Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 02:12:56 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread  (Read 121814 times)
bits
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: July 08, 2014, 04:04:54 PM »

Speaking of Darkness I-II….  the spell description says that covering it suppresses the spell, but the Area says it's a penetrating sphere?  Typo in the Area I assume since Occam's razor says that's the simplest solution...

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today,
I wish, I wish he'd go away...
Nuaurpy
Operative

The Shadow knows.

View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: July 08, 2014, 04:39:58 PM »

Speaking of Darkness I-II….  the spell description says that covering it suppresses the spell, but the Area says it's a penetrating sphere?  Typo in the Area I assume since Occam's razor says that's the simplest solution...

I'm not sure how it works, but covering the object that is emanating darkness suppresses it, but if the object isn't covered then the spell penetrates.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: July 08, 2014, 06:53:12 PM »

My understanding of Penetrating as adescriptor means that there's no ability to create a "blast shadow" within its range -- for instance, a 60' penetrating source of illumination means that a 10' tall standing stone wouldn't create a shadow (and similarly with a darkness spell it wouldn't create an area free of the spell's effects) just because someone standing behind the stone couldn't directly observe the origin point of the effect. Basically, the spell effect is like a gas, so as long as origin point isn't completely covered it can still escape and fill the volume of the effect.

(As a corollary of that interpretation, a 60' penetrating Darkness spell sealed in a 20' x 20' x 20' room wouldn't affect anywhere outside that cube until someone opens the door.)

Sensory spells with the penetrating descriptor however go through walls just fine because that's how drama says they should work (and I'd probably give an AD to the first person to carry around a lead sheet...)

bits
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: July 10, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »

Hmmm…  Okay, so penetrating means ignore cover and cover in this context means the Darkness envelopes everything in the area, but doesn't actually go through anything.  Okay, that makes sense.

NEW question.  A new player in my group wants to have the Guardian Specialty.  But it comes with Practiced Notice.  Has anyone dealt with this before?  I've always rolled Notice checks in secret since it's a subconscious skill.  So, how is the character supposed to know there is a roll to boost with an Action Die if he doesn't know it's being rolled?  How do others handle this?  I'm not about to tell the character that they failed a Notice check.

Practiced Notice: If you spend an action die to boost a Notice check and it still fails, you gain the die back after the action is resolved. Against multiple targets you only regain the die if the check fails against all of them.

Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2239 on: July 11, 2014, 12:39:37 AM »

Do you at least inform them that a roll is being made on their behalf? Doesn't mean you have to tell them what it is, but it still gives them an opportunity to boost it.

Following that logic, if your PC with Practiced Notice boosts the roll and it fails, you could always delay the return of the AD until after they have reacted accordingly. You don't even have to tell them why they are getting the AD back.

Not sure if this helps, but at least it's a thought.

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
bits
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: July 11, 2014, 06:42:32 AM »

Do you at least inform them that a roll is being made on their behalf? Doesn't mean you have to tell them what it is, but it still gives them an opportunity to boost it.

No, I don't tell them, because the roll is supposed to be hidden and I think it interferes with the cinematically dramatic effect(s) the game offers.  I guess this would only become a problem if the person in question has the best Notice skill and I'm doing a group check, otherwise I sidestep most of the issue.  There's also the principle of good role playing as well and not engaging in meta-gaming using knowledge the character shouldn't have.  It's probably a case-by-case issue.  I definitely appreciate the discussion it helps clarify things in my mind ahead of time!!

Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2241 on: July 11, 2014, 10:49:30 AM »

No, I don't tell them, because the roll is supposed to be hidden and I think it interferes with the cinematically dramatic effect(s) the game offers.  I guess this would only become a problem if the person in question has the best Notice skill and I'm doing a group check, otherwise I sidestep most of the issue.  There's also the principle of good role playing as well and not engaging in meta-gaming using knowledge the character shouldn't have.  It's probably a case-by-case issue.  I definitely appreciate the discussion it helps clarify things in my mind ahead of time!!

I love discussion. Let's try another approach. You could pre-roll the AD in secret. If it leads to success then you can ask if they want to spend the AD. If not, nothing changes. Would that work for ya?

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
bits
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: July 12, 2014, 04:17:37 AM »

Pre-rolling the whole thing is a good idea.  I could have them roll 10 notice skills ahead of time and ask them for each one whether they want to spend action dice on those (assuming they have action dice when the roll is actually needed).  They won't know the DC, but they are't supposed to anyway.  Then I can roll a d10 and see which one they actually used.  Evil

TKDB
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: July 22, 2014, 09:01:07 PM »

"Flawless" skill abilities (such as the Burglar's Very Very Sneaky) don't work on opposed checks, as opposed checks don't have DCs, correct? So a Burglar doesn't automatically succeed Trip checks when the enemy rolls lower than 20 + his level, an Explorer doesn't automatically succeed Grapples, etc.?
Nuaurpy
Operative

The Shadow knows.

View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: July 22, 2014, 10:08:40 PM »

"Flawless" skill abilities (such as the Burglar's Very Very Sneaky) don't work on opposed checks, as opposed checks don't have DCs, correct? So a Burglar doesn't automatically succeed Trip checks when the enemy rolls lower than 20 + his level, an Explorer doesn't automatically succeed Grapples, etc.?

Quote from:  The Book
"you still succeed as long as the check DC (or your opponent’s check result) is equal to or less than your Class Level + 20."
So it does work against opposed rolls. It would also fundamentally need to or else flawless sneak would fall apart since it's only use is opposed rolls.
TKDB
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: July 22, 2014, 11:08:19 PM »

"you still succeed as long as the check DC (or your opponent’s check result) is equal to or less than your Class Level + 20."
So it does work against opposed rolls. It would also fundamentally need to or else flawless sneak would fall apart since it's only use is opposed rolls.

Derp, whoops. Should've checked the actual text rather than going by memory...
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: July 23, 2014, 12:10:27 AM »

An opposed roll is simply a randomised DC instead of a static one.

MezzoCatorce
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: July 23, 2014, 12:13:09 AM »

Something I wanted to ask, but uses words too common to effectively search for it.

Some tricks, like Fend, Shove, Entwine, etc specify an "open" square.

For the purposes of these tricks, is a square over empty space considered "open"?

Entwine from Whip Mastery lets me move anybody I can hit with a whip attack to an open adjacent square. If there's a 5 foot pit between me and an opponent 10 feet away, can I entwine him and drag him into the pit? If an enemy was standing in front of the pit, between me and the pit, can I use a Shove trick to push him into it?
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: July 23, 2014, 12:32:39 AM »

Some options specify that you can't move the opponent into a terminal situation, but yes, an open square is simply one that is not occupied by person or object. It does not of neccesity have to be safe.

Slashes-With-Claws
Agent

I will eat your heart!

View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: July 23, 2014, 09:21:34 AM »

That is something makes them so wonderfully effective.  My sneaky Burglar, Sheskar, gets to not worry about sneaking penalties most of the time since the enemy tends to roll below his auto-success and penalties do not affect that.  When they roll higher though is when all those penalties come into play.

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: