Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 12:49:01 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  [LABORATORY] The final Spellbound spells
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [LABORATORY] The final Spellbound spells  (Read 2488 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2014, 04:11:08 AM »

brought it up because Notice checks are explicitly noted in the team check rules as something you ought to use those rules for.

It's noted as a way to play the odds on the result of the check, not as the correct way to make the check.

aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2014, 05:02:15 AM »

Let's give it a try. I like the proposed effects, so I'm gonna try to stick to them.

Guardian Spirit I
Level: 0 Calling
Casting Time: 1 round
Distance: Personal
Duration: 10 minutes
Effect: You call a minor spirit to assist you with simple tasks. Intangible and invisible to all but you, this shapeless entity is essentially an extension of yourself, although it may be banished or dispelled like any other summoned creature. The Guardian Spirit grants you a +1 insight bonus to all cooperative checks you take part in, either as leader or helper.

Guardian Spirit II
Level: 3 Calling
Duration: 1 hour per Casting Level
Effect: As Guardian Spirit I, but the entity also has your back. For the duration of the spell, you cannot be flanked and sleeping is not a Terminal Situation for you. Also, you may end the spell prematurely to gain a +5 insight bonus on a single saving throw.

Guardian Spirit III
Level: 6 Calling
Effect: As Guardian Spirit II, but the entity cannot be fooled anymore. For the duration of the spell, you cannot be flat-footed and you may always act during surprise rounds. Also, you may end the spell prematurely to automatically succeed with a single saving throw.

I must say I really like what you've done with Seven Days, great job!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 05:05:21 AM by aegis » Logged
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2014, 05:40:42 AM »

I like the sleeping rule, and the limitation to cooperative checks.

I agree with TKDB on immunity to being flat-footed being a bit much as just one portion of a level 6 spell's bonus, though.

Also, in terms of it being there / not there, what if it only exists as an entity for purposes of party numbers (being outnumbered etc)?
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2014, 06:06:16 AM »

brought it up because Notice checks are explicitly noted in the team check rules as something you ought to use those rules for.

It's noted as a way to play the odds on the result of the check, not as the correct way to make the check.

The rules flat out say if everyone is going to make a Notice check it should be run as a Team check. That's also how it was explained at least once by one of the Trio back in the day. It's also a explicit example in SC2.0.

If you're going to have the whole team roll Notice, just tell them what they see. It's the same thing.

Oh, and Hi! I run it that way and did in the PbP games you were in.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
bits
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2014, 06:37:52 AM »

Being immune to flat-footed condition for 1 hour per level does seem a bit strong for a 6th level spell when comparing it to the benefits granted by other long-lasting 6th levels spells such as Mass Status, or Tongues II.  Don't know if it's possible to tone that part down, perhaps being given a reflex save (DC 10/15) to avoid becoming flat-footed though other affects (e.g paralyzed) may still cause it?  

Other than that I like aegis' version well-enough.

Analog dos mirabus spirae cuttar, nimbus hypnosticos lazzum bid-dar!
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2014, 06:53:40 AM »

Off the top of my head and without checking language, but maybe grant a grade of Uncanny Dodge?

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2014, 07:04:57 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Ultimately though the above discussion is likely moot because if you're casting this spell, it's most likely going to be in a situation where the target -- and given that the effects seem to be essentially a Blessing effect reskinned as Calling, I think it should have a range of "touch or personal" -- has a Notice bonus that is mechanically significant. Assuming you don't just include "[blah] checks you benefit from" language I suppose

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2014, 07:06:23 AM »

Off the top of my head and without checking language, but maybe grant a grade of Uncanny Dodge?

Stackable or non-stackable, as with some other UD-granting effect I can't recall off the top of my head?

paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2014, 09:27:55 AM »

All the ones I know of are stackable, and I think this should be too.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2014, 11:32:44 AM »

That was the intent behind the extemporaneous thought since it is a higher level spell, so it will remain relevant for almost everyone and not a completely silly over or under powered effect.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: