Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 07:55:43 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Catfolk
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Catfolk  (Read 1732 times)
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 05:11:27 PM »

Buggerit. Ok, so how about +1 Strength [1] and +3 Athletics [1.5]? Maybe if I show my math it would help me out. Smiley That assumption make Blessed (Strength) exactly a 2.5 benefit, assuming a linear cost.
Lines up, then.  (Attributes are tricky, seeing as how they don't scale linearly at 1-to-1 cost.  I have the problem all the time, often it's best to compromise.)

Assuming the above trick looks workable, I'd probably just change it to +3.
I think you're selling the advantage way too much: Why would anyone want a bonus to only one part of the skill when they can have the same bonus to the whole skill?  (And then consider how extra Str may lead (via an odd score at attribute generation) to a further +1 bonus.)  I'd say at least keep the bonus at +4.

I called it 1 point. It's closer in value to improved stability (useful, but situation) than darvkvision II (can be used to purposefully create a tactical advantage). It looks pretty even with Hearty Appetite (some variable bonus, effectively) and Heroism (+1 during Dramatic scenes? Yes, please!).
I'd say that works.

The other thought I'm having is that the benefits aren't very dramatic. If it's worth doing, breaking it out into 2-feat chains may be the way to go.
Actually I should have mentioned it before now, but you could just give them the superior runner NPC quality.  Multiplies how far you can move during a run, perfect for simulating sprinting.
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 05:24:28 PM »

I think you're selling the advantage way too much: Why would anyone want a bonus to only one part of the skill when they can have the same bonus to the whole skill?  (And then consider how extra Str may lead (via an odd score at attribute generation) to a further +1 bonus.)  I'd say at least keep the bonus at +4.

Oh, right. So 4 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 0.5, right where I want it.

Actually I should have mentioned it before now, but you could just give them the superior runner NPC quality.  Multiplies how far you can move during a run, perfect for simulating sprinting.

I thought about that, but running doesn't make you tired in FC, and it doesn't allow you to move, then attack. It's probably a stretch to assume Charging Basics for a cheetah person to actually leverage this in combat. Superior runner would definitely go on the short list if I decided to mirror the Brave/Tribe/Crest two-feat pattern.
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 05:30:13 PM »

The other thought I'm having is that the benefits aren't very dramatic. If it's worth doing, breaking it out into 2-feat chains may be the way to go.

I know I made a stupidly huge thread to specifically not do this, but I actually did both of these with my cheetah-folk (I used a much higher Push Limit bonus, a 10 Con would still only give an extra +10ft to speed while using push limit and a higher return gives more subdual damage at the end, also my Catfolk have a con penalty):
Citrakayah I:
  • +1 Constitution
  • Preternatural Sprinter I: When using Push Limit to boost land speed (but not travel speed or strength) you may choose to gain a bonus to the check equal to your Constitution score.
  • Superior Runner I: When taking a run action, your speed multiplier is increased by 1.

Citrakayah II:
  • +1 to lower of Strength and Constitution
  • Preternatural Sprinter II: When you gain your bonus from Preternatural Sprinter, you may choose to change your Push Limit damage to Lethal, if you do, you gain the bonus a second time.
  • You also gain a trick:
    Swipe (Run Trick): You may take a Trip action against 1 adversary during your movement, ignoring adjacency for movement purposes, substituting your Athletics (Dex) bonus for your Acrobatics (Dex). If your target has a lower Dexterity than yours, fails the check and they took a Run action during their last initiative count, they also fail a damage save (if standard) or suffer damage as if struck by your Claw attack (if special).
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 05:40:58 PM »

I thought about that, but running doesn't make you tired in FC, and it doesn't allow you to move, then attack.
I didn't notice that.

EDIT: Maybe you could come up with a superior charger quality.

UPDATE: Also maybe this is too technical for FC, but cheetahs aren't long-distance runners, so the Push Limit trick wouldn't allow them to extend the time.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:50:22 PM by SilvercatMoonpaw » Logged
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 06:58:44 PM »

Different Stripe
You are one of the rarer, more elusive catfolk types.
Prerequisites: Catfolk, Level 1 only
Benefit: Choose a catfolk race.
Golden Raj: Haughty and intensely private, you are a creature of incredible grace and power. Your Strength raises by 1 and you gain a bonus of +3 on Athletics checks.
Clouded Death: You are a savage and secretive predator, at home in the densest forests. Your Constitution raises by 1. You gain the cat fall quality, and you gain a +4 on Climb checks.
Spotted Racer: Your Dexterity increases by 1, but your Constitution decreases by 1. Your ground speed increases by 10 ft. When you make a Push Limit check to increase ground speed, you may roll twice and take the better result, applying any increase to speed, not duration.

Distinguished Hunter
Prerequisites: Different Stripe
Benefit: You gain additional benefits based on your splinter race.
Golden Raj: Your Strength and Wisdom increase by 1 each, and your bonus to Athletics increases by +1 (+4 total).
Clouded Death: Your Strength increases by 1, and you gain a +3 bonus to Acrobatics checks.
Spotted Racer: You gain a +1 bonus to Defense, a +2 bonus to Push Limit checks, and you gain the superior runner I quality.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »

Golden Raj: Your Strength and Wisdom increase by 1 each, and your bonus to Athletics increases by +1 (+4 total).
"+1 (Specific A), +1 (Specific B)" [2 points] + "+1 whole skill" [1 point] = 3 points.

Clouded Death: Your Strength increases by 1, and you gain a +3 bonus to Acrobatics checks.
"+1 (Specific A)" [1 point] + "+3 whole skill" [3 points] = 4 points.

Spotted Racer: You gain a +1 bonus to Defense, a +2 bonus to Push Limit checks, and you gain the superior runner I quality.
"+1 Defense" [1 point] + "+2 part of skill" [0.5 points] + "superior runner I" [? points (I have it pegged as 0.5)] = maybe 2 points.
pawsplay