Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 31, 2015, 07:34:39 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread  (Read 143462 times)
Ares
Control

deus ex machina

View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: January 28, 2015, 08:28:33 AM »

I'd say that is a decision your GM has to make.

Personally, I'd allow you unlimited uses of lvl. 0 spells (since that is their main stick). I am also convinced that you can produce an item without the maximum number of charges.

Plan B: Use more fire
Creamor
Slashes-With-Claws
Operative

I will eat your heart!

View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: January 28, 2015, 08:31:41 AM »

Charm: Spell Effect, Table 4.39.  No usage number is listed for level 0 spells.  Am I to assume that means they get unlimited uses per scene?  Or do I use Table 4.32 and have to buy each per-scene use?

For purposes of Charms, Level 0 spells are treated like Level 1.  See Table 4.32 for that.

Also are the numbers on Table 4.39 maximum numbers or absolute numbers?  In essence when you pay for number of uses can you choose a lesser amount without sacrificing the item's level (which may be necessary for calculations like Casting Level)?

So, you want to get fewer uses to save rep cost but keep the item's level for purposes of Spell Level?  I do not see anything about it.  Would probably be up to the GM.  But, the RAW could be interpreted as if you have one use of a Level 1 spell then that item is also Level 1 and if you want higher, you have to pay for more uses.  Talk to your GM though, that is a fuzzy area.  They may allow it.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: January 28, 2015, 01:58:01 PM »

The "Mind Blank" spell: what exactly does it do?  The thing is its language is not as technical as I would expect, leaving me wondering which parts of the spell description are fluff or if it's all mechanics.  More specifically the part about "One characterís thoughts and emotions canít be read.": is this a mechanical effect?  Or is the intent of the spell to shut out magical methods only?
Can I also get some opinions on this?
TKDB
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: January 30, 2015, 09:31:48 PM »

The "Mind Blank" spell: what exactly does it do?  The thing is its language is not as technical as I would expect, leaving me wondering which parts of the spell description are fluff or if it's all mechanics.  More specifically the part about "One character’s thoughts and emotions can’t be read.": is this a mechanical effect?  Or is the intent of the spell to shut out magical methods only?

Given that there's only one other sentence of Effect text, and it begins with "Also," I'm inclined to assume that "one character's thoughts and emotions can't be read" is intended to be a mechanical effect. At least one of the two sentences must be mechanical, and the use of the word "also" to begin the second implies that both lines are of the same type of content, so they must both be mechanical.

However, the precise meaning of "can't be read" is pretty fuzzy. Could mean only literal mind-reading (ie, magic), but it could also extend to other extraordinary methods of getting insight on a character (eg, Cold Read) or even simply using Sense Motive checks to get a feel for a character's mental state. I have a suspicion this is one of those things left deliberately vague for the GM to make a judgment call.

EDIT: Forgot I came in here to ask a question myself.
What would the appropriate check be to make an object or piece of scenery look like something it's not? Can you use Disguise on objects? Or would it be some kind of Crafting check (perhaps using the Craft skill with the Mask check rules)?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:36:27 PM by TKDB » Logged
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: Today at 03:14:50 PM »

Okay, thanks.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: Today at 03:22:15 PM »

I'd say it depends on the object and how you want to disguise it.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: Today at 07:31:52 PM »

EDIT: Forgot I came in here to ask a question myself.
What would the appropriate check be to make an object or piece of scenery look like something it's not? Can you use Disguise on objects? Or would it be some kind of Crafting check (perhaps using the Craft skill with the Mask check rules)?

Disguise is for living things.

You are looking for a Craft/Modify check, perhaps stealing the Mask rules for DCs.

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: