Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 01:33:11 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Expert Class:Death Dancer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Expert Class:Death Dancer  (Read 1545 times)
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2011, 08:23:26 PM »

Death Dancer
Exotic and wild, alluring and dangerous as her whirling blades, the Death Dancer is what personifies quickness and grace. Although her motions may appear random they are a graceful mix of lethality played out according to her own rhythm.

Requirements: Dex 13+,Acrobatics 4+, Mobility Basics, Whirling Strike Trick,  Parry Trick

BAB: Fast
Fort: Medium
Ref: Fast
Will: Slow
Def: Medium
Init: Fast
Lifestyle: Slow
Legend: Slow

Skills: 4+Int Mod per level
Vitality: 12+ Con mod per level

Class Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, Impress, Intimidate, Notice, Resolve, Tactics

1     Dance of Death I, Slashing Blades
2     Ever-Moving I
3     Fancy Feet
4     Improved Reach, Wuxia I
5     Dance of Death II
6     Improved Reactions
7     Ever-Moving II, Fancy Feet
8     Masterís Touch I, Wuxia II
9     Dance of Death III
10   A Thousand Cuts

Core Ability
Slashing Blades: You may add your Class Level to the number of times you may use Whirling Strike and Parry per combat.

Class Abilities
    DDance of Death I: At Level 1, you gain Charging Basics
    Dance of Death II: At Level 5 you gain Charging Mastery.
    Dance of Death III: At Level 9 you gain Charging Supremacy.
     Ever-Moving I: At Level 2 you gain Mobility Mastery and your maximum Acrobatics rank increases to your career level +5.
    Ever-Moving II: At Level 7 you gain Mobility Supremacy and your maximum Acrobatics rank increase to your career level +7.
    Fancy Feet I: At Level 3, when you charge, you may also distract 1 opponent as a free action at any point along your movement (in addition to your attacks). Further, you may charge 2 additional times per combat.
    Fancy Feet II: At Level 7, when you charge, you may distract 1 additional opponent (total of 2), as a free action at any point along your movement (in addition to your attacks. Further, you may charge an additional 2 times per combat (Total of 4).
    Improved Reach: At Level 4, you melee and unarmed Reach increases by 1.
    Wuxia I: At Level 4, your Jump results are no longer limited by your height and the distance you Jump increases by 50% (rounded up).
    Wuxia II: At Level 8, the distance you Jump increases by an additional 50% (total of 100%), and youíre considered to weigh only 1 lb when determining if a surface or object can support you.
   Improved Reactions: At Level 6 you gain a +5 bonus to your Initiative and you may Parry an additional 2 times per round.
   Masterís Touch I: At Level 8, you may add 2 tricks to each attack. You may also apply unarmed tricks to melee attacks and vice-versa.
   A Thousand Cuts: At Level 10, you gain Cleave Basics and Cleave Mastery. Further, once per combat you may take an additional action for a 10 rounds.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:34:57 PM by Medwyn » Logged
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 10:09:14 PM »

The name should be changed.

Dervishes are Sufi Muslim ascetics.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 10:35:09 PM »

Name changed.
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 11:18:14 PM »

If you include the Whirling Strike trick, you're really including Two Weapon Fighting as a hidden requirement.

Master's Touch applies some nice benefits, but seems out of place. Whirling Strike + Jagged Slash seems like it might be fun, but the character may not have Jagged Slash, or anything else relevant. Plus, I have a hard time seeing mixing unarmed and melee tricks for this character.
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 11:38:20 PM »

If you include the Whirling Strike trick, you're really including Two Weapon Fighting as a hidden requirement.

Master's Touch applies some nice benefits, but seems out of place. Whirling Strike + Jagged Slash seems like it might be fun, but the character may not have Jagged Slash, or anything else relevant. Plus, I have a hard time seeing mixing unarmed and melee tricks for this character.

You don't need to have Two Weapon Fighting to have Whirling Strike, you just need to hold 2 weapons. Two Weapon Fighting just makes it better.

Master's Touch allows you to combine 2 tricks, they don't have to be unarmed, but they can be. This ability is at the same level as the Edgemaster, and there is only so much you can squeeze into a class, so to get the most out of this you may need to spend a proficiency or feat to gain a Trick. To me that is not a big deal to use the whole class abilities.

What do you think would be a better fit if not Master's Touch?
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 01:05:51 AM »

The class gets a bunch of feats and they're all pre picked, I mean 7 feats. Many Expert Classes only get 2, the dead Eye gets 5 and that is plenty. You could also drop Master's Touch for Reach II.

I've been playing with something similar. Try putting Tempo at 1, 5, 9. I can't find it right now but the game breaker was something like "At level 10, once per adventure as a free action you gain the benefits of the Wire Fu campaign quality for a number of rounds equal to your class level. If this Campaign Quality is already active the threat range of your melee attacks increase by 4 when attacking opponents when above ground."

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 01:12:28 AM »

Structurely, a) you've over priced the entry requirements, so you'll probably want to drop the whirling strike trick given your use of Parry boosts kinda requires the other, b) there's potentially a problem with granting Wuxia II which normally kicks in at level 16  -- a Martial Artist 8/Dervish 8 would have a dead level in terms of ability gain as there's no Wuxia III, a problem for an otherwise very likely build; replacing it with Superior Jumper II is an option, as is the combo of SJ I + rolling jump checks twice, and c) the game breaker feels "off"

Elsewise, there's nothing particularly wrong with it,  But I think there's room for improvement

Requirements: Dex 13+, Acrobatics 4+, Mobility Basics, Whirling Strike Trick

1. Bright Blade, Misdirection
  2. A Thousand Cuts
  3. Dervish Dance
  4. Misdirection, Wuxia I
  5. Dervish Dance
  6. Master's Touch I
  7. A Thousand Cuts, Dervish Dance
  8. Leaps & Bounds, Misdirection
  9. Dervish Dance
10. A Thousand Cuts

Core Ability
     Bright Blade: You gain a trick:
     Bright Blade (Melee Attack trick): While attacking with two or more 1-handed melee weapons, when you inflict damage you inflict an equal amount of flash damage. You may use this trick a number of times equal to your Dervish class level.

Class Abilities
     Misdirection: At level 1, you gain the Misdirection Basics feat and a bonus skill point every level that must be spent on Acrobatics.
     At level 4, you gain the Misdirection Mastery feat.
     At level 8, you gain the Misdirection Supremacy feat.
     A Thousand Cuts:  At level 2, you are considered to have an additional number of melee combat feats equal to your Charisma modifier, and you gain the Fend trick.
     At level 7, you gain the Back At You! trick, the number of times it may be used is instead based on the number of melee combat feats you possess.
     At level 10, your Whirling Strike trick is no longer limited by the number of feats you possess or times per round it may be performed. Further, when attacking with two or more 1-handed melee weapons, your attacks gain the bleed and excrutiating qualities, as well as keen equal to your starting action dice.
     Dervish Dance: At level 3, 5, 7 & 9, you may either gain one Basic Combat feat or take one step on the Path of Travel.
     Wuxia I: At level 4, you gain the Martial Artist ability of this name.
     Master's Touch I: At level 6, you gain the Martial Artist ability of this name.
     Leaps & Bounds: At level 8, you gain the Superior Jumper I ability and may roll Jump checks twice, keeping the result you prefer.

Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 01:47:35 AM »

Structurely, a) you've over priced the entry requirements, so you'll probably want to drop the whirling strike trick given your use of Parry boosts kinda requires the other, b) there's potentially a problem with granting Wuxia II which normally kicks in at level 16  -- a Martial Artist 8/Dervish 8 would have a dead level in terms of ability gain as there's no Wuxia III, a problem for an otherwise very likely build; replacing it with Superior Jumper II is an option, as is the combo of SJ I + rolling jump checks twice, and c) the game breaker feels "off"

Elsewise, there's nothing particularly wrong with it,  But I think there's room for improvement

Fair enough, you seem to be much wiser at this than I.

Where is the pricing for entry requirements for Expert Classes that you talk about?

With your rebuild you run into the same issue with Wuxia - Martial Artist 16/Dervish 4, might have to remove it and go with your Leaps & Bounds idea, and then put Improved Reach at Level 8.

Why do you use Charisma Modifer in thousand Cuts?

Also with the Back to You! trick, you need both your hands free, the class is built as a two weapon fighter type. Does that mean that you can drop your weapons as a free action to activate your Back to you Trick?
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 05:01:06 AM »

Quote from: Medwyn
Where is the pricing for entry requirements for Expert Classes that you talk about?

Expert Class requirements must come to 5 design points:
·   [1] Alignment
·   [1] Attribute 13+
·   [1] Base Attack Bonus 3+
·   [1] Interest x1
·   [1] Skill 4+ ranks
·   [1] Spells known (5)
·   [2] Attribute 15+
·   [2] Feat
·   [2] Interest x2
·   [2] Skill 6+ ranks
·   [2] Spells known (1/school)

With your rebuild you run into the same issue with Wuxia - Martial Artist 16/Dervish 4, might have to remove it and go with your Leaps & Bounds idea, and then put Improved Reach at Level 8.

True, though perhaps a less-likely build. In that case, Leaps & Bounds I would simply be Superior Jumper I + either a max Acrobatics level bump or calculating falling damage every 20 feet instead of every 10

Why do you use Charisma Modifer in thousand Cuts?

Because Charisma is about force of personality, and the blade techniques this class seems predicated on are as much about personal expression as they are physical dexterity in the old stories.

Also with the Back to You! trick, you need both your hands free, the class is built as a two weapon fighter type. Does that mean that you can drop your weapons as a free action to activate your Back to you Trick?

You won't always have your weapons, so this stops you being a one trick pony, plus it ties into the whole deadly dance/acrobatic technique in your fluff.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:03:17 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 06:03:39 AM »

You could put the Leaps and Bounds at 4 and Wuxia I at 8, that way you wouldn't hit any legacy ability combo problems.
pawsplay