Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 27, 2014, 11:46:53 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Mastercraft] [L5R] [Judge Dredd] Copping it sweet
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Mastercraft] [L5R] [Judge Dredd] Copping it sweet  (Read 982 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2011, 11:47:24 AM »

For those of you not following the Shinobi thread on the PbP board.

Long story, short: equal parts inspiration from L5R (I'm fairly certain Scott at least will pick it), Judge Dredd & WH40K

New Talents

Sensitive
You're not psychic, but you still manage to pick up on things sometimes almost before they happen.
  • Attributes: +2 to lower of Intelligence or Wisdom, 2 Constitution.
  • Always Ready: You may always act during surprise rounds.
  • Enlightened Sense Motive: Your maximum Sense Motive rank increases to your Career Level + 5. Only the highest bonus from any single enlightened ability may apply to each skill.
  • Sharp Mind: You gain 1 additional skill point each level.
  • Skeptical: The DC of all Bluff checks targeting you increases by 3.
  • Turn the Tables: You gain the Turn the Tables trick (see Adventure Companion, pg 142).

New Specialties

Beat Cop
You excel at identifying and apprehending criminals.
  • Bonus Feat: Wrestling Basics.
  • Attribute Training: The lower of your Strength or Wisdom increases by 1 (your choice in the case of a tie). This bonus is applied after any attribute modifiers from your Species or Talent.
  • Blunt Proficiency: You gain the Blunt proficiency.
  • Devotee: You gain Alignment (The Law) and Study (Law).
  • Free Hint: Once per session, you may request a free hint from the GM. If he refuses, you gain 1 bonus action die.
  • Paired Skills: Each time you gain 1 or more ranks in the Sense Motive skill, you also gain an equal number of ranks in the Athletics skill. This may not increase your Athletics skill beyond its maximum rank.

Inquisitor
You're ruthless in your hunt for the truth.
  • Bonus Feat: Glint of Madness.
  • Attribute Training: The lower of your Constitution or Wisdom increases by 1 (your choice in the case of a tie). This bonus is applied after any attribute modifiers from your Species or Talent.
  • Free Hint: Once per session, you may request a free hint from the GM. If he refuses, you gain 1 bonus action die.
  • Heroism: You gain a +1 bonus with all attack and skill checks you make during dramatic scenes.
  • Paired Skills: Each time you gain 1 or more ranks in the Investigate skill, you also gain an equal number of ranks in the Intimidate skill. This may not increase your Intimidate skill beyond its maximum rank.

Inspector
You rely on a combination of perception and dogged persistance to find the facts.
  • Bonus Feat: Iron Will.
  • Attribute Training: The lower of your Intelligence or Wisdom increases by 1 (your choice in the case of a tie). This bonus is applied after any attribute modifiers from your Species or Talent.
  • Charming: Once per session, you may improve the disposition of any 1 non-adversary NPC by 5.
  • Paired Skills: Each time you gain 1 or more ranks in the Investigate skill, you also gain an equal number of ranks in the Search skill. This may not increase your Search skill beyond its maximum rank.

Magistrate
You use your position in the hierarchy to bring Justice to those who feel themselves above the common law.
  • Bonus Feat: Repartee Basics.
  • Attribute Training: The lower of your Charisma or Wisdom increases by 1 (your choice in the case of a tie). This bonus is applied after any attribute modifiers from your Species or Talent.
  • Paired Skills: Each time you gain 1 or more ranks in the Investigate skill, you also gain an equal number of ranks in the Impress skill. This may not increase your Impress skill beyond its maximum rank.
  • Shared Interest: Once per scene, you may speak to 1 of your team-mates for 1 minute to grant them the benefit of one of your interests until the end of the current scene.

Alignments

Alignment Skills Paths Weapon Opposed Alignment
Bushido Athletics, Crafting, Ride,
  Tactics
Discipline (cf, The Monk), Heroism, Strength,
  War
Katana ??
Imperial Magistrates
  (aka The Law)
Athletics, Bluff, Investigation,
  Search
Knowledge, Order, Righteousness (cf, The Monk),
  Truth
Jitte Ninjitsu
Ninjitsu Acrobatics, Bluff, Prestidigitation,
  Sneak
Darkness, Deceit, Secrets, Travel Ninja-to Imperial Magistrates

New Paths

Path of Truth
Truth I: You gain a +5 bonus with Sense Motive checks.
Truth II: Each time you fail an Investigate or Sense Motive check and don't suffer an error, you still succeed as long as the check DC (or your opponent's check result) is equal to or less than 20 + your levels in all class granting you steps along Paths. If several grades of success are possible, you achieve only the lowest possible positive result.
Truth III: You may cast Zone of Truth a number of times per session equal to your Path step.
Truth IV: You may cast True Seeing once per scene.
Truth V: You may cast Detect Lies a number of times per scene equal to your Wisdom modifier (min 1). Additionally, Bluff checks targeting you are always considered untrained unless the opponent spends an action die.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:20:27 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 12:17:51 PM »

Are all the new specialties meant to be for a Judge Dredd type game? Otherwise, forcing them to pick the specific alignment precludes any possiblities of using those specialties for corrupt law types. It lets you make people who do the wrong things for the right goal (ie: killing homeless people to prevent them from becoming criminals). But not outright dirty cops who work for the criminals against the law.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 12:45:23 PM »

Are all the new specialties meant to be for a Judge Dredd type game?

They could easily work in such a context (in which case the ritual weapon would (have to, really) become the LawGiver.

Otherwise, forcing them to pick the specific alignment precludes any possiblities of using those specialties for corrupt law types. It lets you make people who do the wrong things for the right goal (ie: killing homeless people to prevent them from becoming criminals). But not outright dirty cops who work for the criminals against the law.

See "Losing Your Religion" pg 309

The point at which you are deemed to have lost your alignment is nebulous, but if you want to jump ship that's really your choice and you either talk the GC into letting you have your subplot occur off-screen in order to start off evil or else you eat the 0.5 points and use one of your starting interests to pick up a new alignment.

Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »

Are the specialties supposed to be that homogeneous?  They seem to be tweaks to the same block.  Neat and all, but... I don't know.  I expect more variety in specialties.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 07:51:55 AM »

Are the specialties supposed to be that homogeneous?  They seem to be tweaks to the same block.  Neat and all, but... I don't know.  I expect more variety in specialties.

Yes, they're intended to be similar, but there's only a finite amount of variation available

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 10:21:22 AM »

Judge Dredd built on Priest levels following The Law as his alignment (ritual weapon: LawGiver) brings a huge smile to my face Cheesy.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »

Yeah, it really does.  Grin

Joe Dredd: MCJD Street-Judge Priest/Paladin

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 04:46:39 PM »

Path of Truth v2
Truth I: You gain a +5 bonus with Sense Motive checks.
Truth II: You gain the Human Nature class ability (see Adventure Companion, pg 104)
Truth III: You may cast Detect Lies a number of times per scene equal to your Path step.
Truth IV: You may cast True Seeing once per scene without having to pay the Preparation cost.
Truth V: You generate, and are also affected by, a permanent Zone of Truth with a radius equal to 5 ft. your Wisdom modifier (minimum 5 ft.). Additionally, Bluff checks targeting you are always considered untrained unless the opponent spends an action die.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: