Author Topic: The Idiot Box: TV Season 2011/2012  (Read 66884 times)

ThunderMonkey

• Control
    • View Profile
Re: The Idiot Box: TV Season 2011/2012
« Reply #855 on: September 02, 2012, 06:44:10 AM »
the Master's atual favourite means of killing folks is his Tissue Compression Eliminator, which kills people by reducing them to the size of action figures.

That's the greatest thing ever.  I'm so adding a gun that does that to my next Fallout game.

Is he strictly an original Doctor adversary?  Or does he appear in the new series, too?  I'm getting 6 seasons from my friend, and I think that should bring me somewhat current.

The Master is one of the original adversaries for the Doctor.
Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.

ThunderMonkey

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: September 02, 2012, 07:01:27 AM »
Spoiler: Asylum of The Daleks • show

The early appearance of Jenna-Louise Coleman was a surprise, as was the extent of her conversion though the fact of it wasn't thanks to the black guy, so I suspect we're going to get a rerun of the old trope of the Doctor meeting a relative of the companion before meeting them.

I agree with the points you raise.

Spoiler: show
I really  hope it doesn't come to that. Have it happen once was neat... after that: Really, again? If the showrunners really liked an actress or actor, they should have altered the script a bit to have them survive, so you wouldn't have to "reintroduce" them.

As far as Clara/Oswin goes I hope it's rather the Doctor keeps her running from her own fate. However, even he would have to succumb to the fact that she must undergo the conversion in order to save him in the future.

Clara could be a completely different person than Oswin and not even have to be a relative. No one (other than the TV viewer) knows what she looks like and thus the connection could be completely avoided by the other characters.
Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.

glimmerrat

• Control
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: September 04, 2012, 03:49:56 AM »
Amy Pond is really starting to piss me off now.

Seriously, Rory waits for her for 2000 fucking years, and she thinks that a blip like not being able to have kids actually matters to him? ARGH! She's so annoying! I even preferred Donna over her, and I find her deeply annoying.

Anyway, she can't have kids? WTF was Melody Pond/River Song, then?
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

spinningdice

• Control
  • The power of the Dice compels you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: September 04, 2012, 05:40:14 AM »
In fairness it does mention that the events that led to River Song left her unable to bear children.
Not that I'm defending Amy, the whole divorce thing felt painfully tagged on, and then the children-excuse seemed like a made up reason because they wanted them divorced.

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 04, 2012, 05:53:42 AM »

It was the process of having River that's meant to have rendered her forever after infertile. Goodness knows why exactly.

What really griefs me is that in the wake of the events of Demon's Run and the revelation that her lost daughter was masquerading as her best friend in order to kill her other best friend, Amy's emotional wellbeing was pretty much chucked in the back of the closet and ignored until Moffat with all his cack-handed arrogance reefs it out again for a crappy 2 minute confrontation -- which despite her protestations to the contrary, the Doctor's presence effectively magically resolves -- that has ignored any actual depth to the Amy/Rory relationship.

A lot of people are going all "Rory is a horrible Nice Guy person for daring to say he loves Amy more than she loves him", but given it's very very clear that Amy has unilaterally decided to end things in an exceptionally short period of time without divulging her genuine reason for it -- one can only come to the assumption that she's just out of the blue told him it's over and she no longer loves her -- so what the hell else is he meant to think?

When you look back to season 5's Amy's Choice, the 'normal' world is Rory's fantasy that he can be enough for Amy, while the 'real' world is her fantasy of Rory being her anchor while she has adventures with the Doctor. In and of itself I don't mind that: some people just inherently live larger than others. Personally I've never really liked Amy. She's arguably emotionally abusive in her treatment of Rory -- the idea that he might have thoughts and a self-reality outside the role she ascribes him just doesn't occur to her -- though at least it's not a rinse-and-repeat Rose's disdainful relationship with Mickey.

Crafty_Pat

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • We have all the time in the world.
    • View Profile
    • Crafty Games
« Reply #860 on: September 05, 2012, 10:43:28 AM »
Looks like Neil Gaiman is writing another episode of Doctor Who;D

From Comic-Con 2012, the Doctor Who vs. Nerdist All-Star Celebrity Bowling show (and a BTS vid).

Plus, were any of you interested in seeing that Revolution pilot that played at Comic-Con? Well now you can.
Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Newsletter: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+Crafty-Games/
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is broken.

Crafty_Pat

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
    • Crafty Games
« Reply #861 on: September 05, 2012, 11:20:51 AM »
Walking Dead Season 3 poster...

Spoiler: Fight the Dead. Fear the Living. • show

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Crafty_Pat

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
    • Crafty Games
« Reply #862 on: September 05, 2012, 10:58:07 PM »
On Asylum of the Daleks...

I could have lived without the Amy/Rory divorce plot bump as well, especially this close to their exit, but I rather liked the rest of the episode, especially Jenna Louise-Coleman's appearance. I very much hope she's playing the same character here that we meet again in the Christmas special, as it's the first time I've felt that any of the modern companions stood a chance of keeping up with the Doctor, and on his own turf no less (my favorite of the other modern companions is still Martha, as at least she was willful without being mostly intolerable, like Donna).

I think the theory that Oswin is a descendant of Clara is likely, though that would be disappointing. For a while I've been hoping that one of the new companions would originate away from modern day Earth - from the future, say, or perhaps from another world. All signs appear to point to Clara being just another 21st century human, however, so I'll keep it simple and hope she shares Oswin's spunk, and perhaps a little of her intellect.
Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Crafty_Pat

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
    • Crafty Games
« Reply #863 on: September 07, 2012, 03:34:48 PM »
Looks like that Heavy Metal TV series finally found a home... in France. The pool for when it'll crop up on SyFy here in the States begins now. I got six months.
Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Crafty_Pat

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
    • Crafty Games
« Reply #864 on: September 14, 2012, 08:32:30 AM »
Joss Whedon talks S.H.I.E.L.D. TV Show: So far it's exactly what I've been expecting...

"It's new characters. It needs to be its own thing," said Whedon. "It needs to be adjacent [to the movies] but you don't want to do a show where you're constantly going, 'Iron Man just left, but he was totally here a minute ago.' You want them to do their own thing."

Whedon also clarified what exactly 'their thing' is, "Well, what does S.H.I.E.L.D. have that the other superheroes don't? And that, to me, is that they're not superheroes. But they live in that universe. Even though they're a big organization, that [lack of powers] makes them underdogs, and that's interesting to me."
Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 15, 2012, 01:27:08 PM »
A Town Called Mercy is easily the best episode of the season so far.

ThunderMonkey

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: September 16, 2012, 06:36:26 AM »
A Town Called Mercy is easily the best episode of the season so far.

It was good, but the Dinosaur episode was both fun and good. It had a very Douglas Adams feel to it.

Wolverine

• Control
  • I want to smoke a fairy
    • View Profile
    • Geek-Life Balance (my personal blog)
« Reply #867 on: September 16, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »
It was good, but the Dinosaur episode was both fun and good. It had a very Douglas Adams feel to it.

And a setup that actually made sense. (Well, apart from Nefertiti and Riddell, that was just convenience)

Not saying that ATCM didn't make sense, just that DOAS could have been a lot worse.
"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent

Morganti

• Handler
  • Endless Eternity, Eternally Endless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: September 16, 2012, 01:12:21 PM »
Watching both of those episodes distracted me and my partner from making FC characters. Lol. Considering those were my first two dr who episodes ever. I was intrigued
~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~

Agent 333

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 16, 2012, 06:19:34 PM »
Frankly I haven't been too impressed with this season so far. It just seems way too random and half baked.
When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.