Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 06:44:22 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Mageslayer and Warcasting Basics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mageslayer and Warcasting Basics  (Read 1311 times)
Zetesofos
Recruit

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »

Two more set for now

Melee Combat Feats

Mageslayer Basics
You have a very personal relationship with magic.
Benefit: You gain a +2 insight bonus to Will saves vs. spells.  Also, you gain a stance
Magebane (stance): When you hit an opponent with a melee or unarmed attack while in this stance, he suffers a
Ė2 morale penalty with spellcasting checks until your next Initiative Count.

Mageslayer Mastery
Casting magic around you is a game mages don't want to play
Prerequisites: Mageslayer Basics
Benefit: The error range of spellcasting checks within your reach increases by your wisdom modifier (minimum 1).  Also, you gain a trick.
Destabilize (Tire Trick): Your targetís Charisma score also drops by 1 until the end of the scene (minimum 6). You may use this trick a number of times per scene equal to the number of Melee Combat feats you have.

Mageslayer Supremacy
When spells affect you, it's because you let them.
Prerequisites: Mageslayer Mastery
Benefit:Your Wisdom score increases by 1 and you gain a trick.
Spellguard (Anticipate Trick):  Your sense motive check also becomes a spell defense against the target's next spell before your nextinitiative count.

Spellcasting Feats

Warcasting Basics
Some people say magic shouldn't be used as a weapon...those people don't live long.
Prerequisites: Spellcasting 1+ ranks
Benefit: Whenever you benefit from the Refresh action, you gain 2 spell points.
Battlecasting (stance): Whenever you make successful attack check, you gain a +2 morale bonus to your next spellcrafting check.  Whenever you make a successful spellcasting check, you gain a +2 morale bonus to your next attack check.  Both bonuses last until your next initiative count.

Warcasting Mastery
Both magic and war are taxing endevors
Prerequisites: Warcasting Basics
Benefit: You may spend up to 3 Edge to increase the spell save DC of your next spell by 2.  Also, you gain a trick.
[Arcane Acumen (Attack Trick): You may substitute your Spellcasting (Int) bonus for your melee attack bonus. If the attack misses you become flat-footed at the end of your Initiative Count. You may use this trick as many times per combat as you have Spellcasting feats.

Warcasting Supremecy
Magic is the greatest weapon of war.
Prerequisites:Warcasting Mastery
Benefit: Once per round, when an adversary fails a save against one of your spells by 4 or more, you gain 1 Edge. Also, you gain a trick.
Spell Surge (Spellcasting trick): You may spend up to 5 Edge and add that many points to the spellcasting check, or threat range of this spell.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:56:46 PM by Zetesofos » Logged
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:14:13 PM »

Spellguard (Anticipate Trick).  Your sense motive check also becomes a spell defense against the target's next spell.

"... or until your next initiative," I imagine.
vardeman
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »

One more set for now

Mageslayer Mastery
Benefit: The error range of spellcasting checks within your reach increases by your wisdom modifier (minimum 1).  Also, you gain a trick.
Destabilize (Tire Trick) Your targetís Charisma score also drops by 1 until the end of the scene (minimum 6). You may use this trick a number of times per scene equal to the number of Melee Combat feats you have.

Minimum 6?  Is that supposed to be maximum?
Zetesofos
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:23:58 PM »

Spellguard (Anticipate Trick).  Your sense motive check also becomes a spell defense against the target's next spell.

"... or until your next initiative," I imagine.

fixed!

One more set for now

Mageslayer Mastery
Benefit: The error range of spellcasting checks within your reach increases by your wisdom modifier (minimum 1).  Also, you gain a trick.
Destabilize (Tire Trick) Your targetís Charisma score also drops by 1 until the end of the scene (minimum 6). You may use this trick a number of times per scene equal to the number of Melee Combat feats you have.

Minimum 6?  Is that supposed to be maximum?

Copied the structure from Repartee Basics....in other words, their score can't go below 6.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:25:26 PM »

Warcaster is obscenely too powerful.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Zetesofos
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:30:16 PM »

Editing.....
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 11:01:43 PM »

Editing.....

And even worse.

Why on earth would you take Casting Basics when you could take your Warcasting Basics?  Untyped bonus to three checks and free SP instead of a typed bonus to one and a threat boost. Well I suppose I might still take Casting Basics since it stacks.

Mastery grants a way to spend edge, but there's no way to generate Edge at that point in the chain. I realize you copied the Force field thing from Greatsword Mastery, but on a spellcaster it's a bit much for Mastery.

Supremacy's edge generation is way to rapid, although at first blush the trick is ok.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
pawsplay