Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2014, 03:35:09 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  D&D Rules Cyclopedia -> Fantasy Craft Conversion Document
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: D&D Rules Cyclopedia -> Fantasy Craft Conversion Document  (Read 1311 times)
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2010, 02:35:02 AM »

First draft, open for comments.

Conversion to FC from the Rules Cyclopedia (RC) or BECMI rules.

This document follows a similar procedure to p.295-303. I note two things that are important for this conversion. First, THAC0 and various other abilities have a fairly static relationship to Hit Dice. Thus, a conversion that positied that every monster was equivalent for its Threat Level would give all monsters Attack V, and so forth, while Defense would vary considerably. It also means that powerful creatures may not be especially dangerous-seeming, even to low level adventures. For that reason, some of the grades will be scaled to or modified by the creature's original Hit Dice. A Formidability grade is assigned that is used to derive a number of other traits, in addition to a Conversion Threat Level, which is used to normalize some traits.

Second, BECMI monsters tend to be fairly simple, which is in keeping with FC philosophy, but do not fully harness the options available in FC. This should be seen as a benefit rather than as a hindrance. There is nothing wrong with a nice, clean monster design. Furthermore, this means there is plenty of blank canvas to apply one or two oh-so-perfect qualities, drawing from the full palette of FC options.

Also, always remember that subtracting a negative is like adding a positive.

Conversion Threat Level

First, if it can cast spells like a cleric or magic-user, use its effective caster level, if higher. Otherwise, use its Hit Dice.

For the purposes of this conversion, a monster gets a Formidability grade, based on its Hit Dice. Disregard extra ("+") hit points.

1 HD and 1 hit point   I
Less than 1 HD   II
1 to 9 HD      III
10 to 19 HD      IV
20 to 29 HD      V
30 to 36 HD      VI
37+ HD      VII

Step 1: Size and Type

This follows, generally, the pattern laid out on p.296 for OGL monsters. However, the RC is pretty generous with the Large size. If the description says how big something is, estimate. Assume that any humanoid that  is (L) is actually medium if it does not uses large weapons, or is of the Giant Humanoid type.

Normal Animal, Giant Animal, Prehistorica Animal   Animal
Dragon, Dragonkin                  Beast
Humanoid, Demihuman, Giant Humanoid         Folk or Fey
Construct                     Construct
Lowlife                     Animal, Plant or Ooze
Monster                     Folk, Beast, or Horror, most likely
Planar Monster                  Elemental or Outsider
Undead                     Undead

BECMI monsters tend to be fairly untalented. Any non-Animal gets a Competence grade equal to its Formidability.

Step 2: Abilities

A creature's Strength is typically 10, plus twice any bonus to damage due to strength, as described in the RC.  Apply a penalty of -2 Strength per -1 to damage. For larger creatures, Strength should be set to 10, +2 per size category more than Medium, if that would be a larger score. Any very small creatures described as using miniature weapons should probably have a Strength of no more than twice their maximum possible damage;
Dexterity is usually 10. Set it to 8 if the creature has penalties to attack due to poor senses or coordination. It is saves as a rogue or halfling, has any stealth or surprise ability, some kind of initiative advantage, or is described as being particualrly argile or lithe, set Dex equal to 8 + (2 x Formidability), -2 per size category larger than Medium. Add +2 if it is a solitary hunting Animal.
Constitution is usually 10. If it has regeneration, set it to 8 + (2 x Formidability), -2 per size category smaller than Medium. Add +2 if it saves as a dwarf. Add +2 for a creature with a listed load and barding multiplier. Add +2 if it is described as having endurance, sturdiness, or another such characteristic. For larger creatures, Constitution should be set to 10, +2 per size category more than Medium, if that would be a larger score.
A creature's Intelligence is the same as its Intelligence.
A creature's Wisdom is usually equal to its Morale +2. If a creature has more than one Morale number, use the most ideal. However, if it is described as unusually perceptive, cunning, or alert, set its Wisdom equal to 8 + (2 x its Formidability), if that would yield a higher number.
Charisma is usually 10, or 8 if it is an Animal. However, if it is described as alluring, charming, or deceptive, has any disguise ability, or casts spells as a cleric or magic-user, set its Charisma equal to 8 + (2 x its Formidability). If, intead, it is described as shy, inoffensive, ill-tempered, or crude, subtract 2.

For abilities higher than 10, round down to the next even number.

Step 3: Grades

Initiative
Initiative is equal to Formidability. If the creature is described as particularly slow-witted, dull, or unobservant, subtract 1. If it has some kind of ability that helps it surprise foes or go first, add 1.

Attack
Equal to its Formidability grade, +1. Add +1 Attack if it gains a bonus to hit due to ferocity or strength. Add +1 if it has extra hit points, or fights as a creature of higher HD. Subtract 1 if it casts as a cleric or magic-user of higher level than its HD.

Defense
First, subtract its AC from 9 to get its Defense bonus. Now, derive its base Defense by removing any size or Dex modifiers that would result from its FC statistics (in other words, subtract the Dex bonus and any Defense modifier due to size). Now find the lowest grade for its Conversion Threat Level that includes that bonus; if no grade includes the result, get gets Defense X and monstrous defense (grade equal to 1/3 the surplus).

Resilience
Equal to its Formidability, modified as follows:

Saves as anything other than a fighter or Normal Man   +1 Resilience
Saves as a creature of fewer HD than it has         -1 Resilience

Health
The creature gains a Health grade equal to its Formidability.

Modify as follows:
Smaller than Medium      -1 Health per category
Larger than Medium      +1 Health OR tough I per category (your choice)
Extra hit points (e.g. 6 + 3)   +1 Health
Smaller than d8s for Hit Dice -1 Health

Step 4: Attacks and Qualities

See p. 300. These abilities may vary considerably.

For natural attacks, follow the guidelines given on p.297. Use the smallest grade of attack that includes the creature's maximum damage. If the maximum is at least halfway to the damage of a higher grade, raise the grade by 1 more (increasing the threat range by 1), unless of course the attack has no attack roll and cannot crit.

If it has exactly two natural attacks and no ability to wield weapons, either add swift attack, or both feat (Two-Hit Combo) and +1 Attack, or frenzy I, as you see fit.Adding exactly one natural attack of the same type is point bloat that does nothing.

For special attacks, use these guidelines:

Save vs.         Grade
Death Ray/Poison      I
Magic Wands         II
Paralysis/Turn to Stone   II
Breath Attack         Formidability
Rod/Staff/Spell       Formidability

Step 5: Skills

Creature with a Competence grade do not usually have much in the way of Signature Skills, excepting those suggested by their descriptions. Those who have some ability to detect others or avoid surprise get Notice, while those who can ambush or surprise get Sneak. Anything that climbs, grabs, or swims gets Athletics. Anything with Morale 12 gets Resolve. The grade is usually one higher than Comp.

For Animals, which have no Comp, Signature Skills require a little more thought. Anything that has a listed load capacity and barding multiplier rates Athletics I, +1 for every size category larger than Medium. Some considerations:

Hunters that can track like dogs or wolves    Survival IV to V,
Pursuit hunters, like lions or tigers      Athletics IV to V
Ambushers               Sneak IV to V
Scavengers               Search IV to V
Prey animals                 Notice IV to V

Step 6: Feats

For the most part, creatures need only those Feats necessary to emulate their special abilities. If a creature, particularly a Folk, is described as using a peculiar weapon with great skill, that may suggest the Basics feat for that weapon.

Step 6: Gear and Treasure

By treasure type:

A   (A)ny
B   (L), (C), (M)
C   (L), (M), (A)ny
D   (L), (M), (A)ny
E   (A)ny
F   (A)ny
G   (C), (M), (A)ny
H   (C), (L), (A)ny
I   (L), (C), (Any)
J   (C)
K   (C)
L   (L), (C)
M   (L), (C)
N   (M), (T), (G)
O   (M), (T), (G)
P, Q, R   (C)
S, T   (L), (C)
U, V   (A)ny   

Step 7: Remaining Entries

Speed/Mobility
Divide speed by 4 to get the equivalent in FC.

Reach
Some Large creatures or creatures with long tentacles, tails, or necks may justify additional reach.

Armor Class
A creature gains DR equal to   its base defense bonus (maximum 10), unless it wears armor, in which case it simply gains the benefits (and penalties) of that type of armor instead. If a creature has a base Defense of +1 or better and is simply not durable at all (it's a small fey creature, for instance), do not add DR and instead just increase Defense by 1 grade; if that would increase it past Defense X, add +2 Dex instead.

Morale
Based on a creature's Morale, it gains the following qualities:
2   meek, banned action (Resolve checks)
3-4   meek
5-9   No special qualities
10-11   fearless I
12   fearless II

Creatures that have a lower Morale without a leader use the higher number but gain the qualities of the next category down, instead. I.e. A morale of 9 with a leader, 7 without means the creature gains meek.

Step 7: Other Final Touches

If the creature normally has leader or advanced versions with the group, you can apply the Alpha template. For more run of the mill leaders, applying veteran I or veteran II is enough to make the leaders stand out from the pack. Simply converting the leaders as-is would result in the leaders having lower characteristics rather than higher ones.

It is often worthwhile to take on a quality or two, or Signature Skill, to suggest something interesting about the monster, although this is by no means mandatory.

Appendix I: NPCs

When converting NPCs, it is frequently useful to simply use a Rogue that fits the archetype. However, there may be times when you want to convert an NPC similarly to the above process. The Conversion Threat Level and Formidability is based on the NPC's level. This means that unlike a normal Rogue, such a character will not simply scale to the PCs.

For characters of level 10 or higher, treat the character as having a smaller than d8 hit die for Health purposes. Do not modify Health for Small size.

If you are using Weapon Mastery rules, ranks may translate into additional tricks or Feats.

Basic         Normal (no bonuses)
Skilled         tricky (any one corresponding trick), or an appropriate Basic Combat feat
Expert         the Basics feat for that weapon
Master         Experts feat
Grand Master      Mastery feat

If using the optional Skills rules, each skill may imply a particular Skill or Interest.

For spellcasters, see Appendix II for setting Spellcasting and Steps.

Conversely, a properly scaling NPC can be made using the following bare bones:

Fighter (Medium Folk Walker 33 xp): Str 14, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10; SZ M (1x1, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init III; Atk V; Def V; Res III; Health V; Comp I; Skills: Athletics V, Intimidate II; Qualities: feat (Armor Basics).
Cleric (Medium Folk Walker 37 xp): Str 10, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 14; SZ M (1x1, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init III; Atk IV; Def V; Res V; Health IV; Comp II; Qualities: feat (Armor Basics), turning (undead).
Magic-User (Medium Folk Walker 36 xp): Str 10, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 14; SZ M (1x1 Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init III; Atk III; Def IV; Res V; Health III; Comp II; Signature Skills: Investigate V, Spellcasting III; Qualities: feat (Casting Basics).
Thief (Medium Folk Walker 34 xp): Str 10, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10; SZ M (1x1), Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init IV; Atk IV; Def V; Res IV; Health III; Comp III; Skills: Athletics IV, Prestidigitation IV, Search IV, Sneak IV; Qualities: feat (Ambush Basics), superior climber I.
Elf (Medium Fey Walker - 42 xp): Str 10, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 10; SZ M (1x1, Reach 1); Spd 40 ft. ground; Init III; Atk V; Def V; Res V; Health IV; Comp II; Skills: Athletics IV, Spellcasting III; Qualities: attractive I, darkvision I, feat (Armor Basics), improved sense (hearing, sight).
Dwarf (Medium Folk Walker 38 xp): Str 14, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10; SZ M (1x1, Reach 1); Spd 20 ft. ground; Init III; Atk V; Def V; Res V; Health V; Comp I; Skills: Intimidate II; Qualities: feat (Armor Basics), darkvision II, improved stability.
Halfling (Small Folk Walker 33 xp): Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10; SZ S (1x1, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init III; Atk V; Def V; Res V; Health IV; Comp II; Skills: Sneak III; Qualities: feat (Armor Basics).

For higher-level characters, apply the following changes:
Level
1-9      No changes
10-19      veteran I, add two qualities
20-29      veteran II, add four qualities
30-36      veteran III, cagey I, tough I, add four qualities

The extra qualities could be anything. Some especially good ones are fearless I, class feature, feat, and tricky.

Appendix II: Some Special Abilities

Spells (as a magic-user): Spellcasting Signature Skill, equal to highest spell level cast, plus Formidability; if greater than Spellcasting X, turn the excess into expanded spellbook. If it casts at a higher level than its HD, add unlimited spell points. If it saves as a magic-user or elf, add feat (Casting Basics).
Spells (as a cleric): A number of grades of Devoted equal to half its cleric level; if it can cast 8th level spells, add the divine intervention class ability.
Infravision (subterranean creature): Darkvision II
Infravision (surface dweller): Darkvision I, Improved Sense (sight)
Energy drain: Extraordinary Attack (Soul Drain) equal to its Formidability. If the creature normally dishes out two negative levels, Extraordinary Attack (Soul Drain) V is appropriate.
Hurt only by silver weapons (corporeal, most monsters): DR 1, increase its Health by two grades, and give it Achilles' heel (silver).
Immune to normal weapons (corporeal, most monsters): +1 DR and a +1 Defense equal to the number of +'s required to hurt it. If that would cause it to exceed Defense X, it gains monstrous defense 1. DR beyond 10 is lost.
Immune to normal weapons (spectral): If the creature is immune to non-magical weapons because it is actually incorporeal or spectral, add DR 1, increase its Health, and give the creature damage defiance (subdual, lethal) in addition to the incorporeal type. Do not give a creature defiance to damage to which it is immune. If it can be harmed by silver, add Achilles' heel (silver), as well. If it can not be harmed by  silver weapons, it is a good candidate for the spirit type.
Rock throwing: This is Hurled Basics and Bullseye, using large-scale, massive large rocks. For really long range throwing, define an Extraordinary Attack.
Poison: This can be defined either by giving the creature a venomous attack, or as an Extraordinary Attack linked to a natural attack. If defined as an actual poison, tricky (Venom Master) is a must.
Spell immunity: This is spell defense, depending on the level of spell the creature is normally immune to. 1st spell defense II, 2nd spell defense II, 3rd spell defense III, 4th spell defense III.

Appendix III: Selected Conversions

Manscorpion (Large Folk Walker 46 xp): Str 12, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 8; SZ L (2x1, Reach 1); Spd 60 ft. ground; Init III; Atk IV; Def VI; Res III; Health IV; Comp III; Qualities: damage reduction 2, improved stability, tricky (Venom Master).
Attacks: Tail (tail slap I, venomous: paralytic poison, 1d10+1 lethal, reach +1), large-scale glaive (1d10+1, threat 19-20, error 1-2, keen 4, reach +1), longbow and barbed arrows (1d6 lethal, threat 19-20, AP 2, bleed, poisonous, 40 ft. x6)
Manscorpion Cleric (Large Folk Walker 69 xp): Str 12, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 14; SZ L (2x1, Reach 1); Spd 60 ft. ground; Init III; Atk IV; Def VI; Res IV; Health IV; Comp III; Qualities: damage reduction 2, devoted VIII (Path of Light I, Path of Life III), improved stability, tricky (Venom Master).
Attacks: Tail (tail slap I, venomous: paralytic poison, 1d10+1 lethal, reach +1), large-scale glaive (1d10+1, threat 19-20, error 1-2, keen 4, reach +1), longbow and barbed arrows (1d6 lethal, threat 19-20, AP 2, bleed, poisonous, 40 ft. x6).

Shrew, Giant (Small Animal Walker- 48 xp): Str 10, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 8; SZ S (1x1, Reach 1); Spd 40 ft. ground; Init IV; Atk IV; Def IV; Res III; Health III; Comp -; Signature Skills: Athletics IV, Notive V; Qualities: blindsight, feat (Lightning Reflexes),  impaired sense (vision), swift attack I, unnerving.
Attacks: Bite I (1d6 lethal, threat 18-20).
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »

Have you seen Dark Dungeons and if so is it close enough to be used with this?  Most of my BECMI stuff is long gone but I remember it fondly as the version of D&D I wished I had never stopped playing. 

And good work! Smiley
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:12:38 PM »

Have you seen Dark Dungeons and if so is it close enough to be used with this?  Most of my BECMI stuff is long gone but I remember it fondly as the version of D&D I wished I had never stopped playing. 

Very close. Most of the differences would have little effect on monster conversions.

And good work! Smiley

Thanks.
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:22:45 AM »

As an addendum on Strength, it looks to me that some monsters do a lot of damage with powerful melee weapons. No normal melee weapon does more than 1 die of damage in the RC; monsters of larger size who wield weapons should probably have a minimum of 10, +4 per die of damage with a melee weapon.

As an addendum to finishing touches, multiple die of damage in the RC is rare and fairly dangerous in general. I think as a recommendation I would say that you want the threat to match the level of dice in some fashion (i.e. 3d6 leads to 18-20), whether that is through monstrous attack, giant-craft equipment, natural ranges of bite attacks, etc.
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 03:31:38 AM »

This is the current Wiki entry for the Cyclops.

Cyclops

Huge folk walker (56 xp)

Str 18, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 10; SZ H (3x3, Reach 2); Spd 20 ft. ground; Init III; Atk III; Def IV; Res IV; Health V; Comp II; Skills: Athletics IV; Qualities: critical hesitation, damage reduction 3, fearless I, feat (Black Cat, Jinx, Tough Luck, Hurled Basics), impaired sense (sight), lumbering, tough II.

Attacks/weapons: Huge club (1d12+4 subdual), Huge rock (2d6+8 lethal, 10 ft. x2, massive).

This is what he would look like under these conversions, including the above possible revisions:

Huge folk walker (55 xp)
Str 18, Dex 8, Con 14, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 8; SZ H (3x3, Reach 2); Spd 20 ft. ground; Init III; Atk IV; Def II; Res IV; Health IV; Comp IV; Qualities: critical hesitation, damage reduction 2, feat (Black Cat, Jinx, Tough Luck, Hurled Basics, Bullseye), impaired sense (sight), lumbering, tough II.
Attacks/weapons: Large-scale giant club (1d10+4 subdual, threat 20, error 1-2, +2 Threat versus smaller), large-scale giant large rock (1d12 lethal, threat 20, error 1-2, massive, +2 Threat versus smaller, 10 ft. x2)
pawsplay