Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2014, 12:24:19 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread  (Read 131786 times)
Nuaurpy
Operative

The Shadow knows.

View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: October 17, 2014, 01:05:12 PM »

I'll be playing in a monster hunting campaign soon as a Mage I rolled up. I plan on making a lot of big bucks, but I was wondering whether or not I should focus on Panache rather than Prudence, because I plan on doing a lot of crafting and have a high Haggle score to buy lots of stuff cheaply at the end of each adventure so I don't lose as much cash. Is this a viable strategy?

It really depends on how you want to spend your money. If you've got a great haggle score you can pick up a lot of little things with that income. It can stretch pretty far. However if you ever want to buy something worth more than 500 silver... good luck? Using the example of something worth 1500 silver (high end or decently upgraded armour, a lot of vehicles or some of the more exotic mounts), even if you haggle them down to 50% it's still 750 silver, which you'll have a tough time affording until later levels when you'll just be swimming in silver anyway. It comes down to this, do you care about big purchases like a galley or fitted articulated plate? you'll want Prudence. Do you never see yourself wearing fitted articulated plate or buying a really nice boat? Panache and crafting will do everything you want them to.
Ares
Handler

deus ex machina

View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: October 17, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »

Panache is generally more valuable, since you also increase your appearance.
It is rather easy to invest all your spare money into high value goods and to sell them for halve if you need cash. 
Distilled elixirs, spices and (masterwork) pocket watches are excellent investments for low prudence characters to avoid the temptation to spend all their money.

But don't be surprised if one day your GM destroys your stash...  Wink

Plan B: Use more fire
Creamor
diregroves
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: October 17, 2014, 04:46:54 PM »

@Nuaurpy,
@Ares
I was planning on investing in small expensive things, yeah. As well as crafting potions myself with the Alchemy feat and bumping up their value further using the crafting basics feat tree.

Is it at all possible to give money to other party members who have high Prudence for safekeeping before an adventure ends or is that too cheesy? Also, if I manage to sell a whole bunch of items at a high enough price, shouldn't it be doable to reach 750 silver?
Ares
Handler

deus ex machina

View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: October 17, 2014, 05:05:57 PM »

Sure, if one of your party members happens to be an exceptional good money handler. There is a reason why there are personal bankers and trustees.

But as mentioned by Nuaurpy: At a certain point in the game, silver becomes a lot less important. (For crafting oriented characters a lot sooner - provided they have enough downtime).

Plan B: Use more fire
Creamor
TKDB
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: October 18, 2014, 11:48:37 PM »

Is it at all possible to give money to other party members who have high Prudence for safekeeping before an adventure ends or is that too cheesy?

Personally, I'd say the "save up in the form of items to sell off later" tactic is way cheesier than giving your money to a high-Prudence buddy to look after. Considering what Panache and Prudence are meant to represent, saving up in the form of items is really kind of a failure to roleplay. To me, it feels sort of the same as dumping mental stats to make a beastly combatant and then just using out-of-character smarts to come up with clever plans and solutions even though your character is a dimwitted musclehead who, according to the character sheet, should never be able to come up with such things.

Prudence represents your character's ability for long-term financial planning and impulse control, so loading up on Panache at the expense of Prudence and then effectively giving yourself Prudence 7 (or higher if you can Haggle the resale price up!) for free by investing all your cash on hand in trade goods is pretty cheesy. It's taking advantage of an artifact of the game abstraction to circumvent a mechanical limitation that's supposed to represent a limited ability for your character to do exactly the sort of long-term money management that you're doing.

By contrast, it makes plenty of sense for a low-Prudence character to realize, "Man, I have a terrible habit of always blowing all my coin on ale and wenches. Hey, Bob, you're good with money. Can I ask you to hang onto this for me to save me from my own stupidity?" It's the difference between an in-character and an out-of-character solution to the problem. It's one thing if you're buying things you actually intend to use but could sell off to fund a more important purchase, but personally, if I were GMing for a player who kept buying stuff solely for investment purposes to circumvent a low Prudence, I'd probably start revoking last-call shopping privileges if they didn't cut it out when asked nicely.

Just my take on it, anyway. I have somewhat strong feelings on the matter, but in the end that's only my opinion, and as the system tagline goes, "Your dungeon, your dragon, your way."
Nuaurpy
Operative

The Shadow knows.

View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: October 19, 2014, 01:59:11 AM »

Man, I have a terrible habit of always blowing all my coin on ale and wenches.

Whenever I explain Prudence to new players, I always tell them that they keep X% of their money and the rest represents all the silver spent on hookers and blow.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2286 on: October 19, 2014, 02:02:05 AM »

Man, I have a terrible habit of always blowing all my coin on ale and wenches.

Whenever I explain Prudence to new players, I always tell them that they keep X% of their money and the rest represents all the silver spent on hookers and blow.

Probably one of the best explanations although I tend to swap out blow for beer

Living Spycraft Masterm
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: October 19, 2014, 02:13:06 AM »

By contrast, it makes plenty of sense for a low-Prudence character to realize, "Man, I have a terrible habit of always blowing all my coin on ale and wenches. Hey, Bob, you're good with money. Can I ask you to hang onto this for me to save me from my own stupidity?" It's the difference between an in-character and an out-of-character solution to the problem. It's one thing if you're buying things you actually intend to use but could sell off to fund a more important purchase, but personally, if I were GMing for a player who kept buying stuff solely for investment purposes to circumvent a low Prudence, I'd probably start revoking last-call shopping privileges if they didn't cut it out when asked nicely.

This is where I disagree. Realizing that you suck at saving money and need to hire a financial planner to do it for you is something Prudent people do.

It's really just another cheesy way to take max Panache (and Income) and then never having to suffer the consequences of having a zero Prudence.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Nuaurpy
Operative

The Shadow knows.

View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: October 19, 2014, 02:25:03 AM »

This is where I disagree. Realizing that you suck at saving money and need to hire a financial planner to do it for you is something Prudent people do.

It's really just another cheesy way to take max Panache (and Income) and then never having to suffer the consequences of having a zero Prudence.

I would agree, but here's a question.

What would you say if a high prudence character said "Look Jim, you keep spending all your money at the horse track. From now on I think if it's best that I hold on to the majority of your money for you." to the other character?
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: October 19, 2014, 03:58:32 AM »

I would agree, but here's a question.

What would you say if a high prudence character said "Look Jim, you keep spending all your money at the horse track. From now on I think if it's best that I hold on to the majority of your money for you." to the other character?

Unfortunately this comes from personal experience Sad, but the usual response from someone with no prudence is "F*&@ off, it's my money, I'm going to spend it however I want."

But even if said character agreed, high Panache has a higher income (more coin in hand at the start of each adventure) and lives a flashier lifestyle that gives a benefit as a higher appearance. If someone else is applying their prudence score to his money, he isn't living as someone who has a higher Panache. If I allow it all, which is unlikely, whatever increased benefit he gains for Prudence is going to be trimmed off his Panache.

Panache: "All right, all right, I'll stop gambling at the track. At least I still have my woven gold garments, crowns and nightly orgies to look forward to." (Adventure Companion pg 26)
Prudence: "What!? No, you're trying to save money here. No orgies, no gold garments, no crowns."
Panache: "No orgies? Man, how can you even live with yourself."

Prudence and Panache fall under Lifestyle for a reason. You don't get to live it up AND save it all. Letting someone take all Panache and using someone else's Prudence to basically double their effective Lifestyle is absolutely gaming the system.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Nuaurpy
Operative

The Shadow knows.

View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: October 19, 2014, 09:36:41 PM »

Yup, that's fair, we're in agreement. I might let them have a small amount of their income but they get no Appearance mod because they're not blowing a lot of cash on appearance.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: