Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 19, 2014, 09:22:21 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Basics Feats (Dervish and Brawler)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Basics Feats (Dervish and Brawler)  (Read 1380 times)
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 05:09:57 PM »

And I wouldn't sweat the names too much. Language is mutable, and while Kren's definition is accurate, it's not the first one that comes to this long-time adventure gamer's mind.

True, but I think with the current events of this decade, particularly Sufi-Sunni strife, it's worth going the extra mile in order to be sensitive. Plus, a more culturally neutral name encourages out of the box thinking. Wouldn't it work just as well for a wu-xia, a Drow ranger, or hussar?

I think the most important consideration by far when choosing any title - of anything - is the immediate impression it conjures. It's always best IMO to go for names that will, without further explanation or elaboration, convey the concept you're presenting, and that has as much to do with your audience as the concept itself. In this case we're talking about adventure gamers, so - IMO - dervish is perfectly acceptable. Its alternative uses are, from my perspective, pretty fringe to the common user today, and while it's always a noble goal to avoid potential offense, I like to assume the best in readers - that they can differentiate between fantasy and reality, and between intended attacks and incidental or even willful misreadings.

I get that, but I don't know how many modern readers are going to think Hollywood or Victorian Oriental tropes, moreso than a mystical tradition which is still a force in the modern day. That is, I think Dervish is probably equally likely, or nearly so, to evoke a Muslim religionist as a frenzied swordsman.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

We have all the time in the world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 05:11:15 PM »

And I wouldn't sweat the names too much. Language is mutable, and while Kren's definition is accurate, it's not the first one that comes to this long-time adventure gamer's mind.

True, but I think with the current events of this decade, particularly Sufi-Sunni strife, it's worth going the extra mile in order to be sensitive. Plus, a more culturally neutral name encourages out of the box thinking. Wouldn't it work just as well for a wu-xia, a Drow ranger, or hussar?

I think the most important consideration by far when choosing any title - of anything - is the immediate impression it conjures. It's always best IMO to go for names that will, without further explanation or elaboration, convey the concept you're presenting, and that has as much to do with your audience as the concept itself. In this case we're talking about adventure gamers, so - IMO - dervish is perfectly acceptable. Its alternative uses are, from my perspective, pretty fringe to the common user today, and while it's always a noble goal to avoid potential offense, I like to assume the best in readers - that they can differentiate between fantasy and reality, and between intended attacks and incidental or even willful misreadings.

I get that, but I don't know how many modern readers are going to think Hollywood or Victorian Oriental tropes, moreso than a mystical tradition which is still a force in the modern day. That is, I think Dervish is probably equally likely, or nearly so, to evoke a Muslim religionist as a frenzied swordsman.

With regard to most western hobby gamers, I would respectfully disagree, though I'd prefer to leave it up to the OP. It's his work, after all. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Zetesofos
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 05:32:45 PM »

Personally, I like the Brawler tree. It feels like a boxer - is that what you were going for? With a little tweaking, it would definitely be useable.

Pretty much, a boxer, or more specific, the fighter who reveals in the bar fight, or back alley tussel.  I had a couple ideas for maybe benefits with grapple ideas, but couldn't settle on anything.  Any suggestions for tweaking.   

As for the dervish, name problems aside, if there are these other feats that give similar abilities, I might reconsider the whole tree.  The couple ideas I did like where being able to 5ft step and move action, and possible spend Edge for an attack, though perhaps I can work in a few more conditions to make it not so spamable. 
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: