Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 06:38:39 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Fantasy Craft] A Whole Lotta Everything [Updated June 11th!]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Fantasy Craft] A Whole Lotta Everything [Updated June 11th!]  (Read 8030 times)
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »

Edit:Sorry for the horrifically long hiatus, I've found some of my old queue of requests but not all of them, so again, if there's anything you'd like to see, let me know!

When FantasyCraft came out, I decided rather than simply convert the D&D campaign setting we used I would put together a whole new campaign world that my players could tear up and throw to the wind over multiple adventures. The world itself, now called Five Kingdoms, was half built during it's first campaign and heavily influenced by the play styles of what I consider my particularly diverse group of players, as well as direct requests for things they missed from Spycraft, D&D, Scion, Vampire, and a handful of other systems we played before FantasyCraft came in. I won't lie that it's heavily derivative and in many ways I wanted to make a world that could be used as that familiar traditional or high fantasy world (if only because my hope was it would last over many, widely varied campaigns without feeling contrived)

It started with a region and some deities which grew into paths, then renown, feats, classes, specialties/species, equipment- a lot of stuff for my players to keep track of and so I decided to compile and format everything nicely into a single book that I just finished this last week and got printed off at a downright scary 310 pages. It isn't as daunting a read as it might sound, however, having the benefit of only intended to print off a book or two over the Crafty guys' very large numbers I was able to rewrite things like Species to be as easy to use as possible, even if it means they take up far more page space- and there are also a great many pictures.)

I'm not soliciting the campaign setting, at least not today, of course I like it and I think some people could get use out of it, so on the off chance someone is particularly interested I can put up some information.

I also can't put up the whole book- first of all I don't have Adobe Acrobat so my variety of other PDF editing programs lack some of the finesse and the beast clocks in at about 300mb, though it would be a lot lighter without images and maps. And second, there's also reprinted material, all FC species and species feats are reprinted in it to make it a little easier on my players (just so they're all consolidated), including Adventure Companion.

However! I do have a whole lot of new stuff you guys might be interested in- one of the things I liked about D&D (even if it didn't do it well) was how it offered players a huge amount of choice in what they could be as far as race and class are concerned (even if many of them weren't reasonable at the time) I tried to bring this back a little bit, hopefully skipping the "didn't do it well" part.

It would be unreasonable and more importantly unreadable if I tried to put up everything, but what I thought I might do is put up a list of what I've got and see if anyone is still interested:

Species: This is a big, big part of the book, first off the races are expanded to be a little easier to read, and are grouped with their subraces which can be bought as feats (basically just moving and reformatting Species feats to be more readily accessible). 18 new species and Centaur/Satyr converted from Spycraft, I don't know for sure how many are new but if I remember right the subrace count is over 150-
(These races are listed with attribute modifiers, size, and type here)
Angel (2 subraces and a "list" type subrace)
Animal Lord (List-type subrace)
Catfolk (3 Subraces)
Changeling (3 Subraces)
Demon (2 subraces and a list type subrace)
Dragon (not Drake) (Subrace and list type subrace)
Gryphon (6 subraces)
Hobgoblin (List subrace)
Janni (3 subraces)
Kenku (3 subraces)
Kobold (2 subraces)
Nymph (4 subraces)
Rakshasa (3 subraces)
Ratfolk (4 subraces)
Shadow (2 subraces)
Sprite (5 subraces)
Stone Walker (2 subraces)
Yuan-Ti (4 subraces)
Plus a whole bunch of subraces for all the FC races (pages of Unborn stuff)

Talents: 16 Talents, though about 10 are setting-related (See a full list here) These are now up in full in this post

Specialties:66 new specialties, Find 50 of them here! About half of them are trying to emulate classes from other d20 systems (d20 Modern/Urban Arcana, Iron Heroes, D&D supplements) in the same way the base D&D classes were mimicked in FC (See a full list here)

Species Feats: A lot of these are setting specific, but there's a set of feats for Vampires that try to include the ability to play almost any "feel" of vampire you're familiar with, and "zoanthrope" feats, that let you become a shapeshifter, as well as new rules for each (moon influence, drinking blood, etc).

1 Base Class (Primer): New base classes are tough to come up with! This one is heavily influenced by The Witcher. Find it here

24 Expert Classes: 12 are new and half of them are built almost to be variant Paladins representing paragons of different organizations, the rest are converted from Spycraft (also a variant, less-snipery Deadeye).

Path-based (Paladin-esque) Expert classes:
Black Kestrel - Knightly order focused on breadth of skill and personal value
Horizon Walker - Rangers, effectively, with mobile, diverse combat styles
Knight of Wrought Iron - Not a real knightly order, horse-riding wandering paladins
Scarlet Fang Revenant - Evil, horrific "lycanthrope"
Silver Ruby Knight - Lycanthrope hunting lycanthrope
Vassal of Terra - Setting-related druids

Other "new" classes:
Bounty Hunter - Influenced by the Star Wars class of the same name
Chameleon - Master of Disguise (influenced by Master of Masks, Chameleon, Spy Master from D&D)
Dreamwalker - Semi-setting-specific, gains path-based powers from the realm of dreams rather than alignments.
Duskcloak - Shadow infused thief-type, sort of like a non-magical Mist Dancer
Elemental Savant - Influenced by the D&D class of the same name, caster who becomes an elemental
Tinker - Any-crafting-based Alchemist variant

Spycraft Conversions:
Breaker (Grunt, uses Massive weapons)
Con-Artist
Commando
Daredevil
Flying Blade (Hurled Weapon Triggerman)
Healer (Field Medic)
Ninja
Raptor
Schemer
Tactician
Virtuoso

Master Classes:
Amarmaethora (Elven City High Guard type)
Ambassador of Concord (Clerical type who promotes a bond between two warring sister deities)
Ancient Dragon (Based on my alternate Dragon (not Drake) species)
Archmage
Articulate Spirit (Based on my alternate Angel species)
Cirendeth T'Sorai
Citadel Bulwark (Goliath converted from World on Fire)
Constellate Celebrant (Super setting specific, uses almost exclusively house rules)
Exalted Master (Hattori Hanzo/Masazane Fujiware style exceptional, awe inspiring smith)
Legendary Automaton (Uses my heavily altered Unborn rules, but is based around modifying yourself via construct-based benefits, unborn or not)
Legendary War Chief (Legendary Orc converted from Classic Fantasy and opened to other orc-like species)
Transcendent Hero (Legendary Pech from Classic Fantasy converted to be species-less and generally more action die based)
True-Blooded Shifter (Iconic Master Class for zoanthropes/lycanthropes)

Other Feats: There are a whole lot of these, I don't know a good way to list them, if anyone has better ideas than this, let me know:
Basic Combat: 11 Feats - a lot of these are setting specific or converted from World on Fire
Melee Combat: 5 Feats - Melee Adaptation (for beasts) and Reactive B/M/S, a quick-draw combat style
Ranged Combat: 13 Feats - Close-Quarters feats from Spycraft as well as what amounts to Ranged Cleave and feats to make Crossbows and Grenades more viable
Unarmed Combat: 21 Feats - I believe all the feats from Spycraft that weren't already converted
Covert Feats: 10 Feats - Spycraft conversions and feats for better Trap laying
Crafting Feats: 2/5 Feats - Setting Specific and variant Crafting B/M/S rules (to function more like Pathfinder B/M/S)
Spellcasting Feats: 32 Feats - "Tome of Battle"-style feats for Melee, Unarmed, and Ranged combat, Soulknife feats, Blood Magic feats, and lots of non-casting magical effects.
Style Feats: 7 Feats - Mostly setting specific and Spycraft conversions here

Feat posting has been disorderly at best- find a healthy smattering of feats here (for Improved Critical and Familiar feats) and at the bottom of this long post (for a little bit of everything, but mostly Spellcasting)

Gear:
Expanded Elixirs: With a Witcher-influenced class, I brought in more complicated alchemy with the four alchemical stages and a wide variety of "bases" replacing Distilled and Gaseous (instead with Water, alcohol, gas bases, (and seven others)), as well as Alchemical Fire/Ice/etc
Food & Drink: A few new food types and a hugely expanded drink, booze, and spirit list with setting-specific drinks

Expanded Fittings: I use the Descriptive armor rules, and each fitting gives a small (General Equipment level) bonus.

Craftsmanships/Materials/Upgrades: Variant rules to prevent stacking of upgrades (Vented, for example, gives Heat 6 and Damage Vulnerability (Cold)), a lot of new upgrades for weapons and armor, and a huge list of Craftsmanships (25 for armor, 34 for weapons) and Materials (13 for armor, 21 for weapons)

Variant Rules: Besides a lot of small things and Descriptive Armor, Renown is a little different (and by proxy, more powerful), so there are rules for widely expanded heroic renown as well as region-specific military and noble renown. Titles are only granted at 1, 4, 8, and 10, with set benefits being granted at every odd rank ranging from access to new favors, upgrades, to granting small persistent benefits, to supplied equipment. There's a big list of renown (60 different trees with unique benefits and titles) including rules for Infamy (negative renown) and Clerical renown.
I'm sure there are more variant rules but I've been using/building them over a year so I'm not sure what's not core anymore, haha, if I think of more, I'll add them in.

Variant Rules:
Expanded Elixirs
Expanded Fittings

A few notes, I've said on the forums that I like races a little more powerful- this is a pretty good way of looking at it, though I really just value certain things differently than the FC guys- nothing against them or their balance, it's all just how my players play, I've had the same group for quite a while and I generally know how they work.
This might show up in my feats as well, I'd love to hear where people think things are unbalanced or unfair, as a big problem with having a group you always use- you don't get wide exposure at all. Anyway, maybe some people will agree with the different values I put on things, and maybe some can still get use out of the information with a little bit of alteration.

Also, my species are a mix of errata'd and not, I use slightly altered Iconic Classes (lower Starting Action Dice by 1 or start with 2 fewer action dice each session but keep the same AD count for abilities),I use Iconic Specialties with a bit of added leeway (Specialties that grant species feats are always iconic), and can be bought off, and I used Banned Actions, which function, actually, like Restricted Actions and can also be bought off (with interests).

Thanks for checking out this huge post, sorry for the wall of text- I just had to put something out here, I'm sure the Crafty guys know much more than me how nice that huge sigh of relief is when you finish something like this (and this isn't even finished- it's more of a shift from Alpha to Beta)

Edit: This whole thing is just a big list of stuff, the point of putting it up here is to see if anyone would be interested in seeing any parts of it specifically. I would love to get wider critique but it's waay too much to post, so this way people could see specific things or groups of things they're interested in, and I could hopefully get at least some of that critique as well. (And I feel like this is also a better option than posting little bits all over other people's threads!)

Edit again: Updated this big post with links for easier navigation, now I just need to find the list of requested stuff!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:53:33 PM by Deral » Logged
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 02:17:21 PM »

I'd be interested in seeing the whole thing. A bunch of the stuff you have listed is things I had already been planning on working on for a game world of my own as well.
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:51:28 AM »

I had someone message me asking for the Primer and Forge stuff- Forge will take a while (but I'll definitely try to at least get potions up), but here's Primer (very heavily Witcher-influenced), forgive formatting errors, my table didn't like trying to convert over and most of this is pasted from the document, but almost all formatting is lost, so there may be some stray tabs or missed bolding.

Primer (Base)
Primer represent specially trained warriors, augmented with magic and alchemy, they tend to be loners and outsiders, and because of that the class has a strong draw to races who are reviled. When they do find themselves part of a group, they tend to surround themselves with oddities, either out of curiosity, a desire to fit in, or perhaps even a distaste for “normals.”
   Depending on your character, a Primer could be:
   -A rugged monster hunter, using clever tricks and unique tactics and knowledge to fell the    most fearsome of beasts
   -An alchemical or magical experiment subjected to countless tests and concoctions, against his will, forged into something greater than a mere warrior
   -A specialized golem with unheard of capabilities and talents
   -A specially trained member of a cabal of warriors who ritualistically submit themselves to repeated trials and modifications
   -A warrior and student of the occult who uses every trick he can to raise the playing field advantage for himself
Party Role: Combatant/Wildcard. You're a powerful fighter, an amazing frontliner and certainly built toward being in the middle of combat, in fact, with time you might find yourself even hardier than the soldier. On the other hand, you can become a rather impressive scholar and alchemist if you put your mind to it, and you likely will always keep a few potions up your sleeve.
Vitality: 12+Con mod
Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Crafting, Intimidate, Investigate, Notice, Resolve, Sense Motive, Tactics
Skill Points: 4+Int Mod
Proficiencies: 6
BAB: Good
Fort Saves: Good
Ref Saves: Average
Will Saves: Average
Defense: Average
Initiative: Average
Lifestyle: Poor
Legend: Poor

Core Ability –
Alchemical Metabolism: You may benefit from one potion each scene, if the scene lasts longer than a day, then you may benefit from one potion each day of the scene. Also, at any time you may spend 1 action die to benefit from an additional potion.
Class Abilities –
Rites of Initiation: At 1st level, you gain the Guts feat. If the feat grants no actual benefit (For example, if you have the Construct type), you instead gain a bonus Species feat.
Bookworm I: At 2nd level, you gain the Explorer ability
Bookworm II: At 11th level, you gain the Explorer ability
Bookworm III: At 19th level, you gain the Explorer ability
Bonus Feat: At levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 19 you gain a Melee, Gear, or Primer feat.
Mutation: The magic in your blood slowly takes a grip over you and you begin to take on mutations. At 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th level, choose one from the following list:
   Cat Eyes: You gain Darkvision I, this mutation may be chosen twice.
   Strong Blood: You become immune to poisons.
   Stalwart Blood: You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls and a +5ft bonus to speed when bleeding or sickened. This mutation may be chosen twice, when taken a second time you gain the bonus when fatigued or shaken. Multiple conditions grant separate bonuses and stack, but multiple grades do not.
   Altered Metabolism: When under the effects of a poison or potion, you gain a +1 bonus to    attack checks, defense and reflex saves. This mutation may be chosen twice, when taken a second time you become immune to bleeding and automatically stabilize when under the effects of a potion or poison.
   Focused Strength: You gain the Great Fortitude, Iron Will, or Lightning Reflexes feat. This    mutation may be chosen multiple times, choosing a different feat each time.
   Unearthly Beauty: You gain the Comely, Elegant, or Enchanting feat. This mutation may be chosen multiple times, choosing a different feat each time.
   Hidden Promise: You gain the Hidden Promise feat.
   Resistant Body: You gain 5 extra wound points.
   Tough Body: Your critical injury and massive damage thresholds are each increased by 5.
   Tough Skin: You gain Thick Hide 2.
   Defensive Reflexes: You gain a +5 bonus to any checks or saves that would make you blinded or deafened.
   Inner Furnace: You gain the hearty appetite trait.
Signs and Primers: You learn simple magics using arcane methods and your altered blood called Signs or Primers. Casting a sign requires you to have one free hand and may be used once per scene without penalty, upon being used a second time and every time thereafter for the same scene you gain 1 grade of baffled, if you have 5 grades of baffled you cannot use signs, even if doing so wouldn't inflict a grade of baffled however, a sign can never be used more than once per round and cannot be used if the same sign was used in the previous round. Also, unless noted otherwise, other characters block line of effect for signs, striking the first they encounter. You gain more signs as you progress, at 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th and 18th level, choose one from the following list:
   Primer of Fire: You control flame with your very fingertips, you're always considered to have firesteel, which may be used as a free action- this ability does not count as a use of the sign. As a half action you may target 1 adjacent character with an attack roll, if successful, the target takes 1d6 (AP 5) fire damage. If you take a full action instead, you may target a character up to 15ft away and the damage becomes 2d6 (AP 5) fire.
   Primer of Air: You harness the basic nature of air, with the wind always at your back your travel speed increases by 1 MPH, this ability is always active and does not count as a use of the sign. As a free action you may give yourself a +10 bonus to one jump check as long as it is made within one minute. If you spend a half action instead, you are also considered to be running for your next jump check. If you spend a full action, you gain both previous effects as well as an extra +10. Jump checks given a bonus by this sign are not limited by your height.
   Primer of Magic: You gain rudimentary control over the very basic stuff of magic, and the tug of the ley lines is constant. You're considered to always have the equivalent of a compass and a magnet, “usable” to what extent they are as a free action- this ability does not count as a use of the sign. As a half action you may target 1 adjacent character with an attack roll, if successful, the target takes 1d8 force damage. If you take a full action instead, you may target a character up to 20ft away and the damage becomes 2d8 force.
   Sign of Fenn: You learn a magical ritual using several complex signs, immediately after having rested for eight hours, make a one minute resolve check with a -5 penalty, you heal an amount of vitality, subdual, and stress damage equal to the result. Also, immediately after combat you may take a 1 minute resolve check (DC 20) to heal an amount of vitality, stress or subdual equal to your constitution score.
   Sign of Arda: You learn one style of the Vela Primer, a complex and varied telekinetic primer. As a half action, you may target one character within 15ft with a disarm action. If you take a full round action instead, you may target all characters within a 15ft cone with a disarm action, making one roll and applying to every target within the area. Alternatively, you may take a full round action to target one adjacent character with a disarm action, gaining a +2 bonus on the check and sending the disarmed item an additional 5ft away in any direction you choose if successful.
   Sign of Oeun: You learn one style of the Vela Primer, a complex and varied telekinetic primer. As a half action, you may target one character within 15ft with a trip action. If you take a full round action instead, you may target all characters within a 15ft cone with a trip action, making one roll and applying to every target within the area. Alternatively, you may take a full round action to target one adjacent character with a trip action, gaining a +2 bonus on the check and moving the target 5ft in any direction if you succeed.
   Sign of Grahn: You learn one style of the Vela Primer, a complex and varied telekinetic primer. As a half action, you may target one character within 15ft with a bull rush action. If you take a full round action instead, you may target all characters within a 15ft cone with a bull rush action, making one roll and applying to every target within the area. Alternatively, you may take a full round action to target one adjacent character with a bull rush action, gaining a +6 bonus on the check.
   Sign of Kas: You learn one style of the Vela Primer, a complex and varied telekinetic primer. As a half action, you may target one character within 15ft with a tire action, If you take a full round action instead, you may target all characters within a 15ft cone with a tire action, making one roll and applying to every target within the area. Alternatively, you may take a full round action to target one adjacent character with a tire action, dealing 1d10 subdual instead of 1d6.
   Sign Mastery: Choose two signs or primers you know, when you trigger one, you trigger the other as a free action, when multiple actions can be chosen, you take the one with the same length as the one you activated, in the case of a tie, you may choose.
Unique Charm: At 10th level, you and every teammate you have loses any Reviled qualities they may have. Also, you gain 1 human talent.
   At 20th level, you and each of your teammates gain 1 human talent.
Brink of Change: At 14th level, using a mixture of magic, alchemy and sheer will you've completed your most potent mutation, one entirely unique to yourself. Each of your attributes increases by one and you gain a species feat, ignoring any “Level 1 Only” requirements- at the GM's discretion, other prerequisites may be ignored.

Primer Feats
Note: These feats count as Spellcasting Feats.
Expert Sign
Prerequisites: None
Benefit: If you choose, your signs may target a 15ft cone (if they previously had a single target, one roll is made, applied to all characters within the area) or a 15ft sphere (if they previously had a cone area).

Heightened Sign
Prerequisites: Two signs or primers.
Benefit: One of your signs becomes more powerful, choose one sign or primer you know, when you activate it as a half action, you may choose for the effect to instead the that of the full action ability. Also, you gain a new use for your sign;
   Fire: When you take a full action to activate Fire, you deal a number of d6 fire (AP 5) damage equal to your starting action dice
   Air: When you take a full action to activate Air, the bonus remains for a number of rounds equal to your starting action dice + 1, starting after your first jump.
   Magic: When you take a full action to activate Magic, you can choose to channel the damage through a single melee attack. Attack as normal with a weapon you're wielding, if you hit, the damage is converted to Force, and you deal your weapon's damage a second time, if your target is a spellcaster, they also lose 1 spell point.
   Fenn: Though the sign of Fenn gains no other benefits, you may pass on its benefits to a number of teammates equal to your current action dice each time you use it.
   Arda: If you take a full action to activate Arda, anyone you successfully disarm is also flat-footed.
   Oeun: If you take a full action to activate Oeun, anyone you successfully trip is also entangled for 1 round.
   Grahn: You may take a full action to activate Grahn, dealing 2d10 (AP 5) force damage to any scenery in the area, you may also activate Grahn's half action ability as part of the same action.
   Kas: If you take a full action to activate Kas, anyone you successfully tire is also sickened for 1d6 rounds

Primer
Prerequisites: Resolve 6+ Ranks
Benefit: You gain one primer or sign from the Primer ability, it carries all the standard restrictions, but if this feat is the only place you receive signs or primers from, you must make a Resolve check (DC 20) to cast the sign, if you fail, the sign is not cast and you gain one grade of baffled.

Sorcerous Apprentice
Prerequisites: Heightened Sign
Benefit: You may use each of your signs one additional time per scene before they begin inflicting Baffled grades.

Sorcerous Devotee
Prerequisites: Sorcerous Apprentice
Benefit: Using signs no longer inflicts Baffled grades upon you. All other requirements remain, however.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:39:34 AM »

For what it's worth, I will very happily read everything that anyone posts on the forum, especially new rules.  It always fascinates me how other people think, and the things they come up with [or even different ways to solve the same problem].  I'm happy to give feedback for anything you post up too, if I can think of anything.
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »

For what it's worth, I will very happily read everything that anyone posts on the forum, especially new rules.  It always fascinates me how other people think, and the things they come up with [or even different ways to solve the same problem].  I'm happy to give feedback for anything you post up too, if I can think of anything.
That's what this is about- sharing stuff and getting feedback while I'm at it.

Still not quite sure what the best way of putting several pages worth of tables up here would be, but in the mean time, here's what I did with elixirs:
(My current, terrible solution is a screenshot from the PDF) (I just noticed this has Cocktail and other FC-written-equivalents, if they need to be edited out please let me know)

Elixir Upgrades
   Alcohol Base: Often distilled from strong liquors like vodka  or even pure grain alcohol (most alcoholic potency is lost in the process- typically reduced to something comparable to a glass of wine), this base has the added benefit of mixing quite well into the drinks of unsuspecting targets.
   Bone Base: This variation of elixir is traditionally made when alchemical substances are condensed into a stick-like form which is then sharpened and heated, then used to etch symbols into small bones, usually finger bones if humanoid, to be activated by breaking.
   Cocktail: These cocktails combine the effects of two different elixirs, though uncommon and costly, are very effective.
   Distilled: With time and focus, elixirs can be further distilled to have their potency increased.
   Gaseous Base: These elixirs are typically bound to a powder stored in an easily breakable container (thin glass, typically) that, upon contact with air sublimates into an impressive cloud of transparent gas.
   Gelatin Base: Thick greases and gelatin may be used in the creation of elixirs, beyond an unpleasant sensation this has little effect on potions and vials but creates a far denser, if more difficult to apply, oil.
   Oil Base: Common lantern oils (typically vegetable oils), for a number of reasons, accept alchemical bonds almost as readily as water. Without any other alterations this would function as normal, this base represents special alchemical processes that prevent even metabolized oil-based potions from triggering until they have suffered shock or reached high temperatures.
   Paper Base: Using rediscovered ancient Giant alchemy and magic, paper with certain written incantations may be soaked in an alchemical substance, and with intentful word an intrinsic bond may be made between the substance and the target. This has the added dramatic benefit of bursting the paper into flame.
   Powder Base: Not a true base, a double batch of water-base elixir may be soaked into any number of fine powders, typically extremely fine sugar, the result is a slowly lingering mist that, when inhaled, metabolizes like a normal potion.
   Sugar Base: When alchemical substances are bound to sugar, the body accepts, metabolizes and excretes them at alarming speeds, the benefit of this primarily being no residual alchemical build up, allowing for safe use of multiple elixirs in a shorter amount of time.
   Water Base: By default most potions use water as their base. Water naturally excepts almost all alchemical bonds without difficulty, and mixes with all water-based drinks quite readily.
   Wax Base: Animal wax (typically Beeswax, but others, often tallow and even lanolin, are possible), due to their ties to living creatures can house alchemical substances. Interestingly enough these elixirs seem to metabolize themselves, but may be readily activated by shock (ie, chewing). With resin and vermillion an interesting but viable option becomes available- alchemical sealing wax, in which the effects of a vial may be bound, triggered by the shock of breaking, but not the touch of fire.

Basic Elixir Upgrades
   A few types of Elixirs are considered “Basic” elixirs, these are as follows: Confidence, Healing, Mana, Refreshing, Vitality, Acid, Anointed, and Oil of Ether. The following upgrades may only be applied to those Elixir types:
   Compressed: Basic vials (and elixirs with certain bases) may be stored in highly pressurized form without losing effectiveness.
   Potent: The simple nature of these elixirs allows for extensive distilling, creating even more potent versions.
   Refined: The most heavily purified basic elixirs may be further infused with the essences of similar or identical elixirs, the result is a far more predictable output.

Alchemical Components
   All alchemical creations make use of the four alchemical stages, albedo, citrinitas, nigredo, and rubedo, but with the proper components, timing, and skill an alchemist may focus on or draw forth a particular stage or stages, these upgrades represent that process and may only be applied to potions:
   Albedo: Albedo is metabolized in the stomach, and in moderate amounts actually strengthens the core and digestion. Albedo-dominant potions tend to be blue or white.
   Citrinitas: Citrinitas is not metabolized but rather stored in cranial cavities, often the lining of the brain. Deadly in high concentrations the amount in potions would require thousands of imbibings before any side effects were noticed. In moderation, it acts as a sort of clearing agent and increases blood flow to the brain. Citrinitas-dominant potions tend to be green or yellow.
   Nigredo: Nigredo is metabolized in the muscles and increases muscle regeneration and twitch reaction, increases the blows of the subject. Nigredo-dominant potions tend to be black or purple.
   Rubedo: Rubedo is metabolized in the lungs and carried by the bloodstream, aiding in external clotting as well as the breakdown of internal clots and the rebuilding of tissue. Rubedo-dominant potions tend to be orange or red.
   Concentrated: Rare and difficult-to-work-with components allow an alchemist to create potions with significantly more potent component effects.
   Heterogeneous: Special mixing chemicals and a lot of nerve-wracking grain-counting can yield a potion with two dominant components.
   Homogeneous: A mindful and well-researched alchemist can make sure that not just the end result, but also every substance used in the creation of a potion has the same dominant component, the sum of which is a particularly potent alchemical dominance.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »

Are only your races more powerful, or are other things?
jameswllorimer
Agent

"Alea iacta est" - The die is cast

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:21:21 PM »

Wow, that's a very impressive conversion from the Witcher game, and very compatible with what's already available from the FC guys themselves. Bravo!

I'll be trying to fit this in somewhere, after I've run my Epoch game for a while that is!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:32:17 PM by jameswllorimer » Logged
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 12:28:52 PM »

Are only your races more powerful, or are other things?

That one really depends on how you define power, I'd say that elixirs are a fair amount more powerful simply because of the variety of upgrades, even if they aren't especially potent individually, the thing with the races- I build 7 point races (when I can, homebrew abilities are mostly given the eye) but they aren't really more powerful, I just value some things differently, I don't have a single good example that could encompass all the little things, but a good, albeit narrow, example is Natural Attacks- while they're useful and often still powerful, after Adventure Companion, I pretty clearly don't put as much value on them as the Crafty Guys- no offense to their work or anything, that's just the case. Their Living Weapon and Custom Construction are combined for my players (Along with a bunch of new options, about 30 total), and a character receives two benefits, rather than one.

So, obviously, some species feats are more "powerful" because of this, but everything, including those feats, I tried to balance against FC precedent. As for anything else- Renown is a bit more powerful but that's a bit too setting specific to be something I'm really offering up.

Still- I'm not saying they're astronomically powerful or anything, sometimes when you're writing a whole system you have to err on the side of caution to prevent abuse, sometimes making things slightly weaker in the process, I was less mindful of this because I know how my players will handle things,  but even still, species themselves are only ever likely to be 1 or maybe 2 points higher than the standard 7, and species feats do follow a bit more the pre-errata route and tend to be 3 points (for first tier) and 4 points (for second tier), but like I said, I tried to balance them against what I saw in FC.
Wow, that's a very impressive conversion from the Witcher game, and very compatible with what's already available from the FC guys themselves. Bravo!

I can still I'll be trying to fit this in somewhere, after I've run my Epoch game for a while that is!
Also, thanks! Glad to hear it might be of some use to you!
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 01:41:01 PM »

Excellent work on the alchemical upgrades.  I think the screenshot approach might actually work best for this kind of thing - the forums table tools are somewhat nightmarish to get to work at all, let alone display in a neatly formatted fashion.
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 01:49:36 PM »

Excellent work on the alchemical upgrades.  I think the screenshot approach might actually work best for this kind of thing - the forums table tools are somewhat nightmarish to get to work at all, let alone display in a neatly formatted fashion.

Thanks! And screenshot was definitely my best short term solution, I'm not sure I want to delve into that much bbcode.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 07:57:51 PM »

Still- I'm not saying they're astronomically powerful or anything, sometimes when you're writing a whole system you have to err on the side of caution to prevent abuse, sometimes making things slightly weaker in the process, I was less mindful of this because I know how my players will handle things,  but even still, species themselves are only ever likely to be 1 or maybe 2 points higher than the standard 7, and species feats do follow a bit more the pre-errata route and tend to be 3 points (for first tier) and 4 points (for second tier), but like I said, I tried to balance them against what I saw in FC.
This is sort of what I was asking about: you build races a few points higher than in the Second Printing baseline.  I'm just wondering if other of the things you made, such as the alchemical solutions, are above this hypothetical baseline.
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 08:34:11 PM »

This is sort of what I was asking about: you build races a few points higher than in the Second Printing baseline.  I'm just wondering if other of the things you made, such as the alchemical solutions, are above this hypothetical baseline.

Ok, sorry for all the misunderstanding, let me amend my original comment about races: First off, this pertains only to Species and Species feats as they follow a point system that I like but don't 100% agree with all the time. There is no baseline or even apparent baseline besides FantasyCraft itself, I don't build 9 point races, I build a 7 point race but maybe think a select few abilities are worth less than they're valued at, so, should some of those abilities come into use they may not jive precisely with others' concepts.

This has nothing to with anything other than Species and Species feats, even Talents and Specialties (which also have a point system attributed to them) should be completely fine. Everything else was, or at least was written to be, balanced against other, similar things in FC whenever possible and to my very best judgment in any other case (Not that this wasn't done with Species and Species feats). So, my input on the matter can't really go any farther than that, I feel they're balanced for FC because I wrote them with that intent, otherwise they wouldn't have reached this stage in their current state, everything else you'd have to judge for yourself.

Hopefully that will clear everything up, if not, just let me know.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 08:41:28 PM »

It's good enough for me.  It was just a question of warning what you might have done differently in the process.
Khaalis
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 05:26:38 AM »

If you are up to it, I'd like to see more on your Renown system and some examples.
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 03:41:36 PM »

If you are up to it, I'd like to see more on your Renown system and some examples.
It's nothing too special, I just have noble and military renown each broken down into kingdom, region, or racial groups, (Cadian Noblility, Outlands Military, Dwarven Nobility, etc) that count as lower renown outside of their native areas. Heroic Renown is then laid out for each of the major factions, most of these function equally well pretty much regardless of where you are.

After a few play-throughs, I've made Infamy optional, so some of the more notorious renown can be Infamous renown, which puts a bounty on the player's head (at minimum acting as Incentive modifiers for dialog), but is also considered 2 higher for favors and recognition, as well as a slight boost to the player's legend.

I reduced the number of titles a player goes through (if only for my own sanity), and added benefits to every odd level, typically ones you cannot gain through other means. Originally this was set up before the errata when Renown was 50 reputation, even though it's dropped to 30, I decided to keep it, I like the way it feels (and my players like the more tangible gains), and I haven't run into any balance issues.

Here are a couple examples (I haven't got a good way to put up tables, so this will have to do, I also cut out the descriptions and other information as it isn't exactly pertinent here):

Guild of Craftsmen (Despite the bland name, this is a multiple-kingdom spanning organization of extraordinary craftsmen, the name is simple to denote a certain authentic or exemplary status)
          Title                   Benefit
1       Apprentice         In Dwarven and Gnomish regions, counts as Noble renown of equal rank for favors
3                                Discount: All Kits have their prices reduced by 50% for you
4       Artisan
5                                When using Crafting to earn income during downtime, you produce double the normal amount, triple if you have Crafting Mastery, and quadruple if you have Crafting Supremacy
7                                Each of your holdings gains a Crafting assistant of the highest grade it may support that does not count against other assistants
8       Master
9                                New Favor: Jury Rigging: Choose 1 type of equipment (Weapons, Elixirs, Armor, etc), all of the party's equipment of that type gains +1 error range and the benefits of 1 non-material upgrade of your choice for the rest of the adventure (Time: D, Cost: 10+(2x Complexity Increase))
10    Exalted Master

Hands of Hope (May be Infamous) (More heroic renown, this is a group of somewhat militant liberators, typically anti-slavery but not always so narrowly focused)
(Note: This has a Supplied entry, supplied gear granted by renown is given to the character when the requisite rank is gained and replaced each adventure if lost, but not if sold (paying for a new set of equipment will renew the Supplied effect).)
1     Hand         Your Renown is considered 2 higher for Safe Passage and Support favors, and neither have a Minimum Downtime for you
3                       New Holding Room: Hidden Shelter: Requires Search DC 25 to find, can conceal up to 1/3 holding's total guests. Also grants the benefits of an Escape Passage
4     Breaker of Bonds
5                       Supplied: Fully Upgraded Actor's Props and Thieves Tools
7                       You gain 1 rank in any other Heroic Renown you have access to
8     Transcendent Emancipator
9                        Once per adventure, as a free action, you may gain 3 action dice that must immediately be spent on an Unexpected Help perk.
10     Paragon of Freedom

One more heroic renown for the road:
Vassal of Terra (Effectively my setting's druids)
1     Vassal     You may ignore the (City) tag
3                    In predominantly natural surroundings, delivery, safe haven, and support favors have their prices reduced by 50% for you
4     Druid
5                    You gain a Grove, a Scale 2 Holding with the equivalent of a Library, Stable, and 1 workshop of your choice
7                    New Favor: Blessing - Terra's Kiss: For the rest of the adventure, natural animals have their starting disposition towards the party increased by 20. Unnatural animals and low-intelligence beasts (INT < 9) have their dispositions increased by 10. (Cost: 20)
8     High Druid
9                    Choose one of the following from the bestiary: Ancient Giant Eagle, Unicorn, or Will O' the Wisp you gain one of that creature as a partner grade contact (other options may be available as the GM allows). Also, your grove gains one guard compliment of a suitable Beast or Plant.
10   Heirophant

There are also regional and kingdom-based pure Infamy tracks that just represent being wanted or generally infamous within an area, these have the same lowering effect as Noble and Military renown outside their home region.

Infamy, Cadian (Cadia is a kingdom of long windswept grasslands fueled by a lifeblood of horses)
1     Brigand     Outside of Cadian borders, this renown is also considered 2 lower for Bounties
3                      You may access your Stake from anywhere
4     Grifter
5                      Vehicles and Mounts sell for 25% more for you
7                      Lodging and Stabling are free for you across Cadia, without increased risk of exposure
8     Marauder
9                      New Favor: Blessing - Wind: Your travel speed increases by 4 mph or to 2 higher than that of any pursuer or target of your own pursuit (So long as you're aware of them), whichever is higher. (Cost: 15)
10   Black Rider

Most Infamy tracks tend to have increased sell prices, rather than discounts, but other than that vary as much as any other track. There are a number of different things granted by the tracks, some more tangible than others, discounts, contacts, otherwise inaccessible materials or craftsmanships for weapons and armor. For the most part my intention was to make Rank 5 give a benefit a little weaker than a feat, and rank 9 to give something about on par with a Cross-class ability, the remainder tend to be weaker, or placeholders if I make a particularly strong Rank 5, I could have the stronger ability wait till 7, with a holdover in 5.

If there's anything specific about the Renown trees or rules you still want to know, go ahead and ask, I'm not entirely sure what all you were interested in, so this is the smattering of information you get.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: