Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2014, 09:07:10 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Basics Feats (Dervish and Brawler)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Basics Feats (Dervish and Brawler)  (Read 1295 times)
Zetesofos
Recruit

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2011, 08:24:19 PM »

Having recently got Fantasy Craft, it set my designing bug in high mode once again.  Just wanted to share some homebrew feats for people.

Dervish Basics
Fast feat and dual wielding make you hard to pin down
Benefit:You gain a +1 bonus to defense when you are armed with two 1-handed weapons.  Also, you gain a stance.
Swordance (stance).  You can take a 5 ft. bonus step even if you have already taken a move action in a round.

Dervish Mastery
Hard to hit, hard to catch
Prerequisites: Dervish Basics
Benefit:You gain 1 Edge whenever you make a successful tumble check (minimum DC 15).  Also, you gain a trick
Blade Cross(melee parry trick).  If your armed with two 1-handed weapons, you may make your reflex saving throw twice, and keep the better result.

Dervish Supremacy
A dance of death to leave your foes breathless.....and dead.
Prerequisites: Dervish Mastery
Benefit:Once per round when youíre armed with two 1-handed weapons, you may spend 4 Edge to make 1 standard attack with each of those weapons.  Also, you gain a trick.
Flurry (Melee attack trick).  If you hit by 4 or more and your armed with two 1-handed weapons, you inflict damage from both weapons.  Roll damage for each weapon separately.

Brawler Basics
Prerequisites: Unarmed Forte
Benefit:Whenever you inflict subdual damage on a target two or more times in a single round, they take a -2 penalty to saves until the start of your next initiative count.  Also, you gain a stance.
Grit (stance) You gain a  +4 bonus to saving throws against subdual damage. 

Brawler Mastery
Prerequisites: Brawler Basics
Benefit:You gain 1 Edge whenever you succeed on a saving throw against subdual damage.
Headbutt (Unarmed attack trick). This trick may only be used when inflicting subdual damage. If the target fails his save against subdual damage, heís also stunned for 1 round.

Brawler Supremacy
Prerequisites: Brawler Mastery
Benefit:Once per round, you may take a half action to pummel a character.  Also, you gain a trick.
Haymaker (unarmed pummel trick).  If you hit, you may immediately spend 5 Edge to cause the target to gain 1 grade of fatigue per 5 that they fail against the subdual damage.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:56:56 PM »

What does the first chain have to do with being a mendicant Sufi ascetic?

Beyond that, you'r retreading the same ground as the three Two Weapon feats.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Zetesofos
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 09:04:18 PM »

(Yeah, I know, but for some reason that name has had some relation with twirly dancers and blade fighters *shrugs*

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 09:26:10 PM »

(Yeah, I know, but for some reason that name has had some relation with twirly dancers and blade fighters *shrugs*

Because the British used it a pejorative term, if not an outright slur, for their Muslim opponents in their Middle-Eastern and African possessions. Dervishes have no relation with swordsmanship or fighting.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Zetesofos
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »

So, what would be a better name?
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:15:10 PM »

So, what would be a better name?

No matter what name, it still is redundant and (overall) under powered.

Two Weapon Fighting, Two Weapon Defense, and Charging Basics accomplishes the same mechanical effect and then some, and the Blade Weaver chain does the whirling swordsman thing more stylishly and works with any edged weapon.

The Basics feat's boon feels sort of blah, and the stance is weak.

The Master feat is weaker then Two Weapon Defense.

The Supremacy Feat is overpowered, by a lot. It basically combines the benefits of Two Weapon Fighting, without the penalty, and a better version of Bow Supremacy's Multishot trick.

Brawler isn't bad, but ti seems disjointed and far to tied up in the subdual save.

Zetesofos
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »

The following (Two weapon defense and blade weaver) are they in the adventure's companion? 
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 10:28:24 PM »

The following (Two weapon defense and blade weaver) are they in the adventure's companion? 

Yes.

Zetesofos
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 10:30:42 PM »

Ah, well, shoot, I don't have that yet, so I didn't know.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »

Seems like it has plenty to do with a spinning colum of air and dust. Dervish does have multiple meanings Smiley. I suspect the weather phenomena is the primary usage and the Dervishes took their name from their mimicry of it's swirling motions - as do most references to dervish in swordfighting.

You want to avoid effects that can produce Edge without either spending an action die or an adversary present. That tumble thing could be used to charge up 5 Edge basically at will before combat even starts. You might try changing it to each time you spend an action die to boost an acrobatics check.

Is Dervish supremacy trying to give you a free attack with each of those weapons?

"Flurry" is already taken as a game term, but you could rename it "blade flurry" and avoid duplication. It's an ok effect but seems a little weak for a supremacy trick... other than it's not limited to once per round, which I guess could make it pretty nasty.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:54:32 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 01:05:40 PM »

Seems like it has plenty to do with a spinning colum of air and dust. Dervish does have multiple meanings Smiley. I suspect the weather phenomena is the primary usage and the Dervishes took their name from their mimicry of it's swirling motions - as do most references to dervish in swordfighting.

Other way around. Dervish means opener of the door or poor. If someone is referring to dust devils as dervishes, it's because of their similarity to the dance during the Sema.

It's a borderline slur, like wog.

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 03:54:23 PM »

Personally, I like the Brawler tree. It feels like a boxer - is that what you were going for? With a little tweaking, it would definitely be useable.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 03:55:51 PM »

And I wouldn't sweat the names too much. Language is mutable, and while Kren's definition is accurate, it's not the first one that comes to this long-time adventure gamer's mind.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
pawsplay