Always moving (1 step)
6   +4   +3   +5   +3   +4   +4   +2   +3   Bonus feat There and back again
7   +5   +4   +5   +4   +4   +4   +2   +4   Always moving (1 step), Keep Up! II Man of the land II (+6)
8   +6   +4   +6   +4   +5   +5   +2   +4   Bonus feat, in your element
9   +6   +4   +6   +4   +5   +5   +3   +5   Always moving (1 step)
10   +7   +5   +7   +5   +6   +6   +3   +5   Dungeon master Spoils and cunning
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:35:26 PM by Big_Jim » Logged
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 08:39:01 PM »

Minor edit: You mean level 10 under Spoils and Cunning.
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 09:22:10 PM »

Doh! You are correct.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:43:02 PM »

"Caster level" for paths granted by expert classes is typivally equal to your level in that class, not career level. I'd also consider something to handle the possibility that a character has preexisting steps in path of travel -- which as a generic path is available from career level 1 -- before entering the class

Gatac
Handler

The power of Stark compels you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 04:27:47 AM »

My thoughts:

There's a lot of bonus feats in this class - two flexible and three explicit ones. That plus the step on the Travel path makes it feel like it's a bit light on its own class abilities, you know? There's no need to reinvent the wheel, sure, but what really sets the class apart? What's the central mechanic you're pushing? If it's dungeoneering and looting and carting all that crap back home, you may want to look at gear feats and treasure rolls.

The core ability is a bit weak imo - it only affects one skill check, for starters, the DC adjustment for Push Limit is not super-relevant to a class with flawless Survival, and the time reduction on the check is only by half, and it's limited to Pathfinder territories. For what it's worth, I ran into a similar problem with the Sentinel - it makes sense to give a flawless Survival, but that also means boosting individual checks of the Survival skill is not gonna have that much effect. How about this:

Keep up!: You may spend an action die to grant an ally within 50 feet your overland speed for a number of hours equal to the result of the die or your tactical speed for a number of rounds equal to the result.

That'll synergize with the massive Speed increase from the Path of Travel, since one of the big drawbacks I see with that is simply not being to use it much for actual traveling with the rest of the party.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 04:29:28 AM by Gatac » Logged
snake
Handler

Its all in the reflexes !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 07:10:17 AM »

Hi Big_Jim,

Like the Ruin Runner a lot. I think it would fit nicely in a couple of my favourite types of campaigns.

1) Conan. In some Conan stories, some barbarian, soldier or Burglar characters progress from robbing/looting urban wizards towers and magical treasure houses to raiding desert outposts of the Stygian Empire (Black Colossus) or abandoned jungle cities (Teeth of Gwahlur).

They'll some times use special items picked up along the way (eg poisoned daggers, strong ropes or even an odd protection spell) to help them brave the dangers of these deadly ruins. I think your Spoils and Cunning ability covers that.

2) Post Apoc Science Fantasy. Sounds like your setting is PA already, so I think it wouldn't take much to make your Ruin Runner into a Scavenger, looting the remains of New York.  

Cool.

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever !!!
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 03:01:15 PM »

"Caster level" for paths granted by expert classes is typivally equal to your level in that class, not career level.

Actually, all published expert classes that have paths also grant caster levels up in the class features section, but I see your point. I've made the class do the same - the path of travel steps represent the character picking up minor magics to perform better as much as just moving faster.

I'd also consider something to handle the possibility that a character has preexisting steps in path of travel -- which as a generic path is available from career level 1 -- before entering the class

You're absolutely correct - I thought paths were included in the Fantasy Craft standard of "If you already have the granted thingy, then you get a thingy of the same category that you qualify for." But that's just proficiencies and feats. So I added a rider just like the Force of Nature's.

My thoughts:

There's a lot of bonus feats in this class - two flexible and three explicit ones. That plus the step on the Travel path makes it feel like it's a bit light on its own class abilities, you know? There's no need to reinvent the wheel, sure, but what really sets the class apart? What's the central mechanic you're pushing? If it's dungeoneering and looting and carting all that crap back home, you may want to look at gear feats and treasure rolls.

Touche.
 It does seen to be heavily about the travel aspect, and a bit lighter on the dungeoneering side, but that's on purpose. Dungeoneering is a major focus of the explorer base class, and I didn't want to stomp all over that. Likewise, there's nothing out there that really helps the party get to the inaccessible adventure location - and that's a perfect fit for the pathfinder(s) chain. Sure, Scrappin' By and In Your Element could play off terrain studies instead, but pathfinder basics brings so much terrain featured goodness each time you take it, that it feels like an integral part of the class.

Even taking all that into account, it is feat heavy. I'll review options.

The core ability is a bit weak imo - it only affects one skill check, for starters, the DC adjustment for Push Limit is not super-relevant to a class with flawless Survival, and the time reduction on the check is only by half, and it's limited to Pathfinder territories. For what it's worth, I ran into a similar problem with the Sentinel - it makes sense to give a flawless Survival, but that also means boosting individual checks of the Survival skill is not gonna have that much effect. How about this:

Keep up!: You may spend an action die to grant an ally within 50 feet your overland speed for a number of hours equal to the result of the die or your tactical speed for a number of rounds equal to the result.

That'll synergize with the massive Speed increase from the Path of Travel, since one of the big drawbacks I see with that is simply not being to use it much for actual traveling with the rest of the party.

I definitely see a use for Keep Up!, though I feel it's huge AD sink. I'll mull on this suggestion also. Thanks.
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 03:07:55 PM »

Hi Big_Jim,

Like the Ruin Runner a lot. I think it would fit nicely in a couple of my favourite types of campaigns.

1) Conan. In some Conan stories, some barbarian, soldier or Burglar characters progress from robbing/looting urban wizards towers and magical treasure houses to raiding desert outposts of the Stygian Empire (Black Colossus) or abandoned jungle cities (Teeth of Gwahlur).

They'll some times use special items picked up along the way (eg poisoned daggers, strong ropes or even an odd protection spell) to help them brave the dangers of these deadly ruins. I think your Spoils and Cunning ability covers that.

2) Post Apoc Science Fantasy. Sounds like your setting is PA already, so I think it wouldn't take much to make your Ruin Runner into a Scavenger, looting the remains of New York.  

Cool.

Thanks! After taking Mr. A and Gatac's critiques into account, that class might become a little more scavenger-y. Or at least, less feat-happy.
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 07:25:03 PM »

Ok, some changes made:
Scrappin' By modified to better represent the ability to scrounge food without slowing down while traveling.
Scrappin’ By: When you know the land, you can eat without even slowing down.  While in a terrain covered by your Pathfinder Basics feat(s), you may make a Forage check as a free action while Traveling (see Fantasy Craft, page 371) or reduce a normal Forage check's duration to 1 hour.

Man of the Land is gone. Replaced with:

Keep Up! I: At Level 2, as a free action, you may spend an Action Die and choose a number of allies that can see or hear you up to the number of terrain feats you possess. You grant your travel speed to the chosen allies for the current period of travel. Also, your Strength is considered 3 higher for carrying capacity.
Keep Up! II: At Level 7, as a free action, you may spend an Action Die and choose a number of allies that can see or hear you up to the number of terrain feats you possess. You grant your base ground speed to the chosen allies for the duration of the scene. Also, your Strength is considered 3 higher for carrying capacity (total of 6).

Bonus Feat now kicks in for three dips, but all the specific feat granting abilities are gone.

Bonus Feat: At Levels 4, 6, and 8, you gain 1 additional Covert or Terrain feat.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 07:46:15 PM by Big_Jim » Logged
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 09:29:20 AM »

I think that's much better - clever trick with Keep Up!, really encourages going into Terrain feats and the time thing is a good common-sense rule. Still not so hot about the gamebreaker. How about this:

Dungeon Master: You have taken to heart the old adventurer's motto: grab what you can and get out! At Level 10, when your party makes a treasure roll, you may roll twice, keeping the result you prefer. Further, when you or any allies who can see or hear you make a Reflex save, you may roll twice, keeping the result you prefer.
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 02:01:36 PM »

I kinda hate treasure roll manipulations... treasure needs to be worked out before the adventure if you don't want it to stop things sudden as you figure it up. This just doubles the pre-game (or inter-game) treasure rolling. My original plan with stealing half of the burglar's gamebreaker was to represent that you've squirreled away a few cool toys that you've found over the years, and now you're puttin' them to use.

I almost want to work it out like Artie's bag from Warehouse 13. He has it, they need something, and Artie has anticipated this and pulls an appropriate artifact out of the bag to help with the situation. The ruin runner does much the same, but by producing some item he found years ago, and only just now realized it's usefulness. Or maybe their one-shot or burned out magic items - with just enough juice for one last hurray.

Dungeon Master: You've survived doing this for this long because of two things: A number of useful toys and a sixth sense for danger. At Level 10, once per scene, you may produce a magic item with a Reputation cost of up to 5 the permanent Terrain feats you have using the I Have One of Those! perk. The action die cost is 1 per 5 Reputation of the item's cost (rounded up). Items gained this way cannot be traded or sold and leave play at the end of the scene. Your use of this perk does not count towards your party's limit of player perks. Also, when making a Reflex save, you and allies that can see or hear you may roll twice, keeping the result you (or they) prefer.
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 02:07:35 PM »

Ooh, like the Wildcard Gadget from Spycraft. Now that I can get behind.
snake
Handler

Its all in the reflexes !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »

I have to say I agree with all of the game-breakers above.

I think the essence of the Ruin-Runner is to travel through dangerous terrains (deserts, jungles, radioactive wastelands) and survive !!.

Then arriving at the Lost Ruins/Dungeon of xxxxxx, to use Knowledge, Items, Skills acquired in this and previous classes to face fearsome Monsters and deadly traps to grab treasure and get out alive !!! (as Gatac says).

As he and most of the party are at Expert level, then the danger in the ruins is going to be significant (Temple of Doom !!!) and the Ruin-runner recognises this. Depending on his previous classes (and Interests), he may be more interested in the monetary value of the treasure in the ruins (Fortune and Glory, Kid !!). Alteratively, some Ruin-runners with Sorcerous leanings may be after items such as spell books, magical components as a way of progressing their arcane career (Its a radio for talking to God !!). PCs with Sage or Explorer backgrounds my want to add the treasure to a museums collection.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:56:14 PM by snake » Logged

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever !!!
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 04:28:17 PM »

Then the bag of tricks style Dungeon Master gamebreaker is go.

I like how it synergizes with the broker's core ability.

Broker: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8FCrAZcFJJDTzd0TldDWlZ1Ukk/edit

Ruin Runner: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8FCrAZcFJJDMkdjY2tISFpBVVk/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 06:50:37 PM by Big_Jim » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: