Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread  (Read 290144 times)

Bill Whitmore

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread
« Reply #2910 on: September 24, 2017, 05:32:58 PM »
OK we will try and do it using "Word of God" for the next few sessions and see how it is, although I suspect it's going to make some combats very boring.

I prefer the "Word of God" approach.

Strictly speaking, your are NOT required to make an Athletics check on your turn if you are Grappled. You are allowed to take Free Actions and Delay is a Free Action. If I am grappled by someone who has a far superior Athletics score and they get to make my life worse if I try to escape and fail, I am just going to Delay until my party has a chance to deal with him or I have to forfeit my actions for the turn.

So what seems more boring:
   * Character A grapples Character B, Character B does nothing.
   * Character A grapples Character B, Character B makes a desperate attempt to escape
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

Mister Andersen 2.0

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: Today at 01:44:55 AM »
That sounds suspiciously like cheating  :P

But clever as the move is in the standard if you can't win play not to lose plaubook, I find it hard to describe doing nothing and forfeiting your action as not the boring option

paddyfool

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: Today at 07:26:19 AM »
If going by the Word of God approach, it might be tempting to homebrew a feat option for skilled grapplers to work faster:

Basic combat feat: Swift Wrestler
Prerequisite: Wrestling basics
Bonuses: When you have the held condition, any opponent who has grappled you also gains the held condition. However, while you both have the held condition, either of you may gain any grapple benefit from a successful grapple check that does not require the opponent to be pinned, and you may gain benefits from checks you win on your opponent's turn. (They may not opt out of making such checks).

Too much? Obviously it breaks away from the normal feat structure, but the requirement fits. (However, I guess we should move any further discussion of this  across to LtI).

Bill Whitmore

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: Today at 09:58:31 AM »
That sounds suspiciously like cheating  :P

But clever as the move is in the standard if you can't win play not to lose plaubook, I find it hard to describe doing nothing and forfeiting your action as not the boring option

You are right about the playing not to lose.

I was playing a Pech and I watched as one of our enemies grabbed, pinned and then coup de Graced one of my allies (Wrestling Supremacy). He survived and managed to break free but on the next turn he grabbed me instead. On my turn, if I had tried to escape I'd likely be pinned and then Coup de Graced on his turn. By doing nothing I basically bought my party 2 rounds to free me instead of just dying.
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.