Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2015, 07:53:25 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Mysterious Freelancer Revealed! Plus Spellbound Status Report!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mysterious Freelancer Revealed! Plus Spellbound Status Report!  (Read 16527 times)
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

We have all the time in the world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: July 21, 2015, 09:21:39 AM »

Gen Con is fast approaching and it's eaten up too much of my July, I'm afraid. There's just no way Spellbound's getting done before I leave.

It's not being canceled when we're this close to the end of it (I have no idea why anyone would think that it would be, but someone will - someone always does).

It is off-schedule again. I have deadlines when I get back that simply cannot move.

I would appreciate it if you could keep negative comments to yourself, please. If you absolutely must post them, know that I will probably not respond. I just don't have it in me to engage with that right now.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is broken.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: July 21, 2015, 10:42:45 AM »

Best of luck on getting everything done, Pat. We're a loyal and patient lot. I have no issue with the time since I trust the quality.

Living Spycraft Masterm
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 21, 2015, 11:54:03 AM »

It's okay: not at any stage of development where I know how the setting I want to run deals with magic.
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 21, 2015, 02:29:10 PM »

I'm pretty sure deadlines were named because they kill the people they're aimed at.  Good luck Crafties!  *said from behind a literal mountain of paperwork* 
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

We have all the time in the world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: July 21, 2015, 02:39:45 PM »

I'm pretty sure deadlines were named because they kill the people they're aimed at.  Good luck Crafties!  *said from behind a literal mountain of paperwork*  

It sure as hell feels that way sometimes...

Good luck with the papers, mang!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is broken.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: July 22, 2015, 08:26:15 PM »

I would appreciate it if you could keep negative comments to yourself, please. If you absolutely must post them, know that I will probably not respond. I just don't have it in me to engage with that right now.
The worst I can muster is a promise for the beverage of your choice at its proper temperature.  No promises on the comfy chair.   Wink

You can't hustle art.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 19, 2015, 09:57:48 AM »

I hope it's okay to ask simple questions.  If not I'm sorry, but I'm finally thinking about Fantasy Craft magic and need to do something related to it to scratch the itch.

Is the ritual casting system still in?

You mention there are going to be new Origins.  Are these just Specialties, or is there some Species stuff?
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 19, 2015, 10:42:30 AM »

Yes.

You mention there are going to be new Origins.  Are these just Specialties, or is there some Species stuff?

Specialties only.

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 19, 2015, 10:44:41 AM »

Specialties only.
Still cool. Grin
Bhurano
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 19, 2015, 10:47:28 PM »

Yes.

This will be awesome. Grin
I am very interested to see how that plays out on the table and eager to see your spin on ritual magic for FC.

I really love the fact that in every Crafty Game, anyone is awesome and I do appreciate the hard work that goes into Spellbound,
especially because a LOT of other developers would have either abandoned a project of this magnitude or released it half-baked.

The best example is The Dark Eye, a german RPG, that in it's fifth iteration did a LOT to crush the fun out of their magic system.
Comparing the sad excuse of a supposed combat mage in that system, to a chaneller or even bog standard wizard in Fantasy Craft
goes a long, long way to show how awesome Fantasy Craft classes are. Grin

Fearing that arcane classes, or specifically the guild mages, would unbalance the game, they are subject to a host of disadvantages to stop "power gaming". Roll Eyes
A slowly regenerating power source, astral points, that can stop a mage from using his powers for a week or more, after burst acitivities.
They are also prohibited on using armor, due to iron/steel interfering with their magic and guild mages aren't allowed to wear armor, even padded armor is out.
The limited range of supposedly combat spells is another serious problem.
The main stay of every wizards magic firepower has the incredible range of 16 m, which can theoretically be doubled... which is still hilariously pathetic. Roll Eyes
And this goes basically through the entire spell system, to use a fear spell you can at best be 14 m away from your target and usually it is only 7 m.
To top it all off, besides illusion spells - which can be easily discerned as such Roll Eyes - each and every spell, for now at least, targets only one person.

Hell, the stuff someone with Glint of Madness can pull in FC could be interpreted as working "magic" and it would be considered power-gaming in The Dark Eye. Grin
And thinking about the simple fact that wizards and at least the arcane savant are capable of casting a set of limited spells infinitely,
would lead to lots and lots of heart attacks among The Dark Eye players.

Also, I won't ever giving up my gun toting, troll stomping, jackbooted wizard in plate armor. Evil Grin
It's just to damn funny, to throw around bombs and fireballs and shoving a Blunderbuss into someones face. Grin
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 20, 2015, 02:31:52 PM »

Casters being too powerful with respect to other character options is a legitimate concern: see D&D 3/Pathfinder.  I've gotten the impression Fantasy Craft does a good job toning down casters and spells from those editions, and it definitely buffs up fighting-types.

Making magic weak is also totally a legitimate design choice.
Mutt
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 20, 2015, 04:08:30 PM »

In a class-and-level-based game, characters of the same level should be roughly equal or have the potential to be equal to one-another in effectiveness. I'd say FC does that pretty damn well!
Bhurano
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 20, 2015, 04:59:27 PM »

Casters being too powerful with respect to other character options is a legitimate concern: see D&D 3/Pathfinder. 

Yupp, agreed, but believe me when I say that The Black Eye went way, way overboard.
The book telling me, on the other hand, that combat mages in the setting are supposed to be powerful and respected members of military units, falls flat when said mages have only spells that usually affect single targets for neglegible damage and can only be cast at a range that is anemic... usually in the 8 or 16 m range. Roll Eyes
And on top of that said guild mages aren't even allowed to wear armor, they even need a special excemption to don padded armor.
Still the writers in charge try to sell them as assets that are somehow military important, despite all these limitations and the simple fact that their numbers are limited.
And I didn't even list all of their limitations, there are still more built into the system.
At that point it comes more off as them doing all they can to turn mages into an unplayable mess.

I've gotten the impression Fantasy Craft does a good job toning down casters and spells from those editions, and it definitely buffs up fighting-types.

Hell yeah, and the game is better for it, but a bit comes also from the fact that there are lots of options to deal with opponents, beyond mere Sword & Sorcery.
Everyone is awesome in their own right and mages are fun to play.
Quite frankly FC has set the gold standard in my book, when it comes to class and magic balance. Grin

Making magic weak is also totally a legitimate design choice.

Which I agree with, but at least tell the players so and don't set up Fluff and Lore to tell something else.
Hell, one of the funniest attempts of mine to play a mage in FC was with the Corrupting Magic quality active... but I knew full well what was coming my way. Evil
We ruled that the moment a Mage would be entirely corrupted a demon would burst out of his mortal shell. Evil
Let's just say that I didn't play that character for long and that it ended in a near TPK, due to the circumstances of my mage re-imagining a certain Alien scene. Grin
In my defense... FOUR freakin' 1's in a row is something that the dice gods shouldn't have allowed to happen. Shocked Grin
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 20, 2015, 06:36:46 PM »

Which I agree with, but at least tell the players so and don't set up Fluff and Lore to tell something else.
I had a feeling I should say "Of course I don't know Dark Eye beyond reputation....."
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: