Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread  (Read 298486 times)

Nuaurpy

• Handler
  • The Shadow knows.
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread
« Reply #2970 on: October 22, 2017, 11:26:05 PM »
Questions regarding damage types, massive damage and Wrath of Nature (Force of Nature gamebreaker).

1. Some damage types explicitly mention that they cannot cause critical injuries, but I couldn't find anything in the rules that would connect these restrictions to massive damage. So can all damage cause massive damage?

2. Depending on the answer above, which damage types take Keen quality into account while calculating massive damage?

3. Wrath of Nature changes all melee damage to certain type (while raging), so I assume that while in Rage stance you cannot choose between the types. With stress damage, this makes Rage (even if only ever so slightly) situational and specific, since sometimes you just want to deal lethal. Is this effect intended? I'd argue that majority of all class abilities are strict upgrades but this is a clear exception, if I understood correctly.
Especially since for example the Fencing line grants choice...

1 is sort of subject to the GM, Massive damage is just the extreme case of Critical injuries, so no you cannot blind a person to death. but the GM might make an exception for some damage types like Subdual (hammers can still kill) or stress (being scared to death)

2 Because of the un-concrete nature of the answer to 1 the answer here is similar, ask your GM. Personally I would say that it only works on damage that actually applies to vitality ... and maybe subdual depending on the weapon.

3. Dealing stress damage is a massive upgrade except for the few cases where something is immune to it (it bypasses DR, limited resistances to it, stacking Debuffs and usually a much faster way to KO specials). I personally play that against standards any type of damage converts to lethal before interacting with immunities (because otherwise skeletons are immune to hammers) and thus it would still be effective 90% of the time and for that 10%... well you're not required to rage all of the time.

Eldazare

• Recruit
  • Questionaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: October 24, 2017, 02:21:46 AM »
Skeletal template has Achilles heel blunt. So that only non-skeletal undead are immune to (some) hammers. Not all blunt weapons deal subdual damage.
But that's beside the point.

I agree that being able to deal stress damage is huge boon, but I specifically asked that  "Is this effect intended?", referring to the fact that it decreases the usefulness of a feat chain in specific situation(s). Even as the overall effect of this class ability is overwhelmingly positive.
I wondered this because from my experience no other ability/feat acts this way, they are all either offer a choice or grant you an ability that at least doesn't lower the effectiveness of previous abilities.
Especially when there's Fencing Mastery that offers choice, so surely being able to change type is not that strong (especially when this is supposed to be the "gamebreaker" ability).

Even if a Force of Nature becomes embodiment of it's element, I feel it's unreasonable that some elements would be entirely unable to affect undead in this state. An elemental is still able to wield it's weapon but is unable to swing it to damage, just to spook/make noise (sonic)? I don't get why this would make sense.

I just want to know if this forced damage type has a reason behind it, before I browbeat influence my GM to bend the RAW for me. Because I see no reason to weaken previously available choices. Especially when Elemental legacy can grant elemental type AND doesn't restrict the type of damage the elemental is able to deal.

TheVastator

• Handler
  • Everything is better with pirates!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: October 24, 2017, 02:54:39 AM »
Skeletal template has Achilles heel blunt. So that only non-skeletal undead are immune to (some) hammers. Not all blunt weapons deal subdual damage.
But that's beside the point.
basically everyone here turns the subdual damage to lethal damage when talking about blunt weapons vs undead/constructs/whatever. Because it doesn't really make sense :)
Just treat the enemy as an object like the manual suggests.

Searcher

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: October 24, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »
I have a question about the Spell Library feat.

You learn an amount equal to your lifestyle additional spells, now when calculation lifestyle do you calculate
Lifestyle gained from your class
Lifestyle from class + charisma modifier (since charisma modifier earn you additional lifestyle points to distribute)
or
Lifestyle from class + charisma modifier + bonuses from things like thrifty/flashy which increases prudence/panache by 2 each?

Desertpuma

• Control
  • Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
« Reply #2974 on: October 24, 2017, 11:44:59 AM »

You learn an amount equal to your lifestyle additional spells, now when calculation lifestyle do you calculate
Lifestyle from class + charisma modifier (since charisma modifier earn you additional lifestyle points to distribute)
or
Lifestyle from class + charisma modifier + bonuses from things like thrifty/flashy which increases prudence/panache by 2 each?

I calculate it using class, Charima mod, and any other bonuses to panache and prudence since they also makeup the Lifestyle score

LSpy Mastermind

Nuaurpy

• Handler
  • The Shadow knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: October 24, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »

or

Total lifestyle, all of it. Whatever the final number is at the end of all bonuses is the number of additional spells you learn.

Big_Jim

• Control
  • An integral part of any plan for world domination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: October 24, 2017, 01:05:27 PM »
And when you get more lifestyle, you get more spell slots.