Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 01:40:56 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Expert Class: Reaver
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Expert Class: Reaver  (Read 1167 times)
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2011, 05:34:08 PM »

I have a new campaign on the horizon and I'm going through tailoring Expert and Master classes for the campaign. In this campaign there is a group of humans loosely based upon a Nordic Viking culture and I am hoping to capture this in a class. I'd prefer an Expert class and thought I'd turn to the forums to gather guidance on forming a solid class.

The Reaver class in my head should be a fearsome warrior who is at home on the Longships and leaps into the Surf and rages onto shore to battle and plunder. I'm leaning towards this class being a leadership role at higher levels, having some bonus towards seamanship and most likely using the Rage Feat Tree.

So here is version 2

Reaver

Requirements: BAB 3+, Glint of Madness, Water Vehicle Foci, Study: Midgard

BAB: Fast
Fort: Fast
Ref: Medium
Will: Slow
Def: Slow
Init: Medium
Lifestyle: Medium
Legend: Medium

Skills: 4+Int Mod per level
Vitality: 12+ Con mod per level

Class Skills: Athletics, Crafting, Intimidate, Notice, Resolve, Ride, Search & Survival

1    Pillage, Rager I
2    Seadog I
3    Howl I
4    Armour Use I, Study the Stance
5    Rager II
6    Rough Living
7    Howl II, Seadog II
8    Armour Use II, Seamanship
9    Rager III
10  Valhalla I Am Coming!

Core Ability
 Pillage: At level 1, you gain the Adventurer's Luck feat.

Class Abilities
     Rager I: At level 1, you gain the Rage Basics feat.
     Rager II: At level 5, you gain the Rage Mastery feat.
     Rager III: At level 9, you gain the Rage Supremacy feat.
     Seadog I: At level 2, you gain the Pathfinder Basics (aquatic) feat, and may cast Endure Elements once per session as a free action.
     Seadog II: At level 7, you gain the Pathfinder Supremacy feat, and may cast Endure Elements once per scene.
     Howl I: At Level 3, you may Threaten up to 3 standard opponents at once. You roll only once for the action, while each opponent rolls to resist separately.
     Howl II: At level 7, you gain the following trick.
     Howl (Threaten trick): When you succeed with a Threaten action, you also automatically succeed with a Distract action against the same target. You may use this trick a number of times per combat equal to your starting action dice.
     Armour Use I: At level 4, you gain the Soldier ability of this name.
     Armour Use II: At level 8, you gain the Soldier ability of this name.
     Study the Stance: At level 4, you gain the Edgemaster ability of this name.
     Rough Living: At level 6, you gain an iteration of the Scout ability of this name.
     Seamanship: At level 8, when you make an aquatic Navigation check or a  Ride check using the water vehicle focus, you may roll twice and keep the result you prefer. Further, when leading a Co-operative Check with that skill and focus, the maximum number of helpers is equal to your class level.
      Valhalla I Am Coming!: At level 10, your legend increases by 5, you gain the Bloodied, Bold & Resolute feat, and once per session as a free action at the start of combat, you and a total number of allies and mounts equal to your Strength score are considered to benefit from the Heroes Feast spell.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:04:14 PM by Medwyn » Logged
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:09:26 PM »

Your progressions are only 7 points, not 8, and some of your abilities are over powered.

Drop Shield Basics in favour of Glint of Madness, which provides a basis for Howl (which I recommend swapping with Seadog)

Pillage: At level 1, you gain the Adventurer's Luck feat.
     Rager I: At level 1, you gain the Rage Basics feat.
     Rager II: At level 5, you gain the Rage Mastery feat.
     Rager III: At level 9, you gain the Rage Supremacy feat.
     Seadog I: At level 2, you gain the Pathfinder Basics (aquatic) feat, and may cast Endure Elements once per session as a free action.
     Seadog II: At level 7, you gain the Pathfinder Supremacy feat, and may cast Endure Elements once per scene.
     Howl I: At Level 3, you may Threaten up to 3 standard opponents at once. You roll only once for the action, while each opponent rolls to resist separately.
     Howl II: At level 7, you gain the following trick.
     Howl (Threaten trick): When you succeed with a Threaten action, you also automatically succeed with a Distract action against the same target. You may use this trick a number of times per combat equal to your starting action dice.
     Armour Use I: At level 4, you gain the Soldier ability of this name.
     Armour Use II: At level 8, you gain the Soldier ability of this name.
     Study the Stance: At level 4, you gain the Edgemaster ability of this name.
     Rough Living: At level 6, you gain an iteration of the Scout ability of this name.
     Seamanship: At level 8, when you make an aquatic Navigation check or a  Ride check using the water vehicle focus, you may roll twice and keep the result you prefer. Further, when leading a Co-operative Check with that skill and focus, the maximum number of helpers is equal to your class level.
     Hammer of the Gods: At level 10, ...

Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:56:07 AM »

Hmmm seems I did miss count on the progression, I'll bump Lifestyle up to Medium.

I like most of what you've done Mister A, you have aligned things well.

The gamebreaker is still empty and I like the name, but I'm not sure exactly what I am after. I was toying with the idea of building an ability off Glint of Madness, or perhaps a 'reverse' Threaten action for allies, or maybe a rallying cry. But with a name such as Hammer of the Gods I think it should be about damage.

Hammer of the Gods: While in your Berserk Stance when you or a Teammate who can see and hear you rolls damage and the result is less than your Strength it becomes equal to your Strength.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 06:04:56 AM »

Valhalla I Am Coming!: At level 10, your legend increases by 5, you gain the Bloodied, Bold & Resolute feat, and once per session as a free action at the start of combat, you and a total number of allies and mounts equal to your Strength score are considered to benefit from the Heroes Feast spell.

Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 06:00:07 PM »

I think that will work quite well Mister A.
Doublebond
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 07:12:22 PM »

Seems quite nice, but it does seem to suffer from the several-abilities-in-1 tendency a lot of people around here seem to have.
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »

Seems quite nice, but it does seem to suffer from the several-abilities-in-1 tendency a lot of people around here seem to have.

Hmmmm, it does have quite a bit muddled into it. Perhaps, it could be reconfigured to be combined with an ability at Level 4 to try and spread out the several abilities.

Maybe move the feat and a casting of Heroism I for self only to Level 4 and then the Legend boost and Heroes Feast to allies at Level 10.

Or perhaps going back to Hammer of the Gods:

Hammer of the Gods: While in your Berserk Stance when you roll damage and the result is less than your Strength it becomes equal to your Strength. Further your Legend increases by 5.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 09:12:37 PM »

Some things just work better that way. This is one of them Wink
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:21:36 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: